Lost ticket pays maximum rate.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Cable tie fixings for painted concrete outside?

SubjectAuthor
* Cable tie fixings for painted concrete outside?David
+* Re: Cable tie fixings for painted concrete outside?SH
|`* Re: Cable tie fixings for painted concrete outside?David
| `* Re: Cable tie fixings for painted concrete outside?alan_m
|  `* Re: Cable tie fixings for painted concrete outside?David
|   `- Re: Cable tie fixings for painted concrete outside?alan_m
+- Re: Cable tie fixings for painted concrete outside?Tricky Dicky
+- Re: Cable tie fixings for painted concrete outside?alan_m
+- Re: Cable tie fixings for painted concrete outside?The Natural Philosopher
+- Re: Cable tie fixings for painted concrete outside?Harry Bloomfield Esq
`* Re: Cable tie fixings for painted concrete outside?SteveW
 `- Re: Cable tie fixings for painted concrete outside?alan_m

1
Cable tie fixings for painted concrete outside?

<l6nqatFm4nnU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128081&group=uk.d-i-y#128081

From: wibble@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Cable tie fixings for painted concrete outside?
Date: 29 Mar 2024 12:26:05 GMT
 by: David - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 12:26 UTC

I want to fix something to the external "fence" which is in fact stacked
concrete gravel board, painted with external paint.

At the moment I have stick on cable tie fixings on plastic, and drill and
push in fixings in brick.

I am reluctant to drill into the concrete because of the chances of
hitting aggregate, cracking away the surface, or hitting reinforcing steel.

Is there any reliable surface fixing? I suspect that little will stick to
concrete covered with external paint.

Cheers

Dave R

--
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64

Re: Cable tie fixings for painted concrete outside?

<uu6civ$758h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128082&group=uk.d-i-y#128082

From: i.love@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 12:35:44 +0000
 by: SH - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 12:35 UTC

On 29/03/2024 12:26, David wrote:
> I want to fix something to the external "fence" which is in fact stacked
> concrete gravel board, painted with external paint.
>
> At the moment I have stick on cable tie fixings on plastic, and drill and
> push in fixings in brick.
>
> I am reluctant to drill into the concrete because of the chances of
> hitting aggregate, cracking away the surface, or hitting reinforcing steel.
>
> Is there any reliable surface fixing? I suspect that little will stick to
> concrete covered with external paint.
>
> Cheers
>

> Dave R

can you not push in a long cable tie between a pair of concrete boards,
loop round a post and then back through between an adjacent set of
gravel boards and then form a loop?

Re: Cable tie fixings for painted concrete outside?

<uu6cqb$9sbo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128083&group=uk.d-i-y#128083

From: tricky.dicky@sky.com (Tricky Dicky)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 12:39:39 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:nihKYmlFb1R6rg3cGgB4IBThspI=
 by: Tricky Dicky - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 12:39 UTC

David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:
> I want to fix something to the external "fence" which is in fact stacked
> concrete gravel board, painted with external paint.
>
> At the moment I have stick on cable tie fixings on plastic, and drill and
> push in fixings in brick.
>
> I am reluctant to drill into the concrete because of the chances of
> hitting aggregate, cracking away the surface, or hitting reinforcing steel.
>
> Is there any reliable surface fixing? I suspect that little will stick to
> concrete covered with external paint.
>
> Cheers
>

> Dave R

If you stay away from the edges your chance of hitting rebar are quite
small. I have drilled into both concrete posts and gravel boards without
problems such as surface cracking. If you are just fixing to the gravel
boards then I would drill a test hole, if that hits rebar drill elsewhere.
Once you have established the position of one good hole you should be able
to take a measurement for all the rest as the rebar position will most
likely be the same for all the gravel boards.

Re: Cable tie fixings for painted concrete outside?

<l6nrg6F4qroU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128090&group=uk.d-i-y#128090

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 12:45:58 +0000
 by: alan_m - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 12:45 UTC

On 29/03/2024 12:26, David wrote:
> I want to fix something to the external "fence" which is in fact stacked
> concrete gravel board, painted with external paint.

Would the gap between two adjacent gravel boards hold the mounting part
of a (stainless steel) P clip?

https://nyfast.com/home/10290-p-clips-stainless-steel

Or make your own p-type clip from builders band
https://www.screwfix.com/p/ced-all-round-band-12mm-x-10m/18298

You could trap a longer length of metal between two of the gravel boards

Re: Cable tie fixings for painted concrete outside?

<uu6eh8$a7t1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128092&group=uk.d-i-y#128092

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 13:08:56 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 13:08 UTC

On 29/03/2024 12:26, David wrote:
> I want to fix something to the external "fence" which is in fact stacked
> concrete gravel board, painted with external paint.
>
> At the moment I have stick on cable tie fixings on plastic, and drill and
> push in fixings in brick.
>
> I am reluctant to drill into the concrete because of the chances of
> hitting aggregate, cracking away the surface, or hitting reinforcing steel.
>
> Is there any reliable surface fixing? I suspect that little will stick to
> concrete covered with external paint.

Then remove the paint with something.
Any polyester/epoxy style glue is pretty good on concrete
I even used car body fuller to reglue weights on a nylon washer drum.
They worked until other reasons caused its scrappage

Id attack the surface with paint stripper and a wire brush, attach using
CBF and then repaint

And in fact for reaosnable stresses hot glue is also possible

> Cheers
>

> Dave R

Re: Cable tie fixings for painted concrete outside?

<uu91p6$102bh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128142&group=uk.d-i-y#128142

From: a@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 12:49:43 +0000
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 12:49 UTC

On 29/03/2024 12:26, David wrote:
> I am reluctant to drill into the concrete because of the chances of
> hitting aggregate, cracking away the surface, or hitting reinforcing steel.

Have you tested it, using a metal detector?

Re: Cable tie fixings for painted concrete outside?

<uu9ifn$149th$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128153&group=uk.d-i-y#128153

From: steve@walker-family.me.uk (SteveW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 17:34:46 +0000
 by: SteveW - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 17:34 UTC

On 29/03/2024 12:26, David wrote:
> I want to fix something to the external "fence" which is in fact stacked
> concrete gravel board, painted with external paint.
>
> At the moment I have stick on cable tie fixings on plastic, and drill and
> push in fixings in brick.
>
> I am reluctant to drill into the concrete because of the chances of
> hitting aggregate, cracking away the surface, or hitting reinforcing steel.
>
> Is there any reliable surface fixing? I suspect that little will stick to
> concrete covered with external paint.

I assume that you are fixing to the normal, slotted posts? If so, these
may be overkill, but they are an option.

https://www.gardenoutdoorstore.co.uk/product/postfix-slotted-concrete-fence-post-brackets-to-fit-4-x-5-posts-4-sets-fix-anything-to-concrete-posts-just-clamp-on-no-drilling

Re: Cable tie fixings for painted concrete outside?

<l6r1fpFjirkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128154&group=uk.d-i-y#128154

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 17:46:33 +0000
 by: alan_m - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 17:46 UTC

On 30/03/2024 17:34, SteveW wrote:

> I assume that you are fixing to the normal, slotted posts? If so, these
> may be overkill, but they are an option.
>
> https://www.gardenoutdoorstore.co.uk/product/postfix-slotted-concrete-fence-post-brackets-to-fit-4-x-5-posts-4-sets-fix-anything-to-concrete-posts-just-clamp-on-no-drilling

If you do go down this route just be aware they come in two sizes, 4"x
4" and 4" x 5"

Re: Cable tie fixings for painted concrete outside?

<l6tpf8Fm4nnU7@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128201&group=uk.d-i-y#128201

From: wibble@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 31 Mar 2024 18:48:08 GMT
 by: David - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 18:48 UTC

On Fri, 29 Mar 2024 12:35:44 +0000, SH wrote:

> On 29/03/2024 12:26, David wrote:
>> I want to fix something to the external "fence" which is in fact
>> stacked concrete gravel board, painted with external paint.
>>
>> At the moment I have stick on cable tie fixings on plastic, and drill
>> and push in fixings in brick.
>>
>> I am reluctant to drill into the concrete because of the chances of
>> hitting aggregate, cracking away the surface, or hitting reinforcing
>> steel.
>>
>> Is there any reliable surface fixing? I suspect that little will stick
>> to concrete covered with external paint.
>>
>> Cheers
>>

>> Dave R
>>

> can you not push in a long cable tie between a pair of concrete boards,
> loop round a post and then back through between an adjacent set of
> gravel boards and then form a loop?

Covering several suggestions - gravel boards are pretty heavy and I need
to be a couple of boards down so lifting (and keeping lifted) the boards
could take a lot of strength and effort.

They were fitted over 10 years ago by a pair of muscular builders.

10 years on I don't fancy my chances of moving them, although wedges and
levers might help.

I had discounted using the gaps for this reason.

The rest of the fence run using wood makes fixing a doddle.

Cheers

Dave R

--
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64

Re: Cable tie fixings for painted concrete outside?

<l6tqtpF1rq1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128204&group=uk.d-i-y#128204

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 20:12:58 +0100
 by: alan_m - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 19:12 UTC

On 31/03/2024 19:48, David wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Mar 2024 12:35:44 +0000, SH wrote:
>
>> On 29/03/2024 12:26, David wrote:
>>> I want to fix something to the external "fence" which is in fact
>>> stacked concrete gravel board, painted with external paint.
>>>
>>> At the moment I have stick on cable tie fixings on plastic, and drill
>>> and push in fixings in brick.
>>>
>>> I am reluctant to drill into the concrete because of the chances of
>>> hitting aggregate, cracking away the surface, or hitting reinforcing
>>> steel.
>>>
>>> Is there any reliable surface fixing? I suspect that little will stick
>>> to concrete covered with external paint.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>

>>> Dave R
>>>

>> can you not push in a long cable tie between a pair of concrete boards,
>> loop round a post and then back through between an adjacent set of
>> gravel boards and then form a loop?
>
> Covering several suggestions - gravel boards are pretty heavy and I need
> to be a couple of boards down so lifting (and keeping lifted) the boards
> could take a lot of strength and effort.
>
> They were fitted over 10 years ago by a pair of muscular builders.
>
> 10 years on I don't fancy my chances of moving them, although wedges and
> levers might help.
>
> I had discounted using the gaps for this reason.
>
> The rest of the fence run using wood makes fixing a doddle.

Drill in the crack between the boards, insert a nylon wall/raw plug and
when it expands when screwing into it the weight of the gravel boards
will hold it firmly in place.

What size cable? If small you can get pin plugs that will take the clips
that use a nail for fixing.
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/FXPP.html
https://www.diy.com/departments/b-q-grey-5mm-cable-clip-pack-of-100/178098_BQ.prd

Re: Cable tie fixings for painted concrete outside?

<l6vedvFm4nnU12@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128222&group=uk.d-i-y#128222

From: wibble@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 1 Apr 2024 09:51:59 GMT
 by: David - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 09:51 UTC

On Sun, 31 Mar 2024 20:12:58 +0100, alan_m wrote:

> On 31/03/2024 19:48, David wrote:

>>> can you not push in a long cable tie between a pair of concrete
>>> boards,
>>> loop round a post and then back through between an adjacent set of
>>> gravel boards and then form a loop?
>>
>> Covering several suggestions - gravel boards are pretty heavy and I
>> need to be a couple of boards down so lifting (and keeping lifted) the
>> boards could take a lot of strength and effort.
>>
>> They were fitted over 10 years ago by a pair of muscular builders.
>>
>> 10 years on I don't fancy my chances of moving them, although wedges
>> and levers might help.
>>
>> I had discounted using the gaps for this reason.
>>
>> The rest of the fence run using wood makes fixing a doddle.
>>

> Drill in the crack between the boards, insert a nylon wall/raw plug and
> when it expands when screwing into it the weight of the gravel boards
> will hold it firmly in place.
>
> What size cable? If small you can get pin plugs that will take the clips
> that use a nail for fixing.
> https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/FXPP.html
> https://www.diy.com/departments/b-q-grey-5mm-cable-clip-pack-
of-100/178098_BQ.prd

Support for a Wisteria.

--
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64

Re: Cable tie fixings for painted concrete outside?

<l6vi41F9lspU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128235&group=uk.d-i-y#128235

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 11:54:57 +0100
 by: alan_m - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 10:54 UTC

On 01/04/2024 10:51, David wrote:

> Support for a Wisteria.

I would then look at a previous post that suggested
the postfix fittings

https://postfixbrackets.co.uk/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?i=merchant-items&me=A2FP9BRVOKT6XH

just make sure that you get the correct size for your posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDaS2XpaDpA

I've used them in the past to hold back plants against a fence using
gantry wire. Using something like the components shown in this link

https://www.screwfix.com/p/greenbrook-catenary-wire-kit-3mm-x-30m/971hv

the wire can be pulled tight and easily span multiple fence panels