From: noinv@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: OT Changing Mobile Phone provider
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 15:46:49 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:c+ykKHIo/yAjFNlYr2JeFQ/ae2s=
 by: Brian - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 15:46 UTC

We are considering changing mobile phone provider.

I understand we need to obtain the ‘code’ from our current provider if we
wish to keep our current numbers ( we change at short notice without
penalty so that isn’t a concern).

We give the code to the new provider.

What isn’t clear, is the actual process.

Do I, get a new SIM with a new, number, put in the phone.

For a short while use the new number ( I understand the process is quick)

The new provider remotely then changes my new SIM to the old number.

In the past, we’ve changed provider a couple of times but never kept the
old number. Back then, we didn’t use our mobiles that much.

Re: OT Changing Mobile Phone provider

<sgo0dkxi5m.ln2@news.ducksburg.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127501&group=uk.d-i-y#127501

From: a24061a@ducksburg.com (Adam Funk)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: OT Changing Mobile Phone provider
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 16:34:04 +0000
 by: Adam Funk - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 16:34 UTC

On 2024-03-22, Brian wrote:

> We are considering changing mobile phone provider.
>
> I understand we need to obtain the ‘code’ from our current provider if we
> wish to keep our current numbers ( we change at short notice without
> penalty so that isn’t a concern).
>
> We give the code to the new provider.
>
> What isn’t clear, is the actual process.
>
> Do I, get a new SIM with a new, number, put in the phone.
>
> For a short while use the new number ( I understand the process is quick)
>
> The new provider remotely then changes my new SIM to the old number.

Get a PAC from the current provider.

Sign up with the new provider and ask to port your number; you give
them the current phone number and the PAC and a transfer date (it has
to be at least a certain number of days into the future, something
like 5).

You can put the new SIM in the phone when you get it, but you
won't receive calls/texts to the old number until it changes over.

Or you can hold onto the new SIM until the old one stops working, then
swap them.

Or if you have a dual-SIM phone or one that takes eSIMs (and your new
provider does those) you can run both SIMs until the number changes
over, then discard the old SIM.

Re: OT Changing Mobile Phone provider

<utkcm4$31edm$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127502&group=uk.d-i-y#127502

From: NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 16:47:01 +0000
 by: GB - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 16:47 UTC

On 22/03/2024 15:46, Brian wrote:

> We are considering changing mobile phone provider.
>
> I understand we need to obtain the ‘code’ from our current provider if we
> wish to keep our current numbers ( we change at short notice without
> penalty so that isn’t a concern).
>
> We give the code to the new provider.
>
> What isn’t clear, is the actual process.
>
> Do I, get a new SIM with a new, number, put in the phone.
>
> For a short while use the new number ( I understand the process is quick)
>
> The new provider remotely then changes my new SIM to the old number.
>

> In the past, we’ve changed provider a couple of times but never kept the
> old number. Back then, we didn’t use our mobiles that much.

I just amused myself by pasting your question into ChatGPT. Here's the
reply:

The process of changing mobile phone providers while keeping your
current phone number, also known as "porting" your number, typically
involves the following steps:

Check Eligibility:

Ensure that your current mobile number is eligible for porting. Most
mobile numbers can be ported, but there are exceptions such as prepaid
numbers that are not eligible in some cases.
Choose a New Provider:

Select the new mobile phone provider that you want to switch to.
Research different providers to find the best plan and coverage for your
needs.
Inform New Provider:

Inform your new mobile phone provider that you want to port your current
number from your old provider. They will guide you through the process
and may require some information from you, such as your current phone
number, account details with the old provider, and any relevant account
PIN or password.
Request Porting Code (PAC or STAC):

Contact your current mobile phone provider and request a Porting
Authorization Code (PAC) or Service Termination Authorization Code
(STAC) depending on whether you want to keep your number or cancel your
service.
The PAC or STAC is a unique code that authorizes the transfer of your
phone number to the new provider. It's usually provided immediately and
remains valid for a certain period, typically 30 days.
Provide Porting Code to New Provider:

Once you receive the porting code from your current provider, provide it
to your new mobile phone provider.
Your new provider will initiate the porting process, which may take a
few hours to complete but can sometimes take up to a couple of days,
depending on the providers involved and any potential complications.
Keep Both Phones Active During Porting:

Keep both your old and new phones active and charged during the porting
process. Your old phone will continue to work until the porting is
complete, at which point your number will be transferred to your new phone.
Confirmation and Testing:

Once the porting process is complete, you will receive confirmation from
your new mobile phone provider. Test your new phone to ensure that
calls, text messages, and data services are functioning correctly.
Cancel Old Service (if applicable):

If you're not canceling your old service, make sure to notify your
previous provider that the porting process is complete, and they can
cancel your service accordingly.
By following these steps, you should be able to successfully switch
mobile phone providers while keeping your current phone number. If you
encounter any issues during the process, don't hesitate to reach out to
your new provider for assistance.

Re: OT Changing Mobile Phone provider

<l67lv0Fjs47U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127553&group=uk.d-i-y#127553

From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 23 Mar 2024 09:33:20 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 09:33 UTC

Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:

> We are considering changing mobile phone provider.
>
> I understand we need to obtain the ‘code’ from our current provider if we
> wish to keep our current numbers ( we change at short notice without
> penalty so that isn’t a concern).
>
> We give the code to the new provider.
>
> What isn’t clear, is the actual process.
>
> Do I, get a new SIM with a new, number, put in the phone.
>
> For a short while use the new number ( I understand the process is quick)
>
> The new provider remotely then changes my new SIM to the old number.

> In the past, we’ve changed provider a couple of times but never kept the
> old number. Back then, we didn’t use our mobiles that much.

Check your intended provider allows porting, just to be on the safe side.

Text PAC to 65705, you’ll receive the code almost immediately. It’s valid
for 30 days.

Get your new SIM from your new provider, this should come with details or a
link to start the porting process. Choose a day for the port to take place.
Either put your new SIM into your phone that morning, or wait for your
current service to cease and insert it then; follow the procedure your new
provider mentions.

Wait for the new service to start, it shouldn’t take long at all.

--
Spike

Re: OT Changing Mobile Phone provider

<l67ngiFk0qvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127554&group=uk.d-i-y#127554

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 09:59:47 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 09:59 UTC

Spike wrote:

> Check your intended provider allows porting, just to be on the safe side.

Number portability is not optional ...

<https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/21/section/51#section-51-2-i>

Re: OT Changing Mobile Phone provider

<l67qv7Fkjj6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127562&group=uk.d-i-y#127562

From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 23 Mar 2024 10:58:47 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 10:58 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> Spike wrote:
>
>> Check your intended provider allows porting, just to be on the safe side.
>
> Number portability is not optional ...
>
> <https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/21/section/51#section-51-2-i>

I’ve recently been looking at other providers, and at least one gave a list
of phone numbers that couldn’t be ported. In the way of these things, I now
can’t find that info :-(

Apologies for the typo, the number to request a PAC is 65075, common to all
mobile providers.

--
Spike

Re: OT Changing Mobile Phone provider

<rkltvil58d8rvma3p362fvsv66c3joukfp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127575&group=uk.d-i-y#127575

From: invalid@invalid.invalid (Roger)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 13:26:40 +0000
 by: Roger - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 13:26 UTC

On 23 Mar 2024 10:58:47 GMT, Spike <aero.spike@mail.com> wrote:

>Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
>> Spike wrote:
>>
>>> Check your intended provider allows porting, just to be on the safe side.
>>
>> Number portability is not optional ...
>>
>> <https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/21/section/51#section-51-2-i>
>
>I’ve recently been looking at other providers, and at least one gave a list
>of phone numbers that couldn’t be ported. In the way of these things, I now
>can’t find that info :-(

Not all numbers which seem to be UK numbers are UK numbers;
think Isle of Man and Channel Islands.
--
Roger