Don't go surfing in South Dakota for a while.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Repair to desk

SubjectAuthor
* Repair to deskScott
+* Re: Repair to deskcharles
|+- Re: Repair to deskScott
|`* Re: Repair to deskBob Martin
| `- Re: Repair to deskcharles
+* Re: Repair to deskTim Streater
|+- Re: Repair to deskScott
|`- Re: Repair to deskThe Natural Philosopher
+- Re: Repair to deskSteveW
`* Re: Repair to deskRJH
 +* Re: Repair to deskIan Jackson
 |`- Re: Repair to deskRJH
 +* Re: Repair to deskTricky Dicky
 |`* Re: Repair to deskThe Natural Philosopher
 | `* Re: Repair to deskRJH
 |  `* Re: Repair to deskThe Natural Philosopher
 |   `* Re: Repair to deskFredxx
 |    +- Re: Repair to deskRJH
 |    `- Re: Repair to deskalan_m
 `* Re: Repair to deskwasbit
  `* Re: Repair to deskTim Lamb
   `- Re: Repair to deskwasbit

1
Repair to desk

<l69stippicaokod2323hkjqv7lns315l6t@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125671&group=uk.d-i-y#125671

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Repair to desk
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 18:11:58 +0000
 by: Scott - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 18:11 UTC

I have a pine desk. One of the screws for the roller mechanism for the
shelf that holds the keyboard has fallen out. I am wondering how to
fix this:

1. Fill the hole with plastic wood and power drill a new hole into
the plastic wood
2. Put wood glue into the existing hole, followed by the screw
3. Put a match into the hold, followed by the screw

A longer screw is not an option due to the design. Unless I can fix
this, my days as a keyboard warrior may be limited :-)

Re: Repair to desk

<5b3961591echarles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125672&group=uk.d-i-y#125672

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: charles@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 24 18:30:03 UTC
Subject: Re: Repair to desk
 by: charles - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 18:30 UTC

In article <l69stippicaokod2323hkjqv7lns315l6t@4ax.com>,
Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> I have a pine desk. One of the screws for the roller mechanism for the
> shelf that holds the keyboard has fallen out. I am wondering how to
> fix this:

> 1. Fill the hole with plastic wood and power drill a new hole into
> the plastic wood
> 2. Put wood glue into the existing hole, followed by the screw
> 3. Put a match into the hold, followed by the screw

> A longer screw is not an option due to the design. Unless I can fix
> this, my days as a keyboard warrior may be limited :-)

A variation on #1 would be to put the screw into the hole before the filler
hardens. Saves drilling. But you need to support the load while the filler
is hardening.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té²

Re: Repair to desk

<l46p8eFkb4pU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125673&group=uk.d-i-y#125673

From: tim@streater.me.uk (Tim Streater)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 27 Feb 2024 18:50:54 GMT
 by: Tim Streater - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 18:50 UTC

On 27 Feb 2024 at 18:11:58 GMT, "Scott" <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> I have a pine desk. One of the screws for the roller mechanism for the
> shelf that holds the keyboard has fallen out. I am wondering how to
> fix this:
>
> 1. Fill the hole with plastic wood and power drill a new hole into
> the plastic wood
> 2. Put wood glue into the existing hole, followed by the screw
> 3. Put a match into the hold, followed by the screw
>
> A longer screw is not an option due to the design. Unless I can fix
> this, my days as a keyboard warrior may be limited :-)

I'd do a mixture of (2) and (3).

--
Tim

Re: Repair to desk

<llhsti1alq14of3pcfh8kf6girqviffkh6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125676&group=uk.d-i-y#125676

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 20:32:39 +0000
 by: Scott - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 20:32 UTC

On Tue, 27 Feb 24 18:30:03 UTC, charles <charles@candehope.me.uk>
wrote:

>In article <l69stippicaokod2323hkjqv7lns315l6t@4ax.com>,
> Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> I have a pine desk. One of the screws for the roller mechanism for the
>> shelf that holds the keyboard has fallen out. I am wondering how to
>> fix this:
>
>> 1. Fill the hole with plastic wood and power drill a new hole into
>> the plastic wood
>> 2. Put wood glue into the existing hole, followed by the screw
>> 3. Put a match into the *HOLE* hold, followed by the screw
>
>> A longer screw is not an option due to the design. Unless I can fix
>> this, my days as a keyboard warrior may be limited :-)
>
>A variation on #1 would be to put the screw into the hole before the filler
>hardens. Saves drilling. But you need to support the load while the filler
>is hardening.

That's not a problem as the shelf is removeable.

Re: Repair to desk

<l4834nFqbl8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125686&group=uk.d-i-y#125686

From: bob.martin@excite.com (Bob Martin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 28 Feb 2024 06:45:43 GMT
 by: Bob Martin - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 06:45 UTC

On 27 Feb 2024 at 23:30:03, charles <charles@candehope.me.uk> wrote:
> In article <l69stippicaokod2323hkjqv7lns315l6t@4ax.com>,
> Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> I have a pine desk. One of the screws for the roller mechanism for the
>> shelf that holds the keyboard has fallen out. I am wondering how to
>> fix this:
>
>> 1. Fill the hole with plastic wood and power drill a new hole into
>> the plastic wood
>> 2. Put wood glue into the existing hole, followed by the screw
>> 3. Put a match into the hold, followed by the screw
>
>> A longer screw is not an option due to the design. Unless I can fix
>> this, my days as a keyboard warrior may be limited :-)
>
> A variation on #1 would be to put the screw into the hole before the filler
> hardens. Saves drilling. But you need to support the load while the filler
> is hardening.

Charles, please check your system clock!

Re: Repair to desk

<5b39af5cefcharles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125689&group=uk.d-i-y#125689

Date: Wed, 28 Feb 24 08:45:02 UTC
From: charles@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
 by: charles - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 08:45 UTC

In article <l4834nFqbl8U1@mid.individual.net>, Bob Martin
<bob.martin@excite.com> wrote:
> On 27 Feb 2024 at 23:30:03, charles <charles@candehope.me.uk> wrote:
> > In article <l69stippicaokod2323hkjqv7lns315l6t@4ax.com>, Scott
> > <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> >> I have a pine desk. One of the screws for the roller mechanism for the
> >> shelf that holds the keyboard has fallen out. I am wondering how to
> >> fix this:
> >
> >> 1. Fill the hole with plastic wood and power drill a new hole into
> >> the plastic wood 2. Put wood glue into the existing hole, followed by
> >> the screw 3. Put a match into the hold, followed by the screw
> >
> >> A longer screw is not an option due to the design. Unless I can fix
> >> this, my days as a keyboard warrior may be limited :-)
> >
> > A variation on #1 would be to put the screw into the hole before the
> > filler hardens. Saves drilling. But you need to support the load while
> > the filler is hardening.

> Charles, please check your system clock!

What's wrong with it? It's right now. The 23:30:03 time shown in your
version of my message does not agree with the time I sent it, which was at
18:24. A gremlin at work. somewhere.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té²

Re: Repair to desk

<v1vtti5f5i434bedoe00o7quulhihh5uel@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125691&group=uk.d-i-y#125691

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 09:26:48 +0000
 by: Scott - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 09:26 UTC

On 27 Feb 2024 18:50:54 GMT, Tim Streater <tim@streater.me.uk> wrote:

>On 27 Feb 2024 at 18:11:58 GMT, "Scott" <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I have a pine desk. One of the screws for the roller mechanism for the
>> shelf that holds the keyboard has fallen out. I am wondering how to
>> fix this:
>>
>> 1. Fill the hole with plastic wood and power drill a new hole into
>> the plastic wood
>> 2. Put wood glue into the existing hole, followed by the screw
>> 3. Put a match into the hold, followed by the screw
>>
>> A longer screw is not an option due to the design. Unless I can fix
>> this, my days as a keyboard warrior may be limited :-)
>
>I'd do a mixture of (2) and (3).

Would you wait for the glue to dry before inserting the screw?

Re: Repair to desk

<urn81u$3sffu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125699&group=uk.d-i-y#125699

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 12:13:50 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 12:13 UTC

On 27/02/2024 18:50, Tim Streater wrote:
> On 27 Feb 2024 at 18:11:58 GMT, "Scott" <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I have a pine desk. One of the screws for the roller mechanism for the
>> shelf that holds the keyboard has fallen out. I am wondering how to
>> fix this:
>>
>> 1. Fill the hole with plastic wood and power drill a new hole into
>> the plastic wood
>> 2. Put wood glue into the existing hole, followed by the screw
>> 3. Put a match into the hold, followed by the screw
>>
>> A longer screw is not an option due to the design. Unless I can fix
>> this, my days as a keyboard warrior may be limited :-)
>
> I'd do a mixture of (2) and (3).

car body filler, drill when still soft, insert screw, tighten when
totally hard
look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly

Re: Repair to desk

<urpoh8$g0d3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125736&group=uk.d-i-y#125736

From: steve@walker-family.me.uk (SteveW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:07:20 +0000
 by: SteveW - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:07 UTC

On 27/02/2024 18:11, Scott wrote:
> I have a pine desk. One of the screws for the roller mechanism for the
> shelf that holds the keyboard has fallen out. I am wondering how to
> fix this:
>
> 1. Fill the hole with plastic wood and power drill a new hole into
> the plastic wood
> 2. Put wood glue into the existing hole, followed by the screw
> 3. Put a match into the hold, followed by the screw
>
> A longer screw is not an option due to the design. Unless I can fix
> this, my days as a keyboard warrior may be limited :-)

I'd go for glue and match and then put in a screw later.

I presume that you can't use a longer screw because it would come out of
the other side? If so, you could consider a machine screw, washer and
nut and just bolt it straight through. My keyboard shelf runners are
like that - although in my case, that is how they were designed, as the
sides are steel framed and not wood.

Re: Repair to desk

<urqajb$mkfs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125749&group=uk.d-i-y#125749

From: patchmoney@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 16:15:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 16:15 UTC

On 27 Feb 2024 at 18:11:58 GMT, Scott wrote:

> I have a pine desk. One of the screws for the roller mechanism for the
> shelf that holds the keyboard has fallen out. I am wondering how to
> fix this:
>
> 1. Fill the hole with plastic wood and power drill a new hole into
> the plastic wood
> 2. Put wood glue into the existing hole, followed by the screw
> 3. Put a match into the hold, followed by the screw
>
> A longer screw is not an option due to the design. Unless I can fix
> this, my days as a keyboard warrior may be limited :-)

I'd drill out the hole, carefully and straight, to the size of a dowel just
larger than the hole. Glue the dowel into the hole, and when set, drill a
pilot hole for the screw.

That should work well with pine. Wouldn't hold my breath had it been
chipboard.
--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: Repair to desk

<kF+0hXMOSL4lFwbM@brattleho.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125750&group=uk.d-i-y#125750

From: ianREMOVETHISjackson@g3ohx.co.uk (Ian Jackson)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 16:45:02 +0000
 by: Ian Jackson - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 16:45 UTC

In message <urqajb$mkfs$1@dont-email.me>, RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com>
writes
>On 27 Feb 2024 at 18:11:58 GMT, Scott wrote:
>
>> I have a pine desk. One of the screws for the roller mechanism for the
>> shelf that holds the keyboard has fallen out. I am wondering how to
>> fix this:
>>
>> 1. Fill the hole with plastic wood and power drill a new hole into
>> the plastic wood
>> 2. Put wood glue into the existing hole, followed by the screw
>> 3. Put a match into the hold, followed by the screw
>>
>> A longer screw is not an option due to the design. Unless I can fix
>> this, my days as a keyboard warrior may be limited :-)
>
>I'd drill out the hole, carefully and straight, to the size of a dowel just
>larger than the hole. Glue the dowel into the hole, and when set, drill a
>pilot hole for the screw.
>
>That should work well with pine. Wouldn't hold my breath had it been
>chipboard.

To strengthen chipboard which might break up (or already be breaking
up), it's a good idea to flood the hole with superglue, and allow it to
soak in and 'go off'.
--
Ian
Aims and ambitions are neither attainments nor achievements

Re: Repair to desk

<urqdki$n98b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125752&group=uk.d-i-y#125752

From: tricky.dicky@sky.com (Tricky Dicky)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 17:07:30 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:ToEk+jF0KEu4Zy4RczYtfpTBdbw=
 by: Tricky Dicky - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 17:07 UTC

RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:
> On 27 Feb 2024 at 18:11:58 GMT, Scott wrote:
>
>> I have a pine desk. One of the screws for the roller mechanism for the
>> shelf that holds the keyboard has fallen out. I am wondering how to
>> fix this:
>>
>> 1. Fill the hole with plastic wood and power drill a new hole into
>> the plastic wood
>> 2. Put wood glue into the existing hole, followed by the screw
>> 3. Put a match into the hold, followed by the screw
>>
>> A longer screw is not an option due to the design. Unless I can fix
>> this, my days as a keyboard warrior may be limited :-)
>
> I'd drill out the hole, carefully and straight, to the size of a dowel just
> larger than the hole. Glue the dowel into the hole, and when set, drill a
> pilot hole for the screw.
>
> That should work well with pine. Wouldn't hold my breath had it been
> chipboard.

+1. Use a dowel that is larger than the hole 8 - 10mm would be fine. It
will glue fine in the chipboard and with the dowels usually being hard wood
the completed repair will be stronger than the original. Do drill a pilot
hole do not try to drive the screw in without one.

Re: Repair to desk

<urqep1$ngen$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125753&group=uk.d-i-y#125753

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 17:26:56 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 17:26 UTC

On 29/02/2024 17:07, Tricky Dicky wrote:
> RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:
>> On 27 Feb 2024 at 18:11:58 GMT, Scott wrote:
>>
>>> I have a pine desk. One of the screws for the roller mechanism for the
>>> shelf that holds the keyboard has fallen out. I am wondering how to
>>> fix this:
>>>
>>> 1. Fill the hole with plastic wood and power drill a new hole into
>>> the plastic wood
>>> 2. Put wood glue into the existing hole, followed by the screw
>>> 3. Put a match into the hold, followed by the screw
>>>
>>> A longer screw is not an option due to the design. Unless I can fix
>>> this, my days as a keyboard warrior may be limited :-)
>>
>> I'd drill out the hole, carefully and straight, to the size of a dowel just
>> larger than the hole. Glue the dowel into the hole, and when set, drill a
>> pilot hole for the screw.
>>
>> That should work well with pine. Wouldn't hold my breath had it been
>> chipboard.
>
> +1. Use a dowel that is larger than the hole 8 - 10mm would be fine. It
> will glue fine in the chipboard and with the dowels usually being hard wood
> the completed repair will be stronger than the original. Do drill a pilot
> hole do not try to drive the screw in without one.

Simply use car body filler. its polyester resin which glues the chips
together loaded with a filler that takes screws magnificiently

Dowel is old school and crap

--
Climate Change: Socialism wearing a lab coat.

Re: Repair to desk

<urqh4b$o1e0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125755&group=uk.d-i-y#125755

From: patchmoney@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 18:07:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 18:07 UTC

On 29 Feb 2024 at 17:26:56 GMT, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

> On 29/02/2024 17:07, Tricky Dicky wrote:
>> RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:

>>> I'd drill out the hole, carefully and straight, to the size of a dowel just
>>> larger than the hole. Glue the dowel into the hole, and when set, drill a
>>> pilot hole for the screw.
>>>
>>> That should work well with pine. Wouldn't hold my breath had it been
>>> chipboard.
>>
>> +1. Use a dowel that is larger than the hole 8 - 10mm would be fine. It
>> will glue fine in the chipboard and with the dowels usually being hard wood
>> the completed repair will be stronger than the original. Do drill a pilot
>> hole do not try to drive the screw in without one.
>>
> Simply use car body filler. its polyester resin which glues the chips
> together loaded with a filler that takes screws magnificiently

I've tried similar but how do you get it to fill the hole?

> Dowel is old school and crap

Nope, worked well for me at least in some high stress situations - hinge
screws for a heavy door for example.
--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: Repair to desk

<urqh50$o1e0$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125756&group=uk.d-i-y#125756

From: patchmoney@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 18:07:28 -0000 (UTC)

On 29 Feb 2024 at 16:45:02 GMT, Ian Jackson wrote:

> In message <urqajb$mkfs$1@dont-email.me>, RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com>
> writes
>> On 27 Feb 2024 at 18:11:58 GMT, Scott wrote:
>>
>>> I have a pine desk. One of the screws for the roller mechanism for the
>>> shelf that holds the keyboard has fallen out. I am wondering how to
>>> fix this:
>>>
>>> 1. Fill the hole with plastic wood and power drill a new hole into
>>> the plastic wood
>>> 2. Put wood glue into the existing hole, followed by the screw
>>> 3. Put a match into the hold, followed by the screw
>>>
>>> A longer screw is not an option due to the design. Unless I can fix
>>> this, my days as a keyboard warrior may be limited :-)
>>
>> I'd drill out the hole, carefully and straight, to the size of a dowel just
>> larger than the hole. Glue the dowel into the hole, and when set, drill a
>> pilot hole for the screw.
>>
>> That should work well with pine. Wouldn't hold my breath had it been
>> chipboard.
>
> To strengthen chipboard which might break up (or already be breaking
> up), it's a good idea to flood the hole with superglue, and allow it to
> soak in and 'go off'.

Noted, ta.
--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: Repair to desk

<urqkju$oonj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125757&group=uk.d-i-y#125757

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 19:06:38 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 19:06 UTC

On 29/02/2024 18:07, RJH wrote:
> On 29 Feb 2024 at 17:26:56 GMT, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

>>> +1. Use a dowel that is larger than the hole 8 - 10mm would be fine. It
>>> will glue fine in the chipboard and with the dowels usually being hard wood
>>> the completed repair will be stronger than the original. Do drill a pilot
>>> hole do not try to drive the screw in without one.
>>>
>> Simply use car body filler. its polyester resin which glues the chips
>> together loaded with a filler that takes screws magnificiently
>>

> I've tried similar but how do you get it to fill the hole?
>
>> Dowel is old school and crap
>
> Nope, worked well for me at least in some high stress situations - hinge
> screws for a heavy door for example.

This is CHIPboard dude. Lightweight stuff with no strength. You need to
stablisise it and spread the load. Car body filler does both.

--
WOKE is an acronym... Without Originality, Knowledge or Education.

Re: Repair to desk

<urqqsf$pp7e$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125762&group=uk.d-i-y#125762

From: fredxx@spam.invalid (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 20:53:36 +0000
 by: Fredxx - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 20:53 UTC

> On 29/02/2024 18:07, RJH wrote:

>>> Simply use car body filler. its polyester resin which glues the chips
>>> together loaded with a filler that takes screws magnificiently
>>>

>> I've tried similar but how do you get it to fill the hole?
>>
>>> Dowel is old school and crap
>>
>> Nope, worked well for me at least in some high stress situations - hinge
>> screws for a heavy door for example.
>
> This is CHIPboard dude.

I read this was a "pine desk"?

Given this is a pin desk, I would use a dowel and glue it in place, and
make sure the dowel displaced the glue.

Next option; if I had a wreck of a car and had car body filler at hand
then I might use that, otherwise I'd use plastic wood filler. However it
is quite difficult to get anything like this into a hole, hence the
dowel approach would be the preferred option.

Re: Repair to desk

<urs0cq$14e1b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125767&group=uk.d-i-y#125767

From: patchmoney@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 07:33:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 07:33 UTC

On 29 Feb 2024 at 20:53:36 GMT, Fredxx wrote:

> On 29/02/2024 19:06, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

>>> I've tried similar but how do you get it to fill the hole?

>>> Nope, worked well for me at least in some high stress situations - hinge
>>> screws for a heavy door for example.
>>
>> This is CHIPboard dude.
>
> I read this was a "pine desk"?

Indeed.

> Given this is a pin desk, I would use a dowel and glue it in place, and
> make sure the dowel displaced the glue.
>
> Next option; if I had a wreck of a car and had car body filler at hand
> then I might use that, otherwise I'd use plastic wood filler. However it
> is quite difficult to get anything like this into a hole, hence the
> dowel approach would be the preferred option.

Yes, I tried asking about that.

--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: Repair to desk

<l4dggnFl3ncU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125768&group=uk.d-i-y#125768

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 08:04:39 +0000
 by: alan_m - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 08:04 UTC

On 29/02/2024 20:53, Fredxx wrote:
> On 29/02/2024 19:06, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

>>> I've tried similar but how do you get it to fill the hole?

>>> Nope, worked well for me at least in some high stress situations - hinge
>>> screws for a heavy door for example.
>>
>> This is CHIPboard dude.
>
> I read this was a "pine desk"?
>
> Given this is a pin desk, I would use a dowel and glue it in place, and
> make sure the dowel displaced the glue.
>
> Next option; if I had a wreck of a car and had car body filler at hand
> then I might use that, otherwise I'd use plastic wood filler. However it
> is quite difficult to get anything like this into a hole, hence the
> dowel approach would be the preferred option.

I've used both methods.

If you don't have any two part car body filler to hand (or the
equivalent sold as wood filler) then the dowel method will be a lot
cheaper as a tin of car body filler isn't cheap.

Maybe the advantage of the dowel method with chipboard is that you tend
to stabilise the surrounding area with PVA glue. If a screw has already
pulled out the surrounding wood chip has probably already been
compromised and is weak. PVA will soak into this weak area and set hard.

I cannot see the problem of getting car body filler into the hole. With
both methods you first drill out the (screw) hole to make it bigger.
With car body filler you just pack it in and use the flat end of the
drill bit to push it into the hole so that there are no voids.

Chipboard does vary greatly in quality. If had some with the strength
less than Wheatabix where the only thing holding it together was the
laminated coating. I've also come across chipboard from cheap flat pack
furniture that has been tough and the "chips" well bonded in resin.

Re: Repair to desk

<urs84n$15tjv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125772&group=uk.d-i-y#125772

From: wasbit@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 09:45:58 +0000
 by: wasbit - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 09:45 UTC

On 29/02/2024 16:15, RJH wrote:
> On 27 Feb 2024 at 18:11:58 GMT, Scott wrote:
>
>> I have a pine desk. One of the screws for the roller mechanism for the
>> shelf that holds the keyboard has fallen out. I am wondering how to
>> fix this:
>>
>> 1. Fill the hole with plastic wood and power drill a new hole into
>> the plastic wood
>> 2. Put wood glue into the existing hole, followed by the screw
>> 3. Put a match into the hold, followed by the screw
>>
>> A longer screw is not an option due to the design. Unless I can fix
>> this, my days as a keyboard warrior may be limited :-)
>
> I'd drill out the hole, carefully and straight, to the size of a dowel just
> larger than the hole. Glue the dowel into the hole, and when set, drill a
> pilot hole for the screw.
>
> That should work well with pine. Wouldn't hold my breath had it been
> chipboard.

The hard bit (no pun intended) is stopping the drill before it breaks
out the far side. Difficult to do without some form of depth collar.
However one is easy to make with a piece of flat scrap wood. Drill a
hole the same size as the dowel then adjust the drill protrusion so that
it is less than the thickness of the side of the desk.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Repair to desk

<zzasle7wma4lFwLG@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125774&group=uk.d-i-y#125774

From: tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 10:10:56 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 10:10 UTC

In message <urs84n$15tjv$1@dont-email.me>, wasbit <wasbit@nowhere.com>
writes
>On 29/02/2024 16:15, RJH wrote:
>> On 27 Feb 2024 at 18:11:58 GMT, Scott wrote:
>>
>>> I have a pine desk. One of the screws for the roller mechanism for
>>>the
>>> shelf that holds the keyboard has fallen out. I am wondering how to
>>> fix this:
>>>
>>> 1. Fill the hole with plastic wood and power drill a new hole into
>>> the plastic wood
>>> 2. Put wood glue into the existing hole, followed by the screw
>>> 3. Put a match into the hold, followed by the screw
>>>
>>> A longer screw is not an option due to the design. Unless I can fix
>>> this, my days as a keyboard warrior may be limited :-)
>> I'd drill out the hole, carefully and straight, to the size of a
>>dowel just
>> larger than the hole. Glue the dowel into the hole, and when set, drill a
>> pilot hole for the screw.
>> That should work well with pine. Wouldn't hold my breath had it been
>> chipboard.
>>

>The hard bit (no pun intended) is stopping the drill before it breaks
>out the far side. Difficult to do without some form of depth collar.
>However one is easy to make with a piece of flat scrap wood. Drill a
>hole the same size as the dowel then adjust the drill protrusion so
>that it is less than the thickness of the side of the desk.

Hmm. Not all drill chucks will allow this for relatively shallow holes.
Suggested in here before and works well for a few holes, is to wrap a
short length of masking or other tape around the bit to mark the
appropriate depth.

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Repair to desk

<urus1o$1qc1r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125841&group=uk.d-i-y#125841

From: wasbit@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 09:38:00 +0000
 by: wasbit - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 09:38 UTC

On 01/03/2024 10:10, Tim Lamb wrote:
> In message <urs84n$15tjv$1@dont-email.me>, wasbit <wasbit@nowhere.com>
> writes

>>>  I'd drill out the hole, carefully and straight, to the size of a
>>> dowel just
>>> larger than the hole. Glue the dowel into the hole, and when set,
>>> drill a
>>> pilot hole for the screw.
>>>  That should work well with pine. Wouldn't hold my breath had it been
>>> chipboard.
>>>

>> The hard bit (no pun intended) is stopping the drill before it breaks
>> out the far side. Difficult to do without some form of depth collar.
>> However one is easy to make with a piece of flat scrap wood. Drill a
>> hole the same size as the dowel then adjust the drill protrusion so
>> that it is less than the thickness of the side of the desk.
>
> Hmm. Not all drill chucks will allow this for relatively shallow holes.
> Suggested in here before and works well for a few holes, is to wrap a
> short length of masking or other tape around the bit to mark the
> appropriate depth.

Yes, I should have said that it was for jobber length HSS drill bits. If
they are too long then use a thicker piece of scrap.

--
Regards
wasbit