From: mail.invalid456@mail.invalid (john west)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Subject: Only plain water for Cleaning Windows
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 15:50:40 +0100
 by: john west - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 14:50 UTC

Having just learnt how good the disposable baby wipes are for various
cleaning jobs i thought they might be good for car windows.

But they leave behind a residue haze that has to be cleaned off.

With so many product coming out for sale these days is there anything
available that is good for car windows or is the old chauffeurs axiom of
*Only Rag and Plain Water* still applicable ?

Re: Only plain water for Cleaning Windows

<t3p896$irv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1357&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#1357

From: nospam@nowhere.com (Ramsman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Subject: Re: Only plain water for Cleaning Windows
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 16:19:01 +0100
 by: Ramsman - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 15:19 UTC

On 20/04/2022 15:50, john west wrote:

> Having just learnt how good the disposable baby wipes are for various
> cleaning jobs i thought they might be good for car windows.
>
> But they leave behind a residue haze that has to be cleaned off.
>
> With so many product coming out for sale these days is there anything
> available that is good for car windows or is the old chauffeurs axiom of
> *Only Rag and Plain Water* still applicable ?

I use diluted screenwash from a spray bottle. Spread with a sponge,
squeegee off and polish any streaks with newspaper.

--
Peter

Re: Only plain water for Cleaning Windows

<t3p8ej$n8c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1358&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#1358

From: fred@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 16:21:53 +0100
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 15:21 UTC

On 20/04/2022 15:50, john west wrote:

> Having just learnt how good the disposable baby wipes are for various
> cleaning jobs i thought they might be good for car windows.
>
> But they leave behind a residue haze that has to be cleaned off.
>
> With so many product coming out for sale these days is there anything
> available that is good for car windows or is the old chauffeurs axiom of
> *Only Rag and Plain Water* still applicable ?

If you ever watch any serious NASCAR racing, you might occasionally see
a pit stop where a long stick appears over the pit wall, and on the end
of the stick is a bit of rag or sponge which is used to clear the
windscreen.

Allegedly its soaked in Coca Cola, but "other brands are available" ...

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: Only plain water for Cleaning Windows

<jcbj2vFtqerU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1359&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#1359

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 00:25:18 +0100
 by: alan_m - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 23:25 UTC

On 20/04/2022 15:50, john west wrote:

> Having just learnt how good the disposable baby wipes are for various
> cleaning jobs i thought they might be good for car windows.
>
> But they leave behind a residue haze that has to be cleaned off.
>
> With so many product coming out for sale these days is there anything
> available that is good for car windows or is the old chauffeurs axiom of
> *Only Rag and Plain Water* still applicable ?

If using water you want deionised water. I have a reverse osmosis filter
system that can output about 25litres in 8 hours.

For cleaning my house windows I will use a garden hose connected to a
brush to get the dirt from the windows. If I leave them to dry just
using this the minerals etc. in the water will be left as spots/streaks
on the glass. What I then do is use a garden sprayer filled with my
filtered water to thoroughly wash away the tap water. Result a perfectly
clean window with no streaks or spots , andhaving to use a squeegy.

For inside glass or mirrors I use a spray mister to cover the glass in
the filtered water and then a paper towel to rub out any dirt spots. A
further spay of filtered water and a quick rub over with the towels and
left to dry. The glass can be left with a small amount of water still o
them.

If the glass is greasy or very dirty then it needs a pre-wash (tap water
with a detergent) followed by a flush with the filtered water.

The problem I've found with car glass is that there is always a film of
(road) dirt/exhaust/etc. that often cannot just be cleaned with just
water. I still use my filtered water as a final application.
What I have found very useful is a windscreen microfibre cloth on a
stick similar to
https://tinyurl.com/47amju4s
(purchased from a pound type shop cheaper than that example)
The microfibre has to remain un-contaminated so only used to dry off the
filtered water application. If the cloth is washed in detergent it gets
a final rinse in filtered water before being put on the washing line.

--
mailto : news {at} admac {dot} myzen {dot} co {contaminated dot} uk