May you have many handsome and obedient sons.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Tyre replacement

SubjectAuthor
* Tyre replacementChris J Dixon
+* Re: Tyre replacementThe Natural Philosopher
|+* Re: Tyre replacementJim the Geordie
||`* Re: Tyre replacementRod Speed
|| +- Re: Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!Peeler
|| `* Re: Tyre replacementalan_m
||  +- Re: anal_m, the Troll-feeding Senile Asshole!Peeler
||  `- Re: Tyre replacementSteveW
|`* Re: Tyre replacementTheo
| `* Re: Tyre replacementThe Natural Philosopher
|  `- Re: Tyre replacementSteveW
+- Re: Tyre replacementalan_m
+* Re: Tyre replacementMichael Chare
|+* Re: Tyre replacementSam Plusnet
||`* Re: Tyre replacementThe Natural Philosopher
|| `* Re: Tyre replacementSteveW
||  +- Re: Tyre replacementThe Natural Philosopher
||  +* Re: Tyre replacementAndrew
||  |`- Re: Tyre replacementThe Natural Philosopher
||  `- Re: Tyre replacementMark
|`* Re: Tyre replacementChris J Dixon
| +- Re: Tyre replacementSteveW
| `* Re: Tyre replacementSam Plusnet
|  `- Re: Tyre replacementChris J Dixon
`- Re: Tyre replacementMichael Chare

1
Tyre replacement

<2luluitcqkffuana1crmi2tog5img6t6qn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126595&group=uk.d-i-y#126595

From: chris@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Tyre replacement
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2024 12:02:14 +0000
 by: Chris J Dixon - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 12:02 UTC

Nowadays, for several reasons, my Mondeo annual mileage is low,
mostly occasional motorway trips, some with a caravan in tow.

The tyres, Goodyear ContiSportContact 235/50 R17 96 W Date code:
1215, still have plenty of tread, but are approaching 8 years
old.

They have just passed an MOT, and I can see no visible signs of
cracking, but their age is undeniable.

I am thinking that I need to bite the bullet and get a complete
new set.

What would others do?

Where is the sweet point between cheap and nasty and
extravagantly expensive for everyday use?

Any particular suppliers that can be recommended?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
chris@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Re: Tyre replacement

<usevbl$1m4i9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126597&group=uk.d-i-y#126597

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Tyre replacement
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 12:12:37 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 12:12 UTC

On 08/03/2024 12:02, Chris J Dixon wrote:
> Nowadays, for several reasons, my Mondeo annual mileage is low,
> mostly occasional motorway trips, some with a caravan in tow.
>
> The tyres, Goodyear ContiSportContact 235/50 R17 96 W Date code:
> 1215, still have plenty of tread, but are approaching 8 years
> old.
>
> They have just passed an MOT, and I can see no visible signs of
> cracking, but their age is undeniable.
>
> I am thinking that I need to bite the bullet and get a complete
> new set.

Save your pennies up until you need to spend is my motto.

If the tyres are out of the sun they should last a long time

> What would others do?

Wait and see.

> Where is the sweet point between cheap and nasty and
> extravagantly expensive for everyday use?

What I have found is that some more expensive tyres use a tad less duel.
Over 10,000 miles that worth it

> Any particular suppliers that can be recommended?

They are all cunts, it's the make that counts.

And most can get in any tyre you decide on.

I think the online selectors generally tell you about things like noise
and 'eco' specifications

--
I would rather have questions that cannot be answered...
....than to have answers that cannot be questioned

Richard Feynman

Re: Tyre replacement

<l50dvqFjfprU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126598&group=uk.d-i-y#126598

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 12:18:01 +0000
 by: alan_m - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 12:18 UTC

On 08/03/2024 12:02, Chris J Dixon wrote:
> Nowadays, for several reasons, my Mondeo annual mileage is low,
> mostly occasional motorway trips, some with a caravan in tow.
>
> The tyres, Goodyear ContiSportContact 235/50 R17 96 W Date code:
> 1215, still have plenty of tread, but are approaching 8 years
> old.
>
> They have just passed an MOT, and I can see no visible signs of
> cracking, but their age is undeniable.
>
> I am thinking that I need to bite the bullet and get a complete
> new set.
>
> What would others do?
>
> Where is the sweet point between cheap and nasty and
> extravagantly expensive for everyday use?
>
> Any particular suppliers that can be recommended?

While sometimes the big national chains can be competitive on the price
for tyres just avoid taking up their offers for the free safety check,
or a check of tracking etc. This is how they up-sell. The free check
will find something that needs changing or adjusting - for an additional
cost.

I tend to use a local back street tyre shop where I've always had good
service.

Re: Tyre replacement

<MPG.40551f0a2323a729896f9@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126602&group=uk.d-i-y#126602

From: jim@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim the Geordie)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 13:12:18 -0000
 by: Jim the Geordie - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 13:12 UTC

In article <usevbl$1m4i9$1@dont-email.me>, tnp@invalid.invalid says...

> On 08/03/2024 12:02, Chris J Dixon wrote:
> > Nowadays, for several reasons, my Mondeo annual mileage is low,
> > mostly occasional motorway trips, some with a caravan in tow.
> >
> > The tyres, Goodyear ContiSportContact 235/50 R17 96 W Date code:
> > 1215, still have plenty of tread, but are approaching 8 years
> > old.
> >
> > They have just passed an MOT, and I can see no visible signs of
> > cracking, but their age is undeniable.
> >
> > I am thinking that I need to bite the bullet and get a complete
> > new set.
> >
> Save your pennies up until you need to spend is my motto.
>
> If the tyres are out of the sun they should last a long time
>
> > What would others do?
> >
> Wait and see.
>
> > Where is the sweet point between cheap and nasty and
> > extravagantly expensive for everyday use?
> >
> What I have found is that some more expensive tyres use a tad less duel.
> Over 10,000 miles that worth it
>
> > Any particular suppliers that can be recommended?
> >
> They are all cunts, it's the make that counts.
>
> And most can get in any tyre you decide on.
>
> I think the online selectors generally tell you about things like noise
> and 'eco' specifications
>
> > Chris

Mentioning tyre noise: I was a little concerned that I might not hear
electric cars approaching, but in my experience they sound exactly the
same as petrol/diesel because of tyre noise. So that's fine. Still won't
buy one until I have to, but since I'm 83, that might be never. :)

--
Jim the Geordie

Re: Tyre replacement

<usf55c$1nh8v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126605&group=uk.d-i-y#126605

From: mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorg.uk (Michael Chare)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 13:51:39 +0000
 by: Michael Chare - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 13:51 UTC

On 08/03/2024 12:02, Chris J Dixon wrote:
> Nowadays, for several reasons, my Mondeo annual mileage is low,
> mostly occasional motorway trips, some with a caravan in tow.
>
> The tyres, Goodyear ContiSportContact 235/50 R17 96 W Date code:
> 1215, still have plenty of tread, but are approaching 8 years
> old.
>
> They have just passed an MOT, and I can see no visible signs of
> cracking, but their age is undeniable.
>
> I am thinking that I need to bite the bullet and get a complete
> new set.
>
> What would others do?
>
> Where is the sweet point between cheap and nasty and
> extravagantly expensive for everyday use?
>
> Any particular suppliers that can be recommended?
>
> Chris

They are a reputable brand, and they have past the MOT so I would keep
using them.

What about your caravan?
--
Michael Chare

Re: Tyre replacement

<usf55j$1nh8v$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126606&group=uk.d-i-y#126606

From: mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorg.uk (Michael Chare)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 13:51:46 +0000

--
Michael Chare

Re: Tyre replacement

<bsD*6kTEz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126631&group=uk.d-i-y#126631

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 08 Mar 2024 17:29:13 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 17:29 UTC

The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> I think the online selectors generally tell you about things like noise
> and 'eco' specifications

Noise/wet grip/fuel economy.

I'm sure the standard tests aren't perfect, but I would go by those over the
brand name. Some of the budget tyres can score better than the name brands.

Theo

Re: Tyre replacement

<usfiep$1r05j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126633&group=uk.d-i-y#126633

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 17:38:33 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 17:38 UTC

On 08/03/2024 17:29, Theo wrote:
> The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> I think the online selectors generally tell you about things like noise
>> and 'eco' specifications
>
> Noise/wet grip/fuel economy.
>
> I'm sure the standard tests aren't perfect, but I would go by those over the
> brand name. Some of the budget tyres can score better than the name brands.

It is all a compromise.
You could use a soft compound and trade longevity for grip, low noise
and fuel economy.

> Theo

In practice, there is.
-- Yogi Berra

Re: Tyre replacement

<op.2kbsoplhbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126634&group=uk.d-i-y#126634

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2024 04:39:51 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 17:39 UTC

On Sat, 09 Mar 2024 00:12:18 +1100, Jim the Geordie <jim@jimxscott.co.uk>
wrote:

> In article <usevbl$1m4i9$1@dont-email.me>, tnp@invalid.invalid says...
>>
>> On 08/03/2024 12:02, Chris J Dixon wrote:
>> > Nowadays, for several reasons, my Mondeo annual mileage is low,
>> > mostly occasional motorway trips, some with a caravan in tow.
>> >
>> > The tyres, Goodyear ContiSportContact 235/50 R17 96 W Date code:
>> > 1215, still have plenty of tread, but are approaching 8 years
>> > old.
>> >
>> > They have just passed an MOT, and I can see no visible signs of
>> > cracking, but their age is undeniable.
>> >
>> > I am thinking that I need to bite the bullet and get a complete
>> > new set.
>> >
>> Save your pennies up until you need to spend is my motto.
>>
>> If the tyres are out of the sun they should last a long time
>>
>> > What would others do?
>> >
>> Wait and see.
>>
>> > Where is the sweet point between cheap and nasty and
>> > extravagantly expensive for everyday use?
>> >
>> What I have found is that some more expensive tyres use a tad less duel.
>> Over 10,000 miles that worth it
>>
>> > Any particular suppliers that can be recommended?
>> >
>> They are all cunts, it's the make that counts.
>>
>> And most can get in any tyre you decide on.
>>
>> I think the online selectors generally tell you about things like noise
>> and 'eco' specifications

> Mentioning tyre noise: I was a little concerned that I might not hear
> electric cars approaching, but in my experience they sound exactly the
> same as petrol/diesel because of tyre noise.

I have only ever been passed by one when standing just off the
road and it sounded nothing like a normal car. Much quieter.

> So that's fine. Still won't buy one until I haveto, but since I'm 83,
> that might be never. :)

I won't ever buy one, essentially because they
are too much hassle when on a decent trip.

Re: Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

<aaIGN.360572$q3F7.131886@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126635&group=uk.d-i-y#126635

From: trolltrap@valid.invalid (Peeler)
Subject: Re: Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 18:46:41 +0100
 by: Peeler - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 17:46 UTC

On Sat, 09 Mar 2024 04:39:51 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Re: Tyre replacement

<l511a3Fmcm0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126636&group=uk.d-i-y#126636

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 17:47:47 +0000
 by: alan_m - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 17:47 UTC

On 08/03/2024 17:39, Rod Speed wrote:

> I have only ever been passed by one when standing just off the
> road and it sounded nothing like a normal car. Much quieter.

I took a taxi a couple of weeks ago, a Toyota Prius operating in EV
mode. I thought the road noise to be rather loud, and I wasn't that
impressed with the ride comfort.

Re: anal_m, the Troll-feeding Senile Asshole!

<vlJGN.167357$taff.145553@fx41.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126638&group=uk.d-i-y#126638

From: trolltrap@valid.invalid (Peeler)
Subject: Re: anal_m, the Troll-feeding Senile Asshole!
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 20:07:03 +0100
 by: Peeler - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 19:07 UTC

On Fri, 8 Mar 2024 17:47:47 +0000, anal_m, the notorious troll-feeding
senile retard, blathered again:

> I took a taxi a couple of weeks ago, a Toyota Prius operating in EV
> mode. I thought the road noise to be rather loud, and I wasn't that
> impressed with the ride comfort.

What's it with you and your idiotic addiction to sucking troll cock on every
occasion, anal_m?

Re: Tyre replacement

<lnNGN.167362$taff.85782@fx41.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126643&group=uk.d-i-y#126643

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 23:42:10 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 23:42 UTC

On 08-Mar-24 13:51, Michael Chare wrote:
> On 08/03/2024 12:02, Chris J Dixon wrote:
>> Nowadays, for several reasons, my Mondeo annual mileage is low,
>> mostly occasional motorway trips, some with a caravan in tow.
>>
>> The tyres, Goodyear ContiSportContact 235/50 R17 96 W  Date code:
>> 1215, still have plenty of tread, but are approaching 8 years
>> old.
>>
>> They have just passed an MOT, and I can see no visible signs of
>> cracking, but their age is undeniable.
>>
>> I am thinking that I need to bite the bullet and get a complete
>> new set.
>>
>> What would others do?
>>
>> Where is the sweet point between cheap and nasty and
>> extravagantly expensive for everyday use?
>>
>> Any particular suppliers that can be recommended?
>>
>> Chris
>
> They are a reputable brand, and they have past the MOT so I would keep
> using them.
>
> What about your caravan?

People recommend tyre replacement on caravans after 5 years.

In the MOT test for cars[1], there is no check on tyre age (only tread
and other aspects of condition). Given the range of things which are
covered in the MOT, this omission is telling.

[1] Commercial use vehicles are a different kettle of fish.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Tyre replacement

<ush73l$27tk2$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126645&group=uk.d-i-y#126645

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 08:37:09 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 08:37 UTC

On 08/03/2024 23:42, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> People recommend tyre replacement on caravans after 5 years.
>
> In the MOT test for cars[1], there is no check on tyre age (only tread
> and other aspects of condition).   Given the range of things which are
> covered in the MOT, this omission is telling.

That is because age alone is not a reliable guide of safety. I had my
camper failed with loads of tread because the tyres were cracking
everywhere.

Not because they were 'old'

The telling part is that old tyres *in good condition* are in fact just fine

--
“Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.”

H.L. Mencken, A Mencken Chrestomathy

Re: Tyre replacement

<otdoui914pvqdp3o0qe8n5lf6ogj609bvh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126648&group=uk.d-i-y#126648

From: chris@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2024 10:22:39 +0000
 by: Chris J Dixon - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 10:22 UTC

Michael Chare wrote:

>On 08/03/2024 12:02, Chris J Dixon wrote:
>> Nowadays, for several reasons, my Mondeo annual mileage is low,
>> mostly occasional motorway trips, some with a caravan in tow.

>What about your caravan?

The guidelines say 7 years, and I have usually observed that. The
mileages are generally low, and it always seems a shame to scrap
the spares which have never even touched tarmac.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
chris@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Re: Tyre replacement

<ushfvd$29jvd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126653&group=uk.d-i-y#126653

From: steve@walker-family.me.uk (SteveW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 11:08:29 +0000
 by: SteveW - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 11:08 UTC

> On 08/03/2024 17:29, Theo wrote:
>> The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>> I think the online selectors generally tell you about things like noise
>>> and 'eco' specifications
>>
>> Noise/wet grip/fuel economy.
>>
>> I'm sure the standard tests aren't perfect, but I would go by those
>> over the
>> brand name.  Some of the budget tyres can score better than the name
>> brands.
>>
> It is all a compromise.
> You could use a soft compound and trade longevity for grip, low noise
> and fuel economy.

Yes. For my kit car, that does very limited mileage, I go for tyres with
good wet grip and good dry grip (as this is not quoted, very poor
economy and wear are often proxies for this) and do further research
from there.

Re: Tyre replacement

<ushg92$29jvd$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126654&group=uk.d-i-y#126654

From: steve@walker-family.me.uk (SteveW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 11:13:38 +0000
 by: SteveW - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 11:13 UTC

On 08/03/2024 17:47, alan_m wrote:
> On 08/03/2024 17:39, Rod Speed wrote:
>

>> I have only ever been passed by one when standing just off the
>> road and it sounded nothing like a normal car. Much quieter.
>
> I took a taxi a couple of weeks ago, a Toyota Prius operating in EV
> mode.  I thought the road noise to be rather loud, and I wasn't that
> impressed with the ride comfort.

I've never been in a Prius, so I don't know how they compare, but for
most cars, above 20mph or so, tyre and wind noise dominate - even for
petrol and modern diesels. Some modern petrol and diesel cars are so
quiet at slow speed that, in a car park, they're as almost as sneaky as
an EV.

Re: Tyre replacement

<ushgf5$29jvd$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126655&group=uk.d-i-y#126655

From: steve@walker-family.me.uk (SteveW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 11:16:53 +0000
 by: SteveW - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 11:16 UTC

> On 08/03/2024 23:42, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>> People recommend tyre replacement on caravans after 5 years.
>>
>> In the MOT test for cars[1], there is no check on tyre age (only tread
>> and other aspects of condition).   Given the range of things which are
>> covered in the MOT, this omission is telling.
>>
> That is because age alone is not a reliable guide of safety. I had my
> camper failed with loads of tread because the tyres were cracking
> everywhere.
>
> Not because they were 'old'
>
> The telling part is that old tyres *in good condition* are in fact just
> fine

My own experience has been that long exposure to sunlight and being left
deflated causes them to quickly crack and need replacement. Out of the
sunlight and kept inflated, they last for many years.

Re: Tyre replacement

<ushgiu$29jvd$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126657&group=uk.d-i-y#126657

From: steve@walker-family.me.uk (SteveW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 11:18:54 +0000
 by: SteveW - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 11:18 UTC

On 09/03/2024 10:22, Chris J Dixon wrote:
> Michael Chare wrote:
>
>> On 08/03/2024 12:02, Chris J Dixon wrote:
>>> Nowadays, for several reasons, my Mondeo annual mileage is low,
>>> mostly occasional motorway trips, some with a caravan in tow.
>
>> What about your caravan?
>
> The guidelines say 7 years, and I have usually observed that. The
> mileages are generally low, and it always seems a shame to scrap
> the spares which have never even touched tarmac.

I'd not worry about the age, if they were covered from sunlight and kept
inflated, when stored.

Re: Tyre replacement

<ushnk3$2b358$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126661&group=uk.d-i-y#126661

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 13:18:59 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 13:18 UTC

On 09/03/2024 11:16, SteveW wrote:
> On 09/03/2024 08:37, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>> On 08/03/2024 23:42, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>>> People recommend tyre replacement on caravans after 5 years.
>>>
>>> In the MOT test for cars[1], there is no check on tyre age (only
>>> tread and other aspects of condition).   Given the range of things
>>> which are covered in the MOT, this omission is telling.
>>>
>> That is because age alone is not a reliable guide of safety. I had my
>> camper failed with loads of tread because the tyres were cracking
>> everywhere.
>>
>> Not because they were 'old'
>>
>> The telling part is that old tyres *in good condition* are in fact
>> just fine
>
> My own experience has been that long exposure to sunlight and being left
> deflated causes them to quickly crack and need replacement. Out of the
> sunlight and kept inflated, they last for many years.

My experience mirrors yours

I've got mostly the same rear tyres on my lawn tractor as it came with
in 2002
(the fronts get all the thorn punctures) and they haven't cracked

--
"Nature does not give up the winter because people dislike the cold."

― Confucius

Re: Tyre replacement

<usi26h$2da8r$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126666&group=uk.d-i-y#126666

From: Andrew97d@btinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 16:19:29 +0000
 by: Andrew - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 16:19 UTC

On 09/03/2024 11:16, SteveW wrote:
> On 09/03/2024 08:37, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>> On 08/03/2024 23:42, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>>> People recommend tyre replacement on caravans after 5 years.
>>>
>>> In the MOT test for cars[1], there is no check on tyre age (only
>>> tread and other aspects of condition).   Given the range of things
>>> which are covered in the MOT, this omission is telling.
>>>
>> That is because age alone is not a reliable guide of safety. I had my
>> camper failed with loads of tread because the tyres were cracking
>> everywhere.
>>
>> Not because they were 'old'
>>
>> The telling part is that old tyres *in good condition* are in fact
>> just fine
>
> My own experience has been that long exposure to sunlight and being left
> deflated causes them to quickly crack and need replacement. Out of the
> sunlight and kept inflated, they last for many years.

They go hard with age and lack of use.

Re: Tyre replacement

<usigka$2gitn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126674&group=uk.d-i-y#126674

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 20:25:46 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 20:25 UTC

On 09/03/2024 16:19, Andrew wrote:
> On 09/03/2024 11:16, SteveW wrote:

>>> That is because age alone is not a reliable guide of safety. I had my
>>> camper failed with loads of tread because the tyres were cracking
>>> everywhere.
>>>
>>> Not because they were 'old'
>>>
>>> The telling part is that old tyres *in good condition* are in fact
>>> just fine
>>
>> My own experience has been that long exposure to sunlight and being
>> left deflated causes them to quickly crack and need replacement. Out
>> of the sunlight and kept inflated, they last for many years.
>>

> They go hard with age and lack of use.

Not since the 1920s, not out of the sunlight they dont.

--
"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight
and understanding".

Marshall McLuhan

Re: Tyre replacement

<uslhar$37opc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126714&group=uk.d-i-y#126714

From: mark@127.0.0.1 (Mark)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 23:56:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 23:56 UTC

SteveW wrote:

> On 09/03/2024 08:37, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>> On 08/03/2024 23:42, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>>> People recommend tyre replacement on caravans after 5 years.
>>>
>>> In the MOT test for cars[1], there is no check on tyre age (only tread
>>> and other aspects of condition).   Given the range of things which are
>>> covered in the MOT, this omission is telling.
>>>
>> That is because age alone is not a reliable guide of safety. I had my
>> camper failed with loads of tread because the tyres were cracking
>> everywhere.
>>
>> Not because they were 'old'
>>
>> The telling part is that old tyres *in good condition* are in fact just
>> fine
>
> My own experience has been that long exposure to sunlight and being left
> deflated causes them to quickly crack and need replacement. Out of the
> sunlight and kept inflated, they last for many years.

ive got a 50 year old rear tyre on a motorbike thats has no cracking at all
it is a bit hard though ;(

--

Re: Tyre replacement

<8k4IN.495082$PuZ9.456980@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126808&group=uk.d-i-y#126808

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 22:04:53 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 22:04 UTC

On 09-Mar-24 10:22, Chris J Dixon wrote:
> Michael Chare wrote:
>
>> On 08/03/2024 12:02, Chris J Dixon wrote:
>>> Nowadays, for several reasons, my Mondeo annual mileage is low,
>>> mostly occasional motorway trips, some with a caravan in tow.
>
>> What about your caravan?
>
> The guidelines say 7 years, and I have usually observed that. The
> mileages are generally low, and it always seems a shame to scrap
> the spares which have never even touched tarmac.

Especially when the replacement dies, after only doing a couple of
hundred miles, and takes out the alloy wheel with it.
(DAMHIK)

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Tyre replacement

<7so2vi52mebpfi46cnhl0kes4so243q5j2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126817&group=uk.d-i-y#126817

From: chris@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 08:28:04 +0000
 by: Chris J Dixon - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 08:28 UTC

Sam Plusnet wrote:

>On 09-Mar-24 10:22, Chris J Dixon wrote:
>> Michael Chare wrote:

>>> What about your caravan?
>>
>> The guidelines say 7 years, and I have usually observed that. The
>> mileages are generally low, and it always seems a shame to scrap
>> the spares which have never even touched tarmac.
>
>Especially when the replacement dies, after only doing a couple of
>hundred miles, and takes out the alloy wheel with it.
>(DAMHIK)

:-(

Chris