Don't worry if you're a kleptomaniac; you can always take something for it.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: TV LED puzzler

SubjectAuthor
* TV LED puzzlerJim the Geordie
+- Re: TV LED puzzlerDavey
+- Re: TV LED puzzlerClive Arthur
+* Re: TV LED puzzlerN_Cook
|`* Re: TV LED puzzleralan_m
| `* Re: TV LED puzzlerJim the Geordie
|  `- Re: TV LED puzzlerDavey
`- Re: TV LED puzzlerBrian

1
TV LED puzzler

<MPG.404fb185b949c2459896f7@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126123&group=uk.d-i-y#126123

From: jim@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim the Geordie)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: TV LED puzzler
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 10:23:43 -0000
 by: Jim the Geordie - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 10:23 UTC

Panasonic TV red/green LED fine at switch-on
Any attempt to change volume/channel/switch off/on makes the LED start
flickering which I'm unable to stop.
However if I put my hand anywhere near the 'bulb', the flickering stops,
until I take my hand away.
Otherwise the TV works fine.
Piece of black tape ? :)

--
Jim the Geordie

Re: TV LED puzzler

<us492a$33o7c$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126136&group=uk.d-i-y#126136

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: TV LED puzzler
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 10:50:49 +0000
 by: Davey - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 10:50 UTC

On Mon, 4 Mar 2024 10:23:43 -0000
Jim the Geordie <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:

> Panasonic TV red/green LED fine at switch-on
> Any attempt to change volume/channel/switch off/on makes the LED
> start flickering which I'm unable to stop.
> However if I put my hand anywhere near the 'bulb', the flickering
> stops, until I take my hand away.
> Otherwise the TV works fine.
> Piece of black tape ? :)

Maybe the programme 'Ghosts' has found a new home?

--
Davey.

Re: TV LED puzzler

<us49pl$33t70$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126137&group=uk.d-i-y#126137

From: clive@nowaytoday.co.uk (Clive Arthur)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 11:03:15 +0000
 by: Clive Arthur - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 11:03 UTC

On 04/03/2024 10:23, Jim the Geordie wrote:

> Panasonic TV red/green LED fine at switch-on
> Any attempt to change volume/channel/switch off/on makes the LED start
> flickering which I'm unable to stop.
> However if I put my hand anywhere near the 'bulb', the flickering stops,
> until I take my hand away.
> Otherwise the TV works fine.
> Piece of black tape ? :)

Long shot, but it's not a Neon type lamp? When they get old they can
become light-sensitive. (Or more light sensitive.)

--
Cheers
Clive

Re: TV LED puzzler

<us4flk$355h0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126154&group=uk.d-i-y#126154

From: diverse@tcp.co.uk (N_Cook)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2024 12:43:34 +0000
 by: N_Cook - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 12:43 UTC

On 04/03/2024 10:23, Jim the Geordie wrote:

> Panasonic TV red/green LED fine at switch-on
> Any attempt to change volume/channel/switch off/on makes the LED start
> flickering which I'm unable to stop.
> However if I put my hand anywhere near the 'bulb', the flickering stops,
> until I take my hand away.
> Otherwise the TV works fine.
> Piece of black tape ? :)

A remote control for something else lost down a sofa or somewhere with a
cushion pushing a button?
Then your hand reflects enough of the beam to the remote sensor of the
TV which is the wrong coding to actively do anything?

--
Global sea level rise to 2100 from curve-fitted existing altimetry data
<http://diverse.4mg.com/slr.htm>

Re: TV LED puzzler

<l4m101Ft1r6U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126170&group=uk.d-i-y#126170

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 13:34:57 +0000
 by: alan_m - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 13:34 UTC

On 04/03/2024 12:43, N_Cook wrote:
> On 04/03/2024 10:23, Jim the Geordie wrote:
>>
>> Panasonic TV red/green LED fine at switch-on
>> Any attempt to change volume/channel/switch off/on makes the LED start
>> flickering which I'm unable to stop.
>> However if I put my hand anywhere near the 'bulb', the flickering stops,
>> until I take my hand away.
>> Otherwise the TV works fine.
>> Piece of black tape ? :)
>>

> A remote control for something else lost down a sofa or somewhere with a
> cushion pushing a button?
> Then your hand reflects enough of the beam to the remote sensor of the
> TV which is the wrong coding to actively do anything?

Batteries failing in the remote control and pressing one button causes
the remote to send multiple commands, or maybe just rubbish.

Possibly easily diagnosed by just covering the IR transmitter on the
remote when the flashing occurs.

Re: TV LED puzzler

<MPG.405013441fc2f4029896f8@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126196&group=uk.d-i-y#126196

From: jim@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim the Geordie)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 17:20:37 -0000
 by: Jim the Geordie - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 17:20 UTC

In article <l4m101Ft1r6U2@mid.individual.net>, junk@admac.myzen.co.uk
says...

> On 04/03/2024 12:43, N_Cook wrote:
> > On 04/03/2024 10:23, Jim the Geordie wrote:
> >>
> >> Panasonic TV red/green LED fine at switch-on
> >> Any attempt to change volume/channel/switch off/on makes the LED start
> >> flickering which I'm unable to stop.
> >> However if I put my hand anywhere near the 'bulb', the flickering stops,
> >> until I take my hand away.
> >> Otherwise the TV works fine.
> >> Piece of black tape ? :)
> >>

> > A remote control for something else lost down a sofa or somewhere with a
> > cushion pushing a button?
> > Then your hand reflects enough of the beam to the remote sensor of the
> > TV which is the wrong coding to actively do anything?
> >

> Batteries failing in the remote control and pressing one button causes
> the remote to send multiple commands, or maybe just rubbish.
>
> Possibly easily diagnosed by just covering the IR transmitter on the
> remote when the flashing occurs.

You all make sense except Davey (I hope).
Left it flickering on standby for a couple of hours and it seems to have
'healed itself'.
Thanks anyway.

--
Jim the Geordie

Re: TV LED puzzler

<us50b0$38i9g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126202&group=uk.d-i-y#126202

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 17:27:58 +0000
 by: Davey - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 17:27 UTC

On Mon, 4 Mar 2024 17:20:37 -0000
Jim the Geordie <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <l4m101Ft1r6U2@mid.individual.net>, junk@admac.myzen.co.uk
> says...

> > > A remote control for something else lost down a sofa or somewhere
> > > with a cushion pushing a button?
> > > Then your hand reflects enough of the beam to the remote sensor
> > > of the TV which is the wrong coding to actively do anything?
> > >

> > Batteries failing in the remote control and pressing one button
> > causes the remote to send multiple commands, or maybe just rubbish.
> >
> > Possibly easily diagnosed by just covering the IR transmitter on
> > the remote when the flashing occurs.
>
> You all make sense except Davey (I hope).
> Left it flickering on standby for a couple of hours and it seems to
> have 'healed itself'.
> Thanks anyway.

That means that the Ghosts have moved on........... ?

Good luck!

--
Davey.

Re: TV LED puzzler

<us54ms$39s8e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126210&group=uk.d-i-y#126210

From: noinv@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 18:42:36 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:r6GN216Nyx2JqqBvuDkEJwhcfCs=
 by: Brian - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 18:42 UTC

Jim the Geordie <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:

> Panasonic TV red/green LED fine at switch-on
> Any attempt to change volume/channel/switch off/on makes the LED start
> flickering which I'm unable to stop.
> However if I put my hand anywhere near the 'bulb', the flickering stops,
> until I take my hand away.
> Otherwise the TV works fine.
> Piece of black tape ? :)

If I have understood your post correctly, moisture or other contamination
in the remote - under the rubber keypad.

Usually, you can remove the batteries, sometimes there is a screw or two,
then the case can be unclipped.

The PCB will either come free, be clipped in, or held with screws if
needed, to access the membrane.

Carefully clean the key grid on the PCB with a lint free cloth soaked in
alcohol. Ditto the rubber keys - the pads which make the contacts.

Check everything is clean and dry then reassemble.

The above helps if a remote key sticks or doesn’t work.