And then there was the lawyer that stepped in cow manure and thought he was melting...

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: "Plus-minus" screwdriver - a revelation!

SubjectAuthor
* "Plus-minus" screwdriver - a revelation!nothanks
+* Re: "Plus-minus" screwdriver - a revelation!Cursitor Doom
|+* Re: "Plus-minus" screwdriver - a revelation!Fredxx
||`* Re: "Plus-minus" screwdriver - a revelation!Bob Eager
|| `- Re: "Plus-minus" screwdriver - a revelation!Fredxx
|+- Re: "Plus-minus" screwdriver - a revelation!Joe
|`- Re: "Plus-minus" screwdriver - a revelation!nothanks
+- Re: "Plus-minus" screwdriver - a revelation!Andy Burns
+- Re: "Plus-minus" screwdriver - a revelation!Theo
+- Re: "Plus-minus" screwdriver - a revelation!Harry Bloomfield Esq
+* Re: "Plus-minus" screwdriver - a revelation!TimW
|`* Re: "Plus-minus" screwdriver - a revelation!Chris Green
| `- Re: "Plus-minus" screwdriver - a revelation!TimW
`* Re: "Plus-minus" screwdriver - a revelation!Grumps
 `* Re: "Plus-minus" screwdriver - a revelation!Harry Bloomfield Esq
  `- Re: "Plus-minus" screwdriver - a revelation!Grumps

1
"Plus-minus" screwdriver - a revelation!

<l7gh04Fr188U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128591&group=uk.d-i-y#128591

From: nothanks@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: "Plus-minus" screwdriver - a revelation!
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 22:20:05 +0100
 by: nothanks@aolbin.com - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 21:20 UTC

For a large number of years I've cursed about the screws in MCBs, and
the like, being made of cheese and not quite right for either pozi,
philips or flat drivers. Last week I discovered plus-minus screwdrivers
and bought one - it's a revelation. Suddenly the screws in MCBs are easy
to tighten/loosen and the screwdriver doesn't slip and bu&&er-up the
screw head. I wish I'd known this before so am posting here for those
others with a similar unknown unknown.

Re: "Plus-minus" screwdriver - a revelation!

<k1461jtqad505hb6c0er46gh8aqi3de7lq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128592&group=uk.d-i-y#128592

From: cd@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: "Plus-minus" screwdriver - a revelation!
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2024 22:31:23 +0100
 by: Cursitor Doom - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 21:31 UTC

On Sun, 7 Apr 2024 22:20:05 +0100, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:

>For a large number of years I've cursed about the screws in MCBs, and
>the like, being made of cheese and not quite right for either pozi,
>philips or flat drivers. Last week I discovered plus-minus screwdrivers
>and bought one - it's a revelation. Suddenly the screws in MCBs are easy
>to tighten/loosen and the screwdriver doesn't slip and bu&&er-up the
>screw head. I wish I'd known this before so am posting here for those
>others with a similar unknown unknown.

Also worth knowing the Japanese standard. They look for all the world
like Philips ones, but you will definitely get the 'cheese effect' if
you use a Philips driver for a Japanese standard screw!

Re: "Plus-minus" screwdriver - a revelation!

<uuv4q0$316d7$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128594&group=uk.d-i-y#128594

From: fredxx@spam.invalid (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 22:56:17 +0100
 by: Fredxx - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 21:56 UTC

On 07/04/2024 22:31, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Apr 2024 22:20:05 +0100, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
>
>> For a large number of years I've cursed about the screws in MCBs, and
>> the like, being made of cheese and not quite right for either pozi,
>> philips or flat drivers. Last week I discovered plus-minus screwdrivers
>> and bought one - it's a revelation. Suddenly the screws in MCBs are easy
>> to tighten/loosen and the screwdriver doesn't slip and bu&&er-up the
>> screw head. I wish I'd known this before so am posting here for those
>> others with a similar unknown unknown.
>
> Also worth knowing the Japanese standard. They look for all the world
> like Philips ones, but you will definitely get the 'cheese effect' if
> you use a Philips driver for a Japanese standard screw!

I would say Pozidriv screws are now the norm. Less cam-out that Philips
and so superior. I use them all the time.

Re: "Plus-minus" screwdriver - a revelation!

<l7gokvF9b0kU9@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128604&group=uk.d-i-y#128604

From: news0009@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 7 Apr 2024 23:30:39 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 23:30 UTC

On Sun, 07 Apr 2024 22:56:17 +0100, Fredxx wrote:

> On 07/04/2024 22:31, Cursitor Doom wrote:
>> On Sun, 7 Apr 2024 22:20:05 +0100, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
>>
>>> For a large number of years I've cursed about the screws in MCBs, and
>>> the like, being made of cheese and not quite right for either pozi,
>>> philips or flat drivers. Last week I discovered plus-minus
>>> screwdrivers and bought one - it's a revelation. Suddenly the screws
>>> in MCBs are easy to tighten/loosen and the screwdriver doesn't slip
>>> and bu&&er-up the screw head. I wish I'd known this before so am
>>> posting here for those others with a similar unknown unknown.
>>
>> Also worth knowing the Japanese standard. They look for all the world
>> like Philips ones, but you will definitely get the 'cheese effect' if
>> you use a Philips driver for a Japanese standard screw!
>
> I would say Pozidriv screws are now the norm. Less cam-out that Philips
> and so superior. I use them all the time.

Same here. But I also have a set of JIS screwdrivers for use when
necessary.

Re: "Plus-minus" screwdriver - a revelation!

<uuvcp8$32vah$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128606&group=uk.d-i-y#128606

From: fredxx@spam.invalid (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 01:12:24 +0100
 by: Fredxx - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 00:12 UTC

On 08/04/2024 00:30, Bob Eager wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Apr 2024 22:56:17 +0100, Fredxx wrote:

>>> Also worth knowing the Japanese standard. They look for all the world
>>> like Philips ones, but you will definitely get the 'cheese effect' if
>>> you use a Philips driver for a Japanese standard screw!
>>
>> I would say Pozidriv screws are now the norm. Less cam-out that Philips
>> and so superior. I use them all the time.
>
> Same here. But I also have a set of JIS screwdrivers for use when
> necessary.

I guess JIS was the type CD was talking about. In most instances a
Pozidriv bit will fit a JIS screw. I thought the Japanese had moved on
and generally adopted ISO 8764
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives#cite_ref-SupaVsPozi_24-0

Re: "Plus-minus" screwdriver - a revelation!

<20240408091034.4f1ddb24@jrenewsid.jretrading.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128619&group=uk.d-i-y#128619

From: joe@jretrading.com (Joe)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 09:10:34 +0100
 by: Joe - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 08:10 UTC

On Sun, 07 Apr 2024 22:31:23 +0100
Cursitor Doom <cd@notformail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Apr 2024 22:20:05 +0100, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
>
> >For a large number of years I've cursed about the screws in MCBs,
> >and the like, being made of cheese and not quite right for either
> >pozi, philips or flat drivers. Last week I discovered plus-minus
> >screwdrivers and bought one - it's a revelation. Suddenly the screws
> >in MCBs are easy to tighten/loosen and the screwdriver doesn't slip
> >and bu&&er-up the screw head. I wish I'd known this before so am
> >posting here for those others with a similar unknown unknown.
>
> Also worth knowing the Japanese standard. They look for all the world
> like Philips ones, but you will definitely get the 'cheese effect' if
> you use a Philips driver for a Japanese standard screw!

The Japanese, by the way, swear that their 'plus' screws are identical
to Philips. But you won't even get a Philips driver into the head of a
Japanese M2 screw.

--
Joe

Re: "Plus-minus" screwdriver - a revelation!

<l7ikunF6a9jU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128655&group=uk.d-i-y#128655

From: nothanks@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 17:39:51 +0100
 by: nothanks@aolbin.com - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 16:39 UTC

On 07/04/2024 22:31, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Apr 2024 22:20:05 +0100, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
>
>> For a large number of years I've cursed about the screws in MCBs, and
>> the like, being made of cheese and not quite right for either pozi,
>> philips or flat drivers. Last week I discovered plus-minus screwdrivers
>> and bought one - it's a revelation. Suddenly the screws in MCBs are easy
>> to tighten/loosen and the screwdriver doesn't slip and bu&&er-up the
>> screw head. I wish I'd known this before so am posting here for those
>> others with a similar unknown unknown.
>
> Also worth knowing the Japanese standard. They look for all the world
> like Philips ones, but you will definitely get the 'cheese effect' if
> you use a Philips driver for a Japanese standard screw!
Yes, I discovered those a while ago - from someone here, I think

Re: "Plus-minus" screwdriver - a revelation!

<l7il21F6b33U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128657&group=uk.d-i-y#128657

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 17:41:35 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 16:41 UTC

nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:

> Last week I discovered plus-minus screwdrivers

aka "Modulo" screwdriver.

Re: "Plus-minus" screwdriver - a revelation!

<Sxv*wJqHz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128658&group=uk.d-i-y#128658

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 08 Apr 2024 18:03:20 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 17:03 UTC

nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
> For a large number of years I've cursed about the screws in MCBs, and
> the like, being made of cheese and not quite right for either pozi,
> philips or flat drivers. Last week I discovered plus-minus screwdrivers
> and bought one - it's a revelation. Suddenly the screws in MCBs are easy
> to tighten/loosen and the screwdriver doesn't slip and bu&&er-up the
> screw head. I wish I'd known this before so am posting here for those
> others with a similar unknown unknown.

That's neat. I wonder if these have a 1/4" shank:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wiha-2831141-34589/dp/B003A67SAG/

Narrow enough to get into the MCB, but use a regular handle / 1/4" torque
wrench / etc.

(they say 6mm shank, but not sure if that's really 6.35mm or something else.
Of course they want you do use their handle system, but I don't)

Theo

Re: "Plus-minus" screwdriver - a revelation!

<uv1gv7$3lsqi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128666&group=uk.d-i-y#128666

From: a@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 20:36:07 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 19:36 UTC

On 07/04/2024 22:20, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
> For a large number of years I've cursed about the screws in MCBs, and
> the like, being made of cheese and not quite right for either pozi,
> philips or flat drivers. Last week I discovered plus-minus screwdrivers
> and bought one - it's a revelation. Suddenly the screws in MCBs are easy
> to tighten/loosen and the screwdriver doesn't slip and bu&&er-up the
> screw head. I wish I'd known this before so am posting here for those
> others with a similar unknown unknown.

Me too, but the week before you, updating my consumer unit with a new
one - RCD's and double the nummber of ways. I just could not get the
terminal screws properly tight, with any of the selection of 200 plus
drivers I tried. I ended up researching the issue, and eventually
realised I was supposed to use a special type, called 'modulo', bought a
couple of sizes, and now the terms are satisfactorily tightened.

Re: "Plus-minus" screwdriver - a revelation!

<uv2uum$46tr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128673&group=uk.d-i-y#128673

From: timw@nomailta.co.uk (TimW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 09:40:53 +0100
 by: TimW - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 08:40 UTC

On 07/04/2024 22:20, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
> For a large number of years I've cursed about the screws in MCBs, and
> the like, being made of cheese and not quite right for either pozi,
> philips or flat drivers. Last week I discovered plus-minus screwdrivers
> and bought one - it's a revelation. Suddenly the screws in MCBs are easy
> to tighten/loosen and the screwdriver doesn't slip and bu&&er-up the
> screw head. I wish I'd known this before so am posting here for those
> others with a similar unknown unknown.

Wots an MCB?

TW

Re: "Plus-minus" screwdriver - a revelation!

<ovdfek-8bbn1.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128675&group=uk.d-i-y#128675

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 10:22:32 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 09:22 UTC

TimW <timw@nomailta.co.uk> wrote:
> On 07/04/2024 22:20, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
> > For a large number of years I've cursed about the screws in MCBs, and
> > the like, being made of cheese and not quite right for either pozi,
> > philips or flat drivers. Last week I discovered plus-minus screwdrivers
> > and bought one - it's a revelation. Suddenly the screws in MCBs are easy
> > to tighten/loosen and the screwdriver doesn't slip and bu&&er-up the
> > screw head. I wish I'd known this before so am posting here for those
> > others with a similar unknown unknown.
>
> Wots an MCB?

Miniature Circuit Breaker, the things inside your Consumer Unit.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: "Plus-minus" screwdriver - a revelation!

<uv323c$4vph$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128676&group=uk.d-i-y#128676

From: timw@nomailta.co.uk (TimW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 10:34:36 +0100
 by: TimW - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 09:34 UTC

On 09/04/2024 10:22, Chris Green wrote:
> TimW <timw@nomailta.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 07/04/2024 22:20, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
>>> For a large number of years I've cursed about the screws in MCBs, and
>>> the like, being made of cheese and not quite right for either pozi,
>>> philips or flat drivers. Last week I discovered plus-minus screwdrivers
>>> and bought one - it's a revelation. Suddenly the screws in MCBs are easy
>>> to tighten/loosen and the screwdriver doesn't slip and bu&&er-up the
>>> screw head. I wish I'd known this before so am posting here for those
>>> others with a similar unknown unknown.
>>
>> Wots an MCB?
>>
> Miniature Circuit Breaker, the things inside your Consumer Unit.

ok, ta.
Tim W

Re: "Plus-minus" screwdriver - a revelation!

<uv3fs8$849n$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128686&group=uk.d-i-y#128686

From: not@here.com (Grumps)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 14:29:43 +0100
 by: Grumps - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 13:29 UTC

On 07/04/2024 22:20, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
> For a large number of years I've cursed about the screws in MCBs, and
> the like, being made of cheese and not quite right for either pozi,
> philips or flat drivers. Last week I discovered plus-minus screwdrivers
> and bought one - it's a revelation. Suddenly the screws in MCBs are easy
> to tighten/loosen and the screwdriver doesn't slip and bu&&er-up the
> screw head. I wish I'd known this before so am posting here for those
> others with a similar unknown unknown.

That is a revelation.
As I've just re-wired a CU, I must say finding the right screwdriver bit
was a bit hit and miss. Never really found a good one for the MCBs.
So, would this be a good buy?
https://www.shop.niceic.com/4656-klauke-vde-plus-minus-screwdriver

Re: "Plus-minus" screwdriver - a revelation!

<uv6nhb$130fh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128736&group=uk.d-i-y#128736

From: a@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 19:58:52 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 18:58 UTC

On 09/04/2024 14:29, Grumps wrote:
> So, would this be a good buy?
> https://www.shop.niceic.com/4656-klauke-vde-plus-minus-screwdriver

Yep, especially cheap, but it doesn't state the size, they come in
sizes. Amazon sell them in pairs, two useful sizes.

Re: "Plus-minus" screwdriver - a revelation!

<uv8onq$1n51g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128760&group=uk.d-i-y#128760

From: not@here.com (Grumps)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 14:31:37 +0100
 by: Grumps - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 13:31 UTC

On 10/04/2024 19:58, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:
> On 09/04/2024 14:29, Grumps wrote:
>> So, would this be a good buy?
>> https://www.shop.niceic.com/4656-klauke-vde-plus-minus-screwdriver
>

> Yep, especially cheap, but it doesn't state the size, they come in
> sizes. Amazon sell them in pairs, two useful sizes.

NICEIC tell me that it's a Z2 x 100 mm.
Klauke KL130PM2IS VDE Screwdriver Plus/Minus, Z2