I have a very strange feeling about this... -- Luke Skywalker

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?

SubjectAuthor
* Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?David
+* Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?David
|`* Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?Colin Bignell
| `* Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?Jethro_uk
|  +* Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?David
|  |`- Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?alan_m
|  +- Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?Colin Bignell
|  `* Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?wasbit
|   +- Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?The Natural Philosopher
|   `- Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?alan_m
+* Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?Joe
|`- Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?Davey
+- Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?Jeff Layman
+* Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?wasbit
|+* Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?Rod Speed
||`- Re: Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!Peeler
|`* Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?wasbit
| `* Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?Jethro_uk
|  +* Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?alan_m
|  |+- Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?Jethro_uk
|  |`- Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?Jeff Layman
|  +* Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?Joe
|  |`* Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?nibble
|  | `- Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?Davey
|  `* Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?wasbit
|   `* Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?charles
|    `* Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?alan_m
|     `- Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?AlanC
`- Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?David

Pages:12
Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?

<l24hvdFhr8rU11@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123569&group=uk.d-i-y#123569

From: wibble@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?
Date: 2 Feb 2024 16:01:49 GMT
 by: David - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 16:01 UTC

I had a look at the dashcam thread and most responders seem to be using
Nextbase.

Which models are you using, and why did you chose that particular model,
please?

I am going abroad in a bit and using a hire car and I am wondering if a
dashcam would be a wise investment?

I've never really looked at them so don't know if they do front and back,
or just front.

Any information welcome.

Cheers

Dave R

--
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64

Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?

<l24j01Fhr8rU12@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123571&group=uk.d-i-y#123571

From: wibble@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?
Date: 2 Feb 2024 16:19:13 GMT
 by: David - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 16:19 UTC

On Fri, 02 Feb 2024 16:01:49 +0000, David wrote:

> I had a look at the dashcam thread and most responders seem to be using
> Nextbase.
>
> Which models are you using, and why did you chose that particular model,
> please?
>
> I am going abroad in a bit and using a hire car and I am wondering if a
> dashcam would be a wise investment?
>
> I've never really looked at them so don't know if they do front and
> back,
> or just front.
>
> Any information welcome.

Addendum:

All the Nextbase dashcams seem to have a sticky pad to attach to the
screen.

As we have booked 3 hire cars for different parts of the trip at a minimum
I would need a supply of pads, next best is an easy way to remove the pad
to not annoy the hire car company, best is the ability to reuse the pad
several times.

User experience welcome.

I thought I was sorted after looking at the Which? reviews until I say the
attachment method.

Cheers

Dave R

--
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64

Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?

<20240202173742.3d3c5456@jrenewsid.jretrading.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123584&group=uk.d-i-y#123584

From: joe@jretrading.com (Joe)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 17:37:42 +0000
 by: Joe - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 17:37 UTC

On 2 Feb 2024 16:01:49 GMT
David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:

> I had a look at the dashcam thread and most responders seem to be
> using Nextbase.
>
> Which models are you using, and why did you chose that particular
> model, please?
>
> I am going abroad in a bit and using a hire car and I am wondering if
> a dashcam would be a wise investment?
>
> I've never really looked at them so don't know if they do front and
> back, or just front.
>
> Any information welcome.

I've seen advertisements for front/rear devices that have both cameras
in one unit. This obviously requires that there is an unobtrusive
position on the windscreen which has a clear rear view regardless of
back seat passengers, cargo etc. As far as I can see, that's a
non-starter. Other front/rear cameras have a separate rear camera which
has to be mounted and the cable routed to the front unit, which also
seems to me to be difficult in modern cars.

I would probably go for a separate rear unit, powered from the rear
cigar lighter, sorry, 12V power socket. Surely if it's not supposed to
be a lighter, a completely different and fairly sane 12V connector
could have been chosen? The cigar lighter plug is on a par with SCART
connectors, as far as I'm concerned. I suppose the XLR-4 is too
expensive for a domestic product.

Difficult to say much more, I went for a cheap Chinese one that does
1080p. Even getting power to it isn't easy, I'd have thought a 5V/12V
power socket on the interior light housing would have been a good idea.

--
Joe

Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?

<1dWcnebXqvLEtCD4nZ2dnZeNn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123588&group=uk.d-i-y#123588

Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 17:44:28 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: cpb@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk (Colin Bignell)
 by: Colin Bignell - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 17:44 UTC

On 02/02/2024 16:19, David wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Feb 2024 16:01:49 +0000, David wrote:
>
>> I had a look at the dashcam thread and most responders seem to be using
>> Nextbase.
>>
>> Which models are you using, and why did you chose that particular model,
>> please?
>>
>> I am going abroad in a bit and using a hire car and I am wondering if a
>> dashcam would be a wise investment?
>>
>> I've never really looked at them so don't know if they do front and
>> back,
>> or just front.
>>
>> Any information welcome.
>
> Addendum:
>
> All the Nextbase dashcams seem to have a sticky pad to attach to the
> screen.
>
> As we have booked 3 hire cars for different parts of the trip at a minimum
> I would need a supply of pads, next best is an easy way to remove the pad
> to not annoy the hire car company, best is the ability to reuse the pad
> several times.

Better to go for one with a suction pad for your use. The sticky pads
are very tenacious and are not reusable.

--
Colin Bignell

Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?

<upj9tm$156qa$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123589&group=uk.d-i-y#123589

From: jethro_uk@hotmailbin.com (Jethro_uk)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 17:48:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jethro_uk - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 17:48 UTC

On Fri, 02 Feb 2024 17:44:28 +0000, Colin Bignell wrote:

> On 02/02/2024 16:19, David wrote:
>> On Fri, 02 Feb 2024 16:01:49 +0000, David wrote:
>>
>>> I had a look at the dashcam thread and most responders seem to be
>>> using Nextbase.
>>>
>>> Which models are you using, and why did you chose that particular
>>> model,
>>> please?
>>>
>>> I am going abroad in a bit and using a hire car and I am wondering if
>>> a dashcam would be a wise investment?
>>>
>>> I've never really looked at them so don't know if they do front and
>>> back,
>>> or just front.
>>>
>>> Any information welcome.
>>
>> Addendum:
>>
>> All the Nextbase dashcams seem to have a sticky pad to attach to the
>> screen.
>>
>> As we have booked 3 hire cars for different parts of the trip at a
>> minimum I would need a supply of pads, next best is an easy way to
>> remove the pad to not annoy the hire car company, best is the ability
>> to reuse the pad several times.
>
> Better to go for one with a suction pad for your use. The sticky pads
> are very tenacious and are not reusable.

With many many years experience I would respectfully disagree.

All the suction devices I have used (phones, sat navs and dashcams) have
invariably managed to succumb to gravity on me. The worst being a sat nav
which managed to hit me in the 'nads and briefly double up.

My last car I clamped the dashcam holder to the rear view mirror bracket.

Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?

<l24ol0Fhr8rU13@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123590&group=uk.d-i-y#123590

From: wibble@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 2 Feb 2024 17:55:44 GMT
 by: David - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 17:55 UTC

On Fri, 02 Feb 2024 17:48:38 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Feb 2024 17:44:28 +0000, Colin Bignell wrote:

>>> Addendum:
>>>
>>> All the Nextbase dashcams seem to have a sticky pad to attach to the
>>> screen.
>>>
>>> As we have booked 3 hire cars for different parts of the trip at a
>>> minimum I would need a supply of pads, next best is an easy way to
>>> remove the pad to not annoy the hire car company, best is the ability
>>> to reuse the pad several times.
>>
>> Better to go for one with a suction pad for your use. The sticky pads
>> are very tenacious and are not reusable.
>
> With many many years experience I would respectfully disagree.
>
> All the suction devices I have used (phones, sat navs and dashcams) have
> invariably managed to succumb to gravity on me. The worst being a sat
> nav which managed to hit me in the 'nads and briefly double up.
>
> My last car I clamped the dashcam holder to the rear view mirror
> bracket.

Looks as though you can get a suction mount to go with the sticky mount.
Strangely, Nextbase web site sells there but doesn't seem to sell the 222X
which is a bundle of the 222 with a rear facing camera.
I have asked them why.

Next conundrum is if I can get parked up collision detection using a power
bank, because the internal batter is tiny.

Cheers

Dave R

--
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64

Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?

<dGSdnYhbgbJFqyD4nZ2dnZeNn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123603&group=uk.d-i-y#123603

Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 18:42:03 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: cpb@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk (Colin Bignell)
 by: Colin Bignell - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 18:42 UTC

On 02/02/2024 17:48, Jethro_uk wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Feb 2024 17:44:28 +0000, Colin Bignell wrote:

>>> Addendum:
>>>
>>> All the Nextbase dashcams seem to have a sticky pad to attach to the
>>> screen.
>>>
>>> As we have booked 3 hire cars for different parts of the trip at a
>>> minimum I would need a supply of pads, next best is an easy way to
>>> remove the pad to not annoy the hire car company, best is the ability
>>> to reuse the pad several times.
>>
>> Better to go for one with a suction pad for your use. The sticky pads
>> are very tenacious and are not reusable.
>
> With many many years experience I would respectfully disagree.

If it were for fitting in my own car, I would go for the sticky pad.
However, in the situation of wanting to hire three cars on one trip and
to be able to remove the mount cleanly, that simply isn't going to work.

> All the suction devices I have used (phones, sat navs and dashcams) have
> invariably managed to succumb to gravity on me.

IME they usually last at least a few days, which seems to be all that is
needed here.

> The worst being a sat nav
> which managed to hit me in the 'nads and briefly double up.
>
> My last car I clamped the dashcam holder to the rear view mirror bracket.

--
Colin Bignell

Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?

<l24rsvF1qc0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123605&group=uk.d-i-y#123605

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 18:51:10 +0000
 by: alan_m - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 18:51 UTC

On 02/02/2024 17:55, David wrote:

> Next conundrum is if I can get parked up collision detection using a power
> bank, because the internal batter is tiny.

The internal battery is only intended to last 10 to 15 minutes.

Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?

<upje62$2nl7o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123607&group=uk.d-i-y#123607

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 19:01:21 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 19:01 UTC

On 02/02/2024 16:01, David wrote:
> I had a look at the dashcam thread and most responders seem to be using
> Nextbase.
>
> Which models are you using, and why did you chose that particular model,
> please?
>
> I am going abroad in a bit and using a hire car and I am wondering if a
> dashcam would be a wise investment?
>
> I've never really looked at them so don't know if they do front and back,
> or just front.
>
> Any information welcome.

I went for Z-Edge Z1 (HD 1920 x 1080 dashcam with 16GB SDHC card) which
was much cheaper than any of the recommended brands. It continues to
work well over 7 years since I bought it. It doesn't have GPS, and the
internal clock isn't accurate, but optically and electronically it's
fine. For power, I use a USB lead fed under the rubber trim at the side
of the windscreen.

As for mounting, it uses suction. The trick is to use a smear of
washing-up liquid on the cup, and push it on to the window as the same
time as using the lever. IME, it lasts at least a couple of months even
in high summer before it dries out.

Whatever you decide on, read as many reviews from different sources as
you can.

--

Jeff

Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?

<upk038$2qfq0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123647&group=uk.d-i-y#123647

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 00:07:04 +0000
 by: Davey - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 00:07 UTC

On Fri, 2 Feb 2024 17:37:42 +0000
Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:

> On 2 Feb 2024 16:01:49 GMT
> David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> > I had a look at the dashcam thread and most responders seem to be
> > using Nextbase.
> >
> > Which models are you using, and why did you chose that particular
> > model, please?
> >
> > I am going abroad in a bit and using a hire car and I am wondering
> > if a dashcam would be a wise investment?
> >
> > I've never really looked at them so don't know if they do front and
> > back, or just front.
> >
> > Any information welcome.
> >

> I've seen advertisements for front/rear devices that have both cameras
> in one unit. This obviously requires that there is an unobtrusive
> position on the windscreen which has a clear rear view regardless of
> back seat passengers, cargo etc. As far as I can see, that's a
> non-starter. Other front/rear cameras have a separate rear camera
> which has to be mounted and the cable routed to the front unit, which
> also seems to me to be difficult in modern cars.
>
> I would probably go for a separate rear unit, powered from the rear
> cigar lighter, sorry, 12V power socket. Surely if it's not supposed to
> be a lighter, a completely different and fairly sane 12V connector
> could have been chosen? The cigar lighter plug is on a par with SCART
> connectors, as far as I'm concerned. I suppose the XLR-4 is too
> expensive for a domestic product.
>
> Difficult to say much more, I went for a cheap Chinese one that does
> 1080p. Even getting power to it isn't easy, I'd have thought a 5V/12V
> power socket on the interior light housing would have been a good
> idea.

I have a Nextbase, with a rear-view camera attachment. It is easy to
find a location next to the rear-view mirror that provides a clear
view for the camera. I thought that the sun visor would obstruct it,
but it doesn't. But I rarely carry rear passengers.
The suction cup attachment, as has been mentioned, will last a long
time if lubricated/wetted at the time of installation. I only stopped
using mine because it is considerably larger and more obtrusive than
the sticky pad.
My only problem has been the occasional loss of electrical contact
between the rear-view camera and the base unit, but a quick wiggle of
the connection sorts that out. If it works when you plug it in, it is
good.

As for the original question, yes, a dashcam would be a good investment
for a trip abroad. Just make sure it is removed each time.

--
Davey.

Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?

<upl5is$33dvn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123679&group=uk.d-i-y#123679

From: wasbit@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 10:46:53 +0000
 by: wasbit - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 10:46 UTC

On 02/02/2024 16:01, David wrote:
> I had a look at the dashcam thread and most responders seem to be using
> Nextbase.
>
> Which models are you using, and why did you chose that particular model,
> please?
>
> I am going abroad in a bit and using a hire car and I am wondering if a
> dashcam would be a wise investment?
>
> I've never really looked at them so don't know if they do front and back,
> or just front.
>
> Any information welcome.

Whilst others, & reviewers, poo-poo different models, IMO, any camera is
better than none.
They are mainly there to show the circumstances of what led up to an
event & give evidence rather than one person's word against anothers.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?

<upl64m$33gsa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123687&group=uk.d-i-y#123687

From: wasbit@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 10:56:23 +0000
 by: wasbit - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 10:56 UTC

On 02/02/2024 17:48, Jethro_uk wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Feb 2024 17:44:28 +0000, Colin Bignell wrote:

>>> Addendum:
>>>
>>> All the Nextbase dashcams seem to have a sticky pad to attach to the
>>> screen.
>>>
>>> As we have booked 3 hire cars for different parts of the trip at a
>>> minimum I would need a supply of pads, next best is an easy way to
>>> remove the pad to not annoy the hire car company, best is the ability
>>> to reuse the pad several times.
>>
>> Better to go for one with a suction pad for your use. The sticky pads
>> are very tenacious and are not reusable.
>
> With many many years experience I would respectfully disagree.
>
> All the suction devices I have used (phones, sat navs and dashcams) have
> invariably managed to succumb to gravity on me. The worst being a sat nav
> which managed to hit me in the 'nads and briefly double up.
>
> My last car I clamped the dashcam holder to the rear view mirror bracket.

And, with many many years experience I would respectfully disagree with you.

My budget dashcams have always been attached by a suction cup & they
fall off perhaps once a month.
They need to use a clear, unused section of the windscreen (some have
shading around the interior mirror) which needs to be scrupulously clean
& the suction cup rim moistened - I lick my finger & run it round the rim.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?

<upl7as$33lt8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123693&group=uk.d-i-y#123693

From: david@nospam.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 11:16:44 +0000
 by: David - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 11:16 UTC

On 02/02/2024 16:01, David wrote:
> I had a look at the dashcam thread and most responders seem to be using
> Nextbase.
>
> Which models are you using, and why did you chose that particular model,
> please?
>
> I am going abroad in a bit and using a hire car and I am wondering if a
> dashcam would be a wise investment?
>
> I've never really looked at them so don't know if they do front and back,
> or just front.
>
> Any information welcome.
>
> Cheers
>

> Dave R

Check to see if they are legal in the country you intend to visit.

In a few countries they are illegal and some impose very stiff fines.

Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?

<upl7bv$33dvm$11@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123694&group=uk.d-i-y#123694

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 11:17:19 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 11:17 UTC

On 03/02/2024 10:56, wasbit wrote:
> My budget dashcams have always been attached by a suction cup & they
> fall off perhaps once a month.
> They need to use a clear, unused section of the windscreen (some have
> shading around the interior mirror) which needs to be scrupulously clean
> & the suction cup rim moistened - I lick my finger & run it round the rim.

I had such a cup for a mobile phone clamp. After about 18 months the
material in the cup spontaneously turned to snot.

Like the case on an HP laptop, that simply *crumbled* after about 10 years.

I am thinking of a 3D printed phone holder adapted to fit the car
perfectly...

--
“Progress is precisely that which rules and regulations did not foresee,”

– Ludwig von Mises

Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?

<l2761kFegi4U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123735&group=uk.d-i-y#123735

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 15:56:36 +0000
 by: alan_m - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 15:56 UTC

On 03/02/2024 10:56, wasbit wrote:

> My budget dashcams have always been attached by a suction cup & they
> fall off perhaps once a month.
> They need to use a clear, unused section of the windscreen (some have
> shading around the interior mirror) which needs to be scrupulously clean
> & the suction cup rim moistened - I lick my finger & run it round the rim.

My experience with the suction cup is that the dashcam fell off around
twice a year and usually on a very hot day when the car had been left in
the sun, without shade, for a lengthy period of time.

Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?

<op.2iku8jbvbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123746&group=uk.d-i-y#123746

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2024 05:06:09 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 18:06 UTC

On Sat, 03 Feb 2024 21:46:53 +1100, wasbit <wasbit@nowhere.com> wrote:

> On 02/02/2024 16:01, David wrote:
>> I had a look at the dashcam thread and most responders seem to be using
>> Nextbase.
>> Which models are you using, and why did you chose that particular
>> model,
>> please?
>> I am going abroad in a bit and using a hire car and I am wondering if a
>> dashcam would be a wise investment?
>> I've never really looked at them so don't know if they do front and
>> back,
>> or just front.
>> Any information welcome.
>>

> Whilst others, & reviewers, poo-poo different models, IMO, any camera is
> better than none.
> They are mainly there to show the circumstances of what led up to an
> event & give evidence rather than one person's word against anothers.

But its better if they also provide evidence of the scrote who
attempts to break into or steal your parked car or just gouge
ot bump it when parking next to you.

And better if they aren't visible so you can say nothing
about it after an accident that is you fault.

Re: Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

<82wvN.46476$mMj7.8870@fx01.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123754&group=uk.d-i-y#123754

From: trolltrap@valid.invalid (Peeler)
Subject: Re: Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 19:58:26 +0100
 by: Peeler - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 18:58 UTC

On Sun, 04 Feb 2024 05:06:09 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?

<upnnd9$3jpeq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123791&group=uk.d-i-y#123791

From: wasbit@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 10:03:22 +0000
 by: wasbit - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 10:03 UTC

On 03/02/2024 10:46, wasbit wrote:
> On 02/02/2024 16:01, David wrote:
>> I had a look at the dashcam thread and most responders seem to be using
>> Nextbase.
>>
>> Which models are you using, and why did you chose that particular model,
>> please?
>>
>> I am going abroad in a bit and using a hire car and I am wondering if a
>> dashcam would be a wise investment?
>>
>> I've never really looked at them so don't know if they do front and back,
>> or just front.
>>
>> Any information welcome.
>>

> Whilst others, & reviewers, poo-poo different models, IMO, any camera is
> better than none.
> They are mainly there to show the circumstances of what led up to an
> event & give evidence rather than one person's word against anothers.

I forgot to say that there are reports of police in the UK getting
officious if the driver can see the dashcam screen.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?

<upo129$156qa$7@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123813&group=uk.d-i-y#123813

From: jethro_uk@hotmailbin.com (Jethro_uk)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 12:48:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jethro_uk - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 12:48 UTC

On Sun, 04 Feb 2024 10:03:22 +0000, wasbit wrote:

> On 03/02/2024 10:46, wasbit wrote:
>> On 02/02/2024 16:01, David wrote:
>>> I had a look at the dashcam thread and most responders seem to be
>>> using Nextbase.
>>>
>>> Which models are you using, and why did you chose that particular
>>> model, please?
>>>
>>> I am going abroad in a bit and using a hire car and I am wondering if
>>> a dashcam would be a wise investment?
>>>
>>> I've never really looked at them so don't know if they do front and
>>> back,
>>> or just front.
>>>
>>> Any information welcome.
>>>

>> Whilst others, & reviewers, poo-poo different models, IMO, any camera
>> is better than none.
>> They are mainly there to show the circumstances of what led up to an
>> event & give evidence rather than one person's word against anothers.
>>

> I forgot to say that there are reports of police in the UK getting
> officious if the driver can see the dashcam screen.

Is enforcing the law "officious" ?

Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?

<l29gvrFrdgjU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123819&group=uk.d-i-y#123819

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 13:15:39 +0000
 by: alan_m - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 13:15 UTC

On 04/02/2024 12:48, Jethro_uk wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Feb 2024 10:03:22 +0000, wasbit wrote:

>>> Whilst others, & reviewers, poo-poo different models, IMO, any camera
>>> is better than none.
>>> They are mainly there to show the circumstances of what led up to an
>>> event & give evidence rather than one person's word against anothers.
>>>

>> I forgot to say that there are reports of police in the UK getting
>> officious if the driver can see the dashcam screen.
>
> Is enforcing the law "officious" ?

Mine sits behind the rear view mirror on the passenger side. Driving the
screen cannot be seen. The passenger can view the screen.

Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?

<upo2tu$156qa$9@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123820&group=uk.d-i-y#123820

From: jethro_uk@hotmailbin.com (Jethro_uk)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 13:19:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jethro_uk - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 13:19 UTC

On Sun, 04 Feb 2024 13:15:39 +0000, alan_m wrote:

> On 04/02/2024 12:48, Jethro_uk wrote:

>>> I forgot to say that there are reports of police in the UK getting
>>> officious if the driver can see the dashcam screen.
>>
>> Is enforcing the law "officious" ?
>
> Mine sits behind the rear view mirror on the passenger side. Driving the
> screen cannot be seen. The passenger can view the screen.

Mine runs with the screen off.

Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?

<20240204164721.577e41bb@jrenewsid.jretrading.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123839&group=uk.d-i-y#123839

From: joe@jretrading.com (Joe)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 16:47:21 +0000
 by: Joe - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 16:47 UTC

On Sun, 4 Feb 2024 12:48:10 -0000 (UTC)
Jethro_uk <jethro_uk@hotmailbin.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Feb 2024 10:03:22 +0000, wasbit wrote:

> >> Whilst others, & reviewers, poo-poo different models, IMO, any
> >> camera is better than none.
> >> They are mainly there to show the circumstances of what led up to
> >> an event & give evidence rather than one person's word against
> >> anothers.
> >>

> > I forgot to say that there are reports of police in the UK getting
> > officious if the driver can see the dashcam screen.
>
> Is enforcing the law "officious" ?

It is when pretty much every new car has a large screen on the
dashboard, usually well out of the driver's central view, using which
various control functions must be carried out and satellite navigation
followed. This is apparently legal.

A two-inch screen half-hidden behind the mirror and showing a subset of
the view through the windscreen can hardly be considered a distraction
in that context. Certainly less so than the rear-view mirror itself,
at which the driver is *supposed* to look from time to time, taking
his/her eyes off the road ahead to do so.

--
Joe

Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?

<upoine$3oedv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123843&group=uk.d-i-y#123843

From: news@caffnib.co.uk (nibble)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 17:49:34 +0000
 by: nibble - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 17:49 UTC

On 2024-02-04 16:47, Joe wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Feb 2024 12:48:10 -0000 (UTC)
> Jethro_uk <jethro_uk@hotmailbin.com> wrote:

>>> I forgot to say that there are reports of police in the UK getting
>>> officious if the driver can see the dashcam screen.
>>
>> Is enforcing the law "officious" ?
>
> It is when pretty much every new car has a large screen on the
> dashboard, usually well out of the driver's central view, using which
> various control functions must be carried out and satellite navigation
> followed. This is apparently legal.
>
> A two-inch screen half-hidden behind the mirror and showing a subset of
> the view through the windscreen can hardly be considered a distraction
> in that context. Certainly less so than the rear-view mirror itself,
> at which the driver is *supposed* to look from time to time, taking
> his/her eyes off the road ahead to do so.

And don't most dashcam screens blank after a few seconds after start-up
or last button press, just to meet the requirement for them not to
distract the driver. I've had two different ones, and both of them do/did.

nib

Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?

<upokc1$3oqev$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123852&group=uk.d-i-y#123852

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 18:17:36 +0000
 by: Davey - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 18:17 UTC

snip

> >> Is enforcing the law "officious" ?
> >
> > It is when pretty much every new car has a large screen on the
> > dashboard, usually well out of the driver's central view, using
> > which various control functions must be carried out and satellite
> > navigation followed. This is apparently legal.
> >
> > A two-inch screen half-hidden behind the mirror and showing a
> > subset of the view through the windscreen can hardly be considered
> > a distraction in that context. Certainly less so than the rear-view
> > mirror itself, at which the driver is *supposed* to look from time
> > to time, taking his/her eyes off the road ahead to do so.
> >

> And don't most dashcam screens blank after a few seconds after
> start-up or last button press, just to meet the requirement for them
> not to distract the driver. I've had two different ones, and both of
> them do/did.
>
> nib

My three-year old or so Nextbase does not do that. It might be
programmable, but I have not noticed it.
--
Davey.

Re: Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?

<upolcc$3os8c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123856&group=uk.d-i-y#123856

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 18:34:52 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 18:34 UTC

On 04/02/2024 13:15, alan_m wrote:

> Mine sits behind the rear view mirror on the passenger side. Driving the
> screen cannot be seen. The passenger can view the screen.

Mine is under the sun visor on the driver side. However, as it's in the
area swept by the wiper, I have to remove it before the MOT takes place
or it's an immediate fail.

--

Jeff

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Budget dashcam - recommendations? Nextbase?