Stop searching forever. Happiness is unattainable.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Best product to replace mouldy shower sealant

SubjectAuthor
* Best product to replace mouldy shower sealantJohn Smith
+* Re: Best product to replace mouldy shower sealantThe Natural Philosopher
|`- Re: Best product to replace mouldy shower sealantalan_m
+- Re: Best product to replace mouldy shower sealantalan_m
`- Re: Best product to replace mouldy shower sealantJohn Rumm

1
Best product to replace mouldy shower sealant

<2024030410182085066-nospam@nospamcom>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126121&group=uk.d-i-y#126121

From: nospam@nospam.com (John Smith)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Best product to replace mouldy shower sealant
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 10:18:20 +0000
 by: John Smith - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 10:18 UTC

Got bad black mould on bottom white sealant in shower cubicle - is
there any difference between the anti-mould sealants and if so which is
better.

Also I've seen that a tape can also be used which looks a lot easier to
do. Any good?

Pointers to a good video on applying sealant would be good. Including
tools and removing old.

Thanks

Re: Best product to replace mouldy shower sealant

<us47kv$33beb$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126125&group=uk.d-i-y#126125

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Best product to replace mouldy shower sealant
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 10:26:39 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 10:26 UTC

On 04/03/2024 10:18, John Smith wrote:
> Got bad black mould on bottom white sealant in shower cubicle - is there
> any difference between the anti-mould sealants and if so which is better.
>
> Also I've seen that a tape can also be used which looks a lot easier to
> do. Any good?
>
> Pointers to a good video on applying sealant would be good. Including
> tools and removing old.
>
> Thanks

Just wipe it down with bleach occasionally. And use a daily shower spray.

Or if you are too lazy, learn to love its artistic effect.

--
Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice.
– Will Durant

Re: Best product to replace mouldy shower sealant

<l4ltqrFt1r5U4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126153&group=uk.d-i-y#126153

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 12:40:59 +0000
 by: alan_m - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 12:40 UTC

On 04/03/2024 10:18, John Smith wrote:
> Got bad black mould on bottom white sealant in shower cubicle - is there
> any difference between the anti-mould sealants and if so which is better.
>
> Also I've seen that a tape can also be used which looks a lot easier to
> do. Any good?
>
> Pointers to a good video on applying sealant would be good. Including
> tools and removing old.
>
> Thanks

My experience with any of the tape products is that they are only as
good as the glue or double sided tape. It's the glue that fails over
time allowing water behind the tape which in turn destroys more of the
glue holding te tape on. Furthermore if a tiled surface the grout lines
are probably recessed from the tile surface. The tape will not mould
into a 1/8 inch recess and so on every vertical grout line there is the
potential to let in water behind the tape.

With sealant it's probably better to get a 45 degree profile on it
rather than a concave profile as you may get with smoothing off with
your finger.

Invest in some profiling tools
Random example
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265155448660

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DI4hfHM_Hg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vjTxTFL-k0

Fugi, Fugiboy etc. tend to be the brand name for these sets at £20 but
the equivalent can be had for a fiver. Mine cost under a fiver from Lidl
when they once had them in stock.

Re: Best product to replace mouldy shower sealant

<l4lu7oFt1r5U5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126155&group=uk.d-i-y#126155

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 12:47:52 +0000
 by: alan_m - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 12:47 UTC

> On 04/03/2024 10:18, John Smith wrote:
>> Got bad black mould on bottom white sealant in shower cubicle - is
>> there any difference between the anti-mould sealants and if so which
>> is better.
>>
>> Also I've seen that a tape can also be used which looks a lot easier
>> to do. Any good?
>>
>> Pointers to a good video on applying sealant would be good. Including
>> tools and removing old.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> Just wipe it down with bleach occasionally. And use a daily shower spray.

Bleach works but in my experience only if you catch it early enough.
Last year I tried to treat some black mould that hadn't been treated for
maybe 10 years. A quick wipe down with bleach didn't do much and leaving
the joint wet with bleach* for 24 hours only got rid of around 75%.

*rolled up paper towel was pressed on top of the joint and then the
paper towel soaked in bleach and not left to dry out.

Re: Best product to replace mouldy shower sealant

<us4jp7$361lj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126173&group=uk.d-i-y#126173

From: see.my.signature@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 13:53:43 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 13:53 UTC

On 04/03/2024 10:18, John Smith wrote:

> Got bad black mould on bottom white sealant in shower cubicle - is there
> any difference between the anti-mould sealants and if so which is better.

It was claimed that the Modified Silane sealants were supposed to
perform better in this respect, but my own results have been mixed. Yes
they do stick better, and can be over painted, but the are slightly
harder to work, and can still go mouldy in particularly wet environments.

So basically pick a decent brand name sanitary silicone and hope for the
best!

> Also I've seen that a tape can also be used which looks a lot easier to
> do. Any good?

Probably not as good as silicone - chances are water will get past it at
the grout lines.

> Pointers to a good video on applying sealant would be good.

Some in the links here:

https://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Silicone#Application

> Including
> tools and removing old.