From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sci.weather
Subject: Heads Up
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 11:04:45 +0000
 by: John Hall - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 11:04 UTC

There are a couple of weather-related documentaries this e3vening on BBC
, the first on the history of British weather forecasting and the second
on the great Somerset Levels flood of 1607. They have both been on
before, but are much better than the general run of TV weather
documentaries IMO, and are well worth seeing again even if you caught
them before .
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people

Re: Heads Up

<upimlu$2jiev$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12980&group=uk.sci.weather#12980

From: diverse@tcp.co.uk (N_Cook)
Newsgroups: uk.sci.weather
Subject: Re: Heads Up
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2024 12:20:06 +0000
 by: N_Cook - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 12:20 UTC

On 31/01/2024 11:04, John Hall wrote:
> There are a couple of weather-related documentaries this e3vening on BBC
> , the first on the history of British weather forecasting and the second
> on the great Somerset Levels flood of 1607. They have both been on
> before, but are much better than the general run of TV weather
> documentaries IMO, and are well worth seeing again even if you caught
> them before .

If Mr Geernaert's North sea windstress to surge formula was extrapolated
up to the Storm Ingunn 122mph sustained wind this week and if that came
into the English Channel, then a surge of something like a house-high
8.5metres on top of whatever state of tide.
1607 on balance does sound more tsunami.
It was indeed an extremely high astronomic tide on that day. I'd like to
know from the geology of whether that extra weight of water could itself
of stressed and triggered an earthquake Sw of Ireland, that would not
have otherwise triggered for say hundreds of years.
The counter argument was given , only, that it was a storm windsurge on
top of an otherewise extremely rare tide as to the cause of the inundation.

--
Global sea level rise to 2100 from curve-fitted existing altimetry data
<http://diverse.4mg.com/slr.htm>