There has been an alarming increase in the number of things you know nothing about.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Humax EPG

SubjectAuthor
* Humax EPGwasbit
+- Re: Humax EPGBrian Gaff
+- Re: Humax EPGBrian
+* Re: Humax EPGalan_m
|`* Re: Humax EPGwasbit
| `* Re: Humax EPGalan_m
|  +* Re: Humax EPGwasbit
|  |`* Re: Humax EPGalan_m
|  | +- Re: Humax EPGwasbit
|  | `* Re: Humax EPGwasbit
|  |  +* Re: Humax EPGalan_m
|  |  |+- Re: Humax EPGwasbit
|  |  |`- Re: Humax EPGwasbit
|  |  `* Re: Humax EPGTim+
|  |   `- Re: Humax EPGwasbit
|  `* Re: Humax EPGwasbit
|   `* Re: Humax EPGChris Hogg
|    `- Re: Humax EPGwasbit
+- Re: Humax EPGwasbit
+* Re: Humax EPGChris Hogg
|+- Re: Humax EPGAndrew
|`* Re: Humax EPGwasbit
| `* Re: Humax EPGChris Hogg
|  `* Re: Humax EPGalan_m
|   `- Re: Humax EPGPaul
+* Re: Humax EPGClive Page
|`- Re: Humax EPGwasbit
+* Re: Humax EPG - update 2wasbit
|+- Re: Humax EPG - update 2Andrew
|`* Re: Humax EPG - update 2wasbit
| `* Re: Humax EPG - update 2The Natural Philosopher
|  +- Re: Humax EPG - update 2alan_m
|  +* Re: Humax EPG - update 2Andy Burns
|  |+* Re: Humax EPG - update 2The Natural Philosopher
|  ||`* Re: Humax EPG - update 2Paul
|  || +* Re: Humax EPG - update 2alan_m
|  || |`- Re: Humax EPG - update 2wasbit
|  || `* Re: Humax EPG - update 2The Natural Philosopher
|  ||  `- Re: Humax EPG - update 2wasbit
|  |`* Re: Humax EPG - update 2wasbit
|  | `* Re: Humax EPG - update 2The Natural Philosopher
|  |  `* Re: Humax EPG - update 2wasbit
|  |   `- Re: Humax EPG - update 2The Natural Philosopher
|  `- Re: Humax EPG - update 2wasbit
`- Re: Humax EPGwasbit

Pages:12
Re: Humax EPG

<12l4rit3qrq9dnkvdjapci5tbd5res13hg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122839&group=uk.d-i-y#122839

From: me@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Humax EPG
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 12:32:41 +0000
 by: Chris Hogg - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 12:32 UTC

On Thu, 25 Jan 2024 10:55:06 +0000, wasbit <wasbit@nowhere.com> wrote:

>Update.
>Have had the box powered on for 35 minutes at 2pm for the last couple of
>days.
>Seems to have helped with populating BBC 1 & 2 but ITV still has blanks,
>channels 4 & 5 are particularly bad as are some of the higher number
>channels.
>These can take up to 2 hours before they populate.
>Sod's law that it always seems to be the channels that I want to record.

I expect this has been mentioned back up the thread, but do you turn
off the Humax completely when you've stopped watching whatever it was,
or just put it into standby? I only put mine into standby, except on
rare occasions.

--
Chris

Re: Humax EPG

<uovv3h$2p5gh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122888&group=uk.d-i-y#122888

From: wasbit@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 09:47:30 +0000
 by: wasbit - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 09:47 UTC

On 25/01/2024 12:32, Chris Hogg wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jan 2024 10:55:06 +0000, wasbit <wasbit@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>> Update.
>> Have had the box powered on for 35 minutes at 2pm for the last couple of
>> days.
>> Seems to have helped with populating BBC 1 & 2 but ITV still has blanks,
>> channels 4 & 5 are particularly bad as are some of the higher number
>> channels.
>> These can take up to 2 hours before they populate.
>> Sod's law that it always seems to be the channels that I want to record.
>
> I expect this has been mentioned back up the thread, but do you turn
> off the Humax completely when you've stopped watching whatever it was,
> or just put it into standby? I only put mine into standby, except on
> rare occasions.

Standby, but I have removed the power overnight on a couple of occasions
which made no difference.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Humax EPG - update 2

<uovvuu$2pbv3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122889&group=uk.d-i-y#122889

From: wasbit@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Humax EPG - update 2
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 10:02:06 +0000
 by: wasbit - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 10:02 UTC

On 16/01/2024 14:13, wasbit wrote:
> Humax FVP 5000T set top recorder is often very slow to populate the EPG.
> Signal is from rooftop aerial not internet.
> Some stations can be populated either fully or partially whilst others
> are empty.
> Have tried turning the channel guide off, waiting a minute, then back on
> which occasionally helps with some channels.
> Often the population can take 20 or 30 minutes & sometimes up to an hour.
> Is this the norm & is there anything that can be done to speed the
> population up?

EPG Further Update 2024.01.25

Humax HDR-1800T - Set top recorder
Blaupunkt 32/138M - TV
Blaupunkt 32-1480 - TV

EPGs all populated fully when started from standby up.

The Humax HDR-1800T had been switched off at the wall for 6 months yet
the EPG populated fully within the minute or so that it took me to get
to the EPG screen.

11am - Humax FVP-5000T EPG populated to past midnight except for
channels 28,50,52,56,61,66,83,92 & & 101-109.
Returning to BBC1 & BBC2 they were blank.

1.55pm - Humax FVP-5000T powered up for it's timed 35 minutes after
which the EPG populated fully.
Returning to the EPG 15 minutes later lots of unpopulated slots.

So it would seem that the problem is that the FVP-5000T can update but
not retain the EPG.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Humax EPG - update 2

<up3g3c$3fngh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122964&group=uk.d-i-y#122964

From: Andrew97d@btinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 17:55:56 +0000
 by: Andrew - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 17:55 UTC

On 26/01/2024 10:02, wasbit wrote:
> On 16/01/2024 14:13, wasbit wrote:
>> Humax FVP 5000T set top recorder is often very slow to populate the EPG.
>> Signal is from rooftop aerial not internet.
>> Some stations can be populated either fully or partially whilst others
>> are empty.
>> Have tried turning the channel guide off, waiting a minute, then back
>> on which occasionally helps with some channels.
>> Often the population can take 20 or 30 minutes & sometimes up to an hour.
>> Is this the norm & is there anything that can be done to speed the
>> population up?
>>

> EPG Further Update 2024.01.25
>
> Humax HDR-1800T - Set top recorder
> Blaupunkt 32/138M - TV
> Blaupunkt 32-1480 - TV
>
> EPGs all populated fully when started from standby up.
>
> The Humax HDR-1800T had been switched off at the wall for 6 months yet
> the EPG populated fully within the minute or so that it took me to get
> to the EPG screen.
>
> 11am - Humax FVP-5000T EPG populated to past midnight except for
> channels 28,50,52,56,61,66,83,92 & & 101-109.
>  Returning to BBC1 & BBC2 they were blank.
>
> 1.55pm - Humax FVP-5000T powered up for it's timed 35 minutes after
> which the EPG populated fully.
>  Returning to the EPG 15 minutes later lots of unpopulated slots.
>
> So it would seem that the problem is that the FVP-5000T can update but
> not retain the EPG.

Thanks for warning. I'll stick with my HD-FOX-T2 until it
fails then avoid 'upgrading' to an FVP-5000.

Not sure about the Aura either though.

Re: Humax EPG - update 2

<upahsm$ul0u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123232&group=uk.d-i-y#123232

From: wasbit@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 10:09:25 +0000
 by: wasbit - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 10:09 UTC

On 26/01/2024 10:02, wasbit wrote:
> On 16/01/2024 14:13, wasbit wrote:
>> Humax FVP 5000T set top recorder is often very slow to populate the EPG.
>> Signal is from rooftop aerial not internet.
>> Some stations can be populated either fully or partially whilst others
>> are empty.
>> Have tried turning the channel guide off, waiting a minute, then back
>> on which occasionally helps with some channels.
>> Often the population can take 20 or 30 minutes & sometimes up to an hour.
>> Is this the norm & is there anything that can be done to speed the
>> population up?
>>

> EPG Further Update 2024.01.25
>
> Humax HDR-1800T - Set top recorder
> Blaupunkt 32/138M - TV
> Blaupunkt 32-1480 - TV
>
> EPGs all populated fully when started from standby up.
>
> The Humax HDR-1800T had been switched off at the wall for 6 months yet
> the EPG populated fully within the minute or so that it took me to get
> to the EPG screen.
>
> 11am - Humax FVP-5000T EPG populated to past midnight except for
> channels 28,50,52,56,61,66,83,92 & & 101-109.
>  Returning to BBC1 & BBC2 they were blank.
>
> 1.55pm - Humax FVP-5000T powered up for it's timed 35 minutes after
> which the EPG populated fully.
>  Returning to the EPG 15 minutes later lots of unpopulated slots.
>
> So it would seem that the problem is that the FVP-5000T can update but
> not retain the EPG.

FYI

EPG data is transmitted continuously and the EPG on the Humax is
continuously being updated as long as the Humax is not in standby.

-
https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/fvp-5000t-epg-losing-programme-information

Don't know whether that's opinion or fact but it would seem to be the
logical answer.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Humax EPG - update 2

<upao75$vden$9@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123241&group=uk.d-i-y#123241

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 11:57:25 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 11:57 UTC

On 30/01/2024 10:09, wasbit wrote:

> FYI
>
> EPG data is transmitted continuously and the EPG on the Humax is
> continuously being updated as long as the Humax is not in standby.
>
>  -
> https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/fvp-5000t-epg-losing-programme-information
>
> Don't know whether that's opinion or fact but it would seem to be the
> logical answer.

Odd factoid. I was fiddling with my TVheadend equipped PI computer and
unbeknownst to me the aerial fell out. So TV didn't work, but I didn't
notice until the following morning. All the TV guides were there, but no
pictures!

My conclusions is that either a load of stuff is also downloaded over
the internet, Or TV guides are for the future as well as 'today'.

But switching the machine off completely will always lose whatever
guides are in RAM,. obviously.

--
"First, find out who are the people you can not criticise. They are your
oppressors."

Re: Humax EPG - update 2

<l1s70qFeajsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123242&group=uk.d-i-y#123242

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 12:05:45 +0000
 by: alan_m - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 12:05 UTC

> On 30/01/2024 10:09, wasbit wrote:
>
>> FYI
>>
>> EPG data is transmitted continuously and the EPG on the Humax is
>> continuously being updated as long as the Humax is not in standby.
>>
>>   -
>> https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/fvp-5000t-epg-losing-programme-information
>>
>> Don't know whether that's opinion or fact but it would seem to be the
>> logical answer.
>>
> Odd factoid. I was fiddling with my TVheadend equipped PI computer and
> unbeknownst to me the aerial fell out. So TV didn't work, but I didn't
> notice until the following morning. All the TV guides were there, but no
> pictures!
>
> My conclusions is that either a load of stuff is also downloaded over
> the internet, Or TV guides are for the future as well as 'today'.

Freeview, Freesat and Sky (Free to Air) are all 7 day EPG, over the air.

Re: Humax EPG - update 2

<l1s7bjFdmmkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123243&group=uk.d-i-y#123243

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 12:11:32 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 12:11 UTC

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

> I was fiddling with my TVheadend equipped PI computer and unbeknownst to
> me the aerial fell out. So TV didn't work, but I didn't notice until the
> following morning. All the TV guides were there, but no pictures!
>
> My conclusions is that either a load of stuff is also downloaded over
> the internet, Or TV guides are for the future as well as 'today'.

The OTA EPG is 7 days

> But switching the machine off completely will always lose whatever
> guides are in RAM,. obviously.

They do get stored in /var/lib/tvheadend/config/epgdb.*

Re: Humax EPG - update 2

<upauf9$10n12$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123246&group=uk.d-i-y#123246

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 13:44:09 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 13:44 UTC

On 30/01/2024 12:11, Andy Burns wrote:
> The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>
>> I was fiddling with my TVheadend equipped PI computer and unbeknownst
>> to me the aerial fell out. So TV didn't work, but I didn't notice
>> until the following morning. All the TV guides were there, but no
>> pictures!'
>>
>> My conclusions is that either a load of stuff is also downloaded over
>> the internet, Or TV guides are for the future as well as 'today'.
>
> The OTA EPG is 7 days
>
>> But switching the machine off completely will always lose whatever
>> guides are in RAM,. obviously.
>
> They do get stored in /var/lib/tvheadend/config/epgdb.*

ah. Do they indeed. That's odd, because if I power the machine down they
seem to vanish...

--
Climate is what you expect but weather is what you get.
Mark Twain

Re: Humax EPG - update 2

<upcp2h$1difc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123327&group=uk.d-i-y#123327

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 01:24:16 -0500
 by: Paul - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 06:24 UTC

On 1/30/2024 8:44 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> On 30/01/2024 12:11, Andy Burns wrote:
>> The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>>
>>> I was fiddling with my TVheadend equipped PI computer and unbeknownst to me the aerial fell out. So TV didn't work, but I didn't notice until the following morning. All the TV guides were there, but no pictures!'
>>>
>>> My conclusions is that either a load of stuff is also downloaded over the internet, Or TV guides are for the future as well as 'today'.
>>
>> The OTA EPG is 7 days
>>
>>> But switching the machine off completely will always lose whatever guides are in RAM,. obviously.
>>
>> They do get stored in /var/lib/tvheadend/config/epgdb.*
>>

> ah. Do they indeed. That's odd, because if I power the machine down they seem to vanish...

There's more than one kind of EPG.

There's some version that tells you enough to know
"what is on next". In other words, a very short event horizon.

As for the other flavor, I've no details how yours works.

TV in the analog days, carried all sorts of information
during retrace or the like. It carried enough information,
that one company actually used it for Internet content
(signal broadcast to the consumers of the content, and
if your network address matched at the moment, you would
eat the content, and your dialup modem would send an ACK
so the other end would know the downloaded item arrived).

But with digital, there's no need for retrace, front porch
or back porch, and so the content then, has to be defined
for each purpose. You could have a high resolution video signal
and no auxiliary information, or you could have a mixture of
video and something else.

One thread I could find, left the impression that maybe
the Humax processor can't actually process the arrival rate
of the data, and that's why on a first pass transmission, it
would get some of the channels, and then on the next pass,
it would fill in the gaps.

What's curious, is Wasbit's symptoms are seen by others,
and the thing also seems to have a very curious notion
of "caching". It's like it is constantly leaking and tossing
stuff away.

I have not seen any signs, that people have access to a "log",
to gather evidence of what it is doing.

One solution apparently, is to reduce the number of channels
it is tracking. The less work it has to do, the more filled
the EPG is.

Paul

Re: Humax EPG - update 2

<l1uakqFpppeU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123331&group=uk.d-i-y#123331

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 07:19:53 +0000
 by: alan_m - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 07:19 UTC

On 31/01/2024 06:24, Paul wrote:
> On 1/30/2024 8:44 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

>>> The OTA EPG is 7 days

>>> They do get stored in /var/lib/tvheadend/config/epgdb.*
>>>

>> ah. Do they indeed. That's odd, because if I power the machine down they seem to vanish...
>>

> There's more than one kind of EPG.
>
> There's some version that tells you enough to know
> "what is on next". In other words, a very short event horizon.
>
> As for the other flavor, I've no details how yours works.
>
> TV in the analog days, carried all sorts of information
> during retrace or the like. It carried enough information,
> that one company actually used it for Internet content
> (signal broadcast to the consumers of the content, and
> if your network address matched at the moment, you would
> eat the content, and your dialup modem would send an ACK
> so the other end would know the downloaded item arrived).
>
> But with digital, there's no need for retrace, front porch
> or back porch, and so the content then, has to be defined
> for each purpose. You could have a high resolution video signal
> and no auxiliary information, or you could have a mixture of
> video and something else.
>
> One thread I could find, left the impression that maybe
> the Humax processor can't actually process the arrival rate
> of the data, and that's why on a first pass transmission, it
> would get some of the channels, and then on the next pass,
> it would fill in the gaps.
>
> What's curious, is Wasbit's symptoms are seen by others,
> and the thing also seems to have a very curious notion
> of "caching". It's like it is constantly leaking and tossing
> stuff away.
>
> I have not seen any signs, that people have access to a "log",
> to gather evidence of what it is doing.
>
> One solution apparently, is to reduce the number of channels
> it is tracking. The less work it has to do, the more filled
> the EPG is.

With many boxes the EPG is held and updated in RAM and only transferred
to disk on a proper shut down. The box has to know that its going to
loose power or the software shut down in order to store the EPG to disk
or usb stick.

This can also create a problem if any time the data becomes corrupted.
The corrupted data is read from disk at power up to RAM and if there
isn't a mechanism to correct the data the corrupted form gets saved back
to disk on shut down. Often there is a user option to clear EPG cache
data in the RAM and maybe also to wipe the same data from disk.

On my box there is the option to select where the EPG is stored: flash
memory, hard disk or USB stick. It is inadvisable to store to flash memory.
With regards the amount of data it's not just the program name and time
but also the short description on what the program is about.

Re: Humax EPG - update 2

<upd47n$1f1l6$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123350&group=uk.d-i-y#123350

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 09:34:47 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 09:34 UTC

On 31/01/2024 06:24, Paul wrote:
> One thread I could find, left the impression that maybe
> the Humax processor can't actually process the arrival rate
> of the data, and that's why on a first pass transmission, it
> would get some of the channels, and then on the next pass,
> it would fill in the gaps.

That is what happens to me with TVheadend, which is a piece of software
approximating to a set top box connected via a TV DVB dongle to the
antenna.

It can only tune one multiplex at at time, and if you are listening or
watching on one, it cant pull EPG from the others.

I would expect he Humax to have two tuners though, so you can always
watch one channel and record another.

> What's curious, is Wasbit's symptoms are seen by others,
> and the thing also seems to have a very curious notion
> of "caching". It's like it is constantly leaking and tossing
> stuff away.

Could well be. There is some crap firmware out there.
> I have not seen any signs, that people have access to a "log",
> to gather evidence of what it is doing.

No, that's TV headend only, the software application.

> One solution apparently, is to reduce the number of channels
> it is tracking. The less work it has to do, the more filled
> the EPG is.
Dunno.

--
“It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established
authorities are wrong.”

― Voltaire, The Age of Louis XIV

Re: Humax EPG - update 2

<upfruu$215ib$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123419&group=uk.d-i-y#123419

From: wasbit@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 10:31:58 +0000
 by: wasbit - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 10:31 UTC

> On 30/01/2024 10:09, wasbit wrote:
>
>> FYI
>>
>> EPG data is transmitted continuously and the EPG on the Humax is
>> continuously being updated as long as the Humax is not in standby.
>>
>>   -
>> https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/fvp-5000t-epg-losing-programme-information
>>

>> Don't know whether that's opinion or fact but it would seem to be the
>> logical answer.
>>
> Odd factoid. I was fiddling with my TVheadend equipped PI computer and
> unbeknownst to me the aerial fell out. So TV didn't work, but I didn't
> notice until the following morning. All the TV guides were there, but no
> pictures!
>
> My conclusions is that either a load of stuff is also downloaded over
> the internet, Or TV guides are for the future as well as 'today'.
>
> But switching the machine off completely will always lose whatever
> guides are in RAM,. obviously.

Ours isn't, & hasn't ever been, connected to the internet.

The EPG worked fine in the past when we recorded lots of programmes
whilst we were away on holiday.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Humax EPG - update 2

<upfs4q$215ib$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123421&group=uk.d-i-y#123421

From: wasbit@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 10:35:07 +0000
 by: wasbit - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 10:35 UTC

On 30/01/2024 12:11, Andy Burns wrote:
> The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>
>> I was fiddling with my TVheadend equipped PI computer and unbeknownst
>> to me the aerial fell out. So TV didn't work, but I didn't notice
>> until the following morning. All the TV guides were there, but no
>> pictures!
>>
>> My conclusions is that either a load of stuff is also downloaded over
>> the internet, Or TV guides are for the future as well as 'today'.
>
> The OTA EPG is 7 days
>
>> But switching the machine off completely will always lose whatever
>> guides are in RAM,. obviously.
>
> They do get stored in /var/lib/tvheadend/config/epgdb.*

How do I find that?

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Humax EPG - update 2

<upfsbv$217gn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123422&group=uk.d-i-y#123422

From: wasbit@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 10:38:54 +0000
 by: wasbit - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 10:38 UTC

On 31/01/2024 07:19, alan_m wrote:
> On 31/01/2024 06:24, Paul wrote:

>>> ah. Do they indeed. That's odd, because if I power the machine down
>>> they seem to vanish...
>>>

>> There's more than one kind of EPG.
>>
>> There's some version that tells you enough to know
>> "what is on next". In other words, a very short event horizon.
>>
>> As for the other flavor, I've no details how yours works.
>>
>> TV in the analog days, carried all sorts of information
>> during retrace or the like. It carried enough information,
>> that one company actually used it for Internet content
>> (signal broadcast to the consumers of the content, and
>> if your network address matched at the moment, you would
>> eat the content, and your dialup modem would send an ACK
>> so the other end would know the downloaded item arrived).
>>
>> But with digital, there's no need for retrace, front porch
>> or back porch, and so the content then, has to be defined
>> for each purpose. You could have a high resolution video signal
>> and no auxiliary information, or you could have a mixture of
>> video and something else.
>>
>> One thread I could find, left the impression that maybe
>> the Humax processor can't actually process the arrival rate
>> of the data, and that's why on a first pass transmission, it
>> would get some of the channels, and then on the next pass,
>> it would fill in the gaps.
>>
>> What's curious, is Wasbit's symptoms are seen by others,
>> and the thing also seems to have a very curious notion
>> of "caching". It's like it is constantly leaking and tossing
>> stuff away.
>>
>> I have not seen any signs, that people have access to a "log",
>> to gather evidence of what it is doing.
>>
>> One solution apparently, is to reduce the number of channels
>> it is tracking. The less work it has to do, the more filled
>> the EPG is.
>
> With many boxes the EPG is held and updated in RAM and only transferred
> to disk on a proper shut down. The box has to know that its going to
> loose power or the software shut down in order to store the EPG to disk
> or usb stick.
>
> This can also create a problem if any time the data becomes corrupted.
> The corrupted data is read from disk at power up to RAM and if there
> isn't a mechanism to correct the data the corrupted form gets saved back
> to disk on shut down. Often there is a user option to clear EPG cache
> data in the RAM and maybe also to wipe the same data from disk.
>
> On my box there is the option to select where the EPG is stored: flash
> memory, hard disk or USB stick. It is inadvisable to store to flash memory.
> With regards the amount of data it's not just the program name and time
> but also the short description on what the program is about.

How do you tell it to shut down when the off button only puts the box
into standby?

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Humax EPG - update 2

<upgac3$23pge$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123443&group=uk.d-i-y#123443

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 14:37:55 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 14:37 UTC

On 01/02/2024 10:35, wasbit wrote:
> On 30/01/2024 12:11, Andy Burns wrote:
>> The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>>
>>> I was fiddling with my TVheadend equipped PI computer and unbeknownst
>>> to me the aerial fell out. So TV didn't work, but I didn't notice
>>> until the following morning. All the TV guides were there, but no
>>> pictures!
>>>
>>> My conclusions is that either a load of stuff is also downloaded over
>>> the internet, Or TV guides are for the future as well as 'today'.
>>
>> The OTA EPG is 7 days
>>
>>> But switching the machine off completely will always lose whatever
>>> guides are in RAM,. obviously.
>>
>> They do get stored in /var/lib/tvheadend/config/epgdb.*
>>

> How do I find that?

You haven't got TVheadend, so you wont

--
“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the
other is to refuse to believe what is true.”

—Soren Kierkegaard

Re: Humax EPG - update 2

<upl3d3$332tr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123674&group=uk.d-i-y#123674

From: wasbit@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 10:09:40 +0000
 by: wasbit - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 10:09 UTC

> On 31/01/2024 06:24, Paul wrote:
>> One thread I could find, left the impression that maybe
>> the Humax processor can't actually process the arrival rate
>> of the data, and that's why on a first pass transmission, it
>> would get some of the channels, and then on the next pass,
>> it would fill in the gaps.
>>
> That is what happens to me with TVheadend, which is a piece of software
> approximating to a set top box connected via a TV DVB dongle to the
> antenna.
>
> It can only tune one multiplex at at time, and if you are listening or
> watching on one, it cant pull EPG from the others.
>
> I would expect he Humax to have two tuners though, so you can always
> watch one channel and record another.
>
>> What's curious, is Wasbit's symptoms are seen by others,
>> and the thing also seems to have a very curious notion
>> of "caching". It's like it is constantly leaking and tossing
>> stuff away.
>>
> Could well be. There is some crap firmware out there.
>> I have not seen any signs, that people have access to a "log",
>> to gather evidence of what it is doing.
>>
> No, that's TV headend only, the software application.
>
>> One solution apparently, is to reduce the number of channels
>> it is tracking. The less work it has to do, the more filled
>> the EPG is.
> Dunno.

The Humax FVP 5000T has 3 tuners & an 8 day EPG.
Sometimes we can record 3 programmes whilst watching a 4th channel &
sometimes we can't.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Humax EPG - update 2

<upl458$33717$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123676&group=uk.d-i-y#123676

From: wasbit@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 10:22:33 +0000
 by: wasbit - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 10:22 UTC

> On 01/02/2024 10:35, wasbit wrote:

>>> The OTA EPG is 7 days

>>> They do get stored in /var/lib/tvheadend/config/epgdb.*
>>>

>> How do I find that?
>>
> You haven't got TVheadend, so you wont

Managed to get Tvheadend installed on a Raspberry Pi after 4 attempts.

For some reason there were always some missing files.
I didn't know how to correct that so had to wipe & reinstall both the OS
& tvheadend until they worked.

Currently this is a mental exercise until I can find out how I can use
it. I see that Roku supports it so that might be an option.

Thanks for the nudge.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Humax EPG - update 2

<upl6k3$33dvm$7@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123689&group=uk.d-i-y#123689

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 11:04:34 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 11:04 UTC

On 03/02/2024 10:22, wasbit wrote:
> On 01/02/2024 14:37, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

>>> How do I find that?
>>>
>> You haven't got TVheadend, so you wont
>>

> Managed to get Tvheadend installed on a Raspberry Pi after 4 attempts.

Oh? it went pretty much first time for me.
Setting it up is a pain in the arse though.
Since my pi bricked itself two days ago I had to do it again.
Somehow the DVB interface wasn't 'enabled' and it took me a while to
spot that.
Still cant get HD working on my setup. Pictures but no sound.

> For some reason there were always some missing files.
> I didn't know how to correct that so had to wipe & reinstall both the OS
> & tvheadend until they worked.

Odd. Not had that

> Currently this is a mental exercise until I can find out how I can use
> it. I see that Roku supports it so that might be an option.

I built a web server that operates on the Pi to display the channels and
EPGS and you just click on the channel you want. I never implemented
recording though. Do that manually etc. It's a bit rough round the
edges, but its OK for me - I have to go into TVheadends own web
interface to clear connections if I close the browser without cancelling
a channel though.

> Thanks for the nudge.

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels

Re: Humax EPG

<ushcrc$2902v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126646&group=uk.d-i-y#126646

From: wasbit@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 10:15:09 +0000
 by: wasbit - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 10:15 UTC

On 16/01/2024 14:13, wasbit wrote:
> Humax FVP 5000T set top recorder is often very slow to populate the EPG.
> Signal is from rooftop aerial not internet.
> Some stations can be populated either fully or partially whilst others
> are empty.
> Have tried turning the channel guide off, waiting a minute, then back on
> which occasionally helps with some channels.
> Often the population can take 20 or 30 minutes & sometimes up to an hour.
> Is this the norm & is there anything that can be done to speed the
> population up?

Update

The Humax EPG is populating better since allowing the box to turn itself
on for half an hour earlier in the day.
However it is not consistant. Somedays the list is fully populated,
other days some channels can be fully populated & others only partially.
Sometimes the only way a channel will populate is to turn off the EPG
(ie return to normal viewing), switch the TV to that channel, the turn
on the EPG.
I still suspect that the EPG population is device sensative as the TVs &
Freesat box don't seem to have a problem.

--
Regards
wasbit