The greatest productive force is human selfishness. -- Robert Heinlein

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: How long before new gas smartmeter

SubjectAuthor
* How long before new gas smartmeterPamela
+- Re: How long before new gas smartmeterAndy Burns
`* Re: How long before new gas smartmeterTim+
 +* Re: How long before new gas smartmeterPamela
 |`* Re: How long before new gas smartmeterRJH
 | `* Re: How long before new gas smartmeterHarry Bloomfield Esq
 |  `* Re: How long before new gas smartmeterTim+
 |   `* Re: How long before new gas smartmeterHarry Bloomfield Esq
 |    `- Re: How long before new gas smartmeterTim+
 `- Re: How long before new gas smartmeterHarry Bloomfield Esq

1
How long before new gas smartmeter

<XnsB1169B6B8BB185D4AM2@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=124545&group=uk.d-i-y#124545

From: pamela.private.mailbox@gmail.com (Pamela)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: How long before new gas smartmeter
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 15:16:42 GMT
 by: Pamela - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 15:16 UTC

How many days before a smartmeter, fitted by British Gas for gas supply,
starts showing customer data on the Intelligent Home Display?

The installer says wait a day or two. However British gas customer services
says it takes up to 2 weeks, which seems a long time.

Perhaps customer services are getting this mixed up with migrating customer
data from their old billing system, which does take weeks.

Re: How long before new gas smartmeter

<l2us9pFm96gU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=124551&group=uk.d-i-y#124551

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: How long before new gas smartmeter
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 15:37:29 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 15:37 UTC

Pamela wrote:

> How many days before a smartmeter, fitted by British Gas for gas supply,
> starts showing customer data on the Intelligent Home Display?

In my case it was before the fitter left the building.

Re: How long before new gas smartmeter

<30618199.729459993.606185.timdownieuk-yahoo.co.youkay@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=124566&group=uk.d-i-y#124566

From: timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 12 Feb 2024 19:48:34 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 19:48 UTC

Pamela <pamela.private.mailbox@gmail.com> wrote:
> How many days before a smartmeter, fitted by British Gas for gas supply,
> starts showing customer data on the Intelligent Home Display?
>
> The installer says wait a day or two. However British gas customer services
> says it takes up to 2 weeks, which seems a long time.
>
> Perhaps customer services are getting this mixed up with migrating customer
> data from their old billing system, which does take weeks.

Mine started working very quickly (same day) but energy companies seem to
need at least two weeks of half hourly data before they give you the nod
and say “yes, you have a working smart meter”.

Until they do that you can’t switch tariffs.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: How long before new gas smartmeter

<XnsB118559B826025D4AM2@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=124674&group=uk.d-i-y#124674

From: pamela.private.mailbox@gmail.com (Pamela)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 08:24:55 GMT
 by: Pamela - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 08:24 UTC

On 19:48 12 Feb 2024, Tim+ said:
> Pamela <pamela.private.mailbox@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> How many days before a smartmeter, fitted by British Gas for gas
>> supply, starts showing customer data on the Intelligent Home Display?
>>
>> The installer says wait a day or two. However British gas customer
>> services says it takes up to 2 weeks, which seems a long time.
>>
>> Perhaps customer services are getting this mixed up with migrating
>> customer data from their old billing system, which does take weeks.
>
> Mine started working very quickly (same day) but energy companies seem
> to need at least two weeks of half hourly data before they give you
> the nod and say �yes, you have a working smart meter�.
>
> Until they do that you can�t switch tariffs.
>
> Tim

At the moment I simpy want a working In-Home Display. The billing is
another matter but I wonder if British Gas are mixing up the two in heir
explanations to me.

Re: How long before new gas smartmeter

<uqi0bb$2j28g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=124679&group=uk.d-i-y#124679

From: patchmoney@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 09:15:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 09:15 UTC

On 14 Feb 2024 at 08:24:55 GMT, Pamela wrote:

> On 19:48 12 Feb 2024, Tim+ said:
>> Pamela <pamela.private.mailbox@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> How many days before a smartmeter, fitted by British Gas for gas
>>> supply, starts showing customer data on the Intelligent Home Display?
>>>
>>> The installer says wait a day or two. However British gas customer
>>> services says it takes up to 2 weeks, which seems a long time.
>>>
>>> Perhaps customer services are getting this mixed up with migrating
>>> customer data from their old billing system, which does take weeks.
>>
>> Mine started working very quickly (same day) but energy companies seem
>> to need at least two weeks of half hourly data before they give you
>> the nod and say “yes, you have a working smart meter”.
>>
>> Until they do that you can’t switch tariffs.
>>
>> Tim
>
> At the moment I simpy want a working In-Home Display. The billing is
> another matter but I wonder if British Gas are mixing up the two in heir
> explanations to me.

The display should start working quite quickly - if it's successfully paired
to the meter(s).

Mine (Eon) has a very weak wifi signal and the display needs to be close to
the meter to receive data. Electricity is received in pretty much real time;
gas updated every 30 minutes or so.
--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: How long before new gas smartmeter

<uql84p$3bhpf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=124806&group=uk.d-i-y#124806

From: a@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 14:46:49 +0000
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 14:46 UTC

On 12/02/2024 19:48, Tim+ wrote:
> Mine started working very quickly (same day) but energy companies seem to
> need at least two weeks of half hourly data before they give you the nod
> and say “yes, you have a working smart meter”.
>
> Until they do that you can’t switch tariffs.

The data is only sent back to base, once per day, as a batch. Usually it
seems around midnight, so the data will appear sometime after that.

Most seem to quote around two weeks, after a new install - maybe playing
safe?

With smart meters, at my last change in supplier, the data went off, and
came back on with my new supplier just two days later.

Re: How long before new gas smartmeter

<uql8d4$3bhpf$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=124807&group=uk.d-i-y#124807

From: a@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 14:51:15 +0000
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 14:51 UTC

On 14/02/2024 09:15, RJH wrote:
> The display should start working quite quickly - if it's successfully paired
> to the meter(s).

Though it may not at first show the tariff, just consumption.

> Mine (Eon) has a very weak wifi signal and the display needs to be close to
> the meter to receive data. Electricity is received in pretty much real time;
> gas updated every 30 minutes or so.

My IHD shows gas consumption updated much more frequently, maybe every
minute - which seems to be not what is supposed to happen.

Re: How long before new gas smartmeter

<1491487248.729762580.862944.timdownieuk-yahoo.co.youkay@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=124857&group=uk.d-i-y#124857

From: timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 16 Feb 2024 07:51:03 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 07:51 UTC

Harry Bloomfield Esq <a@harrym1byt.plus.com> wrote:

> My IHD shows gas consumption updated much more frequently, maybe every
> minute - which seems to be not what is supposed to happen.

Battery won’t last long if it really is doing that.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: How long before new gas smartmeter

<uqnjdf$3ca03$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=124873&group=uk.d-i-y#124873

From: a@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 12:11:26 +0000
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 12:11 UTC

On 16/02/2024 07:51, Tim+ wrote:
> Battery won’t last long if it really is doing that.

I cannot think of any other explanation, for the gas consumption varying
so frequently in the display. It was suggested, that it might be the IHD
displaying an average, but an average would drift either down or up
steadily. In fact the ready goes up and down, and matches turning hobs
on and off.

The battery is around 7 years old so far, and still seems OK. It's a
Secure.

Re: How long before new gas smartmeter

<1386540101.729785498.860008.timdownieuk-yahoo.co.youkay@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=124880&group=uk.d-i-y#124880

From: timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 16 Feb 2024 14:13:12 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 14:13 UTC

Harry Bloomfield Esq <a@harrym1byt.plus.com> wrote:
> On 16/02/2024 07:51, Tim+ wrote:
>> Battery won’t last long if it really is doing that.
>
> I cannot think of any other explanation, for the gas consumption varying
> so frequently in the display. It was suggested, that it might be the IHD
> displaying an average, but an average would drift either down or up
> steadily. In fact the ready goes up and down, and matches turning hobs
> on and off.

Interesting. Not heard of this before. Everywhere on the net says 30
minute intervals for gas.

> The battery is around 7 years old so far, and still seems OK. It's a
> Secure.

Oh well, if it works…

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: How long before new gas smartmeter