Sendmail may be safely run set-user-id to root. -- Eric Allman, "Sendmail Installation Guide"

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Chateau DIY

SubjectAuthor
* Chateau DIYPeter Johnson
+* Re: Chateau DIYAndy Burns
|+* Re: Chateau DIYSam Plusnet
||`- Re: Chateau DIYBrian Gaff
|`- Re: Chateau DIYBrian Gaff
+* Re: Chateau DIYalan_m
|`* Re: Chateau DIYJohn Rumm
| `- Re: Chateau DIYHVS
+- Re: Chateau DIYcharles
+* Re: Chateau DIYThe Natural Philosopher
|`* Re: Chateau DIYOwain Lastname
| `* Re: Chateau DIYThe Natural Philosopher
|  `* Re: Chateau DIYOwain Lastname
|   `- Re: Chateau DIYThe Natural Philosopher
+* Re: Chateau DIYN_Cook
|`- Re: Chateau DIYChris Hogg
+* Re: Chateau DIYBrian Gaff
|`- Re: Chateau DIYalan_m
+- Re: Chateau DIYRJH
`* Re: Chateau DIYwasbit
 +* Re: Chateau DIYalan_m
 |`- Re: Chateau DIYThe Natural Philosopher
 +- Re: Chateau DIYChris Hogg
 `- Re: Chateau DIYPeter Johnson

1
Chateau DIY

<j465ri5jbtkraeroftrf5jtqb1npig70ra@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122850&group=uk.d-i-y#122850

From: peter@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Chateau DIY
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 17:28:56 +0000
 by: Peter Johnson - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 17:28 UTC

I've recently discovered this C4 programme and have been watching it
on catchup.
One of the chateau owners said that it was important to do things
sustainably - while at the same time he's encouraging hundreds, if not
thousands, of Brits to fly and drive to his Chateau for weddings and
other events.
I've been struck by the number of times inappropriate tools have been
used - I saw a 1in carpenter's chisel being used to remove tiles from
a wall the other day.

Re: Chateau DIY

<l1flsuF5iolU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122853&group=uk.d-i-y#122853

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Chateau DIY
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 17:59:55 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 17:59 UTC

Peter Johnson wrote:

> I've been struck by the number of times inappropriate tools have been
> used - I saw a 1in carpenter's chisel being used to remove tiles from
> a wall the other day.

Yes, any fool knows they're just for paint tin lids ...

Re: Chateau DIY

<wuxsN.28313$oJCf.8749@fx11.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122855&group=uk.d-i-y#122855

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 18:10:36 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 18:10 UTC

On 25-Jan-24 17:59, Andy Burns wrote:
> Peter Johnson wrote:
>
>> I've been struck by the number of times inappropriate tools have been
>> used - I saw a 1in carpenter's chisel being used to remove tiles from
>> a wall the other day.
>
> Yes, any fool knows they're just for paint tin lids ...

One inch? They must be big paint tins.

The best tool for most jobs is an old busted-up screwdriver.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Chateau DIY

<l1fmnfF5phnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122856&group=uk.d-i-y#122856

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 18:14:07 +0000
 by: alan_m - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 18:14 UTC

On 25/01/2024 17:28, Peter Johnson wrote:
> I've recently discovered this C4 programme and have been watching it
> on catchup.
> One of the chateau owners said that it was important to do things
> sustainably - while at the same time he's encouraging hundreds, if not
> thousands, of Brits to fly and drive to his Chateau for weddings and
> other events.
> I've been struck by the number of times inappropriate tools have been
> used - I saw a 1in carpenter's chisel being used to remove tiles from
> a wall the other day.

I have a decent set of scary sharp chisels for wood work

I have a crap set of wood chisels that I would use for removing tiles
from the wall etc. These occasionally get a rough sharpening on a
grinding wheel. They have stood up well to 40+ years of serious abuse.

Re: Chateau DIY

<5b28621e3acharles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122859&group=uk.d-i-y#122859

From: charles@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 24 18:30:04 UTC
 by: charles - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 18:30 UTC

In article <j465ri5jbtkraeroftrf5jtqb1npig70ra@4ax.com>,
Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:
> I've recently discovered this C4 programme and have been watching it
> on catchup.
> One of the chateau owners said that it was important to do things
> sustainably - while at the same time he's encouraging hundreds, if not
> thousands, of Brits to fly and drive to his Chateau for weddings and
> other events.
> I've been struck by the number of times inappropriate tools have been
> used - I saw a 1in carpenter's chisel being used to remove tiles from
> a wall the other day.

years ago, when working in an amateur theatre, I aaw somebody rummaging in
my tool box, so I asked what they were looking for. "A chisel" was the
reply. Thinking that the person might not be totally capable with one, I
asked what it was for "To open a tin of paint!"

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té²

Re: Chateau DIY

<uoubfh$2e06l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122861&group=uk.d-i-y#122861

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 19:06:24 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 19:06 UTC

On 25/01/2024 17:28, Peter Johnson wrote:
> One of the chateau owners said that it was important to do things
> sustainably

Its meaningless drivel. You cant make an omelette without breaking eggs.
Omelettes are not sustainable.

The momentt you here 'renewable' or 'sustainable' or other ecoBollox
equivalent it's just shorthand for I am a virtue signalling cunt trying
to sell you EcoCrap™.

The Universe and everything in it is NOT SUSTAINABLE.

--
"Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and
higher education positively fortifies it."

- Stephen Vizinczey

Re: Chateau DIY

<uoug6v$2eop8$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122872&group=uk.d-i-y#122872

From: see.my.signature@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 20:27:11 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 20:27 UTC

On 25/01/2024 18:14, alan_m wrote:
> On 25/01/2024 17:28, Peter Johnson wrote:
>> I've recently discovered this C4 programme and have been watching it
>> on catchup.
>> One of the chateau owners said that it was important to do things
>> sustainably - while at the same time he's encouraging hundreds, if not
>> thousands, of Brits to fly and drive to his Chateau for weddings and
>> other events.
>> I've been struck by the number of times inappropriate tools have been
>> used - I saw a 1in carpenter's chisel being used to remove tiles from
>> a wall the other day.
>
> I have a decent set of scary sharp chisels for wood work
>
> I have a crap set of wood chisels that I would use for removing tiles
> from the wall etc. These occasionally get a rough sharpening on a
> grinding wheel.  They have stood up well to 40+ years of serious abuse.

Not to mention they are available in a multi pack for next to nothing
any DIY shed, so can be treated as disposable.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Chateau DIY

<uovsau$2opkf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122886&group=uk.d-i-y#122886

From: diverse@tcp.co.uk (N_Cook)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 09:00:11 +0000
 by: N_Cook - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 09:00 UTC

On 25/01/2024 17:28, Peter Johnson wrote:
> I've recently discovered this C4 programme and have been watching it
> on catchup.
> One of the chateau owners said that it was important to do things
> sustainably - while at the same time he's encouraging hundreds, if not
> thousands, of Brits to fly and drive to his Chateau for weddings and
> other events.
> I've been struck by the number of times inappropriate tools have been
> used - I saw a 1in carpenter's chisel being used to remove tiles from
> a wall the other day.

What do the French call the tool for raking out old mortar from brick
joints, prior to repointing, those old screwdrivers they've heated and
bent the shaft. Brickies call them frenchmen because they know that
Frenchmen have bent todgers.

--
Global sea level rise to 2100 from curve-fitted existing altimetry data
<http://diverse.4mg.com/slr.htm>

Re: Chateau DIY

<j4v6ritpii0u8bg28tdtnsl4pfoclte0rj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122887&group=uk.d-i-y#122887

From: me@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 09:34:43 +0000
 by: Chris Hogg - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 09:34 UTC

On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 09:00:11 +0000, N_Cook <diverse@tcp.co.uk> wrote:

>On 25/01/2024 17:28, Peter Johnson wrote:
>> I've recently discovered this C4 programme and have been watching it
>> on catchup.
>> One of the chateau owners said that it was important to do things
>> sustainably - while at the same time he's encouraging hundreds, if not
>> thousands, of Brits to fly and drive to his Chateau for weddings and
>> other events.
>> I've been struck by the number of times inappropriate tools have been
>> used - I saw a 1in carpenter's chisel being used to remove tiles from
>> a wall the other day.
>>

>What do the French call the tool for raking out old mortar from brick
>joints, prior to repointing, those old screwdrivers they've heated and
>bent the shaft. Brickies call them frenchmen because they know that
>Frenchmen have bent todgers.

As did the young man from Kent...

--
Chris

Re: Chateau DIY

<322f447d-52db-489e-8ce9-36621223f93fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122892&group=uk.d-i-y#122892

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 03:04:03 -0800 (PST)
From: spuorgelgoog@gowanhill.com (Owain Lastname)
 by: Owain Lastname - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 11:04 UTC

On Thursday 25 January 2024 at 19:06:29 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> Its meaningless drivel. You cant make an omelette without breaking eggs.

You could if you blew the egg contents out of the shell?

> Omelettes are not sustainable.

Omelettes are pretty sustainable. You get a lot of omelettes out of one chicken and if you have your own chickens they don't need a lot of inputs. Intensive egg farming is another matter, of course.

Owain

Re: Chateau DIY

<up0a61$2r1uh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122894&group=uk.d-i-y#122894

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 12:56:30 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 12:56 UTC

You can use old chisels for that, works well with the right hammer.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Peter Johnson" <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote in message
> I've recently discovered this C4 programme and have been watching it
> on catchup.
> One of the chateau owners said that it was important to do things
> sustainably - while at the same time he's encouraging hundreds, if not
> thousands, of Brits to fly and drive to his Chateau for weddings and
> other events.
> I've been struck by the number of times inappropriate tools have been
> used - I saw a 1in carpenter's chisel being used to remove tiles from
> a wall the other day.

Re: Chateau DIY

<up0a7g$2r240$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122895&group=uk.d-i-y#122895

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 12:57:17 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 12:57 UTC

No that is screwdrivers.
Brian

--

--:
"Andy Burns" <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote in message
> Peter Johnson wrote:
>
>> I've been struck by the number of times inappropriate tools have been
>> used - I saw a 1in carpenter's chisel being used to remove tiles from
>> a wall the other day.
>
> Yes, any fool knows they're just for paint tin lids ...

Re: Chateau DIY

<up0a9l$2r2e9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122896&group=uk.d-i-y#122896

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 12:58:26 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 12:58 UTC

Another great tool is the broken twist drill as a countersink bit.
Brian

--

--:
"Sam Plusnet" <not@home.com> wrote in message
> On 25-Jan-24 17:59, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Peter Johnson wrote:
>>
>>> I've been struck by the number of times inappropriate tools have been
>>> used - I saw a 1in carpenter's chisel being used to remove tiles from
>>> a wall the other day.
>>
>> Yes, any fool knows they're just for paint tin lids ...
>
> One inch? They must be big paint tins.
>
> The best tool for most jobs is an old busted-up screwdriver.
>
> --
> Sam Plusnet

Re: Chateau DIY

<up0bn5$2rafm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122897&group=uk.d-i-y#122897

From: patchmoney@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 13:22:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 13:22 UTC

On 25 Jan 2024 at 17:28:56 GMT, Peter Johnson wrote:

> I've recently discovered this C4 programme and have been watching it
> on catchup.
> One of the chateau owners said that it was important to do things
> sustainably - while at the same time he's encouraging hundreds, if not
> thousands, of Brits to fly and drive to his Chateau for weddings and
> other events.
> I've been struck by the number of times inappropriate tools have been
> used - I saw a 1in carpenter's chisel being used to remove tiles from
> a wall the other day.

'sacrificial chisel' coll. - what chisels become after extended periods of
inappropriate use.

Got several :-)
--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: Chateau DIY

<XnsB1058F9A76C1Cwhhvans@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122898&group=uk.d-i-y#122898

From: office@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk (HVS)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 14:07:00 GMT
 by: HVS - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 14:07 UTC

On 25 Jan 2024, John Rumm wrote

> On 25/01/2024 18:14, alan_m wrote:
>> On 25/01/2024 17:28, Peter Johnson wrote:
>>> I've recently discovered this C4 programme and have been
>>> watching it on catchup.
>>> One of the chateau owners said that it was important to do
>>> things sustainably - while at the same time he's encouraging
>>> hundreds, if not thousands, of Brits to fly and drive to his
>>> Chateau for weddings and other events.
>>> I've been struck by the number of times inappropriate tools have
>>> been used - I saw a 1in carpenter's chisel being used to remove
>>> tiles from a wall the other day.
>>
>> I have a decent set of scary sharp chisels for wood work
>>
>> I have a crap set of wood chisels that I would use for removing
>> tiles from the wall etc. These occasionally get a rough
>> sharpening on a grinding wheel.  They have stood up well to 40+
>> years of serious abuse.
>
> Not to mention they are available in a multi pack for next to
> nothing any DIY shed, so can be treated as disposable.

Yup. I think the last cheap ones I bought -- as in "assumed to be
single-use" -- were from Poundland.

--
Cheers, Harvey

Re: Chateau DIY

<up0g2m$2rtuk$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122900&group=uk.d-i-y#122900

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 14:37:10 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 14:37 UTC

On 26/01/2024 11:04, Owain Lastname wrote:
> On Thursday 25 January 2024 at 19:06:29 UTC, The Natural Philosopher
> wrote:
>> Its meaningless drivel. You cant make an omelette without breaking
>> eggs.
>
> You could if you blew the egg contents out of the shell?
>
>> Omelettes are not sustainable.
>
> Omelettes are pretty sustainable. You get a lot of omelettes out of
> one chicken and if you have your own chickens they don't need a lot
> of inputs. Intensive egg farming is another matter, of course.

Bollocks. Once you have eaten the egg, its gone,. You have to get more
eggs and that means feeding the chickens and all that is driven
ultimately by a sun that is in no way sustainable.

As any nuclear reactor will, it runs out of fuel eventually.
And, in the process, the chicken will pollute the environment with
chickenshit.
Nothing is sustainable, Everything takes some finite resource and uses
it to create another finite resource.

--
"And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch".

Gospel of St. Mathew 15:14

Re: Chateau DIY

<l1hvdoFji9fU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122901&group=uk.d-i-y#122901

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 14:54:50 +0000
 by: alan_m - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 14:54 UTC

On 26/01/2024 12:56, Brian Gaff wrote:
> You can use old chisels for that, works well with the right hammer.

Every tool is a hammer.

Re: Chateau DIY

<up2lh0$3bdp3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122939&group=uk.d-i-y#122939

From: wasbit@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 10:22:25 +0000
 by: wasbit - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 10:22 UTC

On 25/01/2024 17:28, Peter Johnson wrote:
> I've recently discovered this C4 programme and have been watching it
> on catchup.
> One of the chateau owners said that it was important to do things
> sustainably - while at the same time he's encouraging hundreds, if not
> thousands, of Brits to fly and drive to his Chateau for weddings and
> other events.
> I've been struck by the number of times inappropriate tools have been
> used - I saw a 1in carpenter's chisel being used to remove tiles from
> a wall the other day.

Yes, it's a spin-off from Dick and Angel Strawbridge's 'Escape To The
Chateau' which follows a group of British expats who overhaul crumbling
fairy tale French stately homes.
Dick's vacuum lift in one of the chateau's corner turrets was ingenious.

Similar series is 'We Bought a Village' or it might be 'Help! We bought
a village'.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Chateau DIY

<l1k83vFucvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122944&group=uk.d-i-y#122944

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 11:35:27 +0000
 by: alan_m - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 11:35 UTC

On 27/01/2024 10:22, wasbit wrote:
> On 25/01/2024 17:28, Peter Johnson wrote:
>> I've recently discovered this C4 programme and have been watching it
>> on catchup.
>> One of the chateau owners said that it was important to do things
>> sustainably - while at the same time he's encouraging hundreds, if not
>> thousands, of Brits to fly and drive to his Chateau for weddings and
>> other events.
>> I've been struck by the number of times inappropriate tools have been
>> used - I saw a 1in carpenter's chisel being used to remove tiles from
>> a wall the other day.
>>

> Yes, it's a spin-off from Dick and Angel Strawbridge's 'Escape To The
> Chateau' which follows a group of British expats who overhaul crumbling
> fairy tale French stately homes.
> Dick's vacuum lift in one of the chateau's corner turrets was ingenious.

At one time tricky Dicky Strawbridge had a series promoting DIY green
living with a water wheel to power a 5W LED light bulb and used chip
shop oil to run his land rover.

A few TV series on and all that green virtue signalling has vanished.

Re: Chateau DIY

<up2rhj$3caqf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122945&group=uk.d-i-y#122945

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 12:05:07 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 12:05 UTC

On 27/01/2024 11:35, alan_m wrote:

> At one time tricky Dicky Strawbridge had a series promoting DIY green
> living with a water wheel to power a 5W LED light bulb and used chip
> shop oil to run his land rover.
>
> A few TV series on and all that green virtue signalling has vanished.

Well it was all EcoCrap™ anyway.

They tried all this shit and proved it didn't work, just like they have
done with renewable energy.

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)

Re: Chateau DIY

<n50ari1qlsf93v6sadrh6gn7falqufnpj8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122948&group=uk.d-i-y#122948

From: me@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 13:15:25 +0000
 by: Chris Hogg - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 13:15 UTC

On Sat, 27 Jan 2024 10:22:25 +0000, wasbit <wasbit@nowhere.com> wrote:

>On 25/01/2024 17:28, Peter Johnson wrote:
>> I've recently discovered this C4 programme and have been watching it
>> on catchup.
>> One of the chateau owners said that it was important to do things
>> sustainably - while at the same time he's encouraging hundreds, if not
>> thousands, of Brits to fly and drive to his Chateau for weddings and
>> other events.
>> I've been struck by the number of times inappropriate tools have been
>> used - I saw a 1in carpenter's chisel being used to remove tiles from
>> a wall the other day.
>>

>Yes, it's a spin-off from Dick and Angel Strawbridge's 'Escape To The
>Chateau' which follows a group of British expats who overhaul crumbling
>fairy tale French stately homes.
>Dick's vacuum lift in one of the chateau's corner turrets was ingenious.
>
>Similar series is 'We Bought a Village' or it might be 'Help! We bought
>a village'.

He took over a house in Tywardreath near St Austell in Cornwall a good
few years ago and went to town on making it self-sufficient in energy.
Something of a demo exercise I think; I couldn't imagine living in the
place. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Strawbridge

--
Chris

Re: Chateau DIY

<d657957c-36bd-46fe-877d-6ee6a7aefad0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122949&group=uk.d-i-y#122949

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 05:40:07 -0800 (PST)
From: spuorgelgoog@gowanhill.com (Owain Lastname)
 by: Owain Lastname - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 13:40 UTC

On Friday 26 January 2024 at 14:37:15 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> Bollocks. Once you have eaten the egg, its gone,. You have to get more
> eggs and that means feeding the chickens and all that is driven
> ultimately by a sun that is in no way sustainable.
> As any nuclear reactor will, it runs out of fuel eventually.

It'll see me out though, eh?

And as apparently 45% of Americans believe The Rapture is coming within the next forty years anyway, we don't have to worry about what we do to the planet now.

Owain

Re: Chateau DIY

<up33ms$3dj69$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122952&group=uk.d-i-y#122952

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 14:24:28 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 14:24 UTC

On 27/01/2024 13:40, Owain Lastname wrote:
> On Friday 26 January 2024 at 14:37:15 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>> Bollocks. Once you have eaten the egg, its gone,. You have to get more
>> eggs and that means feeding the chickens and all that is driven
>> ultimately by a sun that is in no way sustainable.
>> As any nuclear reactor will, it runs out of fuel eventually.
>
> It'll see me out though, eh?
>
> And as apparently 45% of Americans believe The Rapture is coming within the next forty years anyway, we don't have to worry about what we do to the planet now.

I seriously doubt that.
They might get a lethal dose of fentanyl from the Chinese or Russians
though. Sort of humane disposal, of the eugenically unfit.

> Owain

Lucas Bergkamp

Re: Chateau DIY

<6oisrihpm8m6lup303k15957rti2ag9miu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123720&group=uk.d-i-y#123720

From: peter@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2024 14:23:11 +0000
 by: Peter Johnson - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 14:23 UTC

On Sat, 27 Jan 2024 10:22:25 +0000, wasbit <wasbit@nowhere.com> wrote:

>On 25/01/2024 17:28, Peter Johnson wrote:
>> I've recently discovered this C4 programme and have been watching it
>> on catchup.
>> One of the chateau owners said that it was important to do things
>> sustainably - while at the same time he's encouraging hundreds, if not
>> thousands, of Brits to fly and drive to his Chateau for weddings and
>> other events.
>> I've been struck by the number of times inappropriate tools have been
>> used - I saw a 1in carpenter's chisel being used to remove tiles from
>> a wall the other day.
>>

>Yes, it's a spin-off from Dick and Angel Strawbridge's 'Escape To The
>Chateau' which follows a group of British expats who overhaul crumbling
>fairy tale French stately homes.
>Dick's vacuum lift in one of the chateau's corner turrets was ingenious.

For some reason, although I watched Escape To The Chateau I didn't
bother with Escape To The Chateau DIY.

>Similar series is 'We Bought a Village' or it might be 'Help! We bought
>a village'.

Having found this by chance I binged on it and was offered Chateau DIY
but ignored the Escape to the Chateau DIY series. Intrigued how the
producers must have realised that it would work without Strawbridge
input.

Presently on Renovation Nation.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Chateau DIY