From: jgnewsid@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Fitting Roller Blinds
Date: 19 Feb 2024 11:40:47 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 11:40 UTC

Got a new roller blind for the lounge, the tube on the old one was much
too small and finally collapsed.

The brackets are top fix or side fix, I went for side fix. Marked the
holes then realised there was no way the electric drill (or the battery
drill) would let me drill holes about 0.25" from the top of the window
recess, just under 1" was the minimum.

I went for that but it looks odd with the top of the bracket about 0.25"
below the top of the window recess.

Is there a trick to this, apart from sawing the top of the bracket of so
it doesn't show?

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
By the time you can make ends meet they move the ends

Re: Fitting Roller Blinds

<uqvg9a$1rsq1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125098&group=uk.d-i-y#125098

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Fitting Roller Blinds
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 12:07:06 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 12:07 UTC

On 19/02/2024 11:40, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> Got a new roller blind for the lounge, the tube on the old one was much
> too small and finally collapsed.
>
> The brackets are top fix or side fix, I went for side fix. Marked the
> holes then realised there was no way the electric drill (or the battery
> drill) would let me drill holes about 0.25" from the top of the window
> recess, just under 1" was the minimum.
>
> I went for that but it looks odd with the top of the bracket about 0.25"
> below the top of the window recess.
>
> Is there a trick to this, apart from sawing the top of the bracket of so
> it doesn't show?

Yes. Don't use an electric drill directly
Right angle and flexi drives...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TIMESETL-Extension-Professional-Attachment-Workspace/dp/B07R7V3X9V/ref=zg_bs_g_1939343031_d_sccl_17/259-1921750-6062316

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-633973-Flexi-Drill-Extension/dp/B0015NULL4

or a very long drill

e.g.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/sourcing-map-Speed-Diameter-Length/dp/B09YHJPVQD/

--
The lifetime of any political organisation is about three years before
it's been subverted by the people it tried to warn you about.

Anon.

Re: Fitting Roller Blinds

<l3gvo0Ftfu0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125099&group=uk.d-i-y#125099

From: mills37.fslife@gmail.com (Roger Mills)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 12:26:40 +0000
 by: Roger Mills - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 12:26 UTC

On 19/02/2024 11:40, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> Got a new roller blind for the lounge, the tube on the old one was much
> too small and finally collapsed.
>
> The brackets are top fix or side fix, I went for side fix. Marked the
> holes then realised there was no way the electric drill (or the battery
> drill) would let me drill holes about 0.25" from the top of the window
> recess, just under 1" was the minimum.
>
> I went for that but it looks odd with the top of the bracket about 0.25"
> below the top of the window recess.
>
> Is there a trick to this, apart from sawing the top of the bracket of so
> it doesn't show?

Use a drill bit with a hex shank, and a flexible connection to the drill
so that the chuck and drill body don't get in the way.

Examples:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-brad-point-wood-drill-bit-with-hex-shank-2mm-x-24mm/456fw
https://www.screwfix.com/p/1-4-hex-flexi-bit-holder-300mm/3405v
--
Cheers,
Roger

Re: Fitting Roller Blinds

<5b35231758charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125101&group=uk.d-i-y#125101

From: charles@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 24 13:45:03 UTC
 by: charles - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 13:45 UTC

In article <xn0oi9d7b6x392l00b@news.individual.net>,
Jeff Gaines <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:

> Got a new roller blind for the lounge, the tube on the old one was much
> too small and finally collapsed.

> The brackets are top fix or side fix, I went for side fix. Marked the
> holes then realised there was no way the electric drill (or the battery
> drill) would let me drill holes about 0.25" from the top of the window
> recess, just under 1" was the minimum.

> I went for that but it looks odd with the top of the bracket about 0.25"
> below the top of the window recess.

> Is there a trick to this, apart from sawing the top of the bracket of so
> it doesn't show?

a longer drill bit?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té²

Re: Fitting Roller Blinds

<l3h4feF4n8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125102&group=uk.d-i-y#125102

From: nothanks@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 13:47:27 +0000
 by: nothanks@aolbin.com - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 13:47 UTC

On 19/02/2024 11:40, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> Got a new roller blind for the lounge, the tube on the old one was much
> too small and finally collapsed.
>
> The brackets are top fix or side fix, I went for side fix. Marked the
> holes then realised there was no way the electric drill (or the battery
> drill) would let me drill holes about 0.25" from the top of the window
> recess, just under 1" was the minimum.
>
> I went for that but it looks odd with the top of the bracket about 0.25"
> below the top of the window recess.
>
> Is there a trick to this, apart from sawing the top of the bracket of so
> it doesn't show?

Are you fixing to the window frame or masonry? If fixing to the frame
then use gashed screws that don't need a pilot and a long screwdriver bit.

Re: Fitting Roller Blinds

<l3haikF1cshU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125107&group=uk.d-i-y#125107

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 15:31:33 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 15:31 UTC

Jeff Gaines wrote:

> The brackets are top fix or side fix, I went for side fix. Marked the
> holes then realised there was no way the electric drill (or the battery
> drill) would let me drill holes about 0.25" from the top of the window
> recess, just under 1" was the minimum.

Get a right-angle drill bit?

<https://i.redd.it/1674erf7cqa31.jpg>

Re: Fitting Roller Blinds

<xn0oi9lv078rawv00e@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125115&group=uk.d-i-y#125115

From: jgnewsid@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 19 Feb 2024 17:07:25 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 17:07 UTC

On 19/02/2024 in message <l3haikF1cshU1@mid.individual.net> Andy Burns
wrote:

>Jeff Gaines wrote:
>
>>The brackets are top fix or side fix, I went for side fix. Marked the
>>holes then realised there was no way the electric drill (or the battery
>>drill) would let me drill holes about 0.25" from the top of the window
>>recess, just under 1" was the minimum.
>
>Get a right-angle drill bit?
>
><https://i.redd.it/1674erf7cqa31.jpg>

You had me there for a minute :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF

Re: Fitting Roller Blinds

<xn0oidquma7jc4000@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125373&group=uk.d-i-y#125373

From: jgnewsid@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 22 Feb 2024 15:25:30 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 15:25 UTC

On 19/02/2024 in message <xn0oi9d7b6x392l00b@news.individual.net> Jeff
Gaines wrote:

>The brackets are top fix or side fix, I went for side fix. Marked the
>holes then realised there was no way the electric drill (or the battery
>drill) would let me drill holes about 0.25" from the top of the window
>recess, just under 1" was the minimum.
>
>I went for that but it looks odd with the top of the bracket about 0.25"
>below the top of the window recess.
>
>Is there a trick to this, apart from sawing the top of the bracket of so
>it doesn't show?

Many thanks for all the input. Strikes me they need to re-design the
brackets so you can fix them through screw holes at the bottom perhaps.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Fitting Roller Blinds