From: email@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Subject: The flop of SACD
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 17:03:23 +0100
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Sat, 29 Apr 2023 16:03 UTC

I've just dug up some 16 year old hifi SACD compatible car-boot 'junk'
in an effort to enjoy the old multichannel SACD disc I have, that
purchased from in all places Poundland* - it's Pink Floyd's DSOTM, the
30th edition.

So I'm the owner of a Denon DVD player with a built-in SACD decoder
(shockingly cheaply built), and a power guzzling receiver (built like
the proverbial brick out-house) also by Denon.

It all works after some mild capacitor** surgery, so today I had a
little look on Amazon and eBay for other discs.

Hmmm, it's stupid second-hand money on eBay except for one particular
SACD disc.

Sting - Sacred Love.

Strange - was this a last ditch attempt by Sony that failed resulting in
serious overstock?

* Poundland also has supplied me with a few HDCDs in the past.
Re-marketed returns?

** A lot of equipment I have had, that feature always on power supplies
(soft power buttons), routinely wear out their secondary soothing caps
and crash their microprocessors. Great design...

--
Adrian C

Re: The flop of SACD

<u2ld66$3et7s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1299&group=uk.rec.audio#1299

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Subject: Re: The flop of SACD
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2023 10:42:30 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 30 Apr 2023 09:42 UTC

Well, I think everyone tried to jump on a bandwagon that was about to fall
off a cliff, no point in making it too well.
I notice that now we have discs with Dolby Atmos, even the Beatles have
been remixed into it, so are these DVDs or Blue Rays? Often you get as in
the John Lennon stuff, a Quadraphonic mix of Imagine as well as a lot of
other stuff.
I guess it could be interesting to try these on a good Atmos set up, but my
room is a bit too small for such things.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...