From: lalaw44@hotmail.com (Another John)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Slightly off-topic: plastic kit forum(s)
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2024 13:28:22 GMT
 by: Another John - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 13:28 UTC

There used to be a Usenet Group called rec.models.scale (still is, but it's
dead), of which I was a keen reader.

Does anyone know where - if anywhere - the contributors to that group went, to
discuss issues?

I've recently forced myself to rekindle my interest in building plastic model
kits. I retired; then all my spare time started to disappear in doing favours
for others (which turned into obligations), and/or into one damned thing after
another in the house, or the garden, or in the neighbourhood. My powers have
now started to dwindle, so everything I do takes longer, and so all my spare
time is disappeareing faster than ever!

Hence: I decided a couple of weeks ago to force myself to spend more time
doing what I actually want to do as opposed to what I think I ought to be
doing.

Hence my question: where did the modellers go? Every web-based forum I've ever
looked at is woeful, compared to the quick-fire, intelligent, informed
exchange of ideas and experience that we used to get in RMS. (Combined with
the infinitely more powerful organisation of the Usenet platform!)

PS
In case anyone in DIY is also a plastic modeller: "Issue of the day" right now
for me, modelling-wise, is: how reliable are acrylics these days compared to
the old faithful: Humbrol enamels (all of those that I have, have dried in
their tins in the last several years). I'm looking at the Humbrol Acrylic
"Dropper Bottles".

Cheers all
John

Re: Slightly off-topic: plastic kit forum(s)

<urv9u2$1t4ul$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125868&group=uk.d-i-y#125868

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Slightly off-topic: plastic kit forum(s)
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 13:34:58 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 13:34 UTC

On 02/03/2024 13:28, Another John wrote:
> PS
> In case anyone in DIY is also a plastic modeller: "Issue of the day" right now
> for me, modelling-wise, is: how reliable are acrylics these days compared to
> the old faithful: Humbrol enamels (all of those that I have, have dried in
> their tins in the last several years). I'm looking at the Humbrol Acrylic
> "Dropper Bottles".

Only bit of your post I can respond to. My models are wood, not plastic!

The paints are pretty good. Buy and try a few.

--
“Ideas are inherently conservative. They yield not to the attack of
other ideas but to the massive onslaught of circumstance"

- John K Galbraith

Re: Slightly off-topic: plastic kit forum(s)

<op.2j0ng2m0byq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125905&group=uk.d-i-y#125905

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2024 04:13:40 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 17:13 UTC

Another John <lalaw44@hotmail.com> wrote

> There used to be a Usenet Group called rec.models.scale (still is, but
> it's dead), of which I was a keen reader.

> Does anyone know where - if anywhere - the contributors to that group
> went, to discuss issues?

Facebook, TikTok, Telegram etc.

> I've recently forced myself to rekindle my interest in building plastic
> model
> kits. I retired; then all my spare time started to disappear in doing
> favours
> for others (which turned into obligations), and/or into one damned thing
> after
> another in the house, or the garden, or in the neighbourhood. My powers
> have
> now started to dwindle, so everything I do takes longer, and so all my
> spare
> time is disappeareing faster than ever!
>
> Hence: I decided a couple of weeks ago to force myself to spend more time
> doing what I actually want to do as opposed to what I think I ought to be
> doing.
>
> Hence my question: where did the modellers go? Every web-based forum
> I've ever
> looked at is woeful, compared to the quick-fire, intelligent, informed
> exchange of ideas and experience that we used to get in RMS. (Combined
> with
> the infinitely more powerful organisation of the Usenet platform!)

Yes, those other forums are very different in style, but still useful.

> PS
> In case anyone in DIY is also a plastic modeller: "Issue of the day"
> right now
> for me, modelling-wise, is: how reliable are acrylics these days
> compared to
> the old faithful: Humbrol enamels (all of those that I have, have dried
> in
> their tins in the last several years). I'm looking at the Humbrol Acrylic
> "Dropper Bottles".

Re: Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

<kmJEN.518325$xHn7.93982@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125916&group=uk.d-i-y#125916

From: trolltrap@valid.invalid (Peeler)
Subject: Re: Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 18:29:51 +0100
 by: Peeler - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 17:29 UTC

On Sun, 03 Mar 2024 04:13:40 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

The Natural Philosopher about senile Rodent: