You are going to have a new love affair.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Inserting a picture into an email message

SubjectAuthor
* Inserting a picture into an email messageChris Hogg
+- Re: Inserting a picture into an email messagemm0fmf
+* Re: Inserting a picture into an email messageMichael Chare
|`- Re: Inserting a picture into an email messageTim Streater
+- Re: Inserting a picture into an email messagePeeler
+- Re: Inserting a picture into an email messageJohn Rumm
+* Re: Inserting a picture into an email messageAndy Burns
|`- Re: Inserting a picture into an email messageTheo
+- Re: Inserting a picture into an email messageChris Hogg
+- Re: Inserting a picture into an email messageThe Natural Philosopher
`* Re: Inserting a picture into an email messageChris Hogg
 +- Re: Inserting a picture into an email messageTim Streater
 `- Re: Inserting a picture into an email messageJohn Rumm

1
Inserting a picture into an email message

<4dksti11cu416bect50gf7c77cug4s20h5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125679&group=uk.d-i-y#125679

From: me@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Inserting a picture into an email message
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 22:02:24 +0000
 by: Chris Hogg - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 22:02 UTC

Sounds easy, doesn't it. Well, I can't get it to work!

For example, instructions on Lifewire say:
Open Thunderbird and select Write to begin a new message.
Put the cursor where you want the image to appear in the body of the
email.
Select Insert > Image from the menu.
Select Choose File.
Navigate to the image file on your device and select Open.

https://www.lifewire.com/insert-inline-image-thunderbird-1173116

Lines 1 and 2 are OK, but line 3 says 'Select Insert > Image from the
menu'

But there is no 'Insert' command on my screen, anywhere! The toolbar
only contains File Edit View Options Tools Help. None of the
drop-down menus from those toolbar headings say anything about Insert,
nor can I see about Insert under Account Settings or Settings

Another version of instructions says to press F10 to show the Insert
temporarily. It doesn't. Nothing happens. I don't seem to be able to
generate an 'Insert' command any way.

So how do I get an 'insert' command to appear on my . I don't want to
simply add pictures as attachments. I know how to do that!

How can it be so difficult to insert a picture? Grrrr!

I'm using T'bird version 102.15.1 Win 10

--
Chris

Re: Inserting a picture into an email message

<urlmta$3eh3g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125680&group=uk.d-i-y#125680

From: none@invalid.com (mm0fmf)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Inserting a picture into an email message
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 22:15:05 +0000
 by: mm0fmf - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 22:15 UTC

On 27/02/2024 22:02, Chris Hogg wrote:

> But there is no 'Insert' command on my screen, anywhere! The toolbar

I think you have to be creating HTML format emails for the insert menu
to appear.

Re: Inserting a picture into an email message

<urln70$3egtj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125681&group=uk.d-i-y#125681

From: mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorg.uk (Michael Chare)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 22:20:15 +0000
 by: Michael Chare - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 22:20 UTC

On 27/02/2024 22:02, Chris Hogg wrote:
> Sounds easy, doesn't it. Well, I can't get it to work!
>
> For example, instructions on Lifewire say:
> Open Thunderbird and select Write to begin a new message.
> Put the cursor where you want the image to appear in the body of the
> email.
> Select Insert > Image from the menu.
> Select Choose File.
> Navigate to the image file on your device and select Open.
>
> https://www.lifewire.com/insert-inline-image-thunderbird-1173116
>
> Lines 1 and 2 are OK, but line 3 says 'Select Insert > Image from the
> menu'
>
> But there is no 'Insert' command on my screen, anywhere! The toolbar
> only contains File Edit View Options Tools Help. None of the
> drop-down menus from those toolbar headings say anything about Insert,
> nor can I see about Insert under Account Settings or Settings
>
> Another version of instructions says to press F10 to show the Insert
> temporarily. It doesn't. Nothing happens. I don't seem to be able to
> generate an 'Insert' command any way.
>
> So how do I get an 'insert' command to appear on my . I don't want to
> simply add pictures as attachments. I know how to do that!
>
> How can it be so difficult to insert a picture? Grrrr!
>
> I'm using T'bird version 102.15.1 Win 10

Do you not see a paper clip and "attach" in the top right corner of the
new message?

--
Michael Chare

Re: Inserting a picture into an email message

<nktDN.96869$SyNd.11474@fx33.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125682&group=uk.d-i-y#125682

From: trolltrap@valid.invalid (Peeler)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 23:25:26 +0100
 by: Peeler - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 22:25 UTC

On Tue, 27 Feb 2024 22:02:24 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

> Sounds easy, doesn't it. Well, I can't get it to work!
>
> For example, instructions on Lifewire say:
> Open Thunderbird and select Write to begin a new message.
> Put the cursor where you want the image to appear in the body of the
> email.
> Select Insert > Image from the menu.
> Select Choose File.
> Navigate to the image file on your device and select Open.
>
> https://www.lifewire.com/insert-inline-image-thunderbird-1173116
>
> Lines 1 and 2 are OK, but line 3 says 'Select Insert > Image from the
> menu'
>
> But there is no 'Insert' command on my screen, anywhere! The toolbar
> only contains File Edit View Options Tools Help. None of the
> drop-down menus from those toolbar headings say anything about Insert,
> nor can I see about Insert under Account Settings or Settings
>
> Another version of instructions says to press F10 to show the Insert
> temporarily. It doesn't. Nothing happens. I don't seem to be able to
> generate an 'Insert' command any way.
>
> So how do I get an 'insert' command to appear on my . I don't want to
> simply add pictures as attachments. I know how to do that!
>
> How can it be so difficult to insert a picture? Grrrr!

Under "Options" > "Format" select anything but "Plain Text Only".

Re: Inserting a picture into an email message

<l47800Fmhb9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125683&group=uk.d-i-y#125683

From: tim@streater.me.uk (Tim Streater)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 27 Feb 2024 23:02:24 GMT
 by: Tim Streater - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 23:02 UTC

On 27 Feb 2024 at 22:20:15 GMT, "Michael Chare"
<mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorg.uk> wrote:

> On 27/02/2024 22:02, Chris Hogg wrote:
>> Sounds easy, doesn't it. Well, I can't get it to work!
>>
>> For example, instructions on Lifewire say:
>> Open Thunderbird and select Write to begin a new message.
>> Put the cursor where you want the image to appear in the body of the
>> email.
>> Select Insert > Image from the menu.
>> Select Choose File.
>> Navigate to the image file on your device and select Open.
>>
>> https://www.lifewire.com/insert-inline-image-thunderbird-1173116
>>
>> Lines 1 and 2 are OK, but line 3 says 'Select Insert > Image from the
>> menu'
>>
>> But there is no 'Insert' command on my screen, anywhere! The toolbar
>> only contains File Edit View Options Tools Help. None of the
>> drop-down menus from those toolbar headings say anything about Insert,
>> nor can I see about Insert under Account Settings or Settings
>>
>> Another version of instructions says to press F10 to show the Insert
>> temporarily. It doesn't. Nothing happens. I don't seem to be able to
>> generate an 'Insert' command any way.
>>
>> So how do I get an 'insert' command to appear on my . I don't want to
>> simply add pictures as attachments. I know how to do that!
>>
>> How can it be so difficult to insert a picture? Grrrr!
>>
>> I'm using T'bird version 102.15.1 Win 10
>
> Do you not see a paper clip and "attach" in the top right corner of the
> new message?

I imagine that's for attachments. Chris wants to insert an inline image.

--
The reason you think government is the solution is because you think freedom is the problem. But the truth is that government ensures that the most evil, ruthless people end up in control, because the state is a single point of failure, and a high-value target of corruption.

Alan Lovejoy

Re: Inserting a picture into an email message

<urm146$3gdpr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125684&group=uk.d-i-y#125684

From: see.my.signature@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 01:09:26 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 01:09 UTC

On 27/02/2024 22:02, Chris Hogg wrote:
> Sounds easy, doesn't it. Well, I can't get it to work!

> How can it be so difficult to insert a picture? Grrrr!

Not at all, but (and you knew there would be one of those!), you must be
sending a HTML email rather than plain text one.

The default for a new install is to send HTML. However you may have
configured it at some point to use plain text.

You can start a new message in the non default format by holding shift
when you click the New Message button.

You can tell which you are using by looking at the layout of the edit
window:

https://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/HTML_Email_in_Thunderbird

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Inserting a picture into an email message

<l487g7FquluU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125687&group=uk.d-i-y#125687

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 08:00:09 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 08:00 UTC

Chris Hogg wrote:

> Sounds easy, doesn't it. Well, I can't get it to work!
>
> For example, instructions on Lifewire say:
> Open Thunderbird and select Write to begin a new message.
> Put the cursor where you want the image to appear in the body of the
> email.
> Select Insert > Image from the menu.
> Select Choose File.
> Navigate to the image file on your device and select Open.

Presumably "they" are defaulting to html emails, and you are defaulting
to plain text?

Simplty hold shift at the time you click "write", then that specific
email will be composed as html

Re: Inserting a picture into an email message

<testti1fkqji5tvpdek916rldknr4og225@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125688&group=uk.d-i-y#125688

From: me@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 08:45:59 +0000
 by: Chris Hogg - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 08:45 UTC

Wahey! It works! Thanks to all for the help. I did have the 'sending
format' set to Plain Text. Probably set it that way many years ago and
never needed it different. Now set to Automatic.

Thanks again.

--
Chris

Re: Inserting a picture into an email message

<1we*H17Dz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125690&group=uk.d-i-y#125690

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 28 Feb 2024 08:57:41 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 08:57 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> Presumably "they" are defaulting to html emails, and you are defaulting
> to plain text?
>
> Simplty hold shift at the time you click "write", then that specific
> email will be composed as html

Ah, brilliant. That also works for Reply, Forward etc. Very handy when you
want to quote an HTML mail - TB makes a mess of turning HTML into plain text
when quoting.

Theo

Re: Inserting a picture into an email message

<urn884$3sffu$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125700&group=uk.d-i-y#125700

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 12:17:08 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 12:17 UTC

On 27/02/2024 22:02, Chris Hogg wrote:
> How can it be so difficult to insert a picture? Grrrr!
>
> I'm using T'bird version 102.15.1 Win 10

Go to picture.
Right click
select 'copy image'
In thunderbird select 'paste' from edit menu. Or use ctrl-V

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)

Re: Inserting a picture into an email message

<23t0uil6161hd4aat60is5sogut7ijca27@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125742&group=uk.d-i-y#125742

From: me@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 12:23:18 +0000
 by: Chris Hogg - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 12:23 UTC

On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 10:08:15 +0000 (GMT+00:00), "Graham. "
<graham-usenet@mail.com> wrote:

> If I drag an image file to the TB compose window two columns
> appear. One side is for in-line and the other for attachment you
> simply drop the file in the appropriate one. Very intuitive.

Doesn't work for me if I have 'text only' selected in the 'send
format' under 'settings' (which I did have and probably had for quite
a few years). In that situation, dragging an image into the compose
window on TB adds the image as an attachment, but not into the main
body of the text, which was what I was wanting. Getting the latter to
happen only seems to work when I have either automatic, both HTML and
plain text, or only HTML selected.

Perhaps the latest version of TB does what you describe, but I'm
avoiding upgrading as I've seen reports that it presents rather
differently to older versions, and life is complicated enough...

--
Chris

Re: Inserting a picture into an email message

<l4bc04Fb8k7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125745&group=uk.d-i-y#125745

From: tim@streater.me.uk (Tim Streater)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 29 Feb 2024 12:35:16 GMT
 by: Tim Streater - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 12:35 UTC

On 29 Feb 2024 at 12:23:18 GMT, "Chris Hogg" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 10:08:15 +0000 (GMT+00:00), "Graham. "
> <graham-usenet@mail.com> wrote:
>
>> If I drag an image file to the TB compose window two columns
>> appear. One side is for in-line and the other for attachment you
>> simply drop the file in the appropriate one. Very intuitive.
>>
> Doesn't work for me if I have 'text only' selected in the 'send
> format' under 'settings' (which I did have and probably had for quite
> a few years). In that situation, dragging an image into the compose
> window on TB adds the image as an attachment, but not into the main
> body of the text, which was what I was wanting. Getting the latter to
> happen only seems to work when I have either automatic, both HTML and
> plain text, or only HTML selected.

This is unsurprising. A chunk of plain text can contain no markers or anything
else to indicate just where the image(s) need to sit relative to surrounding
bits of text (you'd see them if there were). Whereas html is designed for the
purpose.

--
"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend.... if you have one." - GB Shaw to Churchill. "Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second... if there is one." - Winston Churchill, in response.

Re: Inserting a picture into an email message

<urq4kt$laul$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125746&group=uk.d-i-y#125746

From: see.my.signature@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 14:34:04 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 14:34 UTC

On 29/02/2024 12:23, Chris Hogg wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 10:08:15 +0000 (GMT+00:00), "Graham. "
> <graham-usenet@mail.com> wrote:
>
>> If I drag an image file to the TB compose window two columns
>> appear. One side is for in-line and the other for attachment you
>> simply drop the file in the appropriate one. Very intuitive.
>>
> Doesn't work for me if I have 'text only' selected in the 'send
> format' under 'settings' (which I did have and probably had for quite
> a few years). In that situation, dragging an image into the compose
> window on TB adds the image as an attachment, but not into the main
> body of the text, which was what I was wanting. Getting the latter to
> happen only seems to work when I have either automatic, both HTML and
> plain text, or only HTML selected.
>
> Perhaps the latest version of TB does what you describe, but I'm
> avoiding upgrading as I've seen reports that it presents rather
> differently to older versions, and life is complicated enough...

No, the current version will be the same. That is by design. Plain text
emails can have attachments and that is all. You can't embed an image or
do anything else at all "fancy" because there is no way to include that
information in a plain text message in a readable form and keep it as
plain text.

--
Cheers,

John.