"He don't know me vewy well, DO he?" -- Bugs Bunny

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / What are the best (basically strongest) plastic screws made of?

SubjectAuthor
* What are the best (basically strongest) plastic screws made of?Chris Green
+* Re: What are the best (basically strongest) plastic screws made of?Theo
|`- Re: What are the best (basically strongest) plastic screws made of?The Natural Philosopher
+* Re: What are the best (basically strongest) plastic screws made of?Clive Arthur
|`- Re: What are the best (basically strongest) plastic screws made of?GB
`* Re: What are the best (basically strongest) plastic screws made of?Andy Burns
 +* Re: What are the best (basically strongest) plastic screws made of?Paul
 |`* Re: What are the best (basically strongest) plastic screws made of?alan_m
 | `* Re: What are the best (basically strongest) plastic screws made of?The Natural Philosopher
 |  `* Re: What are the best (basically strongest) plastic screws made of?GB
 |   `- Re: What are the best (basically strongest) plastic screws made of?The Natural Philosopher
 `* Re: What are the best (basically strongest) plastic screws made of?The Natural Philosopher
  `* Re: What are the best (basically strongest) plastic screws made of?Chris Green
   `* Re: What are the best (basically strongest) plastic screws made of?Paul
    `- Re: What are the best (basically strongest) plastic screws made of?Chris Green

1
What are the best (basically strongest) plastic screws made of?

<mng7ek-3gl71.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128491&group=uk.d-i-y#128491

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: What are the best (basically strongest) plastic screws made of?
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 10:20:22 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 09:20 UTC

I need some M4 x 12mm countersunk plastic screws. The obvious easily
obtained material is nylon but I see that some other plastics are also
available - e.g. clear acrylic.

I'm not expecting metal strength but it would be good to know which
(reasonably priced) plastic is going to be stronger. I'm aming to use
the screws through a sheet of closed-cell plastic to pull things
'into' the plastic (rather like upholstery buttons).

--
Chris Green
·

Re: What are the best (basically strongest) plastic screws made of?

<Vxv*ZTeHz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128494&group=uk.d-i-y#128494

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 06 Apr 2024 12:11:11 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 11:11 UTC

Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> I need some M4 x 12mm countersunk plastic screws. The obvious easily
> obtained material is nylon but I see that some other plastics are also
> available - e.g. clear acrylic.
>
> I'm not expecting metal strength but it would be good to know which
> (reasonably priced) plastic is going to be stronger. I'm aming to use
> the screws through a sheet of closed-cell plastic to pull things
> 'into' the plastic (rather like upholstery buttons).

Acrylic is very brittle and propagates cracks easily - not what you want for
a screw.

Nylon (polyamide/PA) is pretty good as a mechanical element. There's also
various forms of fibre-reinforced nylon (GFR PA) which are stronger but not
sure you can make a sensible fibre lay-up for a small screw.

Don't overtighten, as I think that's a common cause of nylon failure - the
screw head shears off.

Theo

Re: What are the best (basically strongest) plastic screws made of?

<uurceo$22brc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128495&group=uk.d-i-y#128495

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 12:42:15 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 11:42 UTC

On 06/04/2024 12:11, Theo wrote:
> Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>> I need some M4 x 12mm countersunk plastic screws. The obvious easily
>> obtained material is nylon but I see that some other plastics are also
>> available - e.g. clear acrylic.
>>
>> I'm not expecting metal strength but it would be good to know which
>> (reasonably priced) plastic is going to be stronger. I'm aming to use
>> the screws through a sheet of closed-cell plastic to pull things
>> 'into' the plastic (rather like upholstery buttons).
>
> Acrylic is very brittle and propagates cracks easily - not what you want for
> a screw.
>
> Nylon (polyamide/PA) is pretty good as a mechanical element. There's also
> various forms of fibre-reinforced nylon (GFR PA) which are stronger but not
> sure you can make a sensible fibre lay-up for a small screw.
>
> Don't overtighten, as I think that's a common cause of nylon failure - the
> screw head shears off.

Pretty much all there. I found acrylic as will, but if it is a low
grade plastic screw nylon seems to be most used

In the model aircraft arena, the ability of nylon bolts to shear in a
crash is desirable

I actually found that at least with cross heads, the screwdriver could
not exert enough torque to shear them - the heads just mashed first.

> Theo

"What kind of person is not interested in those things?"

"Jeremy Corbyn?"

Re: What are the best (basically strongest) plastic screws made of?

<uurs6r$25vkc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128496&group=uk.d-i-y#128496

From: clive@nowaytoday.co.uk (Clive Arthur)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 17:11:04 +0100
 by: Clive Arthur - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 16:11 UTC

On 06/04/2024 10:20, Chris Green wrote:
> I need some M4 x 12mm countersunk plastic screws. The obvious easily
> obtained material is nylon but I see that some other plastics are also
> available - e.g. clear acrylic.
>
> I'm not expecting metal strength but it would be good to know which
> (reasonably priced) plastic is going to be stronger. I'm aming to use
> the screws through a sheet of closed-cell plastic to pull things
> 'into' the plastic (rather like upholstery buttons).

I sometimes specify PEEK fasteners, mainly because of temperature.
They're pretty strong, though unreasonably priced.

https://highperformancepolymer.co.uk/products/countersunk-peek-flat-head-screws?variant=44169076539690

--
Cheers
Clive

Re: What are the best (basically strongest) plastic screws made of?

<uus1de$27a0s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128498&group=uk.d-i-y#128498

From: NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 18:39:58 +0100
 by: GB - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 17:39 UTC

On 06/04/2024 17:11, Clive Arthur wrote:
> On 06/04/2024 10:20, Chris Green wrote:
>> I need some M4 x 12mm countersunk plastic screws.  The obvious easily
>> obtained material is nylon but I see that some other plastics are also
>> available - e.g. clear acrylic.
>>
>> I'm not expecting metal strength but it would be good to know which
>> (reasonably priced) plastic is going to be stronger. I'm aming to use
>> the screws through a sheet of closed-cell plastic to pull things
>> 'into' the plastic (rather like upholstery buttons).
>
> I sometimes specify PEEK fasteners, mainly because of temperature.
> They're pretty strong, though unreasonably priced.
>
> https://highperformancepolymer.co.uk/products/countersunk-peek-flat-head-screws?variant=44169076539690

The good news is that the patent will expire pretty soon, assuming this
is the key one:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US8236919B2/en

Re: What are the best (basically strongest) plastic screws made of?

<l7do2hFe7hiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128506&group=uk.d-i-y#128506

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 21:02:24 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 20:02 UTC

Chris Green wrote:

> I need some M4 x 12mm countersunk plastic screws. The obvious easily
> obtained material is nylon

What about Delrin? aka Polyoxymethylene or POM

Re: What are the best (basically strongest) plastic screws made of?

<uut8f0$2jlae$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128518&group=uk.d-i-y#128518

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 00:46:22 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 04:46 UTC

On 4/6/2024 4:02 PM, Andy Burns wrote:
> Chris Green wrote:
>
>> I need some M4 x 12mm countersunk plastic screws.  The obvious easily
>> obtained material is nylon
>
> What about Delrin? aka Polyoxymethylene or POM

https://bbs-industrie.com/materials/plastic/pom/

"not particularly UV resistant"

*******

This is advice from CoPilot.

Q: What is the best material to use to make a uV-resistant screw ?

A: The best materials for making a UV-resistant screw are plastics like
Acrylic (PMMA), Polycarbonate, PTFE, HDPE, Polyetherimide, Polyphenylene Sulfide,
and Polyvinylidene Fluoride. These materials are known for their
excellent UV resistance and are suitable for outdoor applications where
exposure to sunlight is a concern.

For instance, Acrylic and Polycarbonate are both strong and durable,
with Polycarbonate being particularly noted for its impact resistance.

If you’re considering metal screws, stainless steel screws are a
good option as they offer exceptional rust resistance and can
withstand outdoor conditions.

It’s important to choose the right material based on the specific
requirements of your application, such as strength, flexibility,
and environmental resistance.

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/polycarbonate-screws/?s=polycarbonate-screws

Paul

Re: What are the best (basically strongest) plastic screws made of?

<l7etsqFjekkU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128520&group=uk.d-i-y#128520

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 07:47:55 +0100
 by: alan_m - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 06:47 UTC

On 07/04/2024 05:46, Paul wrote:
> On 4/6/2024 4:02 PM, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Chris Green wrote:
>>
>>> I need some M4 x 12mm countersunk plastic screws.  The obvious easily
>>> obtained material is nylon
>>
>> What about Delrin? aka Polyoxymethylene or POM
>>

> https://bbs-industrie.com/materials/plastic/pom/
>
> "not particularly UV resistant"
>
> *******
>
> This is advice from CoPilot.
>
> Q: What is the best material to use to make a uV-resistant screw ?
>
> A: The best materials for making a UV-resistant screw are plastics like
> Acrylic (PMMA), Polycarbonate, PTFE, HDPE, Polyetherimide, Polyphenylene Sulfide,
> and Polyvinylidene Fluoride. These materials are known for their
> excellent UV resistance and are suitable for outdoor applications where
> exposure to sunlight is a concern.
>
> For instance, Acrylic and Polycarbonate are both strong and durable,
> with Polycarbonate being particularly noted for its impact resistance.
>
> If you’re considering metal screws, stainless steel screws are a
> good option as they offer exceptional rust resistance and can
> withstand outdoor conditions.
>
> It’s important to choose the right material based on the specific
> requirements of your application, such as strength, flexibility,
> and environmental resistance.
>
> https://www.mcmaster.com/products/polycarbonate-screws/?s=polycarbonate-screws

As that article mentions, it depends on the application and also
reliance on the material not being too malleable or brittle. If trying
to hold two pieces together that have a natural tendency to pull apart
you will not want to use a material that may stretch over time or when
fitting, nor when attempting to tighten that last quarter of a turn just
snaps.

It's much like the "plastic" back washers that come with many taps these
days. Great that they will not rust* but I've found when in an awkward
position and trying to tighten them the internal tread can deform and
jump back a tread effectively loosening the nut as you tighten. Once
this has happened once the chances of tightening are zero. I always
throw away the plastic back nuts and purchase the brass* versions.

*
I've encountered brass coloured steel versions that have rusted over 15
years :(

Re: What are the best (basically strongest) plastic screws made of?

<uutn77$2mk6a$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128527&group=uk.d-i-y#128527

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 09:58:15 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 08:58 UTC

On 06/04/2024 21:02, Andy Burns wrote:
> Chris Green wrote:
>
>> I need some M4 x 12mm countersunk plastic screws.  The obvious easily
>> obtained material is nylon
>
> What about Delrin? aka Polyoxymethylene or POM

I could not find anyone making screws out of that.

--
“The fundamental cause of the trouble in the modern world today is that
the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt."

- Bertrand Russell

Re: What are the best (basically strongest) plastic screws made of?

<uutnbj$2mk6a$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128528&group=uk.d-i-y#128528

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 10:00:35 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 09:00 UTC

On 07/04/2024 07:47, alan_m wrote:
> It's much like the "plastic" back washers that come with many taps these
> days. Great that they will not rust* but I've found when in an awkward
> position and trying to tighten them the internal tread can deform and
> jump back a tread effectively loosening the nut as you tighten. Once
> this has happened once the chances of tightening are zero. I always
> throw away the plastic back nuts and purchase the brass* versions.

Yes 100%. I have a wobbly tap with an untightenable cracked plastic nut
that is in such an awkward place it been waiting around 6 years to be
replaced...
--
“The fundamental cause of the trouble in the modern world today is that
the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt."

- Bertrand Russell

Re: What are the best (basically strongest) plastic screws made of?

<2braek-q63e1.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128557&group=uk.d-i-y#128557

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 16:39:46 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 15:39 UTC

The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 06/04/2024 21:02, Andy Burns wrote:
> > Chris Green wrote:
> >
> >> I need some M4 x 12mm countersunk plastic screws.  The obvious easily
> >> obtained material is nylon
> >
> > What about Delrin? aka Polyoxymethylene or POM
> >
> I could not find anyone making screws out of that.

Quite! OP here, the basic choice for easily obtained (and not stupidly
expensive) screws seems to be between nylon and acrylic. Having found
a few sites with information I think nylon is almost certainly the way
to go for my application.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: What are the best (basically strongest) plastic screws made of?

<uuugtv$2sgpm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128558&group=uk.d-i-y#128558

From: NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 17:17:04 +0100
 by: GB - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 16:17 UTC

> On 07/04/2024 07:47, alan_m wrote:
>> It's much like the "plastic" back washers that come with many taps
>> these days. Great that they will not rust* but I've found when in an
>> awkward position and trying to tighten them the internal tread can
>> deform and jump back a tread effectively loosening the nut as you
>> tighten. Once this has happened once the chances of tightening are
>> zero. I always throw away the plastic back nuts and purchase the
>> brass* versions.
>
> Yes 100%. I have a wobbly tap with an untightenable cracked plastic nut
> that is in such an awkward place it been waiting around 6 years to be
> replaced...
Is it wobbly enough to get a squirt of silicone under the flange to bond
it to the sink.

Re: What are the best (basically strongest) plastic screws made of?

<uv07lj$3cc11$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128617&group=uk.d-i-y#128617

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 08:51:15 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 07:51 UTC

On 07/04/2024 17:17, GB wrote:
> On 07/04/2024 10:00, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>> On 07/04/2024 07:47, alan_m wrote:
>>> It's much like the "plastic" back washers that come with many taps
>>> these days. Great that they will not rust* but I've found when in an
>>> awkward position and trying to tighten them the internal tread can
>>> deform and jump back a tread effectively loosening the nut as you
>>> tighten. Once this has happened once the chances of tightening are
>>> zero. I always throw away the plastic back nuts and purchase the
>>> brass* versions.
>>
>> Yes 100%. I have a wobbly tap with an untightenable cracked plastic
>> nut that is in such an awkward place it been waiting around 6 years to
>> be replaced...
> Is it wobbly enough to get a squirt of silicone under the flange to bond
> it to the sink.
BTDTGTTS

It just unscrewed even more

--
“It is not the truth of Marxism that explains the willingness of
intellectuals to believe it, but the power that it confers on

Re: What are the best (basically strongest) plastic screws made of?

<uv0927$3cmsc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128622&group=uk.d-i-y#128622

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 04:15:01 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 08:15 UTC

On 4/7/2024 11:39 AM, Chris Green wrote:
> The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> What about Delrin? aka Polyoxymethylene or POM
>>>
>> I could not find anyone making screws out of that.
>>
> Quite! OP here, the basic choice for easily obtained (and not stupidly
> expensive) screws seems to be between nylon and acrylic. Having found
> a few sites with information I think nylon is almost certainly the way
> to go for my application.

Is this an outdoor application ?

White nylon seems quite UV sensitive (a problem after one year).
Black nylon is better, but they don't make screws of it (at least 4 to 5 year life).

You may want to review thread design, in case what was tapped into the
steel, is different than how they cut the plastic ones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw_thread

Paul

Re: What are the best (basically strongest) plastic screws made of?

<aptcek-8l3i1.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128632&group=uk.d-i-y#128632

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 11:33:46 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 10:33 UTC

Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
> On 4/7/2024 11:39 AM, Chris Green wrote:
> > The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> >> I could not find anyone making screws out of that.
> >>
> > Quite! OP here, the basic choice for easily obtained (and not stupidly
> > expensive) screws seems to be between nylon and acrylic. Having found
> > a few sites with information I think nylon is almost certainly the way
> > to go for my application.
> >

> Is this an outdoor application ?

No, it's inside and hidden under panelling so will be kept in the
dark! :-)

--
Chris Green
·