Always look over your shoulder because everyone is watching and plotting against you.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / New shed roof covering

SubjectAuthor
* New shed roof coveringcampbela
+- Re: New shed roof coveringAndy Burns
+* Re: New shed roof coveringJohn Rumm
|+* Re: New shed roof coveringalan_m
||+- Re: New shed roof coveringJohn Rumm
||`- Re: New shed roof coveringPeterC
|+* Re: New shed roof coveringcampbela
||+- Re: New shed roof coveringTim Lamb
||`- Re: New shed roof coveringJohn Rumm
|`* Re: New shed roof coveringAndrew
| `- Re: New shed roof coveringAndy Burns
+* Re: New shed roof coveringSteveW
|+- Re: New shed roof coveringnothanks
|+- Re: New shed roof coveringAdam Funk
|`- Re: New shed roof coveringHarry Bloomfield Esq
+- Re: New shed roof coveringme9
+- Re: New shed roof coveringTimW
`* Re: New shed roof coveringHarry Bloomfield Esq
 `* Re: New shed roof coveringRJH
  +* Re: New shed roof coveringSteveW
  |+- Re: New shed roof coveringRJH
  |`* Re: New shed roof coveringSam Plusnet
  | `* Re: New shed roof coveringHarry Bloomfield Esq
  |  `- Re: New shed roof coveringTim Lamb
  `- Re: New shed roof coveringHarry Bloomfield Esq

1
New shed roof covering

<c631afdf56a274a19139d19aa6c1e55a@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126746&group=uk.d-i-y#126746

From: alan@campbell-clan.co.uk (campbela)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: New shed roof covering
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 17:10:17 +0000
 by: campbela - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 17:10 UTC

The felt roof covering on my shed appears to be leaking. The shed was build by the supplier in 2018 so its only lasted 6 years - I was expecting a bit of a longer life out of the roof covering but then I dont know what quality it is.

I have been looking around at shed roof coverings and come up with the following options:

1) Replace with felt (thicker/better quality)
2) Replace with a rubber/EPDM covering
3) Replace with bitumen corrugated sheets

I have done option 1 before on a previous shed and I am comfortable with what is required.

Does anyone have any experience with either option 2 or 3? Are they worth the extra money? Do they last a lot longer?

Thanks

Alan

Re: New shed roof covering

<l58sfrFs8q2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126747&group=uk.d-i-y#126747

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: New shed roof covering
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 17:14:32 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 17:14 UTC

On 11/03/2024 17:10, campbela wrote:
> 2) Replace with a rubber/EPDM covering
> 3) Replace with bitumen corrugated sheets
>
> I have done option 1 before on a previous shed and I am comfortable with
> what is required.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with either option 2 or 3?  Are they
> worth the extra money? Do they last a lot longer?
I've used 2) on a garage roof, the ruber itself is fine, but the fixing
system round the edges is not holding up well after ~12 years, hoping I
can re-do that over the summer ...

I've used 3) on my shed, and would do it again with zero hesitation,
about 10 years down and no signs of wear at all.

Re: New shed roof covering

<usnj6q$3ovo3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126755&group=uk.d-i-y#126755

From: see.my.signature@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 18:40:26 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 18:40 UTC

On 11/03/2024 17:10, campbela wrote:
> The felt roof covering on my shed appears to be leaking.  The shed was
> build by the supplier in 2018 so its only lasted 6 years - I was
> expecting a bit of a longer life out of the roof covering but then I
> dont know what quality it is.
>
> I have been looking around at shed roof coverings and come up with the
> following options:
>
> 1) Replace with felt (thicker/better quality)

If you go for a 2 layer "torch on" felt with a under layer and a cap
sheet, then that will do 20 years easily. It is also very quick and easy
to apply but you will need a big blowtorch.

> 2) Replace with a rubber/EPDM covering

Possibly excessive for a shed

> 3) Replace with bitumen corrugated sheets

Would also work can can be fairly quick and easy.

> I have done option 1 before on a previous shed and I am comfortable with
> what is required.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with either option 2 or 3?  Are they
> worth the extra money? Do they last a lot longer?

To be fair, anything will last better than your typical "shed grade"
felt - especially if it was only a single layer and was just nailed on.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: New shed roof covering

<l593qvFtm9kU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126757&group=uk.d-i-y#126757

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 19:20:00 +0000
 by: alan_m - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 19:20 UTC

On 11/03/2024 18:40, John Rumm wrote:
> On 11/03/2024 17:10, campbela wrote:
>> The felt roof covering on my shed appears to be leaking.  The shed was
>> build by the supplier in 2018 so its only lasted 6 years - I was
>> expecting a bit of a longer life out of the roof covering but then I
>> dont know what quality it is.
>>
>> I have been looking around at shed roof coverings and come up with the
>> following options:
>>
>> 1) Replace with felt (thicker/better quality)
>
> If you go for a 2 layer "torch on" felt with a under layer and a cap
> sheet, then that will do 20 years easily. It is also very quick and easy
> to apply but you will need a big blowtorch.
>
>> 2) Replace with a rubber/EPDM covering
>
> Possibly excessive for a shed
>
>> 3) Replace with bitumen corrugated sheets
>
> Would also work can can be fairly quick and easy.
>
>> I have done option 1 before on a previous shed and I am comfortable
>> with what is required.
>>
>> Does anyone have any experience with either option 2 or 3?  Are they
>> worth the extra money? Do they last a lot longer?
>
> To be fair, anything will last better than your typical "shed grade"
> felt - especially if it was only a single layer and was just nailed on.

With some of the cheap stuff it cracks rather than bends if you try and
install it at any temperature below 30C. :)

Re: New shed roof covering

<usnpeb$3qemc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126760&group=uk.d-i-y#126760

From: see.my.signature@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 20:26:50 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 20:26 UTC

On 11/03/2024 19:20, alan_m wrote:
> On 11/03/2024 18:40, John Rumm wrote:
>> On 11/03/2024 17:10, campbela wrote:
>>> The felt roof covering on my shed appears to be leaking.  The shed
>>> was build by the supplier in 2018 so its only lasted 6 years - I was
>>> expecting a bit of a longer life out of the roof covering but then I
>>> dont know what quality it is.
>>>
>>> I have been looking around at shed roof coverings and come up with
>>> the following options:
>>>
>>> 1) Replace with felt (thicker/better quality)
>>
>> If you go for a 2 layer "torch on" felt with a under layer and a cap
>> sheet, then that will do 20 years easily. It is also very quick and
>> easy to apply but you will need a big blowtorch.
>>
>>> 2) Replace with a rubber/EPDM covering
>>
>> Possibly excessive for a shed
>>
>>> 3) Replace with bitumen corrugated sheets
>>
>> Would also work can can be fairly quick and easy.
>>
>>> I have done option 1 before on a previous shed and I am comfortable
>>> with what is required.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any experience with either option 2 or 3?  Are they
>>> worth the extra money? Do they last a lot longer?
>>
>> To be fair, anything will last better than your typical "shed grade"
>> felt - especially if it was only a single layer and was just nailed on.
>>

> With some of the cheap stuff it cracks rather than bends if you try and
> install it at any temperature below 30C. :)

Which in the UK limits it to a two week window in June sometime! :-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: New shed roof covering

<usnvj8$3rj9o$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126763&group=uk.d-i-y#126763

From: steve@walker-family.me.uk (SteveW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 22:11:51 +0000
 by: SteveW - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 22:11 UTC

On 11/03/2024 17:10, campbela wrote:
> The felt roof covering on my shed appears to be leaking.  The shed was
> build by the supplier in 2018 so its only lasted 6 years - I was
> expecting a bit of a longer life out of the roof covering but then I
> dont know what quality it is.
>
> I have been looking around at shed roof coverings and come up with the
> following options:
>
> 1) Replace with felt (thicker/better quality)
> 2) Replace with a rubber/EPDM covering
> 3) Replace with bitumen corrugated sheets
>
> I have done option 1 before on a previous shed and I am comfortable with
> what is required.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with either option 2 or 3?  Are they
> worth the extra money? Do they last a lot longer?

I re-covered my shed with box section steel roofing a few years ago,
after the felt failed yet again. This was the solution that I applied to
my garage about 15 years ago and which is still going strong - in fact,
I am going to widen and lengthen my garage (concrete panel construction)
and will be re-using the existing roofing for a big chunk of it.

Re: New shed roof covering

<l59iecF1b8mU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126764&group=uk.d-i-y#126764

From: nothanks@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 23:29:17 +0000
 by: nothanks@aolbin.com - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 23:29 UTC

On 11/03/2024 22:11, SteveW wrote:
> On 11/03/2024 17:10, campbela wrote:
>> The felt roof covering on my shed appears to be leaking.  The shed was
>> build by the supplier in 2018 so its only lasted 6 years - I was
>> expecting a bit of a longer life out of the roof covering but then I
>> dont know what quality it is.
>>
>> I have been looking around at shed roof coverings and come up with the
>> following options:
>>
>> 1) Replace with felt (thicker/better quality)
>> 2) Replace with a rubber/EPDM covering
>> 3) Replace with bitumen corrugated sheets
>>
>> I have done option 1 before on a previous shed and I am comfortable
>> with what is required.
>>
>> Does anyone have any experience with either option 2 or 3?  Are they
>> worth the extra money? Do they last a lot longer?
>
> I re-covered my shed with box section steel roofing a few years ago,
> after the felt failed yet again. This was the solution that I applied to
> my garage about 15 years ago and which is still going strong - in fact,
> I am going to widen and lengthen my garage (concrete panel construction)
> and will be re-using the existing roofing for a big chunk of it.

Yes, that's what I've done on a shed with a tired felt roof. It's a
simple job to fit it over the existing felt using tek screws - assuming
the board is sound, of course.

Re: New shed roof covering

<mpro.sa7ns20020tb2035k.me9@privacy.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126766&group=uk.d-i-y#126766

From: me9@privacy.net (me9)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 01:21:38 +0000
 by: me9 - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 01:21 UTC

alan@campbell-clan.co.uk (campbela) wrote:

> The felt roof covering on my shed appears to be leaking. The shed was
> build by the supplier in 2018 so its only lasted 6 years - I was expecting
> a bit of a longer life out of the roof covering but then I dont know what
> quality it is.
>
> I have been looking around at shed roof coverings and come up with the
> following options:
>
> 1) Replace with felt (thicker/better quality) 2) Replace with a
> rubber/EPDM covering 3) Replace with bitumen corrugated sheets
>
> I have done option 1 before on a previous shed and I am comfortable with
> what is required.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with either option 2 or 3? Are they worth
> the extra money? Do they last a lot longer?

Used option 2 a few years back, Had to replace boards with OSB first. Job
should see me out. (nearly finished me off, I nearly slipped off teh roof
grabbing the pot of glue which was sliding down!)

It was more expensive than felt but easier to fit and is as good as new now,
after about 5 years.

--
braind

Re: New shed roof covering

<2a2ec58078edc7f5d36bfbbe7e5ced34@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126768&group=uk.d-i-y#126768

From: alan@campbell-clan.co.uk (campbela)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 07:37:22 +0000
 by: campbela - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 07:37 UTC

John Rumm wrote:

> To be fair, anything will last better than your typical "shed grade"
> felt - especially if it was only a single layer and was just nailed on.

Do you have any recommendations for some "decent stuff"?

Thanks

Re: New shed roof covering

<r3eqkfIxOC8lFwof@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126775&group=uk.d-i-y#126775

From: tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 09:43:13 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 09:43 UTC

In message <2a2ec58078edc7f5d36bfbbe7e5ced34@www.novabbs.com>, campbela
<alan@campbell-clan.co.uk> writes
>John Rumm wrote:
>
>> To be fair, anything will last better than your typical "shed grade"
>>felt - especially if it was only a single layer and was just nailed on.
>

>Do you have any recommendations for some "decent stuff"?

I have used Wickes heavy grade mineralised felt on stables.

The trick is to lay and lap the felt *up* rather than *along* the roof
pitch. Use treated softwood battens for the laps and midway securing.
Soften the felt with a hot air blower to form the eaves drip and secure
with flat head galvanised nails.
Ideally the ridge needs to be galvanised steel but you can repeat the
heated/fold/nail job for a shorter life.

--
Tim Lamb

Re: New shed roof covering

<3i66ckxh0t.ln2@news.ducksburg.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126794&group=uk.d-i-y#126794

From: a24061a@ducksburg.com (Adam Funk)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 14:48:03 +0000
 by: Adam Funk - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 14:48 UTC

On 2024-03-11, SteveW wrote:

> On 11/03/2024 17:10, campbela wrote:
>> The felt roof covering on my shed appears to be leaking.  The shed was
>> build by the supplier in 2018 so its only lasted 6 years - I was
>> expecting a bit of a longer life out of the roof covering but then I
>> dont know what quality it is.
>>
>> I have been looking around at shed roof coverings and come up with the
>> following options:
>>
>> 1) Replace with felt (thicker/better quality)
>> 2) Replace with a rubber/EPDM covering
>> 3) Replace with bitumen corrugated sheets
>>
>> I have done option 1 before on a previous shed and I am comfortable with
>> what is required.
>>
>> Does anyone have any experience with either option 2 or 3?  Are they
>> worth the extra money? Do they last a lot longer?
>
> I re-covered my shed with box section steel roofing a few years ago,
> after the felt failed yet again. This was the solution that I applied to
> my garage about 15 years ago and which is still going strong - in fact,
> I am going to widen and lengthen my garage (concrete panel construction)
> and will be re-using the existing roofing for a big chunk of it.

That's what I have on my shed too. I think I built the shed in 2008 or
so and put corrugated translucent panels from Wickes on it, but they
eventually became delicate (from sunlight, I assume) and got a couple
of holes from bumping the roof while putting a ladder away.

I got box profile stuff from cladco.co.uk in spring 2020 and installed
it, but it was relatively easy because I built the shed without a
ridge. The roof just slopes down from front to back with a good
overhang both ways.

Re: New shed roof covering

<3c6cruprapnl.1m82u557hyuiv$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126798&group=uk.d-i-y#126798

From: giraffenos.pam@homecall.co.uk (PeterC)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 17:07:13 +0000
 by: PeterC - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 17:07 UTC

On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 19:20:00 +0000, alan_m wrote:

> With some of the cheap stuff it cracks rather than bends if you try and
> install it at any temperature below 30C. :)

About 25 years ago I needed to refelt a duck house and a hen coop. Went to
B&Q looke at the extra-strong felt - 2 fingers and a thumb just tore it.
Wennt to a roofing merchant and bought glass-fibre felt (looked just the
same but not tearable), No trouble when bending it in winter.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Re: New shed roof covering

<usq4v3$dvev$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126799&group=uk.d-i-y#126799

From: see.my.signature@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 17:55:46 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 17:55 UTC

On 12/03/2024 07:37, campbela wrote:
> John Rumm wrote:
>
>> To be fair, anything will last better than your typical "shed grade"
>> felt - especially if it was only a single layer and was just nailed on.
>

> Do you have any recommendations for some "decent stuff"?

If looking at torch on ones, the ones with rubberised modifiers in the
bituminous layer apply more easily and bond better, so typically
something with SBS (Styrene-Butadiene-Styrene) or APP (Atactic
Polypropylene) in the title.

I normally use a 4mm underlay, with a 2mm mineral finish cap sheet.

Brand is probably less important, but most of the ones carried by proper
roofing stores and builder's merchants are likely to be fine.
--
Cheers,

John.

Re: New shed roof covering

<usruo0$t9tg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126838&group=uk.d-i-y#126838

From: timw@nomailta.co.uk (TimW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 10:21:52 +0000
 by: TimW - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 10:21 UTC

On 11/03/2024 17:10, campbela wrote:
> The felt roof covering on my shed appears to be leaking.  The shed was
> build by the supplier in 2018 so its only lasted 6 years - I was
> expecting a bit of a longer life out of the roof covering but then I
> dont know what quality it is.
>
> I have been looking around at shed roof coverings and come up with the
> following options:
>
> 1) Replace with felt (thicker/better quality)
> 2) Replace with a rubber/EPDM covering
> 3) Replace with bitumen corrugated sheets
>
> I have done option 1 before on a previous shed and I am comfortable with
> what is required.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with either option 2 or 3?  Are they
> worth the extra money? Do they last a lot longer?

After several refeltings and over-feltings I did onduline or equivalent
bitumeny corrugated. NO MORE LEAKS! I think some movement in the cheap
and flimsy shed without foundations was tearing the felt. Onduline easy
to install, over the top of the felt if you want. Life-span 15-20 yrs I
believe.

TW

Re: New shed roof covering

<usuoo1$1ja29$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126916&group=uk.d-i-y#126916

From: Andrew97d@btinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 11:57:52 +0000
 by: Andrew - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 11:57 UTC

On 11/03/2024 18:40, John Rumm wrote:
> On 11/03/2024 17:10, campbela wrote:
>> The felt roof covering on my shed appears to be leaking.  The shed was
>> build by the supplier in 2018 so its only lasted 6 years - I was
>> expecting a bit of a longer life out of the roof covering but then I
>> dont know what quality it is.
>>
>> I have been looking around at shed roof coverings and come up with the
>> following options:
>>
>> 1) Replace with felt (thicker/better quality)
>
> If you go for a 2 layer "torch on" felt with a under layer and a cap
> sheet, then that will do 20 years easily. It is also very quick and easy
> to apply but you will need a big blowtorch.
>
>> 2) Replace with a rubber/EPDM covering
>
> Possibly excessive for a shed

And suppliers might have minimum order sizes.

Since it is a shed, EPDM pond liner is available
in a variety of widths from some garden centres.
It will be the thinner version of that intended
for garages and flat roofs but ok for a shed.

getting hold of a smaller quantity of the special
adhesive might be tricky though and the shed would
need to be overcovered with 11mm OSB.

Re: New shed roof covering

<l5g95pF24c9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126919&group=uk.d-i-y#126919

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 12:34:00 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 12:34 UTC

Andrew wrote:

> John Rumm wrote:
>
>> campbela wrote:
>>
>>> Replace with a rubber/EPDM covering
>>
>> Possibly excessive for a shed
>
> And suppliers might have minimum order sizes.

I've seen suppliers doing "shed packs" of EPDM.

Re: New shed roof covering

<ut2ktu$27g4c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127049&group=uk.d-i-y#127049

From: a@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 23:17:18 +0000
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 23:17 UTC

On 11/03/2024 17:10, campbela wrote:
> 1) Replace with felt (thicker/better quality)
> 2) Replace with a rubber/EPDM covering
> 3) Replace with bitumen corrugated sheets

4) Replace with box section, corrugated steel, galvanised, then colour
coated. It will outlast all of the others, many times over.

Re: New shed roof covering

<ut2lk9$27g4b$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127050&group=uk.d-i-y#127050

From: a@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 23:29:14 +0000
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 23:29 UTC

On 11/03/2024 22:11, SteveW wrote:
> I re-covered my shed with box section steel roofing a few years ago,
> after the felt failed yet again. This was the solution that I applied to
> my garage about 15 years ago and which is still going strong - in fact,
> I am going to widen and lengthen my garage (concrete panel construction)
> and will be re-using the existing roofing for a big chunk of it.

+1

I replaced my garage roof with it, originally, so pleased with it - I
then did my workshop extension too. More recently, fed up of patching
the summerhouse roof, last year I did that too with the steel.

Re: New shed roof covering

<ut2tpb$2iifn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127053&group=uk.d-i-y#127053

From: patchmoney@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 01:48:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 01:48 UTC

On 15 Mar 2024 at 23:17:18 GMT, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:

> On 11/03/2024 17:10, campbela wrote:
>> 1) Replace with felt (thicker/better quality)
>> 2) Replace with a rubber/EPDM covering
>> 3) Replace with bitumen corrugated sheets
>
> 4) Replace with box section, corrugated steel, galvanised, then colour
> coated. It will outlast all of the others, many times over.

OOI. how does it cope with being cut and drilled, rust wise?
--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: New shed roof covering

<ut3v2q$2rtdk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127075&group=uk.d-i-y#127075

From: steve@walker-family.me.uk (SteveW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 11:16:41 +0000
 by: SteveW - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 11:16 UTC

On 16/03/2024 01:48, RJH wrote:
> On 15 Mar 2024 at 23:17:18 GMT, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:
>
>> On 11/03/2024 17:10, campbela wrote:
>>> 1) Replace with felt (thicker/better quality)
>>> 2) Replace with a rubber/EPDM covering
>>> 3) Replace with bitumen corrugated sheets
>>
>> 4) Replace with box section, corrugated steel, galvanised, then colour
>> coated. It will outlast all of the others, many times over.
>
> OOI. how does it cope with being cut and drilled, rust wise?

No problem at all. You can paint the cut edges with a galvanising paint,
but it is unnecessary. The Galvanic protection is not just to the
surface covered, but for a small distance beyond the covering - more
distance than the thickness of the sheet - so even the cut edges remain
protected.

There is still not a sign of any rust on my garage roof. I guessed at
when I installed it before, but I've just checked on Google Earth and I
put the galvanised steel on some time between 2005 and 2008.

Re: New shed roof covering

<ut48d7$2u0od$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127083&group=uk.d-i-y#127083

From: patchmoney@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 13:55:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 13:55 UTC

On 16 Mar 2024 at 11:16:41 GMT, SteveW wrote:

> On 16/03/2024 01:48, RJH wrote:

>>> 4) Replace with box section, corrugated steel, galvanised, then colour
>>> coated. It will outlast all of the others, many times over.
>>
>> OOI. how does it cope with being cut and drilled, rust wise?
>
> No problem at all. You can paint the cut edges with a galvanising paint,
> but it is unnecessary. The Galvanic protection is not just to the
> surface covered, but for a small distance beyond the covering - more
> distance than the thickness of the sheet - so even the cut edges remain
> protected.
>
> There is still not a sign of any rust on my garage roof. I guessed at
> when I installed it before, but I've just checked on Google Earth and I
> put the galvanised steel on some time between 2005 and 2008.

Interesting, thanks, hadn't realised. Planning on a 12' x'8' garden shed, and
having tried a few different materials, think I'll give metal a go this time.
--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: New shed roof covering

<UdmJN.145829$46Te.31512@fx38.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127097&group=uk.d-i-y#127097

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 19:16:05 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 19:16 UTC

On 16-Mar-24 11:16, SteveW wrote:
> On 16/03/2024 01:48, RJH wrote:

>>> 4) Replace with box section, corrugated steel, galvanised, then colour
>>> coated. It will outlast all of the others, many times over.
>>
>> OOI. how does it cope with being cut and drilled, rust wise?
>
> No problem at all. You can paint the cut edges with a galvanising paint,
> but it is unnecessary. The Galvanic protection is not just to the
> surface covered, but for a small distance beyond the covering - more
> distance than the thickness of the sheet - so even the cut edges remain
> protected.
>
> There is still not a sign of any rust on my garage roof. I guessed at
> when I installed it before, but I've just checked on Google Earth and I
> put the galvanised steel on some time between 2005 and 2008.

Has there been any accommodation made for, or damages resulting from,
differential expansion?

That's one concern I would have about a metal covering on a wooden shed.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: New shed roof covering

<ut58ec$332g9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127106&group=uk.d-i-y#127106

From: a@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 23:02:38 +0000
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 23:02 UTC

On 16/03/2024 01:48, RJH wrote:
> OOI. how does it cope with being cut and drilled, rust wise?

When cutting, they suggest using shears, which smears the galv over to
protect the cut edge. Drilled holes are in the bottom of the channel,
and fitted with self sealing tec bolts. I have no sign of any rust at
all, after maybe 15 years.

Re: New shed roof covering

<ut6enm$3f6es$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127114&group=uk.d-i-y#127114

From: a@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 09:56:06 +0000
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 09:56 UTC

On 16/03/2024 19:16, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> Has there been any accommodation made for, or damages resulting from,
> differential expansion?
>
> That's one concern I would have about a metal covering on a wooden shed.

I made no provision, and never had a problem.

The only issue, has been that a very few of the tec bolt plastic caps,
have blown off. Next time, might be worth adding a blob of silicon
sealer, or stick like... under the cap, to make sure they stay put.

Re: New shed roof covering

<I5pCX+Mrlt9lFw1v@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127118&group=uk.d-i-y#127118

From: tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 11:52:11 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 11:52 UTC

In message <ut6enm$3f6es$1@dont-email.me>, Harry Bloomfield Esq
<a@harrym1byt.plus.com> writes
>On 16/03/2024 19:16, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>> Has there been any accommodation made for, or damages resulting from,
>>differential expansion?
>> That's one concern I would have about a metal covering on a wooden
>>shed.
>
>I made no provision, and never had a problem.
>
>The only issue, has been that a very few of the tec bolt plastic caps,
>have blown off. Next time, might be worth adding a blob of silicon
>sealer, or stick like... under the cap, to make sure they stay put.

Warehousing, farm buildings etc. use acres of the stuff without
problems.

I tend to fit the double skin insulated version in anticipation of
eventual farm building conversion to business use requiring heating.
They *creak* with exposure to changes in sunlight!

An unexpected issue I reported here a couple of years back is the
*rainwater run off* speed. Where the plastic or painted finish can lead
to occasional runlets of water jumping over a conventionally set gutter.
In my case a roof slope of 12.5 deg.

Edge rusting might be encouraged by angle grinder trimming but snips are
a pain. I asked one of the manufacturers how they trimmed the undersheet
to create a *drip* and was told they use a metal cutting circular saw.

--
Tim Lamb