Paranoid schizophrenics outnumber their enemies at least two to one.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Magnetic filters for CH and DHW systems

SubjectAuthor
* Magnetic filters for CH and DHW systemsChris Hogg
+* Re: Magnetic filters for CH and DHW systemsAndy Burns
|`- Re: Magnetic filters for CH and DHW systemsalan_m
+- Re: Magnetic filters for CH and DHW systemsJohn Rumm
`- Re: Magnetic filters for CH and DHW systemsHarry Bloomfield Esq

1
Magnetic filters for CH and DHW systems

<tr0rui54ebrj7noa3gjjs17asc0n8kntml@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126681&group=uk.d-i-y#126681

From: me@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Magnetic filters for CH and DHW systems
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 10:04:01 +0000
 by: Chris Hogg - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 10:04 UTC

Three questions:

1. Do they use electro-magnets, traditional iron-based magnets, or
neodymium magnets?

2. If the last two types, how do they get switched off for cleaning
out the magnetic crap they've collected?

3. Is it acceptable to wash the magnetic crap down the drain, or
should it be disposed of in some other way, and if so, what other way?

--
Chris

Re: Magnetic filters for CH and DHW systems

<l55fenFbf54U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126682&group=uk.d-i-y#126682

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Magnetic filters for CH and DHW systems
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 10:13:39 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 10:13 UTC

Chris Hogg wrote:

> Three questions:
>
> 1. Do they use electro-magnets, traditional iron-based magnets, or
> neodymium magnets?

permanent, presumably neodymium

> 2. If the last two types, how do they get switched off for cleaning
> out the magnetic crap they've collected?

The magnet is within a tube, the crud collects on the outside of the
tube, for cleaning the tube+magnet assembly is removed from the filter,
then the magnet is withdrawn from the tube, the cruc can be washed-off
the tube

> 3. Is it acceptable to wash the magnetic crap down the drain, or
> should it be disposed of in some other way, and if so, what other way?

Various videos just show it going down a sink, it's mostly just rust,
isn't it?

Re: Magnetic filters for CH and DHW systems

<l55g51Fcjq8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126683&group=uk.d-i-y#126683

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 10:25:37 +0000
 by: alan_m - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 10:25 UTC

On 10/03/2024 10:13, Andy Burns wrote:

> The magnet is within a tube, the crud collects on the outside of the
> tube, for cleaning the tube+magnet assembly is removed from the filter,
> then the magnet is withdrawn from the tube, the cruc can be washed-off
> the tube

Some have the magnetic collar on the outside of the housing and, as you
indicate, the magnet is first removed. For the (boiler manufacture
recommended) filter fitted to my system the magnet is first removed, a
tap on the bottom of the filter is opened and the water pressure forces
the crud out.

Other filters have isolating valves either side of the filter allowing
the filter to be opened for cleaning. These also have the advantage of
being a good place to for dosing the system with CH additives (inhibitor
etc.).

Re: Magnetic filters for CH and DHW systems

<usku7p$33kpf$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126709&group=uk.d-i-y#126709

From: see.my.signature@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 18:30:17 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 18:30 UTC

On 10/03/2024 10:04, Chris Hogg wrote:
> Three questions:
>
> 1. Do they use electro-magnets, traditional iron-based magnets, or
> neodymium magnets?

One of the latter two.

> 2. If the last two types, how do they get switched off for cleaning
> out the magnetic crap they've collected?

On mine (Fernox TF1) you:

Make sure the boiler will not fire during the cleaning process
Close the butterfly valves either side of the filter
Unscrew the bleed valve at the top (to allow air in)
Withdraw the magnet
Open the drain valve at the bottom of the filter.

Once it has emptied:

Close the drain valve
Replace the magnet
Open one butterfly valve, and allow air to purge from the vent
When purged, close the vent
Open the other butterfly valve

> 3. Is it acceptable to wash the magnetic crap down the drain, or
> should it be disposed of in some other way, and if so, what other way?

Drain will be fine.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Magnetic filters for CH and DHW systems

<usl3gn$2uoro$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126711&group=uk.d-i-y#126711

From: a@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 20:00:23 +0000
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 20:00 UTC

On 10/03/2024 10:04, Chris Hogg wrote:
> Three questions:
>
> 1. Do they use electro-magnets, traditional iron-based magnets, or
> neodymium magnets?

Neodymium.

> 2. If the last two types, how do they get switched off for cleaning
> out the magnetic crap they've collected?

In my version, the magnet is in a tube, sealed from the water. Turn the
water flow off (boiler off), pull the magnet out of the top, the
collected oxide drops down, then you open a drain valve at the base,
where it all collects, to flush it clear.

> 3. Is it acceptable to wash the magnetic crap down the drain, or
> should it be disposed of in some other way, and if so, what other way?

I don't see why not, it's only magnetite.