From: wibble@bibble.com.invalid (wibble@bibble.com.invalid)
Newsgroups: uk.sci.weather
Subject: Loss of posters
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 10:58:43 +0000
 by: wibble@bibble.com.in - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 10:58 UTC

I have been looking through past posts noting how many regular
(daily?) posters we have lost recently.
Nigel from the IOW
Colin from Brussels
Freddie from Alcaston
Norman from Tideswell

The first three used to post via Google Groups (not sure about Norman)
and have presumably not discovered individual.net or eternal-september
or other servers available to post.

Norman did appear on individual.net for a period but has since
stopped.

Bernard is now our only supplier of regular info for which I thank
him.

Such a shame the the shutting down of posting on Google Groups has had
such an effect on this group.

We used to have reports from all over the country, from the southwest
of England to Scotland and those posters are missed.

Regards from a lurker - Kevin

--
NNNN

Re: Loss of posters

<ECCjUaBL4FCmFwiu@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13190&group=uk.sci.weather#13190

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sci.weather
Subject: Re: Loss of posters
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 18:46:35 +0000
 by: John Hall - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 18:46 UTC

In message <2hrf0jtdg5ls9u63o0mgi6nj46e8e75dla@4ax.com>,
"wibble@bibble.com.invalid" <wibble@bibble.com.invalid> writes
>I have been looking through past posts noting how many regular
>(daily?) posters we have lost recently.
>Nigel from the IOW
>Colin from Brussels
>Freddie from Alcaston
>Norman from Tideswell
>
>The first three used to post via Google Groups (not sure about Norman)
>and have presumably not discovered individual.net or eternal-september
>or other servers available to post.
>
>Norman did appear on individual.net for a period but has since
>stopped.
>
>Bernard is now our only supplier of regular info for which I thank
>him.
>
>Such a shame the the shutting down of posting on Google Groups has had
>such an effect on this group.
>
>We used to have reports from all over the country, from the southwest
>of England to Scotland and those posters are missed.
>
>Regards from a lurker - Kevin

I can only echo that.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people

Re: Loss of posters

<uu9q0k$16bq1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13191&group=uk.sci.weather#13191

From: diverse@tcp.co.uk (N_Cook)
Newsgroups: uk.sci.weather
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 19:43:20 +0000
 by: N_Cook - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 19:43 UTC

On 30/03/2024 10:58, wibble@bibble.com.invalid wrote:
> I have been looking through past posts noting how many regular
> (daily?) posters we have lost recently.
> Nigel from the IOW
> Colin from Brussels
> Freddie from Alcaston
> Norman from Tideswell
>
> The first three used to post via Google Groups (not sure about Norman)
> and have presumably not discovered individual.net or eternal-september
> or other servers available to post.
>
> Norman did appear on individual.net for a period but has since
> stopped.
>
> Bernard is now our only supplier of regular info for which I thank
> him.
>
> Such a shame the the shutting down of posting on Google Groups has had
> such an effect on this group.
>
> We used to have reports from all over the country, from the southwest
> of England to Scotland and those posters are missed.
>
> Regards from a lurker - Kevin

The rot set in when Google decided it could monetise Dejanews the
previous aggregator/archive/search of usenet.
At the time they valued it at some colossal sum, to buy the DejaNews
archive, the bits and bytes of which had been constructed, for free, by
ordinary bods like us.

--
Global sea level rise to 2100 from curve-fitted existing altimetry data
<http://diverse.4mg.com/slr.htm>