From: the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Subject: UK takes swipe at America
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 11:57:43 +0000
 by: The Happy Hippy - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 11:57 UTC

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/the-uk-believes-the-council-must-be-reformed-uk-statement-at-the-un-general-assembly

<quotes>

The UK believes the Council must be reformed: UK statement at the UN General Assembly

The United Kingdom has not used our veto since 1989. As a proud signatory of the Accountability, Coherence, and Transparency Group's Code of Conduct, we remain committed never to vote against a credible draft resolution on preventing or ending a mass atrocity.

We encourage all Member States, including the other permanent members of the Council, to support this initiative.

</quotes>

This is the official view of the UK.

It is pretty clear who those words are directed at, which vetoing permanent member they refer to, which permanent member our government sees as standing in the way of preventing and ending mass atrocities.

And an insight into how the UK views a certain country's current action.

Re: UK takes swipe at America

<_rhgN.96123$c68d.74007@fx15.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13718&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#13718

From: ngspammersad@yahoo.com (TWP)
Subject: Re: UK takes swipe at America
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 14:06:50 GMT
 by: TWP - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 14:06 UTC

On Tue, 19 Dec 2023 11:57:43 +0000, The Happy Hippy wrote:

> https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/the-uk-believes-the-council-must-
be-reformed-uk-statement-at-the-un-general-assembly

> <quotes>
>
> The UK believes the Council must be reformed: UK statement at the UN
> General Assembly
>
> The United Kingdom has not used our veto since 1989. As a proud
> signatory of the Accountability, Coherence, and Transparency Group's
> Code of Conduct, we remain committed never to vote against a credible
> draft resolution on preventing or ending a mass atrocity.
>
> We encourage all Member States, including the other permanent members of
> the Council, to support this initiative.
>
> </quotes>
>
> This is the official view of the UK.
>
> It is pretty clear who those words are directed at, which vetoing
> permanent member they refer to, which permanent member our government
> sees as standing in the way of preventing and ending mass atrocities.
>
> And an insight into how the UK views a certain country's current action.

The UNSC is something that happens to other people.

The UN isn't going to control the kind of power America has whatever they
decide.

Re: UK takes swipe at America

<20231219175843.0000184a@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13721&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#13721

From: the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 17:58:43 +0000
 by: The Happy Hippy - Tue, 19 Dec 2023 17:58 UTC

On Tue, 19 Dec 2023 14:06:50 GMT
TWP <ngspammersad@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Dec 2023 11:57:43 +0000, The Happy Hippy wrote:
>
> > https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/the-uk-believes-the-council-must-
> >
> be-reformed-uk-statement-at-the-un-general-assembly
> >
> > <quotes>
> >
> > The UK believes the Council must be reformed: UK statement at the UN
> > General Assembly
> >
> > The United Kingdom has not used our veto since 1989. As a proud
> > signatory of the Accountability, Coherence, and Transparency Group's
> > Code of Conduct, we remain committed never to vote against a
> > credible draft resolution on preventing or ending a mass atrocity.
> >
> > We encourage all Member States, including the other permanent
> > members of the Council, to support this initiative.
> >
> > </quotes>
> >
> > This is the official view of the UK.
> >
> > It is pretty clear who those words are directed at, which vetoing
> > permanent member they refer to, which permanent member our
> > government sees as standing in the way of preventing and ending
> > mass atrocities.
> >
> > And an insight into how the UK views a certain country's current
> > action.
>

> The UNSC is something that happens to other people.
>
> The UN isn't going to control the kind of power America has whatever
> they decide.

I'm not so sure. There are plenty of options for embargoes and sanctions which would be extremely painful for America to bear which could well constrain her. Just the threat of destabilising America's leadership or economy, removing dollar supremacy, will have them thinking that maybe it would be better to follow a different path.

Most times we are not talking about existential threat which America needs to address and won't be constrained on. It's crass political protection and favouritism which is the problem.

It's patently clear the absolute veto system is flawed when we have America protecting Israel, Russia protecting Iran, China protecting North Korea, when everyone else is against that.

I don't expect any of the five permanent members to surrender their veto, but things can be reformed.

Some sort of weighting in votes or veto would end the nonsense that a single permanent member can hold the world to ransom.

If one claims to believe in democracy, accepting that should be a no-brainer.