The difference between this place and yogurt is that yogurt has a live culture.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Lawn scarifiers

SubjectAuthor
* Lawn scarifiersTim+
+- Re: Lawn scarifiersChris Hogg
+* Re: Lawn scarifiersPeter Able
|+* Re: Lawn scarifiersThe Natural Philosopher
||+* Re: Lawn scarifiersAndrew
|||`* Re: Lawn scarifiersThe Natural Philosopher
||| +- Re: Lawn scarifiersTim Lamb
||| `- Re: Lawn scarifiersAnother John
||`- Re: Lawn scarifiersPancho
|`- Re: Lawn scarifiersTim+
`- Re: Lawn scarifiersThomas Prufer

1
Lawn scarifiers

<667391726.734551064.521837.timdownieuk-yahoo.co.youkay@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128766&group=uk.d-i-y#128766

From: timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Lawn scarifiers
Date: 11 Apr 2024 18:04:55 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 18:04 UTC

My cheapo B&D electric lawn scarifier is playing up and needs new brushes
for the motor. It’s always been annoying to use though as it chucks the
moss into a bin at the front and quickly ends up choking on its own vomit
so to speak.

I see that there are machines that spit out the back but they look a bit of
a faff to empty which is a major consideration when it needs emptying every
half length of my garden.

Consequently, I’m thinking of going “old school” with a manual rake like
the one below.

https://toolshouse.co.uk/products/darlac-dp888-lawn-scarifier?

Anyone used one? Any thoughts?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Lawn scarifiers

<9qag1j170tfs2n8lda9c1rddf6hkjmnf06@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128768&group=uk.d-i-y#128768

From: me@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Lawn scarifiers
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 19:40:59 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 18:40 UTC

On 11 Apr 2024 18:04:55 GMT, Tim+ <timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay> wrote:

>My cheapo B&D electric lawn scarifier is playing up and needs new brushes
>for the motor. It’s always been annoying to use though as it chucks the
>moss into a bin at the front and quickly ends up choking on its own vomit
>so to speak.
>
>I see that there are machines that spit out the back but they look a bit of
>a faff to empty which is a major consideration when it needs emptying every
>half length of my garden.
>
>Consequently, I’m thinking of going “old school” with a manual rake like
>the one below.
>
>https://toolshouse.co.uk/products/darlac-dp888-lawn-scarifier?
>
>Anyone used one? Any thoughts?
>
>Tim

I used to have a Qualcast electric scarifier, which filled the
collecting bin very quickly and needed emptying every ten yards or so.
So I didn't use the bin, simply let the moss etc lie on the surface,
but then I would go over the lawn again with the mower, which had a
larger collecting bin.

I imagine scarifying by hand would be hard work, especially if it's to
be effective, and you still have to collect the moss etc.

--
Chris

Re: Lawn scarifiers

<uv9cm6$1rmvk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128769&group=uk.d-i-y#128769

From: stuck@home.com (Peter Able)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 19:12:04 +0100
 by: Peter Able - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 18:12 UTC

On 11/04/2024 19:04, Tim+ wrote:
> My cheapo B&D electric lawn scarifier is playing up and needs new brushes
> for the motor. It’s always been annoying to use though as it chucks the
> moss into a bin at the front and quickly ends up choking on its own vomit
> so to speak.
>
> I see that there are machines that spit out the back but they look a bit of
> a faff to empty which is a major consideration when it needs emptying every
> half length of my garden.
>
> Consequently, I’m thinking of going “old school” with a manual rake like
> the one below.
>
> https://toolshouse.co.uk/products/darlac-dp888-lawn-scarifier?
>
> Anyone used one? Any thoughts?
>
> Tim

I haul rather than push my scarifier. Physically easier and a better
scarify.

I leave the collector off and, later, use a blower to drift the
scarified moss - then load it into a cart and dispose.

PA

Re: Lawn scarifiers

<uvae4g$25tmv$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128776&group=uk.d-i-y#128776

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 05:42:56 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 04:42 UTC

On 11/04/2024 19:12, Peter Able wrote:
> On 11/04/2024 19:04, Tim+ wrote:
>> My cheapo B&D electric lawn scarifier is playing up and needs new brushes
>> for the motor.  It’s always been annoying to use though as it chucks the
>> moss into a bin at the front and quickly ends up choking on its own vomit
>> so to speak.
>>
>> I see that there are machines that spit out the back but they look a
>> bit of
>> a faff to empty which is a major consideration when it needs emptying
>> every
>> half length of my garden.
>>
>> Consequently, I’m thinking of going “old school” with a manual rake like
>> the one below.
>>
>> https://toolshouse.co.uk/products/darlac-dp888-lawn-scarifier?
>>
>> Anyone used one? Any thoughts?
>>
>> Tim
>>

> I haul rather than push my scarifier.  Physically easier and a better
> scarify.
>
> I leave the collector off and, later, use a blower to drift the
> scarified moss - then load it into a cart and dispose.
>
> PA

I use 'weed and feed' which kills the moss and promotes the grass. No
need to scarify at all.

--
There’s a mighty big difference between good, sound reasons and reasons
that sound good.

Burton Hillis (William Vaughn, American columnist)

Re: Lawn scarifiers

<545650601.734606012.288870.timdownieuk-yahoo.co.youkay@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128780&group=uk.d-i-y#128780

From: timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 12 Apr 2024 09:14:07 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 09:14 UTC

Peter Able <stuck@home.com> wrote:
> On 11/04/2024 19:04, Tim+ wrote:
>> My cheapo B&D electric lawn scarifier is playing up and needs new brushes
>> for the motor. It’s always been annoying to use though as it chucks the
>> moss into a bin at the front and quickly ends up choking on its own vomit
>> so to speak.
>>
>> I see that there are machines that spit out the back but they look a bit of
>> a faff to empty which is a major consideration when it needs emptying every
>> half length of my garden.
>>
>> Consequently, I’m thinking of going “old school” with a manual rake like
>> the one below.
>>
>> https://toolshouse.co.uk/products/darlac-dp888-lawn-scarifier?
>>
>> Anyone used one? Any thoughts?
>>
>> Tim
>>

> I haul rather than push my scarifier. Physically easier and a better
> scarify.
>
> I leave the collector off and, later, use a blower to drift the
> scarified moss - then load it into a cart and dispose.
>
> PA

Hmm, not a bad idea. Will try that.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Lawn scarifiers

<uvbv1g$2gkor$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128802&group=uk.d-i-y#128802

From: Andrew97d@btinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 19:37:36 +0100
 by: Andrew - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 18:37 UTC

> On 11/04/2024 19:12, Peter Able wrote:
>> On 11/04/2024 19:04, Tim+ wrote:
>>> My cheapo B&D electric lawn scarifier is playing up and needs new
>>> brushes
>>> for the motor.  It’s always been annoying to use though as it chucks the
>>> moss into a bin at the front and quickly ends up choking on its own
>>> vomit
>>> so to speak.
>>>
>>> I see that there are machines that spit out the back but they look a
>>> bit of
>>> a faff to empty which is a major consideration when it needs emptying
>>> every
>>> half length of my garden.
>>>
>>> Consequently, I’m thinking of going “old school” with a manual rake like
>>> the one below.
>>>
>>> https://toolshouse.co.uk/products/darlac-dp888-lawn-scarifier?
>>>
>>> Anyone used one? Any thoughts?
>>>
>>> Tim
>>>

>> I haul rather than push my scarifier.  Physically easier and a better
>> scarify.
>>
>> I leave the collector off and, later, use a blower to drift the
>> scarified moss - then load it into a cart and dispose.
>>
>> PA
>>
> I use 'weed and feed' which kills the moss and promotes the grass. No
> need to scarify at all.

Kills the worms too, which you need to prevent moss in the
first place

Re: Lawn scarifiers

<uvc7pg$2ig7k$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128809&group=uk.d-i-y#128809

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 22:06:56 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 21:06 UTC

On 12/04/2024 19:37, Andrew wrote:
> On 12/04/2024 05:42, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

>> I use 'weed and feed' which kills the moss and promotes the grass. No
>> need to scarify at all.
>>

> Kills the worms too, which you need to prevent moss in the
> first place

? I don't think so on either score

Re: Lawn scarifiers

<pcak1jhg6du9ht7o2rhmh4ls73ru3mtlt8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128827&group=uk.d-i-y#128827

From: prufer.public@mnet-online.de.invalid (Thomas Prufer)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 08:53:55 +0200
 by: Thomas Prufer - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 06:53 UTC

On 11 Apr 2024 18:04:55 GMT, Tim+ <timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay> wrote:

>Consequently, I’m thinking of going “old school” with a manual rake like
>the one below.
>
>https://toolshouse.co.uk/products/darlac-dp888-lawn-scarifier?
>
>Anyone used one? Any thoughts?

I have used one, given to me by a neighbor.

The angle of the handle determines the depth of the scrape. Tie a strap to the
handle that goes around your wrist, so that you can just pull, and not have to
grip as well. It's good for small areas, depressions, bumps, around isolated
stepping stones, etc. where you want to adjust and work with more finesse than
an electric one. I have sharpened the blades with an angle grinder to make it
cut more easily -- it tends to rip plants and soil out of the ground.

Other than that, note this:

On Thu, 11 Apr 2024 19:40:59 +0100, Chris Hogg <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>I used to have a Qualcast electric scarifier, which filled the
>collecting bin very quickly and needed emptying every ten yards or so.
>So I didn't use the bin, simply let the moss etc lie on the surface,
>but then I would go over the lawn again with the mower, which had a
>larger collecting bin.

My manual rake gathers dust, and my suggestion is to avoid the manual rake like
the plague. Get a different electric one; cheap enough used on ebay/classifieds,
cost possibly offset by selling yours.

Thomas Prufer

Re: Lawn scarifiers

<onqqguUKBlGmFwkx@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128833&group=uk.d-i-y#128833

From: tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 10:28:42 +0100
 by: Tim Lamb - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 09:28 UTC

In message <uvc7pg$2ig7k$2@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
<tnp@invalid.invalid> writes
>On 12/04/2024 19:37, Andrew wrote:
>> On 12/04/2024 05:42, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>
>>> I use 'weed and feed' which kills the moss and promotes the grass.
>>>No need to scarify at all.
>>>

>> Kills the worms too, which you need to prevent moss in the
>> first place
>
>? I don't think so on either score

I've not heard of ferrous sulphate being particularly harmful for Worms.
However, Worms do aerate and improve the soil drainage which discourages
Moss.

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Lawn scarifiers

<uvdl08$2ulkp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128834&group=uk.d-i-y#128834

From: Pancho.Jones@proton.me (Pancho)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 10:58:33 +0100
 by: Pancho - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 09:58 UTC

>> I leave the collector off and, later, use a blower to drift the
>> scarified moss - then load it into a cart and dispose.
>>
>> PA

I have a collector. Cut the lawn really short with the mower first.
Empty the collector regularly into a wheel-barrow.

> I use 'weed and feed' which kills the moss and promotes the grass. No
> need to scarify at all.

I used to that. But over the years, decades?, the lawn formed a thatch
top layer. The grass grew in the top layer, which would separate from
the ground, like a carpet.

The lawn also became very bumpy, due to ant hills. Yearly scarifying
seems to tackle both problems. I also sieve soil on top, (maybe called
dressing?).

I do sometimes use weed and moss killer, but not fertilizer. Fertilizer
just means I have to mow more often.

Re: Lawn scarifiers

<0GcTN.613755$Tp2.206563@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128931&group=uk.d-i-y#128931

From: lalaw44@hotmail.com (Another John)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 16:34:04 GMT
 by: Another John - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 16:34 UTC

On 12 Apr 2024 at 22:06:56 BST, "The Natural Philosopher"
<tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>> Kills the worms too, which you need to prevent moss in the
>> first place
>
> ? I don't think so on either score

You took the words right outta my mouth TNP :-D

[Actually - scrub that ...I mean "I was about to agree with you". I never
kissed you, and the very thought thoroughly appalls me -- no offence! :-D

John