Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Subject: Shelf Life Exceeded
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 20:15:45 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 19:15 UTC

The flush handle on the loo came unscrewed and fell off, so I dug out an
old bottle of Loctite to put on the thread before reassembling.

As I tipped up the bottle, I noticed the label which said:

"SHELF LIFE 10 March 1993"

I don't suppose this is a record, but I do wonder if it will still be
quite as effective.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Shelf Life Exceeded

<uvippd$6kdg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128909&group=uk.d-i-y#128909

From: wasbit@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Shelf Life Exceeded
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 09:50:52 +0100
 by: wasbit - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 08:50 UTC

On 14/04/2024 20:15, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> The flush handle on the loo came unscrewed and fell off, so I dug out an
> old bottle of Loctite to put on the thread before reassembling.
>
> As I tipped up the bottle, I noticed the label which said:
>
> "SHELF LIFE 10 March 1993"
>
> I don't suppose this is a record, but I do wonder if it will still be
> quite as effective.

Just found out a half tin of Sadolin (full tin was bought in the mid
80's, might even been as early as 1983/84) & seems to have survived
without degradation. Hardest part was getting the lid off. Levering just
straightened the rim so had to resort to using pliers for grip whilst
levering.
Surprisingly the metal was in excellent condition unlike some others
which rusted away on the shelf.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Shelf Life Exceeded

<uvuqoj$37m8g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129138&group=uk.d-i-y#129138

From: andrew@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 23:21:07 +0100
 by: Andrew Gabriel - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 22:21 UTC

On 15/04/2024 09:50, wasbit wrote:
> On 14/04/2024 20:15, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>> The flush handle on the loo came unscrewed and fell off, so I dug out
>> an old bottle of Loctite to put on the thread before reassembling.
>>
>> As I tipped up the bottle, I noticed the label which said:
>>
>> "SHELF LIFE 10 March 1993"
>>
>> I don't suppose this is a record, but I do wonder if it will still be
>> quite as effective.
>>
> Just found out a half tin of Sadolin (full tin was bought in the mid
> 80's, might even been as early as 1983/84) & seems to have survived
> without degradation. Hardest part was getting the lid off. Levering just
> straightened the rim so had to resort to using pliers for grip whilst
> levering.
> Surprisingly the metal was in excellent condition unlike some others
> which rusted away on the shelf.

Dad had a tin of Tensol Cement which said best before Aug 1969, and was
still working fine 3 years ago. Sadly, it got lost in a house move after
that.

--
Andrew