Love -- the last of the serious diseases of childhood.

aus+uk / uk.sci.weather / Newsreder recommendations

SubjectAuthor
* Newsreder recommendationsNorman Lynagh
+- Re: Newsreder recommendationsBernard Burton
+- Re: Newsreder recommendationsN_Cook
+* Re: Newsreder recommendationsJohn Hall
|`- Re: Newsreder recommendationsAlan LeHun
`- Re: Newsreder recommendationsJohn Hall

1
Newsreder recommendations

<l7ire9F79caU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13215&group=uk.sci.weather#13215

From: invalid@invalid.com (Norman Lynagh)
Newsgroups: uk.sci.weather
Subject: Newsreder recommendations
Date: 8 Apr 2024 18:30:33 GMT
 by: Norman Lynagh - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 18:30 UTC

Good evening all,

As you are probably aware, I haven'posted much on here during March and April.
The problem is that my newsreader has decided to go belly-up after 20-or so
years of faithful service. Nothing I can do will make it work. I have cobbled
together something that lets me read the posts and I have managed to get this
post together (at least I think I have), None of it is at all fully functional
operatiomally so I wondered what systems other people have. I don't want to go
down the google groups road. What I am looking for is a fully-functioal
Newsreader

Any thoughts?

Norman

--
Norman Lynagh
Tideswell, Derbyshire

Re: Newsreder recommendations

<l7itjeF7ir9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13216&group=uk.sci.weather#13216

From: b.j.burton@btinternet.com (Bernard Burton)
Newsgroups: uk.sci.weather
Subject: Re: Newsreder recommendations
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 19:07:25 -0000
 by: Bernard Burton - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 19:07 UTC

Hello Norman,
Glad to hear from you again.
I use Outlook Express and News.Individual.net. They do charge a fee, but it
is nominal, can't recall how much, but about E10 per year I think. I am
unable to think of any example when the service has been unavailable in the
past 10 to 15 years.
Hope you are keeping well.
--
Bernard Burton
www.woksat.info/wwp.html
"Norman Lynagh" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Good evening all,
>
> As you are probably aware, I haven'posted much on here during March and
> April.
> The problem is that my newsreader has decided to go belly-up after 20-or
> so
> years of faithful service. Nothing I can do will make it work. I have
> cobbled
> together something that lets me read the posts and I have managed to get
> this
> post together (at least I think I have), None of it is at all fully
> functional
> operatiomally so I wondered what systems other people have. I don't want
> to go
> down the google groups road. What I am looking for is a fully-functioal
> Newsreader
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Norman
>
> --
> Norman Lynagh
> Tideswell, Derbyshire
> 303m a.s.l.
> https://peakdistrictweather.org
> Twitter: @TideswellWeathr

---

Re: Newsreder recommendations

<uv1ouh$3oebr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13217&group=uk.sci.weather#13217

From: diverse@tcp.co.uk (N_Cook)
Newsgroups: uk.sci.weather
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2024 22:52:21 +0100
 by: N_Cook - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 21:52 UTC

On 08/04/2024 19:30, Norman Lynagh wrote:
> Good evening all,
>
> As you are probably aware, I haven'posted much on here during March and April.
> The problem is that my newsreader has decided to go belly-up after 20-or so
> years of faithful service. Nothing I can do will make it work. I have cobbled
> together something that lets me read the posts and I have managed to get this
> post together (at least I think I have), None of it is at all fully functional
> operatiomally so I wondered what systems other people have. I don't want to go
> down the google groups road. What I am looking for is a fully-functioal
> Newsreader
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Norman

I use an anciet version of Thunderbird 15.0.1 on win7 via
eternal-september. I remember it was a bit of a struggle to set up the
account with e-s but following the detailed guidance out there, got
there, and no problems since, a few outages for a few hours, but thats
in perhaps 15 or so years of continous use

--
Global sea level rise to 2100 from curve-fitted existing altimetry data
<http://diverse.4mg.com/slr.htm>

Re: Newsreder recommendations

<X4v+ZYC1qQFmFwKK@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13219&group=uk.sci.weather#13219

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sci.weather
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 10:30:29 +0100
 by: John Hall - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 09:30 UTC

In message <l7ire9F79caU1@mid.individual.net>, Norman Lynagh
<invalid@invalid.com> writes
>Good evening all,
>
>As you are probably aware, I haven'posted much on here during March and April.
>The problem is that my newsreader has decided to go belly-up after 20-or so
>years of faithful service.

Which newsreader is it? Maybe someone else here is using the same one,
and has managed to make it work? Also are you sure that it's the
newsreader that's at fault, and not the news server that you use? Though
from the headers of your post, it looks like you are using NIN, which
seems to rule that out as the reason.

> Nothing I can do will make it work. I have cobbled
>together something that lets me read the posts and I have managed to get this
>post together (at least I think I have), None of it is at all fully functional
>operatiomally so I wondered what systems other people have. I don't want to go
>down the google groups road.

I don't think that's an option any more anyway, as Google recently
withdrew the Google Groups service. However I believe there are other
outfits that can be found on the WWW offering a comparable service.

> What I am looking for is a fully-functioal
>Newsreader
>
>Any thoughts?
>
>Norman

Unfortunately the newsreader I use, Turnpike, though excellent in many
respects, hasn't been updated for about 15 years and only supports
32-bit Windows, not 64-bit. I believe Mozilla Thunderbird - usually just
called Thunderbird - is the commonest newsreader used nowadays. It also
provides email, but you probably won't want to use that. I believe it's
free.

You might find this Wikipedia article helpful in considering newsreaders
to consider, though it looks like it's a bit out of date:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Usenet_newsreaders

See also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Usenet_newsreaders
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people

Re: Newsreder recommendations

<MPG.407f694154cb5a8265@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13221&group=uk.sci.weather#13221

From: try@reply.to (Alan LeHun)
Newsgroups: uk.sci.weather
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 16:04:10 +0100
 by: Alan LeHun - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 15:04 UTC

In article <X4v+ZYC1qQFmFwKK@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>,
john_nospam@jhall.co.uk says...
> You might find this Wikipedia article helpful in considering newsreaders
> to consider, though it looks like it's a bit out of date:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Usenet_newsreaders
>
> See also:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Usenet_newsreaders

Lol. I'm still using Microplanet Gravity v3 and it's not even mentioned
on those lists. Not even in the discontinued sections.

I did install xananews to see if I could get a bit more control on the
filters but I just couldn't like it. Not mentioned on those lists
either.

--
Alan LeHun

Re: Newsreder recommendations

<qpet4uAeOlFmFwd6@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13223&group=uk.sci.weather#13223

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sci.weather
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 09:53:50 +0100
 by: John Hall - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 08:53 UTC

In message <l7ire9F79caU1@mid.individual.net>, Norman Lynagh
<invalid@invalid.com> writes
>Good evening all,
>
>As you are probably aware, I haven'posted much on here during March and April.
>The problem is that my newsreader has decided to go belly-up after 20-or so
>years of faithful service. Nothing I can do will make it work. I have cobbled
>together something that lets me read the posts and I have managed to get this
>post together (at least I think I have), None of it is at all fully functional
>operatiomally so I wondered what systems other people have. I don't want to go
>down the google groups road. What I am looking for is a fully-functioal
>Newsreader
>
>Any thoughts?
>
>Norman

One further thought. Have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling
xananews (which from your headers it looks like you use)? If you no
longer have the original zip or whatever to reinstall from, then I see
it can still be downloaded from here:

https://xananews.software.informer.com/