How many priests are needed for a Boston Mass?

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Gas strut bar stool. Repair, reuse or scrap?

SubjectAuthor
* Gas strut bar stool. Repair, reuse or scrap?Tim+
+* Re: Gas strut bar stool. Repair, reuse or scrap?John Rumm
|`* Re: Gas strut bar stool. Repair, reuse or scrap?Tim+
| `- Re: Gas strut bar stool. Repair, reuse or scrap?John Rumm
`- Re: Gas strut bar stool. Repair, reuse or scrap?PeterC

1
Gas strut bar stool. Repair, reuse or scrap?

<893970402.732145720.453399.timdownieuk-yahoo.co.youkay@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126949&group=uk.d-i-y#126949

From: timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Gas strut bar stool. Repair, reuse or scrap?
Date: 14 Mar 2024 21:53:04 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 21:53 UTC

The seat broke off one of our breakfast bar stools. A quick search
suggests replacing the seat isn’t much cheaper (if any) than replacing the
whole stool.

So, wondering what to do with the base. Have vague recollections that
recycling centres don’t much like high pressure gas struts so wondering if
anyone knows of cheap “re-seating” options, interesting ways to reuse the
seat pedestal/gas strut or how best to dispose of it.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Gas strut bar stool. Repair, reuse or scrap?

<usvuts$1spce$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126959&group=uk.d-i-y#126959

From: see.my.signature@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Gas strut bar stool. Repair, reuse or scrap?
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 22:49:32 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 22:49 UTC

On 14/03/2024 21:53, Tim+ wrote:

> The seat broke off one of our breakfast bar stools. A quick search
> suggests replacing the seat isn’t much cheaper (if any) than replacing the
> whole stool.
>
> So, wondering what to do with the base. Have vague recollections that
> recycling centres don’t much like high pressure gas struts so wondering if
> anyone knows of cheap “re-seating” options, interesting ways to reuse the
> seat pedestal/gas strut or how best to dispose of it.

A photo of how/where the seat broke might help illustrate the problem.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Gas strut bar stool. Repair, reuse or scrap?

<1365871275.732182695.009313.timdownieuk-yahoo.co.youkay@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126977&group=uk.d-i-y#126977

From: timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 15 Mar 2024 08:07:30 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 08:07 UTC

John Rumm <see.my.signature@nowhere.null> wrote:
> On 14/03/2024 21:53, Tim+ wrote:
>>
>> The seat broke off one of our breakfast bar stools. A quick search
>> suggests replacing the seat isn’t much cheaper (if any) than replacing the
>> whole stool.
>>
>> So, wondering what to do with the base. Have vague recollections that
>> recycling centres don’t much like high pressure gas struts so wondering if
>> anyone knows of cheap “re-seating” options, interesting ways to reuse the
>> seat pedestal/gas strut or how best to dispose of it.
>
> A photo of how/where the seat broke might help illustrate the problem.

They’re all very similar in construction with different styles of seats
attached by 4 screws into the plastic seat base. The screws have ripped
out of the seats leaving large holes and the seat covers are coming off so
not really worth repairing.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Gas strut bar stool. Repair, reuse or scrap?

<ut1aaq$287p6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126997&group=uk.d-i-y#126997

From: see.my.signature@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 11:10:18 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 11:10 UTC

On 15/03/2024 08:07, Tim+ wrote:
> John Rumm <see.my.signature@nowhere.null> wrote:
>> On 14/03/2024 21:53, Tim+ wrote:
>>>
>>> The seat broke off one of our breakfast bar stools. A quick search
>>> suggests replacing the seat isn’t much cheaper (if any) than replacing the
>>> whole stool.
>>>
>>> So, wondering what to do with the base. Have vague recollections that
>>> recycling centres don’t much like high pressure gas struts so wondering if
>>> anyone knows of cheap “re-seating” options, interesting ways to reuse the
>>> seat pedestal/gas strut or how best to dispose of it.
>>
>> A photo of how/where the seat broke might help illustrate the problem.
>>

> They’re all very similar in construction with different styles of seats
> attached by 4 screws into the plastic seat base. The screws have ripped
> out of the seats leaving large holes and the seat covers are coming off so
> not really worth repairing.

So it sounds like you could make a new seat out of wood for example
(covered and padded if required) and screw the base to its underside?

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Gas strut bar stool. Repair, reuse or scrap?

<yruemdrafwsc.hh9b5frqla5z.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127026&group=uk.d-i-y#127026

From: giraffenos.pam@homecall.co.uk (PeterC)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 18:07:09 +0000
 by: PeterC - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 18:07 UTC

On 14 Mar 2024 21:53:04 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

> The seat broke off one of our breakfast bar stools. A quick search
> suggests replacing the seat isn’t much cheaper (if any) than replacing the
> whole stool.
>
> So, wondering what to do with the base. Have vague recollections that
> recycling centres don’t much like high pressure gas struts so wondering if
> anyone knows of cheap “re-seating” options, interesting ways to reuse the
> seat pedestal/gas strut or how best to dispose of it.
>
> Tim

A chair was slowly sinking on the strut - took about a week to go down too
far. Decided to replace it with a fixed spacer* so removed the seat.
Looking a what to unscrew or whatever, I kept well away from the strut.
Couldn't see anything obvious so tried pulling the end out to its limit -
all the gas came out! I don't know if they're designed that way.

*By pure luck I had an old spring from a motorbike that was just the right
OD, ID, length and strength for the job. I knew it'd be handy one day -
about 30 years!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away