A hundred thousand lemmings can't be wrong!

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / OT Advice

SubjectAuthor
* OT AdviceTim Lamb
+* Re: OT AdviceIan Jackson
|+* Re: OT Advicefred
||+* Re: OT AdviceIan Jackson
|||`* Re: OT Advicefred
||| `* Re: OT AdviceJohn Rumm
|||  `- Re: OT Advicefred
||`- Re: OT AdviceSpike
|`* Re: OT Advicealan_m
| +* Re: OT Advicealan_m
| |+* Re: OT AdviceTim Streater
| ||`* Re: OT AdviceJohn Rumm
| || `* Re: OT AdviceJoe
| ||  +- Re: OT AdviceJohn Rumm
| ||  `- Re: OT AdviceThe Natural Philosopher
| |`- Re: OT AdviceJohn Rumm
| +* Re: OT AdviceTim Streater
| |`- Re: OT AdviceJohn Rumm
| `* Re: OT AdvicePeter Johnson
|  +- Re: OT AdviceJohn Rumm
|  `- Re: OT Advicealan_m
+* Re: OT AdviceAndy Burns
|`* Re: OT AdviceTim Lamb
| `* Re: OT AdviceJohn Rumm
|  `* Re: OT AdviceTim Streater
|   +* Re: OT AdviceTim Lamb
|   |+* Re: OT AdviceJohn Rumm
|   ||`- Re: OT AdviceTim Lamb
|   |`* Re: OT AdviceThe Natural Philosopher
|   | +* Re: OT AdviceAndy Burns
|   | |+* Re: OT AdviceTim Streater
|   | ||`- Re: OT AdviceJohn Rumm
|   | |`- Re: OT AdviceThe Natural Philosopher
|   | `* Re: OT AdviceTim Lamb
|   |  `* Re: OT AdviceThe Natural Philosopher
|   |   `- Re: OT AdviceTim Lamb
|   +* Re: OT AdviceJohn Rumm
|   |`* Re: OT AdviceTim Streater
|   | `* Re: OT AdviceJohn Rumm
|   |  `* Re: OT AdviceTim Streater
|   |   `* Re: OT AdviceJohn Rumm
|   |    `- Re: OT AdviceTim Streater
|   `- Re: OT AdviceThe Natural Philosopher
+* Re: OT AdviceJohn Rumm
|`* Re: OT AdviceTim Lamb
| `* Re: OT AdviceJohn Rumm
|  `* Re: OT AdviceTim Lamb
|   `* Re: OT AdviceJohn Rumm
|    `- Re: OT AdviceTim Lamb
`* Re: OT AdviceTim Streater
 `* Re: OT AdviceTim Lamb
  +- Re: OT AdviceTim Streater
  `* Re: OT Advicetony sayer
   `- Re: OT AdviceTim Lamb

Pages:123
OT Advice

<ClJAQSVh0X$lFwk5@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127452&group=uk.d-i-y#127452

From: tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: OT Advice
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 12:44:17 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 12:44 UTC

Back in 1995 or so, when my daughter got me signed up with Demon so she
could communicate easily from university, I had no involvement with the
process.
When Vodafone finally dropped Demon, I transferred to Namesco without
actually understanding the practicalities.

Various bits have been added by Namesco at further cost so I wonder if
someone could kindly fill in some of my knowledge gaps:-)

Apparently I am paying for two mail services but only using one (tim@).

marford.uk.com is billed as a domain but not used for any business
activities.

Authenticated SMTP access?

This Latin is Greek to me!
--
Tim Lamb

Re: OT Advice

<bVP71nBWxY$lFw0r@brattleho.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127461&group=uk.d-i-y#127461

From: ianREMOVETHISjackson@g3ohx.co.uk (Ian Jackson)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: OT Advice
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 13:49:10 +0000
 by: Ian Jackson - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 13:49 UTC

In message <ClJAQSVh0X$lFwk5@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb
<tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> writes
>Back in 1995 or so, when my daughter got me signed up with Demon so she
>could communicate easily from university, I had no involvement with the
>process.
>When Vodafone finally dropped Demon, I transferred to Namesco without
>actually understanding the practicalities.
>
>Various bits have been added by Namesco at further cost so I wonder if
>someone could kindly fill in some of my knowledge gaps:-)
>
>Apparently I am paying for two mail services but only using one (tim@).
>
>marford.uk.com is billed as a domain but not used for any business
>activities.
>
>Authenticated SMTP access?
>
>This Latin is Greek to me!

Yes - Namesco is distinctly impenetrable.

Like you I was a refugee from Demon, and took out a domain and email
address from Namesco. This allows you to send and receive via webmail,
but if you add it to an email client (such as Thunderbird), you can only
receive.

As I have acquired several email addresses, I have never really needed
my Namesco address - but as I have just had to pay my three-year
subscription, I finally decided to take the plunge, pay for a year's sub
for access to the Authenticated SMTP server, and have a go to see if I
could the sending through Thunderbird to work.

As I think you realise, it essentially involves paying extra to get
access to the SMTP server. After a bit of Googling (and a bit of trial
and error) I seem to have got it to work. I have since realised that it
is very similar to using my other email addresses - such as Outlook,
Hotmail, Yahoo, Plusnet etc (please don't ask why so many!).

As it was only yesterday evening that I got things working, I have not
yet found out how many Namesco email addresses and mail boxes you get
for your money.
--
Ian
Aims and ambitions are neither attainments nor achievements

Re: OT Advice

<l65h2gF8qlhU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127462&group=uk.d-i-y#127462

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 13:57:40 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 13:57 UTC

Tim Lamb wrote:
> marford.uk.com is billed as a domain but not used for any business
> activities.
.uk.com domains have always been a bit of a rip-off (£27/year instead of
about £10 for "proper" .uk domains, e.g. you could get m#####d.uk and/or
m#####d.co.uk for the lower price (nobody currently has them registered)

Re: OT Advice

<yigLN.2523190$tl1.1973020@fx03.ams4>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127464&group=uk.d-i-y#127464

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: not@for.mail (fred)
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 14:09:34 GMT
 by: fred - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 14:09 UTC

Ian Jackson <ianREMOVETHISjackson@g3ohx.co.uk> wrote in

> In message <ClJAQSVh0X$lFwk5@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb
> <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> writes
>>Back in 1995 or so, when my daughter got me signed up with Demon so
>>she could communicate easily from university, I had no involvement
>>with the process.
>>When Vodafone finally dropped Demon, I transferred to Namesco without
>>actually understanding the practicalities.
>>
>>Various bits have been added by Namesco at further cost so I wonder if
>>someone could kindly fill in some of my knowledge gaps:-)
>>
>>Apparently I am paying for two mail services but only using one
>>(tim@).
>>
>>marford.uk.com is billed as a domain but not used for any business
>>activities.
>>
>>Authenticated SMTP access?
>>
>>This Latin is Greek to me!
>
> Yes - Namesco is distinctly impenetrable.
>
> Like you I was a refugee from Demon, and took out a domain and email
> address from Namesco. This allows you to send and receive via webmail,
> but if you add it to an email client (such as Thunderbird), you can
> only receive.

Namesco user here and that is not my expereince I can send/receive from a
regular email client (although not tried Thunderbird).

This _may_ help:

https://www.names.co.uk/support/articles/how-to-set-up-a-imap-account-in-
mozilla-thunderbird/

link may need rebuilt.

Re: OT Advice

<utk633$2vu5l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127470&group=uk.d-i-y#127470

From: see.my.signature@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 14:54:26 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 14:54 UTC

On 22/03/2024 12:44, Tim Lamb wrote:
> Back in 1995 or so, when my daughter got me signed up with Demon so she
> could communicate easily from university, I had no involvement with the
> process.
> When Vodafone finally dropped Demon, I transferred to Namesco without
> actually understanding the practicalities.
>
> Various bits have been added by Namesco at further cost so I wonder if
> someone could kindly fill in some of my knowledge gaps:-)
>
> Apparently I am paying for two mail services but only using one (tim@).

Many mail providers charge "per mailbox" per month/year. You can usually
think of that as somewhat akin to per email address, although you can
often have other addresses (sometimes known as an "alias" or "forward")
that will work like an email address, but deliver received mail into
your mailbox.

So in many cases you can make do with one mailbox, even if you want
several addresses that all ultimately come to you.

How much are they charging for their mail service and the SMTP access?

> marford.uk.com is billed as a domain but not used for any business
> activities.

A domain does not have to be for business - it can be for personal use
as well.

The advantage of having your own domain is that the domain name is
"yours" and you can take it wherever you like... So if you have
tim@mydomain.com, then you can connect that back to your namesco
mailbox, and send/receive email. If in the future you decided to use a
different provider, then you can reconnect your domains email handling
to the new one, and the world will be none the wiser.

(whereas if you use an email address with the ISPs name included in it,
and decide to change broadband provider, you may not be able to carry on
using that email address (or would need to pay a fee to use it))

> Authenticated SMTP access?

SMTP - Simple Mail Transfer Protocol, is the way much email is sent on
the internet. Typically you would expect if you rent a mailbox from an
ISP, that would come with included access to SMTP as well as IMAP and
POP3. It sounds like they are billing extra for it.

(the authenticated bit just means that your mail software needs to pass
a username and password to the mail server before it is allowed to send
email. Older style SMTP installs may not have supported authentication
which meant they usually restricted access to it to users connecting via
the ISP network only)

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: OT Advice

<l65magFad98U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127481&group=uk.d-i-y#127481

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 15:27:12 +0000
 by: alan_m - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 15:27 UTC

On 22/03/2024 13:49, Ian Jackson wrote:
> In message <ClJAQSVh0X$lFwk5@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb
> <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> writes
>> Back in 1995 or so, when my daughter got me signed up with Demon so
>> she could communicate easily from university, I had no involvement
>> with the process.
>> When Vodafone finally dropped Demon, I transferred to Namesco without
>> actually understanding the practicalities.
>>
>> Various bits have been added by Namesco at further cost so I wonder if
>> someone could kindly fill in some of my knowledge gaps:-)
>>
>> Apparently I am paying for two mail services but only using one (tim@).
>>
>> marford.uk.com is billed as a domain but not used for any business
>> activities.
>>
>> Authenticated SMTP access?
>>
>> This Latin is Greek to me!
>
> Yes - Namesco is distinctly impenetrable.
>
> Like you I was a refugee from Demon, and took out a domain and email
> address from Namesco. This allows you to send and receive via webmail,
> but if you add it to an email client (such as Thunderbird), you can only
> receive.
>
> As I have acquired several email addresses, I have never really needed
> my Namesco address - but as I have just had to pay my three-year
> subscription, I finally decided to take the plunge, pay for a year's sub
> for access to the Authenticated SMTP server, and have a go to see if I
> could the sending through Thunderbird to work.
>
> As I think you realise, it essentially involves paying extra to get
> access to the SMTP server. After a bit of Googling (and a bit of trial
> and error) I seem to have got it to work. I have since realised that it
> is very similar to using my other email addresses - such as Outlook,
> Hotmail, Yahoo, Plusnet etc (please don't ask why so many!).
>
> As it was only yesterday evening that I got things working, I have not
> yet found out how many Namesco email addresses and mail boxes you get
> for your money.

As Zen are dropping their (inclusive in a broadband contract) email
server services for new users and it's probably only a matter of time
before they drop the service for existing customers. Currently existing
customers can carry on using the email servers as before. I suspect that
if you change contract you effectively become a new customer with
respect to legacy email.

Zen have already dropped their "free" customer web space.

I too have a domain on Namesco and I'm thinking of subscribing to their
email service and from what I read you should be able to use unlimited
names before the @ in your domain name.

quote
"You may add as many aliases as you like for a single mailbox, any
emails sent to any of the aliases will be delivered to that mailbox."

The single mailbox being your domian mail box

They also seem to offer a free lite email service. I haven't seen how
much memory is allocated to this free service so it may be restrictive
if you have gone paperless and now receive finacial etc. reports or
large detailed statements via email.

https://www.names.co.uk/support/articles/setting-up-litemail-on-your-domain/

That article suggest you also need to pay for a Authenticated SMTP
add-on but I'm not sure that this is required to send/receive email from
Thuderbird/Pegasus etc.

Re: OT Advice

<l65mosFad98U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127482&group=uk.d-i-y#127482

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 15:34:52 +0000
 by: alan_m - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 15:34 UTC

On 22/03/2024 15:27, alan_m wrote:

> That article suggest you also need to pay for a Authenticated SMTP
> add-on but I'm not sure that this is required to send/receive email from
> Thuderbird/Pegasus etc.

I possibly didn't understand fully what I read some time ago

https://www.names.co.uk/support/articles/what-is-authenticated-smtp/

Re: OT Advice

<l65t47FblgrU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127507&group=uk.d-i-y#127507

From: tim@streater.me.uk (Tim Streater)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 22 Mar 2024 17:23:19 GMT
 by: Tim Streater - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 17:23 UTC

On 22 Mar 2024 at 12:44:17 GMT, "Tim Lamb" <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

> Back in 1995 or so, when my daughter got me signed up with Demon so she
> could communicate easily from university, I had no involvement with the
> process.
> When Vodafone finally dropped Demon, I transferred to Namesco without
> actually understanding the practicalities.
>
> Various bits have been added by Namesco at further cost so I wonder if
> someone could kindly fill in some of my knowledge gaps:-)
>
> Apparently I am paying for two mail services but only using one (tim@).

I went with a hosting company (mythic-beasts.co.uk) and paid for a domain for
my use (Plusnet provides the transfer of the bits). So there's an annual fee
for "owning" a domain, and an annual fee for M-B to host it - but in that
second annual fee, I can have as many domains hosted as I like. With the
hosting come as many mail addresses as I feel like setting up with them, all
included. With that you get SMTP, POP3 (and I suppose IMAP but I don't use
that). Plus I could set up a web site for any domain I "own", too. Which I do
for a couple of others.

> marford.uk.com is billed as a domain but not used for any business
> activities.

Tell 'em to cancel it then.

--
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."
-- Christopher Hitchens

Re: OT Advice

<l65t8eFbm1bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127508&group=uk.d-i-y#127508

From: tim@streater.me.uk (Tim Streater)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 22 Mar 2024 17:25:34 GMT
 by: Tim Streater - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 17:25 UTC

On 22 Mar 2024 at 15:27:12 GMT, "alan_m" <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> quote
> "You may add as many aliases as you like for a single mailbox, any
> emails sent to any of the aliases will be delivered to that mailbox."
>
> The single mailbox being your domian mail box

Fine if you don't mind everyone of the list of aliases getting all the mail.
These are not, IOW, separate email accounts. Just teh one with aliases.

--
"The EU Customs Union is a racket that defends producers in rich countries against producers in poor countries."

Jacob Rees-Mogg MP

Re: OT Advice

<l65tcsFbmgsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127509&group=uk.d-i-y#127509

From: tim@streater.me.uk (Tim Streater)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 22 Mar 2024 17:27:56 GMT
 by: Tim Streater - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 17:27 UTC

On 22 Mar 2024 at 15:34:52 GMT, "alan_m" <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> On 22/03/2024 15:27, alan_m wrote:
>
>> That article suggest you also need to pay for a Authenticated SMTP
>> add-on but I'm not sure that this is required to send/receive email from
>> Thuderbird/Pegasus etc.
>>

> I possibly didn't understand fully what I read some time ago
>
> https://www.names.co.uk/support/articles/what-is-authenticated-smtp/

Sounds to me like the ordinary SMTP that everyone else provides - except they
make it sound special when it isn't.

--
If your experiment needs statistics, you ought to have done a better experiment.

Ernest Rutherford

Re: OT Advice

<lex5egeCve$lFwSr@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127537&group=uk.d-i-y#127537

From: tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 20:36:18 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 20:36 UTC

In message <l65h2gF8qlhU1@mid.individual.net>, Andy Burns
<usenet@andyburns.uk> writes
>Tim Lamb wrote:
>
>> marford.uk.com is billed as a domain but not used for any business
>>activities.
>
>.uk.com domains have always been a bit of a rip-off (£27/year instead
>of about £10 for "proper" .uk domains, e.g. you could get m#####d.uk
>and/or m#####d.co.uk for the lower price (nobody currently has them
>registered)

In the Demon days, it was useful to store data there and give others
access. Apart from photos, I have no need for such storage now. I keep
meaning to get fully to grips with John's d-i-y wiki but the moment
never arrives:-)

I don't hugely benefit from the 2 GB of storage apart from holiday
access as I save wanted mails on my desktop.

If I dump the domain bit, can I keep the e-mail service?

--
Tim Lamb

Re: OT Advice

<CvNgS7bxee$lFw0W@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127538&group=uk.d-i-y#127538

From: tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 20:18:57 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 20:18 UTC

In message <l65t47FblgrU1@mid.individual.net>, Tim Streater
<tim@streater.me.uk> writes
>On 22 Mar 2024 at 12:44:17 GMT, "Tim Lamb" <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>
>wrote:
>
>> Back in 1995 or so, when my daughter got me signed up with Demon so she
>> could communicate easily from university, I had no involvement with the
>> process.
>> When Vodafone finally dropped Demon, I transferred to Namesco without
>> actually understanding the practicalities.
>>
>> Various bits have been added by Namesco at further cost so I wonder if
>> someone could kindly fill in some of my knowledge gaps:-)
>>
>> Apparently I am paying for two mail services but only using one (tim@).
>
>I went with a hosting company (mythic-beasts.co.uk) and paid for a domain for
>my use (Plusnet provides the transfer of the bits). So there's an annual fee
>for "owning" a domain, and an annual fee for M-B to host it - but in that
>second annual fee, I can have as many domains hosted as I like. With the
>hosting come as many mail addresses as I feel like setting up with them, all
>included. With that you get SMTP, POP3 (and I suppose IMAP but I don't use
>that). Plus I could set up a web site for any domain I "own", too. Which I do
>for a couple of others.
>
>> marford.uk.com is billed as a domain but not used for any business
>> activities.
>
>Tell 'em to cancel it then.

I may do that! Namesco are not cheap.

domain cost £57.99, Authenticated SMTP £35.99 and two x 2GB mailboxes
(GEN 2) at £65.89!

--
Tim Lamb

Re: OT Advice

<vOe7qff$6e$lFwzC@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127539&group=uk.d-i-y#127539

From: tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 20:49:03 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 20:49 UTC

In message <utk633$2vu5l$1@dont-email.me>, John Rumm
<see.my.signature@nowhere.null> writes
>On 22/03/2024 12:44, Tim Lamb wrote:
>> Back in 1995 or so, when my daughter got me signed up with Demon so
>>she could communicate easily from university, I had no involvement
>>with the process.
>> When Vodafone finally dropped Demon, I transferred to Namesco without
>>actually understanding the practicalities.
>> Various bits have been added by Namesco at further cost so I wonder
>>if someone could kindly fill in some of my knowledge gaps:-)
>> Apparently I am paying for two mail services but only using one
>>(tim@).
>
>Many mail providers charge "per mailbox" per month/year. You can
>usually think of that as somewhat akin to per email address, although
>you can often have other addresses (sometimes known as an "alias" or
>"forward") that will work like an email address, but deliver received
>mail into your mailbox.
>
>So in many cases you can make do with one mailbox, even if you want
>several addresses that all ultimately come to you.
>
>How much are they charging for their mail service and the SMTP access?

Lots! 12 months SMTP access £35.99. Mail £65.89 (2x 2GB Mailboxes (GEN
2)

>> marford.uk.com is billed as a domain but not used for any business
>>activities.
>
>A domain does not have to be for business - it can be for personal use
>as well.
>
>The advantage of having your own domain is that the domain name is
>"yours" and you can take it wherever you like... So if you have
>tim@mydomain.com, then you can connect that back to your namesco
>mailbox, and send/receive email. If in the future you decided to use a
>different provider, then you can reconnect your domains email handling
>to the new one, and the world will be none the wiser.
But.. If I am paying annually it doesn't seem that I own anything!
£57.99!

--
Tim Lamb

Re: OT Advice

<oS4HEeBKMf$lFwjk@brattleho.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127541&group=uk.d-i-y#127541

From: ianREMOVETHISjackson@g3ohx.co.uk (Ian Jackson)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 21:07:22 +0000
 by: Ian Jackson - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 21:07 UTC

In message <yigLN.2523190$tl1.1973020@fx03.ams4>, fred <not@for.mail>
writes
>Ian Jackson <ianREMOVETHISjackson@g3ohx.co.uk> wrote in
>
>> In message <ClJAQSVh0X$lFwk5@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb
>> <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> writes
>>>Back in 1995 or so, when my daughter got me signed up with Demon so
>>>she could communicate easily from university, I had no involvement
>>>with the process.
>>>When Vodafone finally dropped Demon, I transferred to Namesco without
>>>actually understanding the practicalities.
>>>
>>>Various bits have been added by Namesco at further cost so I wonder if
>>>someone could kindly fill in some of my knowledge gaps:-)
>>>
>>>Apparently I am paying for two mail services but only using one
>>>(tim@).
>>>
>>>marford.uk.com is billed as a domain but not used for any business
>>>activities.
>>>
>>>Authenticated SMTP access?
>>>
>>>This Latin is Greek to me!
>>
>> Yes - Namesco is distinctly impenetrable.
>>
>> Like you I was a refugee from Demon, and took out a domain and email
>> address from Namesco. This allows you to send and receive via webmail,
>> but if you add it to an email client (such as Thunderbird), you can
>> only receive.
>>

>Namesco user here and that is not my expereince I can send/receive from a
>regular email client (although not tried Thunderbird).
>
>This _may_ help:
>
>https://www.names.co.uk/support/articles/how-to-set-up-a-imap-account-in-
>mozilla-thunderbird/
>
>link may need rebuilt.

Try
https://shorturl.at/ghim9
OK on your 'free send'. The info for Thunderbird contains the following:
"Outgoing mailserver (SMTP) – your SMTP server will be
smtp.hosts.co.uk only if you your have purchased Authenticated SMTP
Access, if you need to purchase this product please contact our Sales
team on 0345 363 363 2"

You don't have to call them. Instead, you can pay for the access (around
£40 for one year) via the webmail control panel.

The other set-up parameters are essentially similar to those of the
other (around ten at the last count!) email accounts I have in
Thunderbird.
--
Ian
Aims and ambitions are neither attainments nor achievements

Re: OT Advice

<utkt7g$35h3d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127542&group=uk.d-i-y#127542

From: see.my.signature@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 21:29:19 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 21:29 UTC

On 22/03/2024 20:49, Tim Lamb wrote:
> In message <utk633$2vu5l$1@dont-email.me>, John Rumm
> <see.my.signature@nowhere.null> writes
>> On 22/03/2024 12:44, Tim Lamb wrote:
>>> Back in 1995 or so, when my daughter got me signed up with Demon so
>>> she  could communicate easily from university, I had no involvement
>>> with the  process.
>>> When Vodafone finally dropped Demon, I transferred to Namesco without
>>> actually understanding the practicalities.
>>>  Various bits have been added by Namesco at further cost so I wonder
>>> if  someone could kindly fill in some of my knowledge gaps:-)
>>>  Apparently I am paying for two mail services but only using one (tim@).
>>
>> Many mail providers charge "per mailbox" per month/year. You can
>> usually think of that as somewhat akin to per email address, although
>> you can often have other addresses (sometimes known as an "alias" or
>> "forward") that will work like an email address, but deliver received
>> mail into your mailbox.
>>
>> So in many cases you can make do with one mailbox, even if you want
>> several addresses that all ultimately come to you.
>>
>> How much are they charging for their mail service and the SMTP access?
>
> Lots! 12 months SMTP access £35.99. Mail £65.89 (2x 2GB Mailboxes (GEN 2)

Strewth!

I can do you 2 x 25GB mailboxes, SMTP, POP3, & IMAP, unlimited
forwarders and aliases for £55 / year

(and half that if you only need one mailbox - since you can use aliases
to create any number of other email addresses)

>>> marford.uk.com is billed as a domain but not used for any business
>>> activities.
>>
>> A domain does not have to be for business - it can be for personal use
>> as well.
>>
>> The advantage of having your own domain is that the domain name is
>> "yours" and you can take it wherever you like... So if you have
>> tim@mydomain.com, then you can connect that back to your namesco
>> mailbox, and send/receive email. If in the future you decided to use a
>> different provider, then you can reconnect your domains email handling
>> to the new one, and the world will be none the wiser.

> But.. If I am paying annually it doesn't seem that I own anything! £57.99!

Well "own" as in you control the name and can keep it as long as you
like (so long as you keep renting it). So you can swap about the
services you use whenever you like since you don't have a part of your
current providers identity included your email address.

BTW, most "normal" domains are typically only £10-£25 / year (although
..uk.com is an "odd" domain in the sense that it is actually just a sub
domain of uk.com, and the company that controls uk.com resells sub
domains on it at quite a price premium).

Having said that you can move them to a handful of different registrars.
Heart Internet want ~£40/year for them.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: OT Advice

<utktj3$35h3d$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127544&group=uk.d-i-y#127544

From: see.my.signature@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 21:35:31 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 21:35 UTC

On 22/03/2024 15:34, alan_m wrote:
> On 22/03/2024 15:27, alan_m wrote:
>
>> That article suggest you also need to pay for a Authenticated SMTP
>> add-on but I'm not sure that this is required to send/receive email
>> from Thuderbird/Pegasus etc.
>>

> I possibly didn't understand fully what I read some time ago
>
> https://www.names.co.uk/support/articles/what-is-authenticated-smtp/

"We do not include the Authenticated SMTP service as standard, and this
is reflected in the cost of our email packages"

Yes, we have reduced the functionality and charged you double.

"By not including it, we can offer a more cost effective email service
for those who are happy to just use our free WebMail."

Where "more cost effective" means we charge as much for SMTP to go with
your expensive tiny mailbox, than the cost that many will do you a
larger mailbox including SMTP as standard!

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: OT Advice

<utktph$35h3d$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127545&group=uk.d-i-y#127545

From: see.my.signature@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 21:38:57 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 21:38 UTC

On 22/03/2024 17:27, Tim Streater wrote:
> On 22 Mar 2024 at 15:34:52 GMT, "alan_m" <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 22/03/2024 15:27, alan_m wrote:
>>
>>> That article suggest you also need to pay for a Authenticated SMTP
>>> add-on but I'm not sure that this is required to send/receive email from
>>> Thuderbird/Pegasus etc.
>>>

>> I possibly didn't understand fully what I read some time ago
>>
>> https://www.names.co.uk/support/articles/what-is-authenticated-smtp/
>
> Sounds to me like the ordinary SMTP that everyone else provides - except they
> make it sound special when it isn't.

Well a couple of decades ago it would have been "slightly" special.
Authentication was a later extension to the SMTP protocol. So when
provided by Demon in the early days you did not need to (and probably
could not) authenticate to use it, but you did need to connect to it
from their network.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: OT Advice

<utktso$35h3d$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127546&group=uk.d-i-y#127546

From: see.my.signature@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 21:40:40 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 21:40 UTC

On 22/03/2024 17:25, Tim Streater wrote:
> On 22 Mar 2024 at 15:27:12 GMT, "alan_m" <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> quote
>> "You may add as many aliases as you like for a single mailbox, any
>> emails sent to any of the aliases will be delivered to that mailbox."
>>
>> The single mailbox being your domian mail box
>
> Fine if you don't mind everyone of the list of aliases getting all the mail.
> These are not, IOW, separate email accounts. Just teh one with aliases.

If you can do forwarding (rather than aliases) you could point the
address to a free mail service like gmail etc. So you can create
multiple addresses that each have their own mailbox - just that the
mailbox is with a third party.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: OT Advice

<utkuau$35h3d$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127547&group=uk.d-i-y#127547

From: see.my.signature@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 21:48:14 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 21:48 UTC

On 22/03/2024 20:36, Tim Lamb wrote:
> In message <l65h2gF8qlhU1@mid.individual.net>, Andy Burns
> <usenet@andyburns.uk> writes
>> Tim Lamb wrote:
>>
>>> marford.uk.com is billed as a domain but not used for any business
>>> activities.
>>
>> .uk.com domains have always been a bit of a rip-off (£27/year instead
>> of about £10 for "proper" .uk domains, e.g. you could get m#####d.uk
>> and/or m#####d.co.uk for the lower price (nobody currently has them
>> registered)
>
> In the Demon days, it was useful to store data there and give others
> access. Apart from photos, I have no need for such storage now. I keep
> meaning to get fully to grips with John's d-i-y wiki but the moment
> never arrives:-)

Not really "my" wiki as such - I just give it hosting space :-)

These days it does not need much getting to grips with either - the
article editor is much like a basic word processor these days - you no
longer need to use wiki markup to play with articles.

And to upload a file just go to:

https://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Special:Upload

> I don't hugely benefit from the 2 GB of storage apart from holiday
> access as I save wanted mails on my desktop.

Storage for POP3 access is indeed not that important unless you also
leave a copy of messages on the server. However if you want IMAP, then
it matters far more.

(with IMAP you can easily share the mail between devices, and they all
stay in sync. You also typically get webmail, so that you can access
your email from anywhere)

> If I dump the domain bit, can I keep the e-mail service?

Possibly, but you would lose your current email address (assuming it is
on that domain).

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: OT Advice

<l66d66Fe0heU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127548&group=uk.d-i-y#127548

From: tim@streater.me.uk (Tim Streater)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 22 Mar 2024 21:57:26 GMT
 by: Tim Streater - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 21:57 UTC

On 22 Mar 2024 at 20:18:57 GMT, "Tim Lamb" <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

> In message <l65t47FblgrU1@mid.individual.net>, Tim Streater
> <tim@streater.me.uk> writes
>> On 22 Mar 2024 at 12:44:17 GMT, "Tim Lamb" <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Back in 1995 or so, when my daughter got me signed up with Demon so she
>>> could communicate easily from university, I had no involvement with the
>>> process.
>>> When Vodafone finally dropped Demon, I transferred to Namesco without
>>> actually understanding the practicalities.
>>>
>>> Various bits have been added by Namesco at further cost so I wonder if
>>> someone could kindly fill in some of my knowledge gaps:-)
>>>
>>> Apparently I am paying for two mail services but only using one (tim@).
>>
>> I went with a hosting company (mythic-beasts.co.uk) and paid for a domain for
>> my use (Plusnet provides the transfer of the bits). So there's an annual fee
>> for "owning" a domain, and an annual fee for M-B to host it - but in that
>> second annual fee, I can have as many domains hosted as I like. With the
>> hosting come as many mail addresses as I feel like setting up with them, all
>> included. With that you get SMTP, POP3 (and I suppose IMAP but I don't use
>> that). Plus I could set up a web site for any domain I "own", too. Which I do
>> for a couple of others.
>>
>>> marford.uk.com is billed as a domain but not used for any business
>>> activities.
>>
>> Tell 'em to cancel it then.
>
> I may do that! Namesco are not cheap.
>
> domain cost £57.99

Rip off. As has already been said, £10 to £15 or so per year is about right.

> Authenticated SMTP £35.99 and two x 2GB mailboxes (GEN 2) at £65.89!

I then pay £30/year (inc VAT) for the hosting which includes 5GB disk for all
purposes and 100Gbyes/month of traffic with unlimited email addresses for all
my domains. And I can host one database (probably mySQL or similar, I've not
looked into that).
First, find out who are the people you can not criticise. They are your
oppressors. - George Orwell

Re: OT Advice

<4WxLN.974549$mUo.546952@fx08.ams4>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127555&group=uk.d-i-y#127555

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: not@for.mail (fred)
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 10:12:16 GMT
 by: fred - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 10:12 UTC

> In message <yigLN.2523190$tl1.1973020@fx03.ams4>, fred <not@for.mail>
> writes
>>
>>Namesco user here and that is not my expereince I can send/receive
>>from a regular email client (although not tried Thunderbird).
>>
>>This _may_ help:
>>
>>https://www.names.co.uk/support/articles/how-to-set-up-a-imap-account-i
>>n- mozilla-thunderbird/
>>
>>link may need rebuilt.
>>

> Try
> https://shorturl.at/ghim9

I normally use tinyurl with the preview option so that users get
to see the final destination and know it is safe before continuing eg.:

https://tinyurl.com/preview/<shortlink>

but this time the f'ckrs added an affiliate link to the namesco one so I
binned it.

Looking at shorturl.at they don't appear to offer a safe preview option.
Does anyone know of aonother shortlink provider that does?

Re: OT Advice

<QlsEAnh2rq$lFwXy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127559&group=uk.d-i-y#127559

From: tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 10:12:06 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 10:12 UTC

In message <utkt7g$35h3d$1@dont-email.me>, John Rumm
<see.my.signature@nowhere.null> writes
>On 22/03/2024 20:49, Tim Lamb wrote:
>> In message <utk633$2vu5l$1@dont-email.me>, John Rumm
>><see.my.signature@nowhere.null> writes
>>>
>>> Many mail providers charge "per mailbox" per month/year. You can
>>>usually think of that as somewhat akin to per email address, although
>>>you can often have other addresses (sometimes known as an "alias" or
>>>"forward") that will work like an email address, but deliver received
>>>mail into your mailbox.
>>>
>>> So in many cases you can make do with one mailbox, even if you want
>>>several addresses that all ultimately come to you.
>>>
>>> How much are they charging for their mail service and the SMTP access?
>> Lots! 12 months SMTP access £35.99. Mail £65.89 (2x 2GB Mailboxes
>>(GEN 2)
>
>Strewth!
>
>I can do you 2 x 25GB mailboxes, SMTP, POP3, & IMAP, unlimited
>forwarders and aliases for £55 / year
>
>(and half that if you only need one mailbox - since you can use aliases
>to create any number of other email addresses)

>>> A domain does not have to be for business - it can be for personal
>>>use as well.
>>>
>>> The advantage of having your own domain is that the domain name is
>>>"yours" and you can take it wherever you like... So if you have
>>>tim@mydomain.com, then you can connect that back to your namesco
>>>mailbox, and send/receive email. If in the future you decided to use
>>>a different provider, then you can reconnect your domains email
>>>handling to the new one, and the world will be none the wiser.
>
>> But.. If I am paying annually it doesn't seem that I own anything! £57.99!
>
>Well "own" as in you control the name and can keep it as long as you
>like (so long as you keep renting it). So you can swap about the
>services you use whenever you like since you don't have a part of your
>current providers identity included your email address.
>
>BTW, most "normal" domains are typically only £10-£25 / year (although
>.uk.com is an "odd" domain in the sense that it is actually just a sub
>domain of uk.com, and the company that controls uk.com resells sub
>domains on it at quite a price premium).
>
>Having said that you can move them to a handful of different
>registrars. Heart Internet want ~£40/year for them.

Hmm. It seems I need the Authenticated SMTP access, do not want to
change my mail address so can't dump the domain.
The only possible saving is if they are charging for each mail box:-(

Not much of a consideration when it was a chargeable business expense.

Slight upside. Namesco throw in Webmail without appearing to charge!

--
Tim Lamb

Re: OT Advice

<20240323102648.23294d03@jrenewsid.jretrading.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127560&group=uk.d-i-y#127560

From: joe@jretrading.com (Joe)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 10:26:48 +0000
 by: Joe - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 10:26 UTC

On Fri, 22 Mar 2024 21:38:57 +0000
John Rumm <see.my.signature@nowhere.null> wrote:

> On 22/03/2024 17:27, Tim Streater wrote:
> > On 22 Mar 2024 at 15:34:52 GMT, "alan_m" <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk>
> > wrote:

> >> I possibly didn't understand fully what I read some time ago
> >>
> >> https://www.names.co.uk/support/articles/what-is-authenticated-smtp/
> >>

> > Sounds to me like the ordinary SMTP that everyone else provides -
> > except they make it sound special when it isn't.
>
> Well a couple of decades ago it would have been "slightly" special.
> Authentication was a later extension to the SMTP protocol. So when
> provided by Demon in the early days you did not need to (and probably
> could not) authenticate to use it, but you did need to connect to it
> from their network.

Demon was a bit different in that they gave you software to use
(Turnpike) which was itself an SMTP server, not just a POP3 client as
everyone else used. When you made the connection to their network,
their SMTP server was given a nudge to send what it had collected to
your Turnpike.

I don't think any other ISP used that kind of system. It took a few
years for Demon to set up POP3 access, as I recall.

--
Joe

Re: OT Advice

<l67ub1Fl3slU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127569&group=uk.d-i-y#127569

From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 23 Mar 2024 11:56:17 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 11:56 UTC

fred <not@for.mail> wrote:
> Ian Jackson <ianREMOVETHISjackson@g3ohx.co.uk> wrote in
>
>> In message <ClJAQSVh0X$lFwk5@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb
>> <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> writes
>>> Back in 1995 or so, when my daughter got me signed up with Demon so
>>> she could communicate easily from university, I had no involvement
>>> with the process.
>>> When Vodafone finally dropped Demon, I transferred to Namesco without
>>> actually understanding the practicalities.
>>>
>>> Various bits have been added by Namesco at further cost so I wonder if
>>> someone could kindly fill in some of my knowledge gaps:-)
>>>
>>> Apparently I am paying for two mail services but only using one
>>> (tim@).
>>>
>>> marford.uk.com is billed as a domain but not used for any business
>>> activities.
>>>
>>> Authenticated SMTP access?
>>>
>>> This Latin is Greek to me!
>>
>> Yes - Namesco is distinctly impenetrable.
>>
>> Like you I was a refugee from Demon, and took out a domain and email
>> address from Namesco. This allows you to send and receive via webmail,
>> but if you add it to an email client (such as Thunderbird), you can
>> only receive.
>>

> Namesco user here and that is not my expereince I can send/receive from a
> regular email client (although not tried Thunderbird).
>
> This _may_ help:
>
> https://www.names.co.uk/support/articles/how-to-set-up-a-imap-account-in-
> mozilla-thunderbird/
>
> link may need rebuilt.

Try pasting into carets:

<https://www.names.co.uk/support/articles/how-to-set-up-a-imap-account-in-mozilla-thunderbird/>

--
Spike

Re: OT Advice

<l681jmFljrdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127571&group=uk.d-i-y#127571

From: tim@streater.me.uk (Tim Streater)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 23 Mar 2024 12:52:06 GMT
 by: Tim Streater - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 12:52 UTC

On 22 Mar 2024 at 21:48:14 GMT, "John Rumm" <see.my.signature@nowhere.null>
wrote:

> (with IMAP you can easily share the mail between devices, and they all
> stay in sync. You also typically get webmail, so that you can access
> your email from anywhere)

You can almost do the same with POP3. You just have to be careful to make sure
that only one of your devices which you use to login to your POP3 account, is
configured to delete the mails from the server. The other should all be set to
never delete from server. That's how I run my email and it's good enough for
me.

It's also the reason why I decided I couldn't be arsed to implement either
IMAP or OAUTH2 in my email client. And no user of it has complained so far. In
any case - my email client, my rules.

--
Socialism only works in two places: Heaven where they don't need it, and Hell where they already have it.

Ronald Reagan