From: the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Subject: Ukraine's quagmire continues
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 21:31:31 +0000
 by: The Happy Hippy - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 21:31 UTC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-67565508

<quotes>

Outnumbered and outgunned, one front-line soldier has given a sobering account of Ukraine's struggle to cling on to its foothold on the east bank of the vast Dnipro river.

Several hundred Ukrainian soldiers have made it there as part of a counter-offensive launched six months ago.

Under relentless Russian fire, the soldier spent several weeks on the Russian-occupied side of the river as Ukraine sought to establish a bridgehead around the village of Krynky.

His account, sent via a messaging app, speaks of troop boats blown out of the water, inexperienced reinforcements and a feeling of abandonment by Ukraine's military commanders.

"We thought after we made it there the enemy would flee and then we could calmly transport everything we needed, but it didn't turn out that way."

"Many believe that the command simply abandoned us. The guys believe that our presence had more political than military significance."

</quotes>