From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: DIY’d DHW failure…
Date: 13 Feb 2024 14:47:14 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 13 Feb 2024 14:47 UTC

System is a WB boiler suppling heat to the thermal store (Boilermate 2000).
DHW is supplied on demand by a pump pushing heat-store water through a
plate heat exchanger (and back to the store) with mains-pressure cold water
fed into the other half and then on to the hot-water taps.

This morning…no DHW.

Ah! This has happened once before, caused by a dicky speed selector on the
DHW pump.

Set a hot-water tap running, switch speed selector to 3 (fastest), to
result in a surprising gurgle from the PHE. Sure enough, HW now flowing
nicely.

Only problem is…why was there air in the PHE? We have had some suggestions
of air in the incoming cold water in the form of occasional slight spitting
at higher flow rates, so presume that there has been a build-up in the PHE.

Hmm…solve one thing, discover a second problem…

--
Spike

Re: DIY’d DHW failure…

<uqg20s$24ou7$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=124633&group=uk.d-i-y#124633

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: DIY’d DHW failure…
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 15:31:40 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 13 Feb 2024 15:31 UTC

On 13/02/2024 14:47, Spike wrote:
> Only problem is…why was there air in the PHE? We have had some suggestions
> of air in the incoming cold water in the form of occasional slight spitting
> at higher flow rates, so presume that there has been a build-up in the PHE.
>
> Hmm…solve one thing, discover a second problem…

Your local water company has been fucking with the mains.

You may end up with sand and bits of dead leaves too..

--
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over
the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that

Frédéric Bastiat

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: DIY’d DHW failure…