From: wibble@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Old good quality plastic suitcases - clue to material for
recycling?
Date: 13 Apr 2024 18:23:25 GMT
 by: David - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 18:23 UTC

We have inherited a couple of very strong but very heavy plastic suitcases.

I have no idea what they are made of, but modern suitcases are much, much
lighter and still very strong.
Also under £100.

So I would like to recycle them, but have no idea if they are recyclable.

Any clues?

Cheers

Dave R

--
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64

Re: Old good quality plastic suitcases - clue to material for recycling?

<l804b6F64sbU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128869&group=uk.d-i-y#128869

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
recycling?
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 20:22:10 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 19:22 UTC

David wrote:
> We have inherited a couple of very strong but very heavy plastic suitcases.
>
> I have no idea what they are made of, but modern suitcases are much, much
> lighter and still very strong.
> Also under £100.
>
> So I would like to recycle them, but have no idea if they are recyclable.
>
> Any clues?
<https://www.boedeker.com/Technical-Resources/Technical-Library/Plastic-Identification>

Re: Old good quality plastic suitcases - clue to material for recycling?

<NLy*iERHz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128870&group=uk.d-i-y#128870

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Old good quality plastic suitcases - clue to material for recycling?
Date: 13 Apr 2024 20:33:55 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 19:33 UTC

David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:
> We have inherited a couple of very strong but very heavy plastic suitcases.
>
> I have no idea what they are made of, but modern suitcases are much, much
> lighter and still very strong.
> Also under £100.
>
> So I would like to recycle them, but have no idea if they are recyclable.

I think old fashioned Samsonite etc are ABS.

But why not give them to a charity shop or similar if they're in usable
order? Even if not being used for flying they still have value for people
travelling by road, storage etc.

Not found anything to beat my 1980s Delsey though. Would probably survive a
bomb just fine.

Theo