You can go anywhere you want if you look serious and carry a clipboard.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Light switch wiring

SubjectAuthor
* Light switch wiringleenowell
+* Re: Light switch wiringcharles
|`* Re: Light switch wiringMax Demian
| `* Re: Light switch wiringcharles
|  `- Re: Light switch wiringMax Demian
+- Re: Light switch wiringMike Humphrey
`* Re: Light switch wiringJohn Rumm
 `- Re: Light switch wiringleenowell

1
Light switch wiring

<1924a1bfcd25f82ff3b3000e125566e2@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128881&group=uk.d-i-y#128881

From: leenowell@yahoo.co.uk (leenowell)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Light switch wiring
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 13:05:58 +0000
 by: leenowell - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 13:05 UTC

Hi All,

I am wiring up an MK outside light switch. The switch itself is a 2 way switch but I only need one way. I tested it with my multi meter and it wasn't working. After a bit of trouble shooting, it transpires that with the switch up what would appear to be the right way (the writing on the back is the right way up), when the switch is off I get continuity between com and the '1 way' terminal and no continuity between com and '2 way'. When I turn the switch on I get the opposite result. This would imply I should connect across com and '2 way ' for a 1 way switch ?

Same is true for the second switch I have.

I suspect I am being dozy here. Any thoughts.

Many thanks

Lee.

Re: Light switch wiring

<5b517ee35dcharles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128883&group=uk.d-i-y#128883

Subject: Re: Light switch wiring
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 24 15:08:03 UTC
From: charles@candehope.me.uk (charles)
 by: charles - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 15:08 UTC

In article <1924a1bfcd25f82ff3b3000e125566e2@www.novabbs.com>, leenowell
<leenowell@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi All,

> I am wiring up an MK outside light switch. The switch itself is a 2 way
> switch but I only need one way. I tested it with my multi meter and it
> wasn't working. After a bit of trouble shooting, it transpires that with
> the switch up what would appear to be the right way (the writing on the
> back is the right way up), when the switch is off I get continuity
> between com and the '1 way' terminal and no continuity between com and '2
> way'. When I turn the switch on I get the opposite result. This would
> imply I should connect across com and '2 way ' for a 1 way switch ?

> Same is true for the second switch I have.

> I suspect I am being dozy here. Any thoughts.

It all depends on how you want the switch configured. To some people Up is
ON to others - the opposite. So Com to whichever suits you.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té²

Re: Light switch wiring

<uvgsqd$3mrdv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128884&group=uk.d-i-y#128884

From: mail@michaelhumphrey.me.uk (Mike Humphrey)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 15:30:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mike Humphrey - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 15:30 UTC

On Sun, 14 Apr 2024 13:05:58 +0000, leenowell wrote:
> I am wiring up an MK outside light switch. The switch itself is a 2 way
> switch but I only need one way. I tested it with my multi meter and it
> wasn't working. After a bit of trouble shooting, it transpires that with
> the switch up what would appear to be the right way (the writing on the
> back is the right way up), when the switch is off I get continuity
> between com and the '1 way' terminal and no continuity between com and
> '2 way'. When I turn the switch on I get the opposite result. This would
> imply I should connect across com and '2 way ' for a 1 way switch ?

A 2-way switch doesn't have "off" and "on" - it effectively has two
different kinds of "on".
You need to connect "COM" and either of the other terminals. If this makes
the switch work "backwards" from what you want, either turn the switch the
other way up or use the other terminal (but not both, as that puts you
back where you started).
I wouldn't assume the writing on the back is significant - I've had
accessories that can clearly only go one way up where that puts the
writing upside-down, or even sideways.

Mike

Re: Light switch wiring

<uvgvv1$3nh9e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128886&group=uk.d-i-y#128886

From: max_demian@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 17:24:01 +0100
 by: Max Demian - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 16:24 UTC

On 14/04/2024 16:08, charles wrote:
> In article <1924a1bfcd25f82ff3b3000e125566e2@www.novabbs.com>, leenowell
> <leenowell@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>
>> I am wiring up an MK outside light switch. The switch itself is a 2 way
>> switch but I only need one way. I tested it with my multi meter and it
>> wasn't working. After a bit of trouble shooting, it transpires that with
>> the switch up what would appear to be the right way (the writing on the
>> back is the right way up), when the switch is off I get continuity
>> between com and the '1 way' terminal and no continuity between com and '2
>> way'. When I turn the switch on I get the opposite result. This would
>> imply I should connect across com and '2 way ' for a 1 way switch ?
>
>> Same is true for the second switch I have.
>
>> I suspect I am being dozy here. Any thoughts.
>
> It all depends on how you want the switch configured. To some people Up is
> ON to others - the opposite. So Com to whichever suits you.

"Some" = Americans.
"Others" = British.

(If you are expecting it to be used by Japanese, you will have to mount
the switch sideways.)

--
Max Demian

Re: Light switch wiring

<5b518ee387charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128892&group=uk.d-i-y#128892

From: charles@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 24 17:15:02 UTC
 by: charles - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 17:15 UTC

In article <uvgvv1$3nh9e$1@dont-email.me>, Max Demian
<max_demian@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> On 14/04/2024 16:08, charles wrote:
> > In article <1924a1bfcd25f82ff3b3000e125566e2@www.novabbs.com>,
> > leenowell <leenowell@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> >> Hi All,
> >
> >> I am wiring up an MK outside light switch. The switch itself is a 2
> >> way switch but I only need one way. I tested it with my multi meter
> >> and it wasn't working. After a bit of trouble shooting, it transpires
> >> that with the switch up what would appear to be the right way (the
> >> writing on the back is the right way up), when the switch is off I get
> >> continuity between com and the '1 way' terminal and no continuity
> >> between com and '2 way'. When I turn the switch on I get the opposite
> >> result. This would imply I should connect across com and '2 way ' for
> >> a 1 way switch ?
> >
> >> Same is true for the second switch I have.
> >
> >> I suspect I am being dozy here. Any thoughts.
> >
> > It all depends on how you want the switch configured. To some people Up
> > is ON to others - the opposite. So Com to whichever suits you.

> "Some" = Americans. "Others" = British.

the circuit breakers in my CU are UP for on and with 2 way light switching,
you never know.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té²

Re: Light switch wiring

<uvj0kp$7vho$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128914&group=uk.d-i-y#128914

From: max_demian@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 11:47:54 +0100
 by: Max Demian - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 10:47 UTC

On 14/04/2024 18:15, charles wrote:
> In article <uvgvv1$3nh9e$1@dont-email.me>, Max Demian
> <max_demian@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>> On 14/04/2024 16:08, charles wrote:

>>> It all depends on how you want the switch configured. To some people Up
>>> is ON to others - the opposite. So Com to whichever suits you.
>
>> "Some" = Americans. "Others" = British.
>

> the circuit breakers in my CU are UP for on and with 2 way light switching,
> you never know.

Well that's just because of how they work.

Circuit breakers (and the main power switch) are Up for on, but I guess
they are Different.

I think the US convention dates from when they used exposed knife
switches, so gravity would turn them off.

--
Max Demian

Re: Light switch wiring

<uvjk4m$cdjq$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128926&group=uk.d-i-y#128926

From: see.my.signature@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 17:20:38 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 16:20 UTC

On 14/04/2024 14:05, leenowell wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am wiring up an MK outside light switch. The switch itself is a 2 way
> switch but I only need one way. I tested it with my multi meter and it
> wasn't working. After a bit of trouble shooting, it transpires that with
> the switch up what would appear to be the right way (the writing on the
> back is the right way up), when the switch is off I get continuity
> between com and the '1 way' terminal and no continuity between com and
> '2 way'. When I turn the switch on I get the opposite result. This would
> imply I should connect across com and '2 way ' for a 1 way switch ?

Yup - 2 way switches have a "changeover" action (or Single Pole Double
Throw if you prefer)

(you could use the com and 2 way terminals, and just invert the switch.
Many 1 way switches have space for the three terminals even if one is
not actually fitted)

Here is how they work in different applications:

https://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/2_Way_Switching

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Light switch wiring

<6d378f4c78c64d100a2fd5a95c5fe9b6@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128985&group=uk.d-i-y#128985

From: leenowell@yahoo.co.uk (leenowell)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 07:36:27 +0000
 by: leenowell - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 07:36 UTC

Thanks very much John