From: fredxx@spam.uk (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Subject: Re: Oil Sump Pump
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 15:30:38 +0100
 by: Fredxx - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 14:30 UTC

On 12/04/2022 11:48, RJH wrote:
> I see these were on sale recently at Lidl. I'd always thought they were a bad
> idea as you can't be sure you get all the old oil out. But I gather some
> garages use them and it'd certainly make my life easier, especially as on my
> car the oil filter is accessed from the top of the engine. Any views?

Some of us boat owners have come up with a smarter method of draining
the oil, especially when access to us underside of the sump is problematic:
https://calcuttboatsshop.com/epages/c3a6cb0f-3e0f-4132-9636-974f7502e04d.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/c3a6cb0f-3e0f-4132-9636-974f7502e04d/Products/POSP6
https://www.enginesplus.co.uk/product/sump-pump/

Usually a valve is incorporated in the flexible pipe and the pump hung
on something convenient.

Re: Oil Sump Pump

<t4714o$k4b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1366&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#1366

From: patchmoney@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 20:43:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 20:43 UTC

On 25 Apr 2022 at 15:30:38 BST, "Fredxx" <fredxx@spam.uk> wrote:

> On 12/04/2022 11:48, RJH wrote:
>> I see these were on sale recently at Lidl. I'd always thought they were a bad
>> idea as you can't be sure you get all the old oil out. But I gather some
>> garages use them and it'd certainly make my life easier, especially as on my
>> car the oil filter is accessed from the top of the engine. Any views?
>
> Some of us boat owners have come up with a smarter method of draining
> the oil, especially when access to us underside of the sump is problematic:
>
> https://calcuttboatsshop.com/epages/c3a6cb0f-3e0f-4132-9636-974f7502e04d.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/c3a6cb0f-3e0f-4132-9636-974f7502e04d/Products/POSP6
> https://www.enginesplus.co.uk/product/sump-pump/
>
> Usually a valve is incorporated in the flexible pipe and the pump hung
> on something convenient.

Again, if you're going to get under the car and remove any guards to get
access to the drain point, you might as well give a spanner a few turns and
remove the sump plug.

At least, I'm assuming that device is somewhere hard to access?

--
Cheers, Rob

Re: Oil Sump Pump

<t47i7u$ab6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1367&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#1367

From: fredxx@spam.uk (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 02:34:54 +0100
 by: Fredxx - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 01:34 UTC

On 25/04/2022 21:43, RJH wrote:
> On 25 Apr 2022 at 15:30:38 BST, "Fredxx" <fredxx@spam.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 12/04/2022 11:48, RJH wrote:
>>> I see these were on sale recently at Lidl. I'd always thought they were a bad
>>> idea as you can't be sure you get all the old oil out. But I gather some
>>> garages use them and it'd certainly make my life easier, especially as on my
>>> car the oil filter is accessed from the top of the engine. Any views?
>>
>> Some of us boat owners have come up with a smarter method of draining
>> the oil, especially when access to us underside of the sump is problematic:
>>
>> https://calcuttboatsshop.com/epages/c3a6cb0f-3e0f-4132-9636-974f7502e04d.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/c3a6cb0f-3e0f-4132-9636-974f7502e04d/Products/POSP6
>> https://www.enginesplus.co.uk/product/sump-pump/
>>
>> Usually a valve is incorporated in the flexible pipe and the pump hung
>> on something convenient.
>
> Again, if you're going to get under the car and remove any guards to get
> access to the drain point, you might as well give a spanner a few turns and
> remove the sump plug.
>
> At least, I'm assuming that device is somewhere hard to access?

Eh?

This device effective replaces the sump plug with a hose and pump. On a
narrowboat the sump is a few cm from the base. You simply place the pump
at some convenient location.

The most difficult part is then replacing the filter.

Re: Oil Sump Pump

<t48dub$16m5$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1368&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#1368

From: skyshac@yahoo.com (Peter Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 10:27:40 +0100
 by: Peter Hill - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 09:27 UTC

On 26/04/2022 02:34, Fredxx wrote:
> On 25/04/2022 21:43, RJH wrote:

>>> Some of us boat owners have come up with a smarter method of draining
>>> the oil, especially when access to us underside of the sump is
>>> problematic:
>>>
>>> https://calcuttboatsshop.com/epages/c3a6cb0f-3e0f-4132-9636-974f7502e04d.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/c3a6cb0f-3e0f-4132-9636-974f7502e04d/Products/POSP6
>>>
>>>     https://www.enginesplus.co.uk/product/sump-pump/
>>>
>>> Usually a valve is incorporated in the flexible pipe and the pump hung
>>> on something convenient.
>>
>> Again, if you're going to get under the car and remove any guards to get
>> access to the drain point, you might as well give a spanner a few
>> turns and
>> remove the sump plug.
>>
>> At least, I'm assuming that device is somewhere hard to access?
>
> Eh?
>
> This device effective replaces the sump plug with a hose and pump. On a
> narrowboat the sump is a few cm from the base. You simply place the pump
> at some convenient location.
>
> The most difficult part is then replacing the filter.

Have they not heard about remote filter kits?

But it adds at least 4 more joints that can piss oil.

And needs more oil as the hoses to and from the remote filter have to be
filled.

Re: Oil Sump Pump

<t48fta$2dq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1369&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#1369

From: fred@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 11:01:13 +0100
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 10:01 UTC

> Have they not heard about remote filter kits?
>
> But it adds at least 4 more joints that can piss oil.
>
> And needs more oil as the hoses to and from the remote filter have to be
> filled.

might as well stick in an oil cooler while you are at it ?

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: Oil Sump Pump

<t48md3$kpq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1370&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#1370

From: fredxx@spam.uk (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 12:52:03 +0100
 by: Fredxx - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 11:52 UTC

On 26/04/2022 10:27, Peter Hill wrote:
> On 26/04/2022 02:34, Fredxx wrote:

>>> Again, if you're going to get under the car and remove any guards to get
>>> access to the drain point, you might as well give a spanner a few
>>> turns and
>>> remove the sump plug.
>>>
>>> At least, I'm assuming that device is somewhere hard to access?
>>
>> Eh?
>>
>> This device effective replaces the sump plug with a hose and pump. On
>> a narrowboat the sump is a few cm from the base. You simply place the
>> pump at some convenient location.
>>
>> The most difficult part is then replacing the filter.
>>

> Have they not heard about remote filter kits?
>
> But it adds at least 4 more joints that can piss oil.
>
> And needs more oil as the hoses to and from the remote filter have to be
> filled.

On the engine I have in mind access to the oil filter is good, so no
need for a remote filter. Unscrewing the filter may require a tool, my
point was that operating a handpump to empty the oil is a trivial operation.

The remote oil filter may well be useful for some marinised engines.