186,000 Miles per Second. It's not just a good idea. IT'S THE LAW.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: small generator

SubjectAuthor
* small generatorGordy
`* Re: small generatorAnimal
 +* Re: small generatorCursitor Doom
 |`* Re: small generatorThe Natural Philosopher
 | `* Re: small generatorGordy
 |  `- Re: small generatorAnimal
 `* Re: small generatortony sayer
  +* Re: small generatorSmolley
  |+* Re: small generatorRod Speed
  ||`- Re: Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!Peeler
  |+- Re: small generatorRJH
  |`- Re: small generatortony sayer
  +- Re: small generatornothanks
  +* Re: small generatorThe Natural Philosopher
  |`* Re: small generatorAndy Burns
  | `- Re: small generatorThe Natural Philosopher
  `- Re: small generatorAnimal

1
small generator

<upbot6$1576m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123300&group=uk.d-i-y#123300

From: joe.blogs@home.com (Gordy)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: small generator
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 21:15:15 +0000
 by: Gordy - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 21:15 UTC

Hi all

I got a second hand generator cheap with a view to 'tinkering it up'. I
thought it was 3kW but the stator says 1.8kW

Now I've pulled it apart it would appear that the stator windings are shot.

I'm struggling to find a supplier of spare parts so was thinking of
having a go at rewinding it myself, there are a few videos on youtube
and it looks fiddly but not impossible.

Has anyone ever attempted it, or am I best off waiting to see if I can
find a generator with a shot engine.

Regards

Re: small generator

<0d1db6c9-bbdb-4dcf-85ac-636c3b316120n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123315&group=uk.d-i-y#123315

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 15:15:51 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: small generator
From: tabbypurr@gmail.com (Animal)
 by: Animal - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 23:15 UTC

On Tuesday 30 January 2024 at 21:15:22 UTC, Gordy wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I got a second hand generator cheap with a view to 'tinkering it up'. I
> thought it was 3kW but the stator says 1.8kW
>
> Now I've pulled it apart it would appear that the stator windings are shot.
>
> I'm struggling to find a supplier of spare parts so was thinking of
> having a go at rewinding it myself, there are a few videos on youtube
> and it looks fiddly but not impossible.
>
> Has anyone ever attempted it, or am I best off waiting to see if I can
> find a generator with a shot engine.
>
> Regards

Lin Guoer does it routinely, so you can see what's involved. Not too hard. But she fails to explain enough about the windings. Maybe you can study them to see what goes where.

Re: small generator

<97dlripdqnvm6jljp5bl3b8jl42fr0c636@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123388&group=uk.d-i-y#123388

From: cd@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 21:02:18 +0000
 by: Cursitor Doom - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 21:02 UTC

On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 15:15:51 -0800 (PST), Animal <tabbypurr@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Tuesday 30 January 2024 at 21:15:22 UTC, Gordy wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I got a second hand generator cheap with a view to 'tinkering it up'. I
>> thought it was 3kW but the stator says 1.8kW
>>
>> Now I've pulled it apart it would appear that the stator windings are shot.
>>
>> I'm struggling to find a supplier of spare parts so was thinking of
>> having a go at rewinding it myself, there are a few videos on youtube
>> and it looks fiddly but not impossible.
>>
>> Has anyone ever attempted it, or am I best off waiting to see if I can
>> find a generator with a shot engine.
>>
>> Regards
>
>Lin Guoer does it routinely, so you can see what's involved. Not too hard. But she fails to explain enough about the windings. Maybe you can study them to see what goes where.

Having a lathe can speed this process up massively depending on how
the windings are arranged. I have a lathe, but would rather not have
the fiddle - and it *is* a fiddle, believe me - so would plum for one
already in full working order.

Re: small generator

<upfrce$210k7$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123417&group=uk.d-i-y#123417

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 10:22:06 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 10:22 UTC

On 31/01/2024 21:02, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 15:15:51 -0800 (PST), Animal <tabbypurr@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday 30 January 2024 at 21:15:22 UTC, Gordy wrote:
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> I got a second hand generator cheap with a view to 'tinkering it up'. I
>>> thought it was 3kW but the stator says 1.8kW
>>>
>>> Now I've pulled it apart it would appear that the stator windings are shot.
>>>
>>> I'm struggling to find a supplier of spare parts so was thinking of
>>> having a go at rewinding it myself, there are a few videos on youtube
>>> and it looks fiddly but not impossible.
>>>
>>> Has anyone ever attempted it, or am I best off waiting to see if I can
>>> find a generator with a shot engine.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>
>> Lin Guoer does it routinely, so you can see what's involved. Not too hard. But she fails to explain enough about the windings. Maybe you can study them to see what goes where.
>>

> Having a lathe can speed this process up massively depending on how
> the windings are arranged. I have a lathe, but would rather not have
> the fiddle - and it *is* a fiddle, believe me - so would plum for one
> already in full working order.

Look up Lingouer on You tube. Some CCP funded bird who actually does
appear to be able to hand rewind rotor and stator coils for big electric
motors and generators whilst sitting in a rural backwater of china.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY1Fe6tYpwk

Josef Stalin

Re: small generator

<upjg79$2nus9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123619&group=uk.d-i-y#123619

From: joe.blogs@home.com (Gordy)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 19:36:03 +0000
 by: Gordy - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 19:36 UTC

> On 31/01/2024 21:02, Cursitor Doom wrote:
>> On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 15:15:51 -0800 (PST), Animal <tabbypurr@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Lin Guoer does it routinely, so you can see what's involved. Not too
>>> hard. But she fails to explain enough about the windings. Maybe you
>>> can study them to see what goes where.
>>>

>> Having a lathe can speed this process up massively depending on how
>> the windings are arranged. I have a lathe, but would rather not have
>> the fiddle - and it *is* a fiddle, believe me - so would plum for one
>> already in full working order.
>
> Look up Lingouer on You tube. Some CCP funded bird who actually does
> appear to be able to hand rewind rotor and stator coils for big electric
> motors and generators whilst sitting in a rural backwater of china.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY1Fe6tYpwk

Thanks for the responses, there are a few hand winding videos on
youtube, but non seem to fully explain calculating the windings, also
I'm not really sure about the AVR windings.

Time to look for a scrapper I think, I'm only interested in getting it
going as it's diesel and I'm more likely to have a surplus of diesel
than petrol on the day that I need it.

Re: small generator

<7f1003c3-eb31-4a7c-8ac8-4eea8fa2b5c0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123633&group=uk.d-i-y#123633

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 13:52:17 -0800 (PST)
From: tabbypurr@gmail.com (Animal)
 by: Animal - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 21:52 UTC

On Friday 2 February 2024 at 19:36:14 UTC, Gordy wrote:
> On 01/02/2024 10:22, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> > On 31/01/2024 21:02, Cursitor Doom wrote:

> >> Having a lathe can speed this process up massively depending on how
> >> the windings are arranged. I have a lathe, but would rather not have
> >> the fiddle - and it *is* a fiddle, believe me - so would plum for one
> >> already in full working order.
> >
> > Look up Lingouer on You tube. Some CCP funded bird who actually does
> > appear to be able to hand rewind rotor and stator coils for big electric
> > motors and generators whilst sitting in a rural backwater of china.
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY1Fe6tYpwk
> >
> Thanks for the responses, there are a few hand winding videos on
> youtube, but non seem to fully explain calculating the windings, also
> I'm not really sure about the AVR windings.
>
> Time to look for a scrapper I think, I'm only interested in getting it
> going as it's diesel and I'm more likely to have a surplus of diesel
> than petrol on the day that I need it.

Why do you need to calculate windings? Normally you just measure the wire wia with calipers & count the turns. And with a meter see what connects where.

Re: small generator

<nwK6iZGb+$ylFwJX@bancom.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=124669&group=uk.d-i-y#124669

From: tony@bancom.co.uk (tony sayer)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 23:47:39 +0000
 by: tony sayer - Tue, 13 Feb 2024 23:47 UTC

In article <0d1db6c9-bbdb-4dcf-85ac-636c3b316120n@googlegroups.com>,
Animal <tabbypurr@gmail.com> scribeth thus
>On Tuesday 30 January 2024 at 21:15:22 UTC, Gordy wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I got a second hand generator cheap with a view to 'tinkering it up'. I
>> thought it was 3kW but the stator says 1.8kW
>>
>> Now I've pulled it apart it would appear that the stator windings are shot.
>>
>> I'm struggling to find a supplier of spare parts so was thinking of
>> having a go at rewinding it myself, there are a few videos on youtube
>> and it looks fiddly but not impossible.
>>
>> Has anyone ever attempted it, or am I best off waiting to see if I can
>> find a generator with a shot engine.
>>
>> Regards
>
>Lin Guoer does it routinely, so you can see what's involved. Not too hard. But
>she fails to explain enough about the windings. Maybe you can study them to see
>what goes where.

Very impressive young lady her:)..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F52NHCBy1iY
--
Tony Sayer

Re: small generator

<uqhfqt$2gfvb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=124670&group=uk.d-i-y#124670

From: me@rest.uk (Smolley)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 04:33:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Smolley - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 04:33 UTC

On Tue, 13 Feb 2024 23:47:39 +0000, tony sayer wrote:

> In article <0d1db6c9-bbdb-4dcf-85ac-636c3b316120n@googlegroups.com>,
> Animal <tabbypurr@gmail.com> scribeth thus
>>On Tuesday 30 January 2024 at 21:15:22 UTC, Gordy wrote:
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> I got a second hand generator cheap with a view to 'tinkering it up'.
>>> I thought it was 3kW but the stator says 1.8kW
>>>
>>> Now I've pulled it apart it would appear that the stator windings are
>>> shot.
>>>
>>> I'm struggling to find a supplier of spare parts so was thinking of
>>> having a go at rewinding it myself, there are a few videos on youtube
>>> and it looks fiddly but not impossible.
>>>
>>> Has anyone ever attempted it, or am I best off waiting to see if I can
>>> find a generator with a shot engine.
>>>
>>> Regards G
>>
>>Lin Guoer does it routinely, so you can see what's involved. Not too
>>hard. But she fails to explain enough about the windings. Maybe you can
>>study them to see what goes where.
>>

> Very impressive young lady her:)..
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F52NHCBy1iY

I lived in China for several periods over the last fifteen years and I saw
at first hand that most girls are very capable.

They still haven't quite got the technique of soldering.

Re: small generator

<op.2i398rw5byq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=124671&group=uk.d-i-y#124671

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 16:44:41 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 05:44 UTC

On Wed, 14 Feb 2024 15:33:33 +1100, Smolley <me@rest.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Feb 2024 23:47:39 +0000, tony sayer wrote:
>
>> In article <0d1db6c9-bbdb-4dcf-85ac-636c3b316120n@googlegroups.com>,
>> Animal <tabbypurr@gmail.com> scribeth thus

>>> Lin Guoer does it routinely, so you can see what's involved. Not too
>>> hard. But she fails to explain enough about the windings. Maybe you can
>>> study them to see what goes where.
>>>

>> Very impressive young lady her:)..
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F52NHCBy1iY
>
> I lived in China for several periods over the last fifteen years and I
> saw
> at first hand that most girls are very capable.
>

> They still haven't quite got the technique of soldering.

BULLSHIT.

Re: Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

<Nk%yN.309359$q3F7.231102@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=124677&group=uk.d-i-y#124677

From: trolltrap@valid.invalid (Peeler)
Subject: Re: Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 10:01:43 +0100
 by: Peeler - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 09:01 UTC

On Wed, 14 Feb 2024 16:44:41 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Xeno to senile Rodent:
"You're a sad old man Rod, truly sad."
MID: <id04c3F50peU1@mid.individual.net>

Re: small generator

<uqi01p$2j0jl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=124678&group=uk.d-i-y#124678

From: patchmoney@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 09:10:17 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 09:10 UTC

On 14 Feb 2024 at 04:33:33 GMT, Smolley wrote:

>> Very impressive young lady her:)..
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F52NHCBy1iY
>
> I lived in China for several periods over the last fifteen years and I saw
> at first hand that most girls are very capable.
>
> They still haven't quite got the technique of soldering.

Thought it looked OK - no flux though, which would have made it possibly
easier and better IMVHO

--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: small generator

<l33evaFh3taU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=124684&group=uk.d-i-y#124684

From: nothanks@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 09:20:43 +0000
 by: nothanks@aolbin.com - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 09:20 UTC

On 13/02/2024 23:47, tony sayer wrote:
> In article <0d1db6c9-bbdb-4dcf-85ac-636c3b316120n@googlegroups.com>,
> Animal <tabbypurr@gmail.com> scribeth thus
>> On Tuesday 30 January 2024 at 21:15:22 UTC, Gordy wrote:
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> I got a second hand generator cheap with a view to 'tinkering it up'. I
>>> thought it was 3kW but the stator says 1.8kW
>>>
>>> Now I've pulled it apart it would appear that the stator windings are shot.
>>>
>>> I'm struggling to find a supplier of spare parts so was thinking of
>>> having a go at rewinding it myself, there are a few videos on youtube
>>> and it looks fiddly but not impossible.
>>>
>>> Has anyone ever attempted it, or am I best off waiting to see if I can
>>> find a generator with a shot engine.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>
>> Lin Guoer does it routinely, so you can see what's involved. Not too hard. But
>> she fails to explain enough about the windings. Maybe you can study them to see
>> what goes where.
>>

> Very impressive young lady her:)..
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F52NHCBy1iY
Impressive for anyone, but I won't be tackling that as a DIY job.

Re: small generator

<uqi7cl$2k7s2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=124689&group=uk.d-i-y#124689

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 11:15:33 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 11:15 UTC

On 13/02/2024 23:47, tony sayer wrote:
> In article <0d1db6c9-bbdb-4dcf-85ac-636c3b316120n@googlegroups.com>,
> Animal <tabbypurr@gmail.com> scribeth thus
>> On Tuesday 30 January 2024 at 21:15:22 UTC, Gordy wrote:
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> I got a second hand generator cheap with a view to 'tinkering it up'. I
>>> thought it was 3kW but the stator says 1.8kW
>>>
>>> Now I've pulled it apart it would appear that the stator windings are shot.
>>>
>>> I'm struggling to find a supplier of spare parts so was thinking of
>>> having a go at rewinding it myself, there are a few videos on youtube
>>> and it looks fiddly but not impossible.
>>>
>>> Has anyone ever attempted it, or am I best off waiting to see if I can
>>> find a generator with a shot engine.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>
>> Lin Guoer does it routinely, so you can see what's involved. Not too hard. But
>> she fails to explain enough about the windings. Maybe you can study them to see
>> what goes where.
>>

> Very impressive young lady her:)..
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F52NHCBy1iY

My problem is how she got to do all that on You tube without the
assistance of the Chinese communist party...In short how much of it is
actually faked...

--
“I know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the
greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most

― Leo Tolstoy

Re: small generator

<l33mnlFidpnU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=124693&group=uk.d-i-y#124693

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 11:33:09 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 11:33 UTC

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

> My problem is how she got to do all that on You tube without the
> assistance of the Chinese communist party...In short how much of it is
> actually faked...

A lot of the "build luxury mud hut in jungle" ones are faked, they
sometimes slip-up and leave excavator tracks in shot ...

Re: small generator

<uqib3d$2klrs$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=124696&group=uk.d-i-y#124696

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 12:18:53 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 12:18 UTC

On 14/02/2024 11:33, Andy Burns wrote:
> The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>
>> My problem is how she got to do all that on You tube without the
>> assistance of the Chinese communist party...In short how much of it is
>> actually faked...
>
> A lot of the "build luxury mud hut in jungle"  ones are faked, they
> sometimes slip-up and leave excavator tracks in shot ...

Yes. She never uses primer after stripping to bare metal. Just spray can
paint on top.
Still she is quite a hot little chick. And clearly not totally without
technical competence. The backstory I read was that she was an
engineering student who left the mountains went into the big city and
got addicted to drugs, got dried out and came home to 'help her
community' etc.

All very CCP shit.

--
“It is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.”

Thomas Sowell

Re: small generator

<5cj95DH72TzlFwBa@bancom.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=124737&group=uk.d-i-y#124737

From: tony@bancom.co.uk (tony sayer)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 22:24:59 +0000
 by: tony sayer - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 22:24 UTC

In article <uqhfqt$2gfvb$1@dont-email.me>, Smolley <me@rest.uk> scribeth
thus
>On Tue, 13 Feb 2024 23:47:39 +0000, tony sayer wrote:
>
>> In article <0d1db6c9-bbdb-4dcf-85ac-636c3b316120n@googlegroups.com>,
>> Animal <tabbypurr@gmail.com> scribeth thus

>>>Lin Guoer does it routinely, so you can see what's involved. Not too
>>>hard. But she fails to explain enough about the windings. Maybe you can
>>>study them to see what goes where.
>>>

>> Very impressive young lady her:)..
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F52NHCBy1iY
>
>I lived in China for several periods over the last fifteen years and I saw
>at first hand that most girls are very capable.
>

>They still haven't quite got the technique of soldering.

Had an affair with one and it was surprising what she could turn her
hand to!, a young female relative can do a lot of DIY pretty good at
Electric's and plumbing i think she'd do well in the building trade!..

--
Tony Sayer

Re: small generator

<3934ece0-4db0-43ca-8e8a-4e077d64c589n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=124908&group=uk.d-i-y#124908

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 14:45:54 -0800 (PST)
From: tabbypurr@gmail.com (Animal)
 by: Animal - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 22:45 UTC

On Tuesday 13 February 2024 at 23:50:26 UTC, tony sayer wrote:
> In article <0d1db6c9-bbdb-4dcf...@googlegroups.com>,
> Animal <tabb...@gmail.com> scribeth thus
> >On Tuesday 30 January 2024 at 21:15:22 UTC, Gordy wrote:
> >> Hi all
> >>
> >> I got a second hand generator cheap with a view to 'tinkering it up'. I
> >> thought it was 3kW but the stator says 1.8kW
> >>
> >> Now I've pulled it apart it would appear that the stator windings are shot.
> >>
> >> I'm struggling to find a supplier of spare parts so was thinking of
> >> having a go at rewinding it myself, there are a few videos on youtube
> >> and it looks fiddly but not impossible.
> >>
> >> Has anyone ever attempted it, or am I best off waiting to see if I can
> >> find a generator with a shot engine.
> >>
> >> Regards
> >
> >Lin Guoer does it routinely, so you can see what's involved. Not too hard. But
> >she fails to explain enough about the windings. Maybe you can study them to see
> >what goes where.
> >

> Very impressive young lady her:)..
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F52NHCBy1iY

Upto a point sure. But her ability set is limited & hasn't expanded, her painting skills atrocious, safety knowledge nonexistant, she only explains part of what she does, etc. But if you want an intro to fixing basic diesel engines, rewiring motors/gens and fixing/building waterwheels, that's what she does. Certainly the can do attitude beats what we see here by a long way..

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: small generator