Is a computer language with goto's totally Wirth-less?

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Whoopeedo

SubjectAuthor
* WhoopeedoTim Lamb
+* Re: WhoopeedoThe Natural Philosopher
|`* Re: WhoopeedoTim Lamb
| +* Re: WhoopeedoThe Natural Philosopher
| |`* Re: WhoopeedoTim Lamb
| | +* Re: WhoopeedoAndy Burns
| | |`- Re: WhoopeedoTim Lamb
| | `- Re: WhoopeedoSam Plusnet
| `* Re: WhoopeedoSpike
|  +* Re: WhoopeedoSam Plusnet
|  |+- Re: WhoopeedoSpike
|  |`- Re: WhoopeedoTim Lamb
|  `- Re: Whoopeedotony sayer
`* Re: WhoopeedoJohn Rumm
 `* Re: WhoopeedoTim Lamb
  +* Re: WhoopeedoJohn Rumm
  |+* Re: WhoopeedoTim Lamb
  ||+* Re: WhoopeedoJoe
  |||`- Re: WhoopeedoTim Lamb
  ||+- Re: WhoopeedoJohn Rumm
  ||`- Re: WhoopeedoBob Eager
  |`- Re: WhoopeedoDavey
  `* Re: WhoopeedoAndrew
   `* Re: Whoopeedocharles
    +* Re: WhoopeedoAlan J. Wylie
    |`- Re: WhoopeedoTim Lamb
    +- Re: WhoopeedoThe Natural Philosopher
    `- Re: WhoopeedoAndrew

Pages:12
Whoopeedo

<VS319hzlPpAmFwQQ@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127795&group=uk.d-i-y#127795

From: tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Whoopeedo
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 09:22:45 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 09:22 UTC

OpenReach have just notified me that *ultrafast full fibre* is now
available to my premises!
With 6 months left on my contract with Plusnet and currently an
adequate/reliable 12meg service, how best to proceed?

All advertised services are for new customers only and start at several
hundreds of pounds.

Plusnet want me to phone them!
--
Tim Lamb

Re: Whoopeedo

<utu7hk$1oe2o$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127798&group=uk.d-i-y#127798

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Whoopeedo
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 10:20:36 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 10:20 UTC

On 26/03/2024 09:22, Tim Lamb wrote:
> OpenReach have just notified me that *ultrafast full fibre* is now
> available to my premises!
> With 6 months left on my contract with Plusnet and currently an
> adequate/reliable 12meg service, how best to proceed?
>
> All advertised services are for new customers only and start at several
> hundreds of pounds.
>
> Plusnet want me to phone them!

Try a different ISP, IDnet do not do 'contracts' and the cost to install
is less than a hundred I think

Or a hundred if you do a 12 month contract it seems

https://www.idnet.com/fibreheroes-broadband.php

--
There is nothing a fleet of dispatchable nuclear power plants cannot do
that cannot be done worse and more expensively and with higher carbon

Re: Whoopeedo

<utucm1$1pnvu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127804&group=uk.d-i-y#127804

From: see.my.signature@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 11:48:17 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 11:48 UTC

On 26/03/2024 09:22, Tim Lamb wrote:

> OpenReach have just notified me that *ultrafast full fibre* is now
> available to my premises!
> With 6 months left on my contract with Plusnet and currently an
> adequate/reliable 12meg service, how best to proceed?

Do you still use the phone line/number on the current service?

Do you have a fixed IP on the plusnet service (probably - they are one
of the few that gave them out as standard). If so, do you need to keep
it? (if the answer is "I don't know" then you probably don't!)

Do you need to retain the username.plus.com email address for any reason?

> All advertised services are for new customers only and start at several
> hundreds of pounds.

I would be tempted to go to a different ISP (I would second TNPs
suggestion of IDNet - small ISP still focussed on decent customer service).

You have some options...

Buy whatever FTTP package you want. That then leaves the plusnet service
unaltered. At your convenience you can then cease the broadband on the
plusnet line (just after you have got it working :-) )

You can also then migrate the number to VoIP, accessed via the new FTTP,
and cease the POTS line before it ceases itself anyway.

Or:

Buy new service, but keep plusnet as a backup. Stick dual WAN load
balancing router on the FTTP, and wire in the plusnet ADSL service as a
backup. Configure for "failover" and you then have a fallback if the
FTTP is ever interrupted. (probably not worth the expense unless
internet access is business critical)

At some point plusnet would presumably migrate your POTS line to VoIP
running on whatever their favoured platform is anyway, and run it over
your ADSL service.

> Plusnet want me to phone them!

Might be worth seeing what deal they are prepared to do - they might be
keen to keep a customer.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Whoopeedo

<zxVMVd0vWrAmFwX4@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127805&group=uk.d-i-y#127805

From: tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 11:46:55 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 11:46 UTC

In message <utu7hk$1oe2o$2@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
<tnp@invalid.invalid> writes
>On 26/03/2024 09:22, Tim Lamb wrote:
>> OpenReach have just notified me that *ultrafast full fibre* is now
>>available to my premises!
>> With 6 months left on my contract with Plusnet and currently an
>>adequate/reliable 12meg service, how best to proceed?
>> All advertised services are for new customers only and start at
>>several hundreds of pounds.
>> Plusnet want me to phone them!
>
>Try a different ISP, IDnet do not do 'contracts' and the cost to
>install is less than a hundred I think
>
>Or a hundred if you do a 12 month contract it seems
>
>https://www.idnet.com/fibreheroes-broadband.php

You need 24 month contract for a free router.

£36/month 75Mb

I'll see what Plusnet have to say.

Keeping the landline may be a consideration.

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Whoopeedo

<utuf85$1qd2n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127807&group=uk.d-i-y#127807

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 12:32:05 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 12:32 UTC

On 26/03/2024 11:46, Tim Lamb wrote:
> In message <utu7hk$1oe2o$2@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
> <tnp@invalid.invalid> writes
>> On 26/03/2024 09:22, Tim Lamb wrote:
>>> OpenReach have just notified me that *ultrafast full fibre* is now
>>> available to my premises!
>>> With 6 months left on my contract with Plusnet and currently an
>>> adequate/reliable 12meg service, how best to proceed?
>>>  All advertised services are for new customers only and start at
>>> several  hundreds of pounds.
>>>  Plusnet want me to phone them!
>>
>> Try a different ISP, IDnet do not do 'contracts' and the cost to
>> install is less than a hundred I think
>>
>> Or a hundred if you do a 12 month contract it seems
>>
>> https://www.idnet.com/fibreheroes-broadband.php
>
> You need 24 month contract for a free router.

Havent you got a router already?

> £36/month 75Mb
>
> I'll see what Plusnet have to say.
>
> Keeping the landline may be a consideration.

You can transfer that to idnet too.

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Re: Whoopeedo

<l6g3kiFso5pU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127812&group=uk.d-i-y#127812

From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 26 Mar 2024 14:15:46 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 14:15 UTC

Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <utu7hk$1oe2o$2@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
> <tnp@invalid.invalid> writes
>> On 26/03/2024 09:22, Tim Lamb wrote:
>>> OpenReach have just notified me that *ultrafast full fibre* is now
>>> available to my premises!
>>> With 6 months left on my contract with Plusnet and currently an
>>> adequate/reliable 12meg service, how best to proceed?
>>> All advertised services are for new customers only and start at
>>> several hundreds of pounds.
>>> Plusnet want me to phone them!
>>
>> Try a different ISP, IDnet do not do 'contracts' and the cost to
>> install is less than a hundred I think
>>
>> Or a hundred if you do a 12 month contract it seems
>>
>> https://www.idnet.com/fibreheroes-broadband.php
>
> You need 24 month contract for a free router.
>
> £36/month 75Mb
>
> I'll see what Plusnet have to say.
>
> Keeping the landline may be a consideration.

When VDSL contract is up later this year, I plan to go FTTP but haven’t
decided on which supplier - so far PN doesn’t seem a bad bet. When the
current contract ends (by which time I will have the FTTP running) I’ll
port the LL number to A&A (£20 setup fee, £1.41pm) and configure the
service to switch straight to voicemail, which emails you a .wav file of
the call. Outgoing calls will be by mobile.

Calls via A&A are cheap enough anyway, but my route avoids an ATA and a
phone.

--
Spike

Re: Whoopeedo

<KkPSwf1G$uAmFwhG@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127816&group=uk.d-i-y#127816

From: tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 15:54:46 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 15:54 UTC

In message <utuf85$1qd2n$1@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
<tnp@invalid.invalid> writes
>On 26/03/2024 11:46, Tim Lamb wrote:
>> In message <utu7hk$1oe2o$2@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
>><tnp@invalid.invalid> writes
>>>
>>> Try a different ISP, IDnet do not do 'contracts' and the cost to
>>>install is less than a hundred I think
>>>
>>> Or a hundred if you do a 12 month contract it seems
>>>
>>> https://www.idnet.com/fibreheroes-broadband.php
>> You need 24 month contract for a free router.
>>
>Havent you got a router already?

Plusnet unit supplied last Christmas:-)

I don't know of any land line outputs.

>> £36/month 75Mb
>> I'll see what Plusnet have to say.
>> Keeping the landline may be a consideration.
>
>You can transfer that to idnet too.

Certainly a consideration. I plan to wait a few days and see if I get an
offer from Plusnet:-)

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Whoopeedo

<V12Fkh2jfvAmFwy9@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127817&group=uk.d-i-y#127817

From: tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 16:29:23 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 16:29 UTC

In message <utucm1$1pnvu$1@dont-email.me>, John Rumm
<see.my.signature@nowhere.null> writes
>On 26/03/2024 09:22, Tim Lamb wrote:
>
>> OpenReach have just notified me that *ultrafast full fibre* is now
>>available to my premises!
>> With 6 months left on my contract with Plusnet and currently an
>>adequate/reliable 12meg service, how best to proceed?
>
>Do you still use the phone line/number on the current service?

Yes. Currently use a Panasonic KX-TGC220E. Not directly compatible with
VoIP:-(

>Do you have a fixed IP on the plusnet service (probably - they are one
>of the few that gave them out as standard). If so, do you need to keep
>it? (if the answer is "I don't know" then you probably don't!)

Don't know:-) We were with John Lewis..

>Do you need to retain the username.plus.com email address for any reason?

Er. Not understood. My username with Plusnet is not important.

>> All advertised services are for new customers only and start at
>>several hundreds of pounds.
>
>I would be tempted to go to a different ISP (I would second TNPs
>suggestion of IDNet - small ISP still focussed on decent customer
>service).
Good thought.

>You have some options...
>
>Buy whatever FTTP package you want. That then leaves the plusnet
>service unaltered. At your convenience you can then cease the broadband
>on the plusnet line (just after you have got it working :-)

I actually got 3 months rebate!
>)
>
>You can also then migrate the number to VoIP, accessed via the new
>FTTP, and cease the POTS line before it ceases itself anyway.
>
>Or:
>
>Buy new service, but keep plusnet as a backup. Stick dual WAN load
>balancing router on the FTTP, and wire in the plusnet ADSL service as a
>backup. Configure for "failover" and you then have a fallback if the
>FTTP is ever interrupted. (probably not worth the expense unless
>internet access is business critical)

Not business critical now. Although I will miss the Govt. telling me how
to help save the planet by planting trees and not actually growing
anything saleable!

>At some point plusnet would presumably migrate your POTS line to VoIP
>running on whatever their favoured platform is anyway, and run it over
>your ADSL service.
>
>> Plusnet want me to phone them!
>
>Might be worth seeing what deal they are prepared to do - they might be
>keen to keep a customer.

I'll give it a few days. There was an engineer up a pole here this
afternoon so something is happening.

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Whoopeedo

<l6gc2nFt95hU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127820&group=uk.d-i-y#127820

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 16:39:48 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 16:39 UTC

Tim Lamb wrote:

> I plan to wait a few days and see if I get an
> offer from Plusnet:-)

If you move to FTTP with plusnt, you can't keep a phone service, as they
do not provide one, the number will get ceased.

According to OFCOM (since last April) you can retrieve your old PSTN
number up to 30 days later, plusnet's own pages give the impression
that's not possible, I tend to assume Plusnet would get a rocket from
OFCOM if it really isn't possible, but it's all rather early days ...

How important is the number to you? Might be worth keeping the copper
line, have a new fibre installed, pay double for a month or two, and
only when *both* are working, port the old number to a VoIP provider of
your choice (e.g. voipfone).

Re: Whoopeedo

<utv2tr$294rj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127829&group=uk.d-i-y#127829

From: see.my.signature@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 18:07:56 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 18:07 UTC

On 26/03/2024 16:29, Tim Lamb wrote:
> In message <utucm1$1pnvu$1@dont-email.me>, John Rumm
> <see.my.signature@nowhere.null> writes
>> On 26/03/2024 09:22, Tim Lamb wrote:
>>
>>> OpenReach have just notified me that *ultrafast full fibre* is now
>>> available to my premises!
>>> With 6 months left on my contract with Plusnet and currently an
>>> adequate/reliable 12meg service, how best to proceed?
>>
>> Do you still use the phone line/number on the current service?
>
> Yes. Currently use a Panasonic KX-TGC220E. Not directly compatible with
> VoIP:-(

With the addition of an Analogue Telephone Adaptor (ATA) or suitable
router with ATA capability built in it will be.

>> Do you have a fixed IP on the plusnet service (probably - they are one
>> of the few that gave them out as standard). If so, do you need to keep
>> it? (if the answer is "I don't know" then you probably don't!)
>
> Don't know:-) We were with John Lewis..
>>
>> Do you need to retain the username.plus.com email address for any reason?
>
> Er. Not understood. My username with Plusnet is not important.

If you have a plusnet username, then you normally also have the option
of using their mailservers. So if you username say "myfarm", you could
use tim@myfarm.plus.com for email.

So by the sounds of it, there is nothing tying you to them particularly.

>>> All advertised services are for new customers only and start at
>>> several  hundreds of pounds.
>>
>> I would be tempted to go to a different ISP (I would second TNPs
>> suggestion of IDNet - small ISP still focussed on decent customer
>> service).

> Good thought.

>> You have some options...
>>
>> Buy whatever FTTP package you want. That then leaves the plusnet
>> service unaltered. At your convenience you can then cease the
>> broadband on the plusnet line (just after you have got it working :-)
>
> I actually got 3 months rebate!

Nice :-)

>> )
>>
>> You can also then migrate the number to VoIP, accessed via the new
>> FTTP, and cease the POTS line before it ceases itself anyway.
>>
>> Or:
>>
>> Buy new service, but keep plusnet as a backup. Stick dual WAN load
>> balancing router on the FTTP, and wire in the plusnet ADSL service as
>> a backup. Configure for "failover" and you then have a fallback if the
>> FTTP is ever interrupted. (probably not worth the expense unless
>> internet access is business critical)
>
> Not business critical now. Although I will miss the Govt. telling me how
> to help save the planet by planting trees and not actually growing
> anything saleable!

Don't worry, they will be along to nag you about something else shortly :-)

>> At some point plusnet would presumably migrate your POTS line to VoIP
>> running on whatever their favoured platform is anyway, and run it over
>> your ADSL service.
>>
>>> Plusnet want me to phone them!
>>
>> Might be worth seeing what deal they are prepared to do - they might
>> be keen to keep a customer.
>
> I'll give it a few days. There was an engineer up a pole here this
> afternoon so something is happening.

Yup, it can be a long time coming, but once it arrives, it can then go
pretty quick.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Whoopeedo

<QrGMN.695530$xHn7.338545@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127849&group=uk.d-i-y#127849

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 20:43:27 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 20:43 UTC

On 26-Mar-24 15:54, Tim Lamb wrote:
> In message <utuf85$1qd2n$1@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
> <tnp@invalid.invalid> writes
>> On 26/03/2024 11:46, Tim Lamb wrote:
>>> In message <utu7hk$1oe2o$2@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
>>> <tnp@invalid.invalid> writes

>>>  You need 24 month contract for a free router.
>>>
>> Havent you got a router already?
>
> Plusnet unit supplied last Christmas:-)
>
> I don't know of any land line outputs.
>>
>>> £36/month 75Mb
>>>  I'll see what Plusnet have to say.
>>>  Keeping the landline may be a consideration.
>>
>> You can transfer that to idnet too.
>
> Certainly a consideration. I plan to wait a few days and see if I get an
> offer from Plusnet:-)

It might have changed, but PlusNet seem to expect you to phone them and
haggle.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Whoopeedo

<RAGMN.695531$xHn7.337028@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127850&group=uk.d-i-y#127850

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 20:53:04 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 20:53 UTC

On 26-Mar-24 14:15, Spike wrote:
> Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <utu7hk$1oe2o$2@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
>> <tnp@invalid.invalid> writes
>>>
>>> Try a different ISP, IDnet do not do 'contracts' and the cost to
>>> install is less than a hundred I think
>>>
>>> Or a hundred if you do a 12 month contract it seems
>>>
>>> https://www.idnet.com/fibreheroes-broadband.php
>>
>> You need 24 month contract for a free router.
>>
>> £36/month 75Mb
>>
>> I'll see what Plusnet have to say.
>>
>> Keeping the landline may be a consideration.
>
> When VDSL contract is up later this year, I plan to go FTTP but haven’t
> decided on which supplier - so far PN doesn’t seem a bad bet. When the
> current contract ends (by which time I will have the FTTP running) I’ll
> port the LL number to A&A (£20 setup fee, £1.41pm) and configure the
> service to switch straight to voicemail, which emails you a .wav file of
> the call. Outgoing calls will be by mobile.
>
> Calls via A&A are cheap enough anyway, but my route avoids an ATA and a
> phone.

When thinking of porting your LL number to a VOIP provider, I found the
following advice to be relevant:

Make sure there isn’t a clause in your VOIP contract that bars you from
moving your telephone number to a new provider – it might be that you
got a special cheap tariff package that included that condition.

In other words, if it is important to you to keep your present land line
number, make sure you can still keep it, should you later want/need to
change VOIP suppliers.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Whoopeedo

<l6h0gaF3qg7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127855&group=uk.d-i-y#127855

From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 26 Mar 2024 22:28:26 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 22:28 UTC

Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
> On 26-Mar-24 14:15, Spike wrote:
>> Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <utu7hk$1oe2o$2@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
>>> <tnp@invalid.invalid> writes

>>> You need 24 month contract for a free router.
>>>
>>> £36/month 75Mb
>>>
>>> I'll see what Plusnet have to say.
>>>
>>> Keeping the landline may be a consideration.
>>
>> When VDSL contract is up later this year, I plan to go FTTP but haven’t
>> decided on which supplier - so far PN doesn’t seem a bad bet. When the
>> current contract ends (by which time I will have the FTTP running) I’ll
>> port the LL number to A&A (£20 setup fee, £1.41pm) and configure the
>> service to switch straight to voicemail, which emails you a .wav file of
>> the call. Outgoing calls will be by mobile.
>>
>> Calls via A&A are cheap enough anyway, but my route avoids an ATA and a
>> phone.
>>
> When thinking of porting your LL number to a VOIP provider, I found the
> following advice to be relevant:
>
> Make sure there isn’t a clause in your VOIP contract that bars you from
> moving your telephone number to a new provider – it might be that you
> got a special cheap tariff package that included that condition.

> In other words, if it is important to you to keep your present land line
> number, make sure you can still keep it, should you later want/need to
> change VOIP suppliers.

Thanks for that. I’ll email A&A and see what they say about it.

--
Spike

Re: Whoopeedo

<502ek13im+AmFwHG@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127886&group=uk.d-i-y#127886

From: tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 09:40:50 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 09:40 UTC

In message <RAGMN.695531$xHn7.337028@fx14.iad>, Sam Plusnet
<not@home.com> writes
>On 26-Mar-24 14:15, Spike wrote:
>> Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <utu7hk$1oe2o$2@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
>>> <tnp@invalid.invalid> writes

>>> You need 24 month contract for a free router.
>>>
>>> £36/month 75Mb
>>>
>>> I'll see what Plusnet have to say.
>>>
>>> Keeping the landline may be a consideration.
>> When VDSL contract is up later this year, I plan to go FTTP but
>>haven’t
>> decided on which supplier - so far PN doesn’t seem a bad bet. When the
>> current contract ends (by which time I will have the FTTP running) I’ll
>> port the LL number to A&A (£20 setup fee, £1.41pm) and configure the
>> service to switch straight to voicemail, which emails you a .wav file of
>> the call. Outgoing calls will be by mobile.
>> Calls via A&A are cheap enough anyway, but my route avoids an ATA
>>and a
>> phone.
>>
>When thinking of porting your LL number to a VOIP provider, I found the
>following advice to be relevant:
>
>Make sure there isn’t a clause in your VOIP contract that bars you
>from moving your telephone number to a new provider – it might be
>that you got a special cheap tariff package that included that condition.
>
>In other words, if it is important to you to keep your present land
>line number, make sure you can still keep it, should you later
>want/need to change VOIP suppliers.

Ok Sam. Point understood.

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Whoopeedo

<wEqcoa3Rk+AmFwFI@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127887&group=uk.d-i-y#127887

From: tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 09:38:25 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 09:38 UTC

In message <l6gc2nFt95hU3@mid.individual.net>, Andy Burns
<usenet@andyburns.uk> writes
>Tim Lamb wrote:
>
>> I plan to wait a few days and see if I get an offer from Plusnet:-)
>
>If you move to FTTP with plusnt, you can't keep a phone service, as
>they do not provide one, the number will get ceased.

Ah. So better to run down my contract and then change as suggested.

>According to OFCOM (since last April) you can retrieve your old PSTN
>number up to 30 days later, plusnet's own pages give the impression
>that's not possible, I tend to assume Plusnet would get a rocket from
>OFCOM if it really isn't possible, but it's all rather early days ...
>
>How important is the number to you? Might be worth keeping the copper
>line, have a new fibre installed, pay double for a month or two, and
>only when *both* are working, port the old number to a VoIP provider of
>your choice (e.g. voipfone).

Importance? Hard to say. When the farm business was fully active, it was
crucial. Currently? Hard to say. I prefer it to a mobile and the
messaging gets some use. Long calls are usually my wife's
friends/relatives.
Probably time to move on.

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Whoopeedo

<X3fl0r4G$+AmFwjY@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127888&group=uk.d-i-y#127888

From: tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 10:07:02 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 10:07 UTC

In message <utv2tr$294rj$1@dont-email.me>, John Rumm
<see.my.signature@nowhere.null> writes
>On 26/03/2024 16:29, Tim Lamb wrote:
>> In message <utucm1$1pnvu$1@dont-email.me>, John Rumm
>><see.my.signature@nowhere.null> writes

>>> Do you still use the phone line/number on the current service?
>> Yes. Currently use a Panasonic KX-TGC220E. Not directly compatible
>>with VoIP:-(
>
>With the addition of an Analogue Telephone Adaptor (ATA) or suitable
>router with ATA capability built in it will be.
So new router as well.

>>> Do you have a fixed IP on the plusnet service (probably - they are
>>>one of the few that gave them out as standard). If so, do you need
>>>to keep it? (if the answer is "I don't know" then you probably don't!)
>> Don't know:-) We were with John Lewis..
>>>
>>> Do you need to retain the username.plus.com email address for any reason?
>> Er. Not understood. My username with Plusnet is not important.
>
>If you have a plusnet username, then you normally also have the option
>of using their mailservers. So if you username say "myfarm", you could
>use tim@myfarm.plus.com for email.
>
>So by the sounds of it, there is nothing tying you to them particularly.

My login with Plusnet starts 666 which may have been allocated to all
the ex-Demonites:-)

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Whoopeedo

<20240327104455.19d8e010@jrenewsid.jretrading.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127896&group=uk.d-i-y#127896

From: joe@jretrading.com (Joe)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 10:44:55 +0000
 by: Joe - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 10:44 UTC

On Wed, 27 Mar 2024 10:07:02 +0000
Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> My login with Plusnet starts 666 which may have been allocated to all
> the ex-Demonites:-)

No, I went there from Demon, and have no sign of the Beast. I jumped
somewhat earlier than the end, which could be seen coming after
Vodafone took over, and I had been using non-Demon domain names since
1998, so it was not too traumatic and I had no dealings with Namesco.

--
Joe

Re: Whoopeedo

<uu0vjj$2q8e0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127902&group=uk.d-i-y#127902

From: see.my.signature@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 11:23:32 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 11:23 UTC

On 27/03/2024 10:07, Tim Lamb wrote:
> In message <utv2tr$294rj$1@dont-email.me>, John Rumm
> <see.my.signature@nowhere.null> writes

>> So by the sounds of it, there is nothing tying you to them particularly.
>
> My login with Plusnet starts 666 which may have been allocated to all
> the ex-Demonites:-)

Still should work as an email address with a .plus.com tacked on the
back end :-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Whoopeedo

<uu102e$2qcp7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127904&group=uk.d-i-y#127904

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 11:31:26 +0000
 by: Davey - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 11:31 UTC

On Tue, 26 Mar 2024 18:07:56 +0000
John Rumm <see.my.signature@nowhere.null> wrote:

> On 26/03/2024 16:29, Tim Lamb wrote:
> > In message <utucm1$1pnvu$1@dont-email.me>, John Rumm
> > <see.my.signature@nowhere.null> writes

> >> Do you still use the phone line/number on the current service?
> >
> > Yes. Currently use a Panasonic KX-TGC220E. Not directly compatible
> > with VoIP:-(
>
> With the addition of an Analogue Telephone Adaptor (ATA) or suitable
> router with ATA capability built in it will be.

Indeed. The Fritz!Box supplied by Zen certainly has this built in.

--
Davey.

Re: Whoopeedo

<uu10ju$2qifn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127906&group=uk.d-i-y#127906

From: Andrew97d@btinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 11:40:47 +0000
 by: Andrew - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 11:40 UTC

On 26/03/2024 16:29, Tim Lamb wrote:
> In message <utucm1$1pnvu$1@dont-email.me>, John Rumm
> <see.my.signature@nowhere.null> writes
>> On 26/03/2024 09:22, Tim Lamb wrote:
>>
>>> OpenReach have just notified me that *ultrafast full fibre* is now
>>> available to my premises!
>>> With 6 months left on my contract with Plusnet and currently an
>>> adequate/reliable 12meg service, how best to proceed?
>>
>> Do you still use the phone line/number on the current service?
>
> Yes. Currently use a Panasonic KX-TGC220E. Not directly compatible with
> VoIP:-(
>>
>> Do you have a fixed IP on the plusnet service (probably - they are one
>> of the few that gave them out as standard). If so, do you need to keep
>> it? (if the answer is "I don't know" then you probably don't!)
>
> Don't know:-) We were with John Lewis..
>>
>> Do you need to retain the username.plus.com email address for any reason?
>
> Er. Not understood. My username with Plusnet is not important.
>>
>>> All advertised services are for new customers only and start at
>>> several  hundreds of pounds.
>>
>> I would be tempted to go to a different ISP (I would second TNPs
>> suggestion of IDNet - small ISP still focussed on decent customer
>> service).
> Good thought.
>>
>> You have some options...
>>
>> Buy whatever FTTP package you want. That then leaves the plusnet
>> service unaltered. At your convenience you can then cease the
>> broadband on the plusnet line (just after you have got it working :-)
>
> I actually got 3 months rebate!
>> )
>>
>> You can also then migrate the number to VoIP, accessed via the new
>> FTTP, and cease the POTS line before it ceases itself anyway.
>>
>> Or:
>>
>> Buy new service, but keep plusnet as a backup. Stick dual WAN load
>> balancing router on the FTTP, and wire in the plusnet ADSL service as
>> a backup. Configure for "failover" and you then have a fallback if the
>> FTTP is ever interrupted. (probably not worth the expense unless
>> internet access is business critical)
>
> Not business critical now. Although I will miss the Govt. telling me how
> to help save the planet by planting trees and not actually growing
> anything saleable!

Timber is highly saleable, one day :-)

Re: Whoopeedo

<zuNfVQCJoABmFwuj@bancom.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127916&group=uk.d-i-y#127916

From: tony@bancom.co.uk (tony sayer)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 11:59:05 +0000
 by: tony sayer - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 11:59 UTC

In article <l6g3kiFso5pU1@mid.individual.net>, Spike
<aero.spike@mail.com> scribeth thus
>Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <utu7hk$1oe2o$2@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
>> <tnp@invalid.invalid> writes
>>>
>>> Try a different ISP, IDnet do not do 'contracts' and the cost to
>>> install is less than a hundred I think
>>>
>>> Or a hundred if you do a 12 month contract it seems
>>>
>>> https://www.idnet.com/fibreheroes-broadband.php
>>
>> You need 24 month contract for a free router.
>>
>> £36/month 75Mb
>>
>> I'll see what Plusnet have to say.
>>
>> Keeping the landline may be a consideration.
>
>When VDSL contract is up later this year, I plan to go FTTP but haven’t
>decided on which supplier - so far PN doesn’t seem a bad bet. When the
>current contract ends (by which time I will have the FTTP running) I’ll
>port the LL number to A&A (£20 setup fee, £1.41pm) and configure the
>service to switch straight to voicemail, which emails you a .wav file of
>the call. Outgoing calls will be by mobile.
>
>Calls via A&A are cheap enough anyway, but my route avoids an ATA and a
>phone.

Zen are an excellent provider, then set up a VoIP number with VoIPfone
my landline number comes up on my mobile phone, uses a data channel and
all works very well:)...

--
Tony Sayer

Re: Whoopeedo

<5b482d4e27charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127919&group=uk.d-i-y#127919

From: charles@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 24 12:08:03 UTC
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
 by: charles - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 12:08 UTC

In article <uu10ju$2qifn$1@dont-email.me>,
Andrew <Andrew97d@btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 26/03/2024 16:29, Tim Lamb wrote:
> > In message <utucm1$1pnvu$1@dont-email.me>, John Rumm
> > <see.my.signature@nowhere.null> writes

> >> Do you still use the phone line/number on the current service?
> >
> > Yes. Currently use a Panasonic KX-TGC220E. Not directly compatible with
> > VoIP:-(
> >>
> >> Do you have a fixed IP on the plusnet service (probably - they are one
> >> of the few that gave them out as standard). If so, do you need to keep
> >> it? (if the answer is "I don't know" then you probably don't!)
> >
> > Don't know:-) We were with John Lewis..
> >>
> >> Do you need to retain the username.plus.com email address for any reason?
> >
> > Er. Not understood. My username with Plusnet is not important.

> >> I would be tempted to go to a different ISP (I would second TNPs
> >> suggestion of IDNet - small ISP still focussed on decent customer
> >> service).
> > Good thought.
> >>
> >> You have some options...
> >>
> >> Buy whatever FTTP package you want. That then leaves the plusnet
> >> service unaltered. At your convenience you can then cease the
> >> broadband on the plusnet line (just after you have got it working :-)
> >
> > I actually got 3 months rebate!
> >> )
> >>
> >> You can also then migrate the number to VoIP, accessed via the new
> >> FTTP, and cease the POTS line before it ceases itself anyway.
> >>
> >> Or:
> >>
> >> Buy new service, but keep plusnet as a backup. Stick dual WAN load
> >> balancing router on the FTTP, and wire in the plusnet ADSL service as
> >> a backup. Configure for "failover" and you then have a fallback if the
> >> FTTP is ever interrupted. (probably not worth the expense unless
> >> internet access is business critical)
> >
> > Not business critical now. Although I will miss the Govt. telling me how
> > to help save the planet by planting trees and not actually growing
> > anything saleable!

> Timber is highly saleable, one day :-)

some 20 years ago, the factor (estate manager) at Balmoral announced the
planting of a significant sized tree plantation. He said " We look forward
to harvesting them in about 400 yeasr time."

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té²

Re: Whoopeedo

<l6igsvFq0qjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127920&group=uk.d-i-y#127920

From: news0009@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 27 Mar 2024 12:14:23 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 12:14 UTC

On Wed, 27 Mar 2024 10:07:02 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

> My login with Plusnet starts 666 which may have been allocated to all
> the ex-Demonites

Our internal phones at home respond to 666. It unlocks the front door.

Installed for when sons arrive home late without a key.

Re: Whoopeedo

<878r239787.fsf@wylie.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127923&group=uk.d-i-y#127923

From: alan@wylie.me.uk (Alan J. Wylie)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 12:42:16 +0000
sha1:3cSPG3dKg6i9pUqIToriNFu10oU=
 by: Alan J. Wylie - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 12:42 UTC

charles <charles@candehope.me.uk> writes:

>> Timber is highly saleable, one day :-)
>
> some 20 years ago, the factor (estate manager) at Balmoral announced the
> planting of a significant sized tree plantation. He said " We look forward
> to harvesting them in about 400 yeasr time."

https://longnow.org/ideas/humans-and-trees-in-long-term-partnership/

[New College, Oxford]

"a dining hall that features expansive oak beams across its ceiling
infested with beetles
They called in the College Forester, who of course had not been near the
college itself for some years, and asked him if there were any oaks for
possible use.

He pulled his forelock and said, “Well sirs, we was wonderin’ when you’d
be askin’.”

--
Alan J. Wylie https://www.wylie.me.uk/

Dance like no-one's watching. / Encrypt like everyone is.
Security is inversely proportional to convenience

Re: Whoopeedo

<uu14i6$2rdhi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=127925&group=uk.d-i-y#127925

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 12:48:06 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 12:48 UTC

On 27/03/2024 12:08, charles wrote:
> In article <uu10ju$2qifn$1@dont-email.me>,
> Andrew <Andrew97d@btinternet.com> wrote:

>> Timber is highly saleable, one day :-)
>
> some 20 years ago, the factor (estate manager) at Balmoral announced the
> planting of a significant sized tree plantation. He said " We look forward
> to harvesting them in about 400 yeasr time."

A row of poplars planted for ww2 pit props died of rot last year and
were felled. no value at all.

AFAIK poplar is only ever used for lolly sticks and lite ply, and there
isn't a huge demand for either

--
"An intellectual is a person knowledgeable in one field who speaks out
only in others...”

Tom Wolfe