Not valid with other offers or specials.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Wiring - lightswitch

SubjectAuthor
* Wiring - lightswitchScott
+* Re: Wiring - lightswitchAndy Burns
|`- Re: Wiring - lightswitchScott
+* Re: Wiring - lightswitchalan_m
|`* Re: Wiring - lightswitchScott
| `* Re: Wiring - lightswitchalan_m
|  `- Re: Wiring - lightswitchScott
+* Re: Wiring - lightswitchFredxx
|`* Re: Wiring - lightswitchScott
| `* Re: Wiring - lightswitchScott
|  `* Re: Wiring - lightswitchFredxx
|   `- Re: Wiring - lightswitchScott
+* Re: Wiring - lightswitchSoup
|`* Re: Wiring - lightswitchScott
| `* Re: Wiring - lightswitchSoup
|  `* Re: Wiring - lightswitchSteveW
|   `- Re: Wiring - lightswitchNY
`- Re: Wiring - lightswitchJohn Rumm

1
Wiring - lightswitch

<ru1e0j51pc31nluumksgkhnhpft1ib7v45@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128115&group=uk.d-i-y#128115

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Wiring - lightswitch
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 18:31:41 +0000
 by: Scott - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 18:31 UTC

I was thinking about replacing a lightswitch but when I looked behind
there are three red wires - one joined to one terminal and two joined
to the other. There is also a black wire that just seems to be passing
through. This is a bedroom with one light and one switch. I always
thought the live travelled from the ceiling to the switch and back
again and the neutral stayed in the ceiling. Any wisdom?

Re: Wiring - lightswitch

<l6ogf3F7piiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128116&group=uk.d-i-y#128116

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Wiring - lightswitch
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 18:43:44 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 18:43 UTC

On 29/03/2024 18:31, Scott wrote:

> I was thinking about replacing a lightswitch but when I looked behind
> there are three red wires - one joined to one terminal and two joined
> to the other. There is also a black wire that just seems to be passing
> through. This is a bedroom with one light and one switch. I always
> thought the live travelled from the ceiling to the switch and back
> again and the neutral stayed in the ceiling. Any wisdom?

Almost sounds like loop through the switch wiring

<http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/House_Wiring_for_Beginners#Lighting>

but if there are 3x red, you'd expect 3x black too, or something funky
is going on ... photo(s)?

Re: Wiring - lightswitch

<l6ohciF82bcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128117&group=uk.d-i-y#128117

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 18:59:30 +0000
 by: alan_m - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 18:59 UTC

On 29/03/2024 18:31, Scott wrote:
> I was thinking about replacing a lightswitch but when I looked behind
> there are three red wires - one joined to one terminal and two joined
> to the other. There is also a black wire that just seems to be passing
> through. This is a bedroom with one light and one switch. I always
> thought the live travelled from the ceiling to the switch and back
> again and the neutral stayed in the ceiling. Any wisdom?

These days with smart switches etc. the neutral is often routed to the
switch back box so that the switch can get live and neutral for power.

See 2 plate method.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G4fW2DeqPA

Re: Wiring - lightswitch

<3d6e0jdqhnh8egj1gp0e6apit5bt16hhd6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128119&group=uk.d-i-y#128119

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 19:46:10 +0000
 by: Scott - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 19:46 UTC

On Fri, 29 Mar 2024 18:43:44 +0000, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
wrote:

>On 29/03/2024 18:31, Scott wrote:
>
>> I was thinking about replacing a lightswitch but when I looked behind
>> there are three red wires - one joined to one terminal and two joined
>> to the other. There is also a black wire that just seems to be passing
>> through. This is a bedroom with one light and one switch. I always
>> thought the live travelled from the ceiling to the switch and back
>> again and the neutral stayed in the ceiling. Any wisdom?
>
>Almost sounds like loop through the switch wiring
>
><http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/House_Wiring_for_Beginners#Lighting>
>
>but if there are 3x red, you'd expect 3x black too, or something funky
>is going on ... photo(s)?

I'll try and get a photo in daylight. There are other peculiarites
(such as two switches that do not seem to do anything). I am trying to
organise a full inspection and wiring check.

Re: Wiring - lightswitch

<6n6e0jtarpc209r0fnmr2bhnjfmsqs5901@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128121&group=uk.d-i-y#128121

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 19:48:23 +0000
 by: Scott - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 19:48 UTC

On Fri, 29 Mar 2024 18:59:30 +0000, alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk>
wrote:

>On 29/03/2024 18:31, Scott wrote:
>> I was thinking about replacing a lightswitch but when I looked behind
>> there are three red wires - one joined to one terminal and two joined
>> to the other. There is also a black wire that just seems to be passing
>> through. This is a bedroom with one light and one switch. I always
>> thought the live travelled from the ceiling to the switch and back
>> again and the neutral stayed in the ceiling. Any wisdom?
>
>These days with smart switches etc. the neutral is often routed to the
>switch back box so that the switch can get live and neutral for power.
>
>See 2 plate method.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G4fW2DeqPA

I think the fact that the wires are red and black rules out this
possibility.

Re: Wiring - lightswitch

<l6ol78F8jppU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128122&group=uk.d-i-y#128122

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 20:04:56 +0000
 by: alan_m - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 20:04 UTC

On 29/03/2024 19:48, Scott wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Mar 2024 18:59:30 +0000, alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> On 29/03/2024 18:31, Scott wrote:
>>> I was thinking about replacing a lightswitch but when I looked behind
>>> there are three red wires - one joined to one terminal and two joined
>>> to the other. There is also a black wire that just seems to be passing
>>> through. This is a bedroom with one light and one switch. I always
>>> thought the live travelled from the ceiling to the switch and back
>>> again and the neutral stayed in the ceiling. Any wisdom?
>>
>> These days with smart switches etc. the neutral is often routed to the
>> switch back box so that the switch can get live and neutral for power.
>>
>> See 2 plate method.
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G4fW2DeqPA
>
> I think the fact that the wires are red and black rules out this
> possibility.

Could at one time been a ceiling pull cord switch above a bed with
either the wall switch or the ceiling switch being able to turn on/off
the light. If the ceiling switch has been removed the wall switch
wiring may have been modified (without removing any wires).

Re: Wiring - lightswitch

<uu76vl$g4fn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128123&group=uk.d-i-y#128123

From: fredxx@spam.invalid (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 20:06:13 +0000
 by: Fredxx - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 20:06 UTC

On 29/03/2024 18:31, Scott wrote:
> I was thinking about replacing a lightswitch but when I looked behind
> there are three red wires - one joined to one terminal and two joined
> to the other. There is also a black wire that just seems to be passing
> through. This is a bedroom with one light and one switch. I always
> thought the live travelled from the ceiling to the switch and back
> again and the neutral stayed in the ceiling. Any wisdom?

I have wiring behind a light switch like that.

It's a convenient route to get power for lighting from one floor to the
next.

Re: Wiring - lightswitch

<bnbe0jtt23ori8ve5bcnjhotvtm7lmpfm7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128127&group=uk.d-i-y#128127

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 21:14:33 +0000
 by: Scott - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 21:14 UTC

On Fri, 29 Mar 2024 20:04:56 +0000, alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk>
wrote:

>On 29/03/2024 19:48, Scott wrote:
>> On Fri, 29 Mar 2024 18:59:30 +0000, alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk>
>> wrote:

>>> These days with smart switches etc. the neutral is often routed to the
>>> switch back box so that the switch can get live and neutral for power.
>>>
>>> See 2 plate method.
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G4fW2DeqPA
>>
>> I think the fact that the wires are red and black rules out this
>> possibility.
>
>Could at one time been a ceiling pull cord switch above a bed with
>either the wall switch or the ceiling switch being able to turn on/off
>the light. If the ceiling switch has been removed the wall switch
>wiring may have been modified (without removing any wires).

That is an interesting suggestion. I'll ask the electrician to check
it out. I am hoping he does not find any VIR cable as this is
apparently bad news.

Re: Wiring - lightswitch

<tqbe0jd794of14d8p5p77rgraoc4t1lbl3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128128&group=uk.d-i-y#128128

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 21:15:48 +0000
 by: Scott - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 21:15 UTC

On Fri, 29 Mar 2024 20:06:13 +0000, Fredxx <fredxx@spam.invalid>
wrote:

>On 29/03/2024 18:31, Scott wrote:
>> I was thinking about replacing a lightswitch but when I looked behind
>> there are three red wires - one joined to one terminal and two joined
>> to the other. There is also a black wire that just seems to be passing
>> through. This is a bedroom with one light and one switch. I always
>> thought the live travelled from the ceiling to the switch and back
>> again and the neutral stayed in the ceiling. Any wisdom?
>
>I have wiring behind a light switch like that.
>
>It's a convenient route to get power for lighting from one floor to the
>next.

That's interesting too. I shall could check the breakers in daylight.

Re: Wiring - lightswitch

<uu8m5b$tm3s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128134&group=uk.d-i-y#128134

From: cheez2011@gmail.com (Soup)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 09:31:23 +0000
 by: Soup - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 09:31 UTC

On 29/03/2024 18:31, Scott wrote:
> I was thinking about replacing a lightswitch but when I looked behind
> there are three red wires - one joined to one terminal and two joined
> to the other. There is also a black wire that just seems to be passing
> through. This is a bedroom with one light and one switch. I always
> thought the live travelled from the ceiling to the switch and back
> again and the neutral stayed in the ceiling. Any wisdom?

When replacing it swap one wire at a time so each wire is connected in
the same place it was (this assumes like for like replacement of the
switch).
Although this is a DIY group. if totally uncertain how to proceed
get an electrician in, IME electricity is not to be Shpxrq(ROT 13) with

Re: Wiring - lightswitch

<b2pf0jte63j29tj79tb3hklh93srse0c7r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128135&group=uk.d-i-y#128135

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 10:10:53 +0000
 by: Scott - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 10:10 UTC

On Sat, 30 Mar 2024 09:31:23 +0000, Soup <cheez2011@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 29/03/2024 18:31, Scott wrote:
>> I was thinking about replacing a lightswitch but when I looked behind
>> there are three red wires - one joined to one terminal and two joined
>> to the other. There is also a black wire that just seems to be passing
>> through. This is a bedroom with one light and one switch. I always
>> thought the live travelled from the ceiling to the switch and back
>> again and the neutral stayed in the ceiling. Any wisdom?
>

>When replacing it swap one wire at a time so each wire is connected in
>the same place it was (this assumes like for like replacement of the
>switch).
> Although this is a DIY group. if totally uncertain how to proceed
>get an electrician in, IME electricity is not to be Shpxrq(ROT 13) with

I very much agree with your latter point. I am arranging for an
electrician to carry out a wiring check. I probably want a new RCBO
equipped consumer unit (at my last flat at one time the computer
crashed out when the washing machine started the spin cycle).

Re: Wiring - lightswitch

<m9pf0jlc0767ihrotqthvj39ugckm9nvdc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128137&group=uk.d-i-y#128137

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 10:11:50 +0000
 by: Scott - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 10:11 UTC

On Fri, 29 Mar 2024 21:15:48 +0000, Scott
<newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>On Fri, 29 Mar 2024 20:06:13 +0000, Fredxx <fredxx@spam.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>On 29/03/2024 18:31, Scott wrote:
>>> I was thinking about replacing a lightswitch but when I looked behind
>>> there are three red wires - one joined to one terminal and two joined
>>> to the other. There is also a black wire that just seems to be passing
>>> through. This is a bedroom with one light and one switch. I always
>>> thought the live travelled from the ceiling to the switch and back
>>> again and the neutral stayed in the ceiling. Any wisdom?
>>
>>I have wiring behind a light switch like that.
>>
>>It's a convenient route to get power for lighting from one floor to the
>>next.
>
>That's interesting too. I shall could check the breakers in daylight.

I have looked. The upstairs and downstairs lights are on separate
circuits.

Re: Wiring - lightswitch

<uu8r1d$up6p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128140&group=uk.d-i-y#128140

From: cheez2011@gmail.com (Soup)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 10:54:37 +0000
 by: Soup - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 10:54 UTC

On 30/03/2024 10:10, Scott wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Mar 2024 09:31:23 +0000, Soup <cheez2011@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 29/03/2024 18:31, Scott wrote:
>>> I was thinking about replacing a lightswitch but when I looked behind
>>> there are three red wires - one joined to one terminal and two joined
>>> to the other. There is also a black wire that just seems to be passing
>>> through. This is a bedroom with one light and one switch. I always
>>> thought the live travelled from the ceiling to the switch and back
>>> again and the neutral stayed in the ceiling. Any wisdom?
>>

>> When replacing it swap one wire at a time so each wire is connected in
>> the same place it was (this assumes like for like replacement of the
>> switch).
>> Although this is a DIY group. if totally uncertain how to proceed
>> get an electrician in, IME electricity is not to be Shpxrq(ROT 13) with
>
> I very much agree with your latter point. I am arranging for an
> electrician to carry out a wiring check. I probably want a new RCBO
> equipped consumer unit (at my last flat at one time the computer
> crashed out when the washing machine started the spin cycle).

ME:- Got a belt from an old Dancette record player I was faffing with
(was only eight or so) I hadn't unplugged it from the wall (didn't know
any better).
Was sticking my hands and various tools into its innards when B L A M
240 Volts up one finger and down the next(if it had been across the
heart don't think I would still be here). Even 'only' across my fingers
still managed to throw (or rather it energised my muscles and I threw
myself) me across the room.
Took me the rest of the day to stop crying and shaking. Have been
wary of electricity ever since.
E.G. Turn the whole house off rather than a specific circuit or at the
very least check, check and check again that any circuit I am working on
is actually dead.

Re: Wiring - lightswitch

<uu9iaa$149th$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128152&group=uk.d-i-y#128152

From: steve@walker-family.me.uk (SteveW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 17:31:53 +0000
 by: SteveW - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 17:31 UTC

On 30/03/2024 10:54, Soup wrote:
> On 30/03/2024 10:10, Scott wrote:

>>> When replacing it swap one wire at a time so each wire is connected in
>>> the same place it was (this assumes like for like replacement of the
>>> switch).
>>>    Although this is a DIY group. if totally uncertain  how to proceed
>>> get an electrician in, IME electricity is not to be Shpxrq(ROT 13) with
>>
>> I very much agree with your latter point. I am arranging for an
>> electrician to carry out a wiring check. I probably want a new RCBO
>> equipped consumer unit (at my last flat at one time the computer
>> crashed out when the washing machine started the spin cycle).
>
> ME:- Got a belt from an old Dancette record player I was faffing with
> (was only eight or so) I hadn't unplugged it from the wall (didn't know
> any better).

I got caught out by a reel-to-reel tape recorder - unexpectedly, the
erase head was mains powered.

Re: Wiring - lightswitch

<946dnWNohL8Q75X7nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128157&group=uk.d-i-y#128157

Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 20:14:03 +0000
From: me@privacy.net (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
 by: NY - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 20:14 UTC

On 30/03/2024 17:31, SteveW wrote:
> On 30/03/2024 10:54, Soup wrote:

>> ME:- Got a belt from an old Dancette record player I was faffing with
>> (was only eight or so) I hadn't unplugged it from the wall (didn't
>> know any better).
>
> I got caught out by a reel-to-reel tape recorder - unexpectedly, the
> erase head was mains powered.

I got a belt from a reel-to-reel tape recorder as child. I forgot that
even when the main switch on the tape recorder was in the "off"
position, there was still power to the input terminals on that switch! I
still have the two marks on my finger that happened to brush the live
and neutral where the wires were soldered to the switch contacts.

I also got a belt much more recently from a GU10 light fitting. I was
gradually changing the fittings in a room that has a grid of GU10s in
the ceiling. I'd been really good about turning off at least the wall
switch and ideally the MCB in the fuse box. I'd finished for the day,
then my wife said "Can you do that one as well". The crucial thing is
that the lightbulbs were Philips Hue - these can be turned off within
the bulb housing (via a smartphone app) so it is possible for the bulb
to be off even when there is mains to it. Guess which idiot forgot that
and assumed "no light" means "switch is off at the wall". The shock was
the mildest mains shock I've ever had, probably because the RCD tripped
within the stated 30 msec; all previous shocks were in the days before
RCDs so the power just carried on until I ripped my hand away.

Re: Wiring - lightswitch

<uuaden$1aq1a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128164&group=uk.d-i-y#128164

From: see.my.signature@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 02:15:02 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 01:15 UTC

On 29/03/2024 18:31, Scott wrote:
> I was thinking about replacing a lightswitch but when I looked behind
> there are three red wires - one joined to one terminal and two joined
> to the other. There is also a black wire that just seems to be passing
> through. This is a bedroom with one light and one switch. I always
> thought the live travelled from the ceiling to the switch and back
> again and the neutral stayed in the ceiling. Any wisdom?

Could be "loop through switch" style wiring:

https://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/House_Wiring_for_Beginners#Other_Wiring_Options

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Wiring - lightswitch

<uucg61$1vq91$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128207&group=uk.d-i-y#128207

From: fredxx@spam.invalid (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 21:13:54 +0100
 by: Fredxx - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 20:13 UTC

On 30/03/2024 10:11, Scott wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Mar 2024 21:15:48 +0000, Scott
> <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 29 Mar 2024 20:06:13 +0000, Fredxx <fredxx@spam.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> I have wiring behind a light switch like that.
>>>
>>> It's a convenient route to get power for lighting from one floor to the
>>> next.
>>
>> That's interesting too. I shall could check the breakers in daylight.
>
> I have looked. The upstairs and downstairs lights are on separate
> circuits.

So are mine.

The point I was making is that power to my upstairs lighting circuit is
routed via a switch from the floor to the ceiling.

The conductors run behind the switch, except the live feed is teed off
to the switch and a single continues up the wall and along the ceiling
to the rose.

Re: Wiring - lightswitch

<khpl0jl37n045fbrtckam09reg9tqm2fhg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128264&group=uk.d-i-y#128264

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2024 17:53:35 +0100
 by: Scott - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 16:53 UTC

On Sun, 31 Mar 2024 21:13:54 +0100, Fredxx <fredxx@spam.invalid>
wrote:

>On 30/03/2024 10:11, Scott wrote:
>> On Fri, 29 Mar 2024 21:15:48 +0000, Scott
>> <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>>> That's interesting too. I shall could check the breakers in daylight.
>>
>> I have looked. The upstairs and downstairs lights are on separate
>> circuits.
>
>So are mine.
>
>The point I was making is that power to my upstairs lighting circuit is
>routed via a switch from the floor to the ceiling.
>
>The conductors run behind the switch, except the live feed is teed off
>to the switch and a single continues up the wall and along the ceiling
>to the rose.

Okay, thanks. I get it now. My conclusion is that I want a proper
electrician to check the wiring and consumer unit and to make
appropriate recommendations.