I didn't do it! Nobody saw me do it! Can't prove anything! -- Bart Simpson

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)

SubjectAuthor
* Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)Cursitor Doom
+* Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)Tim Streater
|+* Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)Colin Bignell
||`* Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)Tim Streater
|| `* Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)Cursitor Doom
||  +- Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)The Natural Philosopher
||  +* Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)John Rumm
||  |`* Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)Cursitor Doom
||  | +- Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)Chris Green
||  | `* Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)The Natural Philosopher
||  |  `* Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)Tim Lamb
||  |   `* Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)Fredxx
||  |    `- Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)Cursitor Doom
||  `- Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)Tim Lamb
|`- Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)Tim Lamb
+* Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)The Natural Philosopher
|`- Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)Cursitor Doom
`* Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)Tricky Dicky
 `* Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)charles
  +* Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)Rod Speed
  |+- Re: Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!Peeler
  |+* Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)nib
  ||`* Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)Rod Speed
  || `- Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)Peeler
  |`* Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)charles
  | `* Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)Rod Speed
  |  +* Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)Joe
  |  |+* Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)Rod Speed
  |  ||`- Re: Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!Peeler
  |  |+* Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)Tim Streater
  |  ||`* Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)chop
  |  || `- Re: Nym-shifting Trolling Senile PIG from OzPeeler
  |  |`* Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)AnthonyL
  |  | +* Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)Tim Streater
  |  | |+- Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)Mark
  |  | |`- Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)AnthonyL
  |  | `* Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)charles
  |  |  `- Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)The Natural Philosopher
  |  `- Re: Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!Peeler
  `* Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)Tim+
   +* Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)Tim Streater
   |+- Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)Colin Bignell
   |+* Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)ken
   ||`- Re: Nym-shifting Trolling Senile PIG from OzPeeler
   |`- Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)The Natural Philosopher
   `- Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)The Natural Philosopher

Pages:12
Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)

<op.2j6ftharbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126300&group=uk.d-i-y#126300

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2024 07:13:55 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 20:13 UTC

On Wed, 06 Mar 2024 06:05:09 +1100, nib <news@caffnib.co.uk> wrote:

> On 2024-03-05 18:19, Rod Speed wrote:
>> On Wed, 06 Mar 2024 03:45:03 +1100, charles <charles@candehope.me.uk>
>> wrote:

>>> you obviously don't need to catch a train or bus.
>> Makes more sense to use the phone now.

> Ah! You just carry a clock instead of a watch!

I carry the phone anyway, no point in adding a watch.

Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)

<op.2j6fv9klbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126301&group=uk.d-i-y#126301

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2024 07:15:35 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 20:15 UTC

On Wed, 06 Mar 2024 06:30:04 +1100, charles <charles@candehope.me.uk>
wrote:

> In article <op.2j6ai6a6byq249@pvr2.lan>,
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 06 Mar 2024 03:45:03 +1100, charles <charles@candehope.me.uk>
>> wrote:

>> copies
>> there.

>> ;-)

>> day I
>> >
>> > you obviously don't need to catch a train or bus.
>
>> Makes more sense to use the phone now.
>
> much easier to have a wrist watch

Bullshit. And the phone does FAR more when you
need to catch a train or bus when that allows you
to see if the train or bus or plane is on time or not.

Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)

<us7uko$3uk9e$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126302&group=uk.d-i-y#126302

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 20:17:28 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 20:17 UTC

On 05/03/2024 18:44, Tim+ wrote:
> charles <charles@candehope.me.uk> wrote:
>> In article <us7h02$3rk8q$1@dont-email.me>,
>> Tricky Dicky <tricky.dicky@sky.com> wrote:

>>> Spent my entire working life living by the clock, took it off the day I
>>> retired and have never worn it since.
>>
>> you obviously don't need to catch a train or bus.
>>

> That’s what you have your mobile phone for. ;-)

Indeed. It took me 45 minutes to actually buy a train and car park ticket.
It was simply *not possible* to buy the parking ticket without a mobile
phone.

There was no option for 'key in registration and present cash/credit
card'. Just website or and app. I couldn't download the app or reach
the website because there was no signal on my phone, Nor could I phone
the number given because in the station concourse there was no signal...

And they wonder why the trains lose money....

--
“The fundamental cause of the trouble in the modern world today is that
the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt."

- Bertrand Russell

Re: Nym-shifting Trolling Senile PIG from Oz

<L6LFN.88967$IfLe.73147@fx36.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126303&group=uk.d-i-y#126303

From: trolltrap@valid.invalid (Peeler)
Subject: Re: Nym-shifting Trolling Senile PIG from Oz
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 21:18:47 +0100
 by: Peeler - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 20:18 UTC

On Wed, 06 Mar 2024 07:12:56 +1100, ken, better known as cantankerous

R Souls addressing the senile Australian cretin's "personalized" idiotic
spelling:
"Learn to spell, imbecile. And while you're about it learn to mind your
own business as well."
MID: <eohtkhl27bo4osjluadg7q8u9196njn1r9@4ax.com>

Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)

<us7unk$3uk9e$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126304&group=uk.d-i-y#126304

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 20:19:00 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 20:19 UTC

On 05/03/2024 19:04, Tim Streater wrote:
> On 5 Mar 2024 at 18:44:58 GMT, "Tim+" <timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay> wrote:
>
>> charles <charles@candehope.me.uk> wrote:

>>> you obviously don't need to catch a train or bus.
>>>

>> That’s what you have your mobile phone for. ;-)
>
> That's a minor use for it. Its main purpose is to make phone calls.

No. I never make phone calls on it. Its main use is because people
insist on using it to send you data, texts, and use it to pay for your
car park.

--
“A leader is best When people barely know he exists. Of a good leader,
“We did this ourselves.”

― Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)

<20240305210200.655d68c1@jrenewsid.jretrading.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126307&group=uk.d-i-y#126307

From: joe@jretrading.com (Joe)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 21:02:00 +0000
 by: Joe - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 21:02 UTC

On Wed, 06 Mar 2024 07:15:35 +1100
"Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Mar 2024 06:30:04 +1100, charles <charles@candehope.me.uk>
> wrote:
>

> >> Makes more sense to use the phone now.
> >
> > much easier to have a wrist watch
>
> Bullshit. And the phone does FAR more when you
> need to catch a train or bus when that allows you
> to see if the train or bus or plane is on time or not.

Use the right tool for the job. Multifunction devices are rarely the
best tools for the various jobs they do.

I find looking at the watch on my wrist (which has real hands) quicker
and easier than pulling my phone out of a pocket, opening the flap,
hitting the on button, waiting for the screen to start up, then peering
at the tiny digits in the corner of the screen. Then putting it away
again.

And the battery in my watch will allegedly last ten years, and it
doesn't lose signal on the Underground.

--
Joe

Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)

<4NLFN.396524$Ama9.51909@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126308&group=uk.d-i-y#126308

From: trolltrap@valid.invalid (Peeler)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 22:03:57 +0100
 by: Peeler - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 21:03 UTC

On Wed, 06 Mar 2024 07:13:55 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

David Plowman about senile Rodent Speed's trolling:
"Wodney is doing a lot of morphing these days. Must be even more desperate
than usual for attention."
MID: <59a60da1d9dave@davenoise.co.uk>

Re: Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

<TNLFN.527271$xHn7.199309@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126309&group=uk.d-i-y#126309

From: trolltrap@valid.invalid (Peeler)
Subject: Re: Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 22:04:47 +0100
 by: Peeler - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 21:04 UTC

On Wed, 06 Mar 2024 07:15:35 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Bod addressing senile Rodent Speed:
"Rod, you have a sick twisted mind. I suggest you stop your mindless
and totally irresponsible talk. Your mouth could get you into a lot of
trouble."
MID: <gfbb94Fb4a4U1@mid.individual.net>

Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)

<op.2j6iraogbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126310&group=uk.d-i-y#126310

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2024 08:17:24 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 21:17 UTC

Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote
>> charles <charles@candehope.me.uk> wrote

>> > much easier to have a wrist watch

>> Bullshit. And the phone does FAR more when you
>> need to catch a train or bus when that allows you
>> to see if the train or bus or plane is on time or not.

> Use the right tool for the job.

A decent smartphone is the right tool for the job
with trains, buses and planes, given that you can
check if its running on time, check when the next
one is due if you miss the one you want to use or
it gets cancelled and can use it to pay for the trip
and can use it when travelling.

> Multifunction devices are rarely the
> best tools for the various jobs they do.

But a decent smartphone is the best
tool for travelling by bus, train or plane.

> I find looking at the watch on my wrist (which has real hands) quicker
> and easier than pulling my phone out of a pocket, opening the flap,
> hitting the on button, waiting for the screen to start up, then peering
> at the tiny digits in the corner of the screen. Then putting it away
> again.

When you organise things properly, you just take
the phone from your pocket and it shows you the
time on a vastly bigger screen than a watch,
completely automatically, no flap, no on button
require, no waiting, massive digits that fill the screen.

Or just say 'hey siri, time'

> And the battery in my watch will allegedly last ten years,

Irrelevant when you need the phone anyway.

> and it doesn't lose signal on the Underground.

Dont need signal to get the time.

Re: Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

<IaMFN.358554$q3F7.24323@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126311&group=uk.d-i-y#126311

From: trolltrap@valid.invalid (Peeler)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 22:31:16 +0100
 by: Peeler - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 21:31 UTC

On Wed, 06 Mar 2024 08:17:24 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Pomegranate Bastard addressing the trolling senile cretin from Oz:
"I repeat, you are a complete and utter imbecile."
MID: <mpelth1engag7090piqvqp85pco7nphoal@4ax.com>

Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)

<l4pjsoFi7smU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126313&group=uk.d-i-y#126313

From: tim@streater.me.uk (Tim Streater)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 5 Mar 2024 22:15:52 GMT
 by: Tim Streater - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 22:15 UTC

On 5 Mar 2024 at 21:02:00 GMT, "Joe" <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Mar 2024 07:15:35 +1100
> "Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> much easier to have a wrist watch
>>
>> Bullshit. And the phone does FAR more when you
>> need to catch a train or bus when that allows you
>> to see if the train or bus or plane is on time or not.
>
> Use the right tool for the job. Multifunction devices are rarely the
> best tools for the various jobs they do.
>
> I find looking at the watch on my wrist (which has real hands) quicker
> and easier than pulling my phone out of a pocket, opening the flap,
> hitting the on button, waiting for the screen to start up, then peering
> at the tiny digits in the corner of the screen. Then putting it away
> again.
>
> And the battery in my watch will allegedly last ten years, and it
> doesn't lose signal on the Underground.

Quite. All these folks are followers of the "all eggs in one basket" approach,
and then they are fucked when the basket is nicked or runs out of volts or
there is no signal.

BTW, you forgot the "Enter Passcode" step.

When this smartphone (7 years old now) shuffles off this mortal coil, I shall
answerphone messages. Voice and texts is all I want it to do.

I already know how to read a map.

--
"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend.... if you have one." - GB Shaw to Churchill. "Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second... if there is one." - Winston Churchill, in response.

Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)

<op.2j6mt8hrnuhhzz@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126315&group=uk.d-i-y#126315

From: chop654@gmail.com (chop)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2024 09:45:34 +1100
 by: chop - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 22:45 UTC

On Wed, 06 Mar 2024 09:15:52 +1100, Tim Streater <tim@streater.me.uk>
wrote:

> On 5 Mar 2024 at 21:02:00 GMT, "Joe" <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 06 Mar 2024 07:15:35 +1100
>> "Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Bullshit. And the phone does FAR more when you
>>> need to catch a train or bus when that allows you
>>> to see if the train or bus or plane is on time or not.
>>
>> Use the right tool for the job. Multifunction devices are rarely the
>> best tools for the various jobs they do.
>>
>> I find looking at the watch on my wrist (which has real hands) quicker
>> and easier than pulling my phone out of a pocket, opening the flap,
>> hitting the on button, waiting for the screen to start up, then peering
>> at the tiny digits in the corner of the screen. Then putting it away
>> again.
>>
>> And the battery in my watch will allegedly last ten years, and it
>> doesn't lose signal on the Underground.

> Quite. All these folks are followers of the "all eggs in one basket"
> approach,

We are actually followers of the much better tool for the job approach.

> and then they are fucked when the basket is nicked

Nope, just ask someone else what the time is.

Even you should be able to manage that,
if someone is actually stupid enough to
lend you a seeing eye dog and a white cane.

> or runs out of volts

Nope, plenty of warning when the battery is getting
low so you can turn the phone off so you can turn it
on again if you need it before you can charge it.

> or there is no signal.

Dont need a signal to see the time.

> BTW, you forgot the "Enter Passcode" step.

Nope, no decent smartphone needs
any passcode to show you the time.

> When this smartphone (7 years old now) shufflesoff this mortal coil, I
> shall go back to a clamshell.

More fool you given that you can't pay the fare that way.

> Texts are useful, because they are better than answerphonemessages.
> Voice and texts is all I want it to do.

More fool you when paying for the fare or parking fee.

> I already know how to read a map.

But its much more convenient to have turn by turn
directions when you have never been there befroe.

Re: Nym-shifting Trolling Senile PIG from Oz

<hvWFN.516827$7sbb.194560@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126327&group=uk.d-i-y#126327

From: trolltrap@valid.invalid (Peeler)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 10:15:54 +0100
 by: Peeler - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 09:15 UTC

On Wed, 06 Mar 2024 09:45:34 +1100, chop, better known as cantankerous

williamwright addressing Rodent Speed:
"You are an insecure blathermouth with an inferiority complex."
MID: <j08dicFcuptU1@mid.individual.net>

Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)

<65e85ba4.1513190750@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126349&group=uk.d-i-y#126349

From: nospam@please.invalid (AnthonyL)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2024 12:08:02 GMT
 by: AnthonyL - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 12:08 UTC

On Tue, 5 Mar 2024 21:02:00 +0000, Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 06 Mar 2024 07:15:35 +1100
>"Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > much easier to have a wrist watch
>>
>> Bullshit. And the phone does FAR more when you
>> need to catch a train or bus when that allows you
>> to see if the train or bus or plane is on time or not.
>
>Use the right tool for the job. Multifunction devices are rarely the
>best tools for the various jobs they do.
>
>I find looking at the watch on my wrist (which has real hands) quicker
>and easier than pulling my phone out of a pocket, opening the flap,
>hitting the on button, waiting for the screen to start up, then peering
>at the tiny digits in the corner of the screen. Then putting it away
>again.

You are supposed to be looking at the phone all the time like 90% of
the population do, even if there is traffic to negotiate.

>And the battery in my watch will allegedly last ten years, and it
>doesn't lose signal on the Underground.

Battery? The OP's watch looks as if it winds up with motion. Mine
charges up with daylight and picks up the time signal so it is always
accurate to within 1 second. It doesn't need rebooting, security
updates, contracts or replacing every 3 years because apps will no
longer run on the older OS.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?

Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)

<l4r5t0Fpf8mU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126352&group=uk.d-i-y#126352

From: tim@streater.me.uk (Tim Streater)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 6 Mar 2024 12:29:20 GMT
 by: Tim Streater - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 12:29 UTC

On 6 Mar 2024 at 12:08:02 GMT, "AnthonyL" <AnthonyL> wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Mar 2024 21:02:00 +0000, Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 06 Mar 2024 07:15:35 +1100
>> "Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Bullshit. And the phone does FAR more when you
>>> need to catch a train or bus when that allows you
>>> to see if the train or bus or plane is on time or not.
>>
>> Use the right tool for the job. Multifunction devices are rarely the
>> best tools for the various jobs they do.
>>
>> I find looking at the watch on my wrist (which has real hands) quicker
>> and easier than pulling my phone out of a pocket, opening the flap,
>> hitting the on button, waiting for the screen to start up, then peering
>> at the tiny digits in the corner of the screen. Then putting it away
>> again.
>
> You are supposed to be looking at the phone all the time like 90% of
> the population do, even if there is traffic to negotiate.
>
>> And the battery in my watch will allegedly last ten years, and it
>> doesn't lose signal on the Underground.
>
> Battery? The OP's watch looks as if it winds up with motion. Mine
> charges up with daylight and picks up the time signal so it is always
> accurate to within 1 second. It doesn't need rebooting, security
> updates, contracts or replacing every 3 years because apps will no
> longer run on the older OS.

Make and model, please.

--
"Once you adopt the unix paradigm, the variants cease to be a problem - you bitch, of course, but that's because bitching is fun, unlike M$ OS's, where bitching is required to keep your head from exploding." - S Stremler in afc

Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)

<5b3d5ff19bcharles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126363&group=uk.d-i-y#126363

Date: Wed, 06 Mar 24 13:30:03 UTC
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: charles@candehope.me.uk (charles)
 by: charles - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 13:30 UTC

In article <65e85ba4.1513190750@news.eternal-september.org>,
AnthonyL <nospam@please.invalid> wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Mar 2024 21:02:00 +0000, Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:

> >On Wed, 06 Mar 2024 07:15:35 +1100
> >"Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Bullshit. And the phone does FAR more when you
> >> need to catch a train or bus when that allows you
> >> to see if the train or bus or plane is on time or not.
> >
> >Use the right tool for the job. Multifunction devices are rarely the
> >best tools for the various jobs they do.
> >
> >I find looking at the watch on my wrist (which has real hands) quicker
> >and easier than pulling my phone out of a pocket, opening the flap,
> >hitting the on button, waiting for the screen to start up, then peering
> >at the tiny digits in the corner of the screen. Then putting it away
> >again.
> >

> You are supposed to be looking at the phone all the time like 90% of
> the population do, even if there is traffic to negotiate.

> >And the battery in my watch will allegedly last ten years, and it
> >doesn't lose signal on the Underground.
> >

> Battery? The OP's watch looks as if it winds up with motion. Mine
> charges up with daylight and picks up the time signal so it is always
> accurate to within 1 second. It doesn't need rebooting, security
> updates, contracts or replacing every 3 years because apps will no
> longer run on the older OS.

But, we seem to be getting away from the OP's original point. He spent his
working days clockwatching so no longer did so. I'm sure he didn't mean
using a phone rather than a watch./

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té²

Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)

<us9s43$epe0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126367&group=uk.d-i-y#126367

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 13:46:43 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 13:46 UTC

On 06/03/2024 13:30, charles wrote:
> In article <65e85ba4.1513190750@news.eternal-september.org>,
> AnthonyL <nospam@please.invalid> wrote:
>> On Tue, 5 Mar 2024 21:02:00 +0000, Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:

>>> Use the right tool for the job. Multifunction devices are rarely the
>>> best tools for the various jobs they do.
>>>
>>> I find looking at the watch on my wrist (which has real hands) quicker
>>> and easier than pulling my phone out of a pocket, opening the flap,
>>> hitting the on button, waiting for the screen to start up, then peering
>>> at the tiny digits in the corner of the screen. Then putting it away
>>> again.
>>>

>> You are supposed to be looking at the phone all the time like 90% of
>> the population do, even if there is traffic to negotiate.
>
>>> And the battery in my watch will allegedly last ten years, and it
>>> doesn't lose signal on the Underground.
>>>

>> Battery? The OP's watch looks as if it winds up with motion. Mine
>> charges up with daylight and picks up the time signal so it is always
>> accurate to within 1 second. It doesn't need rebooting, security
>> updates, contracts or replacing every 3 years because apps will no
>> longer run on the older OS.
>
> But, we seem to be getting away from the OP's original point. He spent his
> working days clockwatching so no longer did so. I'm sure he didn't mean
> using a phone rather than a watch./

Indeed. I simply cant be arsed to dash round shaving minutes off. I
arrive for appointments up to an hour early because that means I dont
stress out when there is traffic or some other aspect of
ThisShinyDigitalNewWorld doesn't actually work at all.

--
For in reason, all government without the consent of the governed is the
very definition of slavery.

Jonathan Swift

Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)

<usaull$m1dp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126433&group=uk.d-i-y#126433

From: mark@127.0.0.1 (Mark)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 23:36:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 23:36 UTC

Tim Streater wrote:

> On 6 Mar 2024 at 12:08:02 GMT, "AnthonyL" <AnthonyL> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 5 Mar 2024 21:02:00 +0000, Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:

>>> Use the right tool for the job. Multifunction devices are rarely the
>>> best tools for the various jobs they do.
>>>
>>> I find looking at the watch on my wrist (which has real hands) quicker
>>> and easier than pulling my phone out of a pocket, opening the flap,
>>> hitting the on button, waiting for the screen to start up, then peering
>>> at the tiny digits in the corner of the screen. Then putting it away
>>> again.
>>
>> You are supposed to be looking at the phone all the time like 90% of
>> the population do, even if there is traffic to negotiate.
>>
>>> And the battery in my watch will allegedly last ten years, and it
>>> doesn't lose signal on the Underground.
>>
>> Battery? The OP's watch looks as if it winds up with motion. Mine
>> charges up with daylight and picks up the time signal so it is always
>> accurate to within 1 second. It doesn't need rebooting, security
>> updates, contracts or replacing every 3 years because apps will no
>> longer run on the older OS.
>
> Make and model, please.

probably one of the Casio Wave Ceptor watches

--

Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)

<usav4r$m1nh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126434&group=uk.d-i-y#126434

From: fredxx@spam.invalid (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 23:44:28 +0000
 by: Fredxx - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 23:44 UTC

On 04/03/2024 10:41, Tim Lamb wrote:
> In message <us47ie$33beb$4@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
> <tnp@invalid.invalid> writes
>> On 04/03/2024 09:19, Cursitor Doom wrote:

>>>  Activator? What does that do? It sets fast enough as it is!
>>
>> Well actually no, it doesn't.
>>
>> Not on all surfaces
>>
>> On carbon fibre and balsa wood (and fingers or Jeans ) it is so
>> instant it *smokes * from the heat. On metals it sorta hangs round for
>> ages.
>>
>> I have never figured out why.
>>
>> Maybe damp is an activator
>
> Don't know why but, repairing broken ceramics works best if you wet the
> surfaces prior to applying the glue.

Polymerisation will occur in the presence of moisture.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate#Polymerization

Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)

<7s1iui95n7nom2be635bfhjf1j8qia4l38@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126442&group=uk.d-i-y#126442

From: cd@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2024 00:18:08 +0000
 by: Cursitor Doom - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 00:18 UTC

On Wed, 6 Mar 2024 23:44:28 +0000, Fredxx <fredxx@spam.invalid> wrote:

>On 04/03/2024 10:41, Tim Lamb wrote:
>> In message <us47ie$33beb$4@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
>> <tnp@invalid.invalid> writes

>>> Well actually no, it doesn't.
>>>
>>> Not on all surfaces
>>>
>>> On carbon fibre and balsa wood (and fingers or Jeans ) it is so
>>> instant it *smokes * from the heat. On metals it sorta hangs round for
>>> ages.
>>>
>>> I have never figured out why.
>>>
>>> Maybe damp is an activator
>>
>> Don't know why but, repairing broken ceramics works best if you wet the
>> surfaces prior to applying the glue.
>
>Polymerisation will occur in the presence of moisture.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate#Polymerization

On Superglue instructions it says to moisten porous surfaces with a
little water.

Re: Getting the back off a watch (threaded back type)

<65eb0423.1687402609@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126599&group=uk.d-i-y#126599

From: nospam@please.invalid (AnthonyL)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2024 12:34:43 GMT
 by: AnthonyL - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 12:34 UTC

On 6 Mar 2024 12:29:20 GMT, Tim Streater <tim@streater.me.uk> wrote:

>On 6 Mar 2024 at 12:08:02 GMT, "AnthonyL" <AnthonyL> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 5 Mar 2024 21:02:00 +0000, Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:

>>> Use the right tool for the job. Multifunction devices are rarely the
>>> best tools for the various jobs they do.
>>>
>>> I find looking at the watch on my wrist (which has real hands) quicker
>>> and easier than pulling my phone out of a pocket, opening the flap,
>>> hitting the on button, waiting for the screen to start up, then peering
>>> at the tiny digits in the corner of the screen. Then putting it away
>>> again.
>>
>> You are supposed to be looking at the phone all the time like 90% of
>> the population do, even if there is traffic to negotiate.
>>
>>> And the battery in my watch will allegedly last ten years, and it
>>> doesn't lose signal on the Underground.
>>
>> Battery? The OP's watch looks as if it winds up with motion. Mine
>> charges up with daylight and picks up the time signal so it is always
>> accurate to within 1 second. It doesn't need rebooting, security
>> updates, contracts or replacing every 3 years because apps will no
>> longer run on the older OS.
>
>Make and model, please.

Best I can do for you (no I'm not selling):

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/casio-wave-ceptor-wv-300-atomic-self-454322313

The model no is 3034. It was a birthday present probably in 2007.

Seems as if Casio don't do them any more. I use it also when going
abroad and it has dual time zone so I can just scroll through and set
the second time zone as required.

My everyday watch is Casio AQ-230. Can't recall how long I've had
that. Just have to mess around every Feb 29th whereas the wave ceptor
knows the date/time.