I have that old biological urge, I have that old irresistible surge, I'm hungry.

aus+uk / uk.telecom / Strange FTTP 'island' at the end of our road

SubjectAuthor
* Strange FTTP 'island' at the end of our roadChris Green
+- Re: Strange FTTP 'island' at the end of our roadRupert Moss-Eccardt
+* Re: Strange FTTP 'island' at the end of our roadAndy Burns
|`- Re: Strange FTTP 'island' at the end of our roadChris Green
+* Re: Strange FTTP 'island' at the end of our roadAndy Burns
|`- Re: Strange FTTP 'island' at the end of our roadChris Green
`- Re: Strange FTTP 'island' at the end of our roadNick Finnigan

1
Re: Strange FTTP 'island' at the end of our road

<khss1kFcd7iU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1004&group=uk.telecom#1004

From: nin@moss-eccardt.com (Rupert Moss-Eccardt)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Subject: Re: Strange FTTP 'island' at the end of our road
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 14:44:19 +0100
 by: Rupert Moss-Eccardt - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 13:44 UTC

On 17 Jul 2023 08:45, Chris Green wrote:
> I noticed a while ago that there seemed to be an oddity in the map of
> FTTP availability for our area in that it showed availablity at the
> end of our road.
>
> So, when I was using https://www.openreach.com/fibre-checker/ just now
> I tried various addresses on the road and, yes, FTTP *is* available at
> the end of the road.
>
> Our road is a private road in a very small village in South Suffolk,
> it's a no through road about a mile long with about 20 houses along it
> (it's an old land settlement area so each house has several acres of
> land with it).
>
> The FTTP availability is at the far end of the road, a long way from
> anywhere! The OpenReach checker says FTTP is available for some of
> the houses at the end of the road but not others.
>
> The post code is IP12 4NR, availability as follows:-
>
> 45, Jackson Road No
> 46, Jackson Road Yes
> 47, Jackson Road Yes
> 47b, Jackson Road No
> Grange Nurseries Yes
> GRANGE NURSERIES No (nothing available)
>
> No others on Jackson Road have FTTP availability as far as I can tell.
>
> Grange Nurseries has two entries for the post code and, as noted
> above, one has FTTP available and the other doesn't! It's not a
> working business now as far as I know and is most unlikely to have
> spent lots of money getting FTTP. 47b is in a little enclave of what
> used to be Grange Nurseries land, 47 is on the other side, as is 46.
>
> Can anyone explain the above? How does the fibre get there? The
> nearest cabinets are quite a way away. I suspect the fibre runs on
> the poles down our road (right by our house), why have they only used
> it to provide FTTP for a few places at the end of the road?

It could be as simple as everyone down that end expressing interest and
everyone else not bothering so one "DP" on the pole and everyone in
reach of that pole by drop cable can get it

Strange FTTP 'island' at the end of our road

<868foj-kbm3.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1278&group=uk.telecom#1278

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Subject: Strange FTTP 'island' at the end of our road
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 08:45:44 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 07:45 UTC

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Strange FTTP 'island' at the end of our road

<khkee3F1evpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1283&group=uk.telecom#1283

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 10:02:59 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 09:02 UTC

Chris Green wrote:

> I suspect the fibre runs on the poles down our road (right by our
> house), why have they only used it to provide FTTP for a few places at
> the end of the road?

Lack of wayleave agreements on a private road?

Re: Strange FTTP 'island' at the end of our road

<ucdfoj-ohv3.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1286&group=uk.telecom#1286

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 10:14:38 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 09:14 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> Chris Green wrote:
>
> > I suspect the fibre runs on the poles down our road (right by our
> > house), why have they only used it to provide FTTP for a few places at
> > the end of the road?
>
> Lack of wayleave agreements on a private road?

But it runs down the road anyway! The poles have 'Fibre above' plates on
them. Plus, I'm the director of the road management company (such as
it is) and as fa as I'm aware utilities have all the access they need.

If the fibre is on a pole which already feeds POTS to our house then
surely no more wayleave is needed for fibre.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Strange FTTP 'island' at the end of our road

<khkh81F2292U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1288&group=uk.telecom#1288

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 10:50:57 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 09:50 UTC

Chris Green wrote:

> Grange Nurseries has two entries for the post code and, as noted above,
> one has FTTP available and the other doesn't! It's not a working
> business now as far as I know and is most unlikely to have spent lots of
> money getting FTTP. 47b is in a little enclave of what used to be Grange
> Nurseries land, 47 is on the other side, as is 46.

Is it new-builds that have FTTP?

Re: Strange FTTP 'island' at the end of our road

<9tlfoj-pch4.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1296&group=uk.telecom#1296

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 12:39:53 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 11:39 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> Chris Green wrote:
>
> > Grange Nurseries has two entries for the post code and, as noted above,
> > one has FTTP available and the other doesn't! It's not a working
> > business now as far as I know and is most unlikely to have spent lots of
> > money getting FTTP. 47b is in a little enclave of what used to be Grange
> > Nurseries land, 47 is on the other side, as is 46.
>
> Is it new-builds that have FTTP?

No. The only 'new build' is 47b which is a recently built wooden
bungalow on, as I said, a bit of the Grange Nurseries land. 47b
doesn't get offered FTTP. 46 and 47, which do get offered FTTP, are
two of the old land settlement houses built in the 1920s or 1930s.

Grange Nurseries which does and doesn't have FTTP offered is now a
very run down business and no new developments there.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Strange FTTP 'island' at the end of our road

<u93f1r$18j5p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1301&group=uk.telecom#1301

From: nix@genie.co.uk (Nick Finnigan)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 14:17:48 +0100
 by: Nick Finnigan - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 13:17 UTC

On 17/07/2023 08:45, Chris Green wrote:
> I noticed a while ago that there seemed to be an oddity in the map of
> FTTP availability for our area in that it showed availablity at the
> end of our road.
>
> So, when I was using https://www.openreach.com/fibre-checker/ just now
> I tried various addresses on the road and, yes, FTTP *is* available at
> the end of the road.
>
> Our road is a private road in a very small village in South Suffolk,
> it's a no through road about a mile long with about 20 houses along it
> (it's an old land settlement area so each house has several acres of
> land with it).
>
> The FTTP availability is at the far end of the road, a long way from
> anywhere! The OpenReach checker says FTTP is available for some of
> the houses at the end of the road but not others.
I saw the same for my road; I assume that FTTP is only available if FTTC
does not give a 'Superfast' speed.