But, officer, he's not drunk, I just saw his fingers twitch!

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Weird webcam behavior

SubjectAuthor
* Weird webcam behaviorHarry Bloomfield Esq
+* Re: Weird webcam behaviorBob Eager
|`* Re: Weird webcam behaviorHarry Bloomfield Esq
| `* Re: Weird webcam behaviorPaul
|  `* Re: Weird webcam behaviorSam Plusnet
|   `- Re: Weird webcam behaviorHarry Bloomfield Esq
+* Re: Weird webcam behaviorBrian
|`- Re: Weird webcam behaviorHarry Bloomfield Esq
`* Re: Weird webcam behaviorwasbit
 `* Re: Weird webcam behaviorHarry Bloomfield Esq
  `* Re: Weird webcam behaviorwasbit
   `* Re: Weird webcam behaviorHarry Bloomfield Esq
    `- Re: Weird webcam behaviorPaul

1
Weird webcam behavior

<uvhfee$3hqri$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128899&group=uk.d-i-y#128899

From: a@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Weird webcam behavior
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 21:48:14 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 20:48 UTC

I bought a really cheap PTZ outdoor webcam, which can connect via either
wifi, or wired. It is mounted outdoors and when it works, it provides a
really good picture. Powered via a wallwart type adaptor, and uses CMS
to view the scene of the camera and control it.

I originally set it up outside, using wifi. It worked OK, but could be
quite laggy, at times, or even show a static frame, but it always showed
a picture on my PC.

I then gave it a wired LAN connection, the laggyness improved, but was
replaced by another strange issue....

Camera is left powered 24/7. If I run the CMS software, often it shows
the camera inaccessible, sometimes it shows up, with a perfect picture,
but the connection is then soon lost.

Turn the wallwart off/back on to reboot the cam, the picture again
appears, but again not for long.

I can ping the cams IP, when I can see the picture, not ping it when it
cannot be seen. I'm waiting for some better weather to investigate this
strange behavior, but in the meantime - has anyone any idea of any
further checks I can try please?

Re: Weird webcam behavior

<l82uf7Fi06hU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128901&group=uk.d-i-y#128901

From: news0009@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Weird webcam behavior
Date: 14 Apr 2024 21:00:23 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 21:00 UTC

On Sun, 14 Apr 2024 21:48:14 +0100, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:

> I bought a really cheap PTZ outdoor webcam, which can connect via either
> wifi, or wired. It is mounted outdoors and when it works, it provides a
> really good picture. Powered via a wallwart type adaptor, and uses CMS
> to view the scene of the camera and control it.
>
> I originally set it up outside, using wifi. It worked OK, but could be
> quite laggy, at times, or even show a static frame, but it always showed
> a picture on my PC.
>
> I then gave it a wired LAN connection, the laggyness improved, but was
> replaced by another strange issue....
>
> Camera is left powered 24/7. If I run the CMS software, often it shows
> the camera inaccessible, sometimes it shows up, with a perfect picture,
> but the connection is then soon lost.
>
> Turn the wallwart off/back on to reboot the cam, the picture again
> appears, but again not for long.
>
> I can ping the cams IP, when I can see the picture, not ping it when it
> cannot be seen. I'm waiting for some better weather to investigate this
> strange behavior, but in the meantime - has anyone any idea of any
> further checks I can try please?

It's not trying to use the same IP address as someting else?

Re: Weird webcam behavior

<uvhiho$3hqri$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128903&group=uk.d-i-y#128903

From: a@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 22:41:11 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 21:41 UTC

On 14/04/2024 22:00, Bob Eager wrote:
> It's not trying to use the same IP address as someting else?

Not that I could see.

Re: Weird webcam behavior

<uvihop$50mg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128907&group=uk.d-i-y#128907

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 02:34:00 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 06:34 UTC

On 4/14/2024 5:41 PM, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:
> On 14/04/2024 22:00, Bob Eager wrote:
>> It's not trying to use the same IP address as someting else?
>
> Not that I could see.

Thermal.

Unplug the power source for ten minutes.
Then plug back in.
Test.

It could be bad firmware. Check to see
if the brand has a web site. If and when
you find a firmware, scan it on Virustotal.com
before doing ANYTHING with it :-/ I picked up
malware (in the scan) on one of my downloads,
which is why I offer this advice. I was picking
up a driver for a non-UVC webcam at the time, and
the driver had malware.

Some devices use plastic housings which insulate
the workings and encourage high cabinet temperatures.
It might take around 1 watt of electricity to compress
a low-res stream, and that heat has to go somewhere.

You may be able to estimate the power it uses, by
checking the current flow from the supply.

Some categories of electronics, have attention to
thermal details. For others, they simply don't care.
For example, if you make a PCB, put the hot chip
on the secondary side, then use double sided thermal
tape, you can conduct chip heat, right into the
metal housing (PCB is pretty close to the flat housing).
A few SSDs use thermal tape in that way.

Many pieces of electronic kit, have a thermal
sensor built-in. A "thermal diode" in a CPU for example.
These days, the camera should be able to tell you it
is overheating, as it has the sensor in the micro.
(It does not cost them anything, to measure the temperature.)
The computer in front of me, has around 20 sensors
in its CPU. I found a utility that showed them.

Don't point your camera into the sun. Protect it.

Trail cams are pretty good. But their duty cycle
is pretty low too. Most of the time the trail cam
is asleep. Whereas your PTZ may be intended for
continuous usage.

Paul

Re: Weird webcam behavior

<uvj8df$9po2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128919&group=uk.d-i-y#128919

From: noinv@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 13:00:31 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:IHmwntK+sjEcaoplUUMOadJ9LAA=
 by: Brian - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 13:00 UTC

Harry Bloomfield Esq <a@harrym1byt.plus.com> wrote:
> I bought a really cheap PTZ outdoor webcam, which can connect via either
> wifi, or wired. It is mounted outdoors and when it works, it provides a
> really good picture. Powered via a wallwart type adaptor, and uses CMS
> to view the scene of the camera and control it.
>
> I originally set it up outside, using wifi. It worked OK, but could be
> quite laggy, at times, or even show a static frame, but it always showed
> a picture on my PC.
>
> I then gave it a wired LAN connection, the laggyness improved, but was
> replaced by another strange issue....
>
> Camera is left powered 24/7. If I run the CMS software, often it shows
> the camera inaccessible, sometimes it shows up, with a perfect picture,
> but the connection is then soon lost.
>
> Turn the wallwart off/back on to reboot the cam, the picture again
> appears, but again not for long.
>
> I can ping the cams IP, when I can see the picture, not ping it when it
> cannot be seen. I'm waiting for some better weather to investigate this
> strange behavior, but in the meantime - has anyone any idea of any
> further checks I can try please?

At the risk of teaching you to suck eggs, have you tried another Ethernet
cable? Also, if as it sounds, the camera has been outside, is the Ethernet
port in good condition? No muck, corrosion etc?

You mentioned it is a cheapie, chances are it hasn’t got weather proof
Ethernet connectors. A bit of water damage may be your problem. If you are
lucky, you may be able to clean it up, assuming there is some crude inside.

If you decide to replace it, I can recommend Eufy security cameras. We have
several of the rechargeable ones. They claim a year between charges which
is probably a bit of wishful thinking but certainly nearer to 12 mths than
6. No subscription etc and you can monitor them using a free app on a smart
phone via the internet. You can link to Alexa etc.

I think you can view on PC but I haven’t tried - I use a phone or iPad.

Re: Weird webcam behavior

<uvjfbl$6ek6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128921&group=uk.d-i-y#128921

From: a@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 15:59:01 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 14:59 UTC

On 15/04/2024 14:00, Brian wrote:
> At the risk of teaching you to suck eggs, have you tried another Ethernet
> cable? Also, if as it sounds, the camera has been outside, is the Ethernet
> port in good condition? No muck, corrosion etc?

That was my thinking, but the cable had been in use for another
appliance for years without a problem, before diverting for the camera.
The other point being, it works OK for a short while, after being power
cycled. As said, I'm just waiting for the weather to improve enough, to
get up a ladder - then I will bring it indoors for testing further.
Thanks...

Re: Weird webcam behavior

<DPeTN.75354$Rt2.14061@fx10.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128945&group=uk.d-i-y#128945

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 20:00:50 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 19:00 UTC

On 15-Apr-24 7:34, Paul wrote:
> On 4/14/2024 5:41 PM, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:
>> On 14/04/2024 22:00, Bob Eager wrote:
>>> It's not trying to use the same IP address as someting else?
>>
>> Not that I could see.
>
> Thermal.
>
> Unplug the power source for ten minutes.
> Then plug back in.
> Test.
>
> It could be bad firmware. Check to see
> if the brand has a web site. If and when
> you find a firmware, scan it on Virustotal.com
> before doing ANYTHING with it :-/ I picked up
> malware (in the scan) on one of my downloads,
> which is why I offer this advice. I was picking
> up a driver for a non-UVC webcam at the time, and
> the driver had malware.
>
> Some devices use plastic housings which insulate
> the workings and encourage high cabinet temperatures.
> It might take around 1 watt of electricity to compress
> a low-res stream, and that heat has to go somewhere.
>
> You may be able to estimate the power it uses, by
> checking the current flow from the supply.
>
> Some categories of electronics, have attention to
> thermal details. For others, they simply don't care.
> For example, if you make a PCB, put the hot chip
> on the secondary side, then use double sided thermal
> tape, you can conduct chip heat, right into the
> metal housing (PCB is pretty close to the flat housing).
> A few SSDs use thermal tape in that way.
>
> Many pieces of electronic kit, have a thermal
> sensor built-in. A "thermal diode" in a CPU for example.
> These days, the camera should be able to tell you it
> is overheating, as it has the sensor in the micro.
> (It does not cost them anything, to measure the temperature.)
> The computer in front of me, has around 20 sensors
> in its CPU. I found a utility that showed them.
>
> Don't point your camera into the sun. Protect it.
>
> Trail cams are pretty good. But their duty cycle
> is pretty low too. Most of the time the trail cam
> is asleep. Whereas your PTZ may be intended for
> continuous usage.

If it is thermal issues, in April, it isn't going do do well if/when we
get into summer.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Weird webcam behavior

<uvk60e$6ek6$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128952&group=uk.d-i-y#128952

From: a@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 22:25:33 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 21:25 UTC

On 15/04/2024 20:00, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 15-Apr-24 7:34, Paul wrote:
>>>
>>> Not that I could see.
>>
>> Thermal.
>>
>> Unplug the power source for ten minutes.
>> Then plug back in.
>> Test.
>>
>> It could be bad firmware. Check to see
>> if the brand has a web site. If and when
>> you find a firmware, scan it on Virustotal.com
>> before doing ANYTHING with it :-/ I picked up
>> malware (in the scan) on one of my downloads,
>> which is why I offer this advice. I was picking
>> up a driver for a non-UVC webcam at the time, and
>> the driver had malware.
>>
>> Some devices use plastic housings which insulate
>> the workings and encourage high cabinet temperatures.
>> It might take around 1 watt of electricity to compress
>> a low-res stream, and that heat has to go somewhere.
>>
>> You may be able to estimate the power it uses, by
>> checking the current flow from the supply.
>>
>> Some categories of electronics, have attention to
>> thermal details. For others, they simply don't care.
>> For example, if you make a PCB, put the hot chip
>> on the secondary side, then use double sided thermal
>> tape, you can conduct chip heat, right into the
>> metal housing (PCB is pretty close to the flat housing).
>> A few SSDs use thermal tape in that way.
>>
>> Many pieces of electronic kit, have a thermal
>> sensor built-in. A "thermal diode" in a CPU for example.
>> These days, the camera should be able to tell you it
>> is overheating, as it has the sensor in the micro.
>> (It does not cost them anything, to measure the temperature.)
>> The computer in front of me, has around 20 sensors
>> in its CPU. I found a utility that showed them.
>>
>> Don't point your camera into the sun. Protect it.
>>
>> Trail cams are pretty good. But their duty cycle
>> is pretty low too. Most of the time the trail cam
>> is asleep. Whereas your PTZ may be intended for
>> continuous usage.
>
> If it is thermal issues, in April, it isn't going do do well if/when we
> get into summer.

I'm fairly sure it's not thermal issues, it will not generate more heat
when watched, versus not watched. It has to be some weird network issue.

Re: Weird webcam behavior

<uvlfei$s81s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128966&group=uk.d-i-y#128966

From: wasbit@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 10:12:49 +0100
 by: wasbit - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 09:12 UTC

On 14/04/2024 21:48, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:
> I bought a really cheap PTZ outdoor webcam, which can connect via either
> wifi, or wired. It is mounted outdoors and when it works, it provides a
> really good picture. Powered via a wallwart type adaptor, and uses CMS
> to view the scene of the camera and control it.
>
> I originally set it up outside, using wifi. It worked OK, but could be
> quite laggy, at times, or even show a static frame, but it always showed
> a picture on my PC.
>
> I then gave it a wired LAN connection, the laggyness improved, but was
> replaced by another strange issue....
>
> Camera is left powered 24/7. If I run the CMS software, often it shows
> the camera inaccessible, sometimes it shows up, with a perfect picture,
> but the connection is then soon lost.
>
> Turn the wallwart off/back on to reboot the cam, the picture again
> appears, but again not for long.
>
> I can ping the cams IP, when I can see the picture, not ping it when it
> cannot be seen. I'm waiting for some better weather to investigate this
> strange behavior, but in the meantime - has anyone any idea of any
> further checks I can try please?

What's CMS?
If it's Novosun software (rather than Content Management Systems) then
it looks like it's no longer in development?

Also FYI but probably not the cause of your problem, some ethernet
cables only have 4 wires rather than 8

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Weird webcam behavior

<uvlphk$rf3o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128971&group=uk.d-i-y#128971

From: a@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 13:05:08 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 12:05 UTC

On 16/04/2024 10:12, wasbit wrote:
> What's CMS?

CMS client.

> Also FYI but probably not the cause of your problem, some ethernet
> cables only have 4 wires rather than 8

I wired it with the full 8 cores, and worked absolutely fine, with a
previous PTZ camera.

Re: Weird webcam behavior

<uvo4rf$1h3fl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128990&group=uk.d-i-y#128990

From: wasbit@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 10:30:22 +0100
 by: wasbit - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 09:30 UTC

On 16/04/2024 13:05, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:
> On 16/04/2024 10:12, wasbit wrote:
>> What's CMS?
>
> CMS client.
>

>> Also FYI but probably not the cause of your problem, some ethernet
>> cables only have 4 wires rather than 8
>
> I wired it with the full 8 cores, and worked absolutely fine, with a
> previous PTZ camera.

CMS Client
https://www.brickcom.com/products/DetailView.php?modelname=CMS-Client&series=CMS#

I use the free IP Camera Viewer from Deskshare
- https://www.deskshare.com/ip-camera-viewer.aspx

A second viewing programme would at least eliminate a software glitch.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Weird webcam behavior

<uvo8eq$1fpub$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128998&group=uk.d-i-y#128998

From: a@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 11:31:54 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 10:31 UTC

On 17/04/2024 10:30, wasbit wrote:
> I use the free IP Camera Viewer from Deskshare
>  - https://www.deskshare.com/ip-camera-viewer.aspx
>
> A second viewing programme would at least eliminate a software glitch.

I've tried a few, and not found anything has worked.

Yousee is the software which operates with the camera operates with the
camera on an Iphone. Picture is lost, using that, in exactly the same
circumstances as with the CMS client software, on the PC. From that, it
suggests it is probably a network hardware/software issue.

Re: Weird webcam behavior

<uvqh69$24qnr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129043&group=uk.d-i-y#129043

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 03:13:12 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 07:13 UTC

On 4/17/2024 6:31 AM, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:
> On 17/04/2024 10:30, wasbit wrote:
>> I use the free IP Camera Viewer from Deskshare
>>   - https://www.deskshare.com/ip-camera-viewer.aspx
>>
>> A second viewing programme would at least eliminate a software glitch.
>
> I've tried a few, and not found anything has worked.
>
> Yousee is the software which operates with the camera operates with the camera on an Iphone. Picture is lost, using that, in exactly the same circumstances as with the CMS client software, on the PC. From that, it suggests it is probably a network hardware/software issue.

Have you ever used Wireshark, on the viewing PC ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireshark

https://www.wireshark.org/ (separate download links, 3/4 down the web page.
32-bit versions for older Windows,
are in the older release section.)

It can trace packets, and depending on the carriage method,
can sometimes provide a hint. If traffic is encrypted, then
you don't learn much except (grossly) how the level of
traffic changes. The packets are timestamped, so you can
see when they went by.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/3J0ycVnB/wireshark-windows.gif

It has a few modes where it can "summarize" the traffic stream,
and it can pretend a conversation is going on between machines.
But if you're debugging Windows File Sharing, the dissector there
cannot read the boolean Reasons word and display why the
remote machine won't accept your login. Some levels of
dissection are too deep, for the developer to waste time
displaying for you. Some things in Wireshark are still
a "work in progress".

Desktop Computer --- IP_CAM
\ /
\ /