From: the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Subject: Robert De Niro refuses to be censored
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 12:12:20 +0000
 by: The Happy Hippy - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 12:12 UTC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67552014

<quotes>

Robert De Niro told an awards ceremony a speech he was reading had been edited without his knowledge, removing critical comments about Donald Trump.

The actor initially appeared confused while reading from an autocue on stage at the Gotham Awards in New York.

He then told the audience: "The beginning of my speech was edited, cut out. I didn't know about it."

He went on to read the original script, referring to Trump's "lies" among other things, after finding it on his phone.

"History isn't history any more," he said. "Truth is not truth. Even facts are being replaced by alternative facts and driven by conspiracy theories and ugliness."

He referred to students in Florida being told slaves developed skills "for their personal benefit", and said the entertainment industry "isn't immune to this festering disease".

He singled out actor John Wayne, quoting 1971 remarks about Native Americans in which he said: "I don't feel we did wrong taking this great country away from them."

De Niro continued: "Lying has become just another tool in the charlatan's arsenal. The former president lied to us more than 30,000 times during his four years in office, and he's keeping up the pace in his current campaign of retribution.

"But with all his lies, he can't hide his soul. He attacks the weak, destroys the gifts of nature and shows disrespect, for example, by using Pocahontas as a slur," referencing the former president's nickname for Senator Elizabeth Warren.

</quotes>

Video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoG5Cvm0_jQ