Remember: Silly is a state of Mind, Stupid is a way of Life. -- Dave Butler

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Vertical blinds weights "chain" advice

SubjectAuthor
* Vertical blinds weights "chain" adviceJethro_uk
+* Re: Vertical blinds weights "chain" adviceHarry Bloomfield Esq
|+- Re: Vertical blinds weights "chain" adviceJethro_uk
|`* Re: Vertical blinds weights "chain" adviceBrian
| `- Re: Vertical blinds weights "chain" adviceJoe
+- Re: Vertical blinds weights "chain" adviceSteveW
`* Re: Vertical blinds weights "chain" adviceJethro_uk
 `* Re: Vertical blinds weights "chain" adviceAndy Burns
  `- Re: Vertical blinds weights "chain" adviceJethro_uk

1
Vertical blinds weights "chain" advice

<uuedvr$cn6g$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128252&group=uk.d-i-y#128252

From: jethro_uk@hotmailbin.com (Jethro_uk)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Vertical blinds weights "chain" advice
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 13:48:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jethro_uk - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 13:48 UTC

Fitted a nice set of vertical blinds in the bedroom, to replace curtains.

Very happy with my measurements and choice of material - quite the
candidate for automation.

However, there seems to be an ongoing issue with the little plastic
"chain" that connects the louvres at the bottom via the weighted inserts,

There are clips every "x" cm on the chain that are supposed to snap onto
a matching "bar" on the end of the weighted insert.

4 times I have put each one into position with a "snap" and 4 times over
a few days they start falling off.

Am I missing a trick here ? Is there a magic drop of something that will
prevent them falling off ?

Obviously when they're fitted they seem tight. So why are they then
falling off with seemingly no force ?

Re: Vertical blinds weights "chain" advice

<uuefuq$2cfoh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128253&group=uk.d-i-y#128253

From: a@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Vertical blinds weights "chain" advice
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 15:22:18 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 14:22 UTC

On 01/04/2024 14:48, Jethro_uk wrote:
> 4 times I have put each one into position with a "snap" and 4 times over
> a few days they start falling off.
>
> Am I missing a trick here ? Is there a magic drop of something that will
> prevent them falling off ?

We have several vertical blinds, and have no problem with the chains
falling off. On the chains, at regular intervals, there is a C bracket,
to latch on each weight. One problem we do have, is with one arm of the
C snapping off, when they become fragile, due to UV exposure.

Once a C is broken on the chain, it cannot be fixed or repaired, the
whole chain has to be replaced.

Re: Vertical blinds weights "chain" advice

<uuehlo$cn6g$8@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128256&group=uk.d-i-y#128256

From: jethro_uk@hotmailbin.com (Jethro_uk)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 14:51:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jethro_uk - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 14:51 UTC

On Mon, 01 Apr 2024 15:22:18 +0100, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:

> On 01/04/2024 14:48, Jethro_uk wrote:
>> 4 times I have put each one into position with a "snap" and 4 times
>> over a few days they start falling off.
>>
>> Am I missing a trick here ? Is there a magic drop of something that
>> will prevent them falling off ?
>
> We have several vertical blinds, and have no problem with the chains
> falling off. On the chains, at regular intervals, there is a C bracket,
> to latch on each weight. One problem we do have, is with one arm of the
> C snapping off, when they become fragile, due to UV exposure.
>
> Once a C is broken on the chain, it cannot be fixed or repaired, the
> whole chain has to be replaced.

Yes - I have a few metres knocking around when I repaired our patio
blinds which suffered that.

And weirdly despite being used daily, the little "C" clips have stayed
firmly in place.

A visual inspection shows the weighted inserts and the "C" clips to be
identical in both instances. The only difference being the patio is c. 2m
drop and the bedroom just over 1m.

Re: Vertical blinds weights "chain" advice

<uueqeq$2k50u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128265&group=uk.d-i-y#128265

From: noinv@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 17:21:30 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:N3PRtKpD00QIbTB1dJh+b+cmA4o=
 by: Brian - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 17:21 UTC

Harry Bloomfield Esq <a@harrym1byt.plus.com> wrote:
> On 01/04/2024 14:48, Jethro_uk wrote:
>> 4 times I have put each one into position with a "snap" and 4 times over
>> a few days they start falling off.
>>
>> Am I missing a trick here ? Is there a magic drop of something that will
>> prevent them falling off ?
>
> We have several vertical blinds, and have no problem with the chains
> falling off. On the chains, at regular intervals, there is a C bracket,
> to latch on each weight. One problem we do have, is with one arm of the
> C snapping off, when they become fragile, due to UV exposure.
>
> Once a C is broken on the chain, it cannot be fixed or repaired, the
> whole chain has to be replaced.

You can buy new weights ( the plastic bit with a weight, plastic ‘wings ‘,
weight cage, etc ) and cord with the C clips. As I recall, I bought the
last set off EBay. They come in different sizes.

As you say, the problem is exposure to Sunlight / uV. They go brittle.

Re: Vertical blinds weights "chain" advice

<20240401203022.337cddd0@jrenewsid.jretrading.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128277&group=uk.d-i-y#128277

From: joe@jretrading.com (Joe)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 20:30:22 +0100
 by: Joe - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 19:30 UTC

On Mon, 1 Apr 2024 17:21:30 -0000 (UTC)
Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:

> Harry Bloomfield Esq <a@harrym1byt.plus.com> wrote:
> > On 01/04/2024 14:48, Jethro_uk wrote:
> >> 4 times I have put each one into position with a "snap" and 4
> >> times over a few days they start falling off.
> >>
> >> Am I missing a trick here ? Is there a magic drop of something
> >> that will prevent them falling off ?
> >
> > We have several vertical blinds, and have no problem with the
> > chains falling off. On the chains, at regular intervals, there is a
> > C bracket, to latch on each weight. One problem we do have, is with
> > one arm of the C snapping off, when they become fragile, due to UV
> > exposure.
> >
> > Once a C is broken on the chain, it cannot be fixed or repaired,
> > the whole chain has to be replaced.
> >

> You can buy new weights ( the plastic bit with a weight, plastic
> ‘wings ‘, weight cage, etc ) and cord with the C clips. As I recall,
> I bought the last set off EBay. They come in different sizes.
>
> As you say, the problem is exposure to Sunlight / uV. They go
> brittle.

Something I only realised the second time I replaced some chain: you
don't have to 'snap' the C clips on or off the weights.

Difficult to describe, but the top bar of the lug of the weight the
chain attaches to is slightly thinner than the main lug, about the
thickness of the gap in the C clip, so the clip can be lifted on or off
the weight without putting any stress on it.

No idea why they are falling off, though, I've never seen that happen.

--
Joe

Re: Vertical blinds weights "chain" advice

<uufglr$2p6o9$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128298&group=uk.d-i-y#128298

From: steve@walker-family.me.uk (SteveW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 00:40:42 +0100
 by: SteveW - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 23:40 UTC

On 01/04/2024 14:48, Jethro_uk wrote:
> Fitted a nice set of vertical blinds in the bedroom, to replace curtains.
>
> Very happy with my measurements and choice of material - quite the
> candidate for automation.
>
> However, there seems to be an ongoing issue with the little plastic
> "chain" that connects the louvres at the bottom via the weighted inserts,
>
> There are clips every "x" cm on the chain that are supposed to snap onto
> a matching "bar" on the end of the weighted insert.
>
> 4 times I have put each one into position with a "snap" and 4 times over
> a few days they start falling off.
>
> Am I missing a trick here ? Is there a magic drop of something that will
> prevent them falling off ?
>
> Obviously when they're fitted they seem tight. So why are they then
> falling off with seemingly no force ?

We've never had a problem with those "chains", other than them being
pulled out or even broken, by our cats. You haven't got any pets that
have access have you?

Re: Vertical blinds weights "chain" advice

<uvb5ac$14dl3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128786&group=uk.d-i-y#128786

From: jethro_uk@hotmailbin.com (Jethro_uk)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 11:18:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jethro_uk - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 11:18 UTC

On Mon, 01 Apr 2024 13:48:43 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

> Fitted a nice set of vertical blinds in the bedroom, to replace
> curtains.
>
> Very happy with my measurements and choice of material - quite the
> candidate for automation.
>
> However, there seems to be an ongoing issue with the little plastic
> "chain" that connects the louvres at the bottom via the weighted
> inserts,
>
> There are clips every "x" cm on the chain that are supposed to snap onto
> a matching "bar" on the end of the weighted insert.
>
> 4 times I have put each one into position with a "snap" and 4 times over
> a few days they start falling off.
>
> Am I missing a trick here ? Is there a magic drop of something that will
> prevent them falling off ?
>
> Obviously when they're fitted they seem tight. So why are they then
> falling off with seemingly no force ?

Very embasrassing update to this

walking past a set at work, I suddenly saw that the weights are in the
other way round - the "wings" need to be at the top. This allows the
chain connector to "fall" onto the clip and gravity keeps it there.

Red face all round with the weak excuse that(a) it wasn't shown on the
instructions and (b) google was useless as per.

Re: Vertical blinds weights "chain" advice

<l7sofcFm7nvU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128788&group=uk.d-i-y#128788

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 13:41:14 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 12:41 UTC

Jethro_uk wrote:

> Very embasrassing update to this
>
> walking past a set at work, I suddenly saw that the weights are in the
> other way round - the "wings" need to be at the top.

A bit late to say that a photo might have prompted someone to say
"you numpty they're upside-down"

Re: Vertical blinds weights "chain" advice

<uvbjt7$14dl3$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128790&group=uk.d-i-y#128790

From: jethro_uk@hotmailbin.com (Jethro_uk)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 15:27:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jethro_uk - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 15:27 UTC

On Fri, 12 Apr 2024 13:41:14 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

> Jethro_uk wrote:
>
>> Very embasrassing update to this
>>
>> walking past a set at work, I suddenly saw that the weights are in the
>> other way round - the "wings" need to be at the top.
>
> A bit late to say that a photo might have prompted someone to say "you
> numpty they're upside-down"

Late, but very well noted.