From: the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Subject: Braverman savages Sunak
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 19:28:06 +0000
 by: The Happy Hippy - Tue, 14 Nov 2023 19:28 UTC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67416146

<quotes>

I was clear from day one that if you did not wish to leave the ECHR, the way to securely and swiftly deliver our Rwanda partnership would be to block off the ECHR, the HRA and any other obligations which inhibit our ability to remove those with no right to be in the UK. Our deal expressly referenced "notwithstanding clauses" to that effect.

Your rejection of this path was not merely a betrayal of our agreement, but a betrayal of your promise to the nation that you would do "whatever it takes" to stop the boats.

At every stage of litigation I cautioned you and your team against assuming we would win. I repeatedly urged you to take legislative measures that would better secure us against the possibility of defeat. You ignored these arguments. You opted instead for wishful thinking as a comfort blanket to avoid having to make hard choices. This irresponsibility has wasted time and left the country in an impossible position.

Worse than this, your magical thinking - believing that you can will your way through this without upsetting polite opinion - has meant you have failed to prepare any sort of credible Plan B.

I can only surmise that this is because you have no appetite for doing what is necessary, and therefore no real intention of fulfilling your pledge to the British people.

Another cause for disappointment - and the context for my recent article in The Times - has been your failure to rise to the challenge posed by the increasingly vicious antisemitism and extremism displayed on our streets since Hamas's terrorist atrocities of 7 October.

I have become hoarse urging you to consider legislation to ban the hate marches and help stem the rising tide of racism, intimidation and terrorist glorification threatening community cohesion.

Britain is at a turning point in our history and faces a threat of radicalisation and extremism in a way not seen for 20 years.

I regret to say that your response has been uncertain, weak, and lacking in the qualities of leadership that this country needs. Rather than fully acknowledge the severity of this threat, your team disagreed with me for weeks that the law needed changing.

As on so many other issues, you sought to put off tough decisions in order to minimise political risk to yourself. In doing so, you have increased the very real risk these marches present to everyone else.

Someone needs to be honest: your plan is not working, we have endured record election defeats, your resets have failed and we are running out of time. You need to change course urgently.

</quotes>

It reminds me of the savaging Geoffrey Howe gave Margaret Thatcher, except he was right, and Braverman is so utterly wrong.

I even find it rather reassuring that Sunak is reluctant to remove us from the ECHR, abandon the HRA, isn't willing to be dictated to by far-right fascists like Braverman and the rest of the ERG.

I guess this is Braverman's initial pitch to become party leader - presumably conservative rather than BNP. I can't see that working and, if it does, I can't see a party of the worst tory scum having the support of the electorate.

It would be a party which would make Farage more savoury.

She is obsessed with this notion of "hate marches" yet everyone has seen that there is such little hate that just a handful of people are being sought after a protest by 300,000 or more, and their so-called crimes are quite tenuous.

Meanwhile a hundred-plus actual haters were arrested for attacking police and trying to disrupt peaceful protest thanks to her demonising those calling for peace as "hate marches".

The best thing the tory party could do is cancel her membership and all those who support her. Let them form their own National Front.