From: the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Subject: Carmageddon 2026
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 12:46:16 +0000
 by: The Happy Hippy - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 12:46 UTC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-67825617

<quotes>

Driverless cars could be on some UK roads by the end of 2026, the transport secretary has told the BBC.

Mark Harper also said he expected to see the owners of those vehicles being able to travel without having to watch where they're going by the end of that year.

Mr Harper insisted the technology will be rolled out "gradually" and would be up to individuals if they want to use it.

</quotes>

But individuals will not be able to opt-out of being killed by an errant autonomous car.

Seeing full self driving vehicles, with no need for driver attention arriving by the end of 2026 is highly unlikely, pure wishful thinking.

Still, less wishful thinking than the government saying we would see them on our roads by the end of 2025, just a month ago.

There is not a single Level 5 autonomous vehicle for sale to the public anywhere in the world. Analysts don't even expect Level 3 to be available in the US for several more years.

Re: Carmageddon 2026

<EenjN.71058$aZie.24018@fx11.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13932&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#13932

From: ngspammersad@yahoo.com (TWP)
Subject: Re: Carmageddon 2026
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 23:09:24 GMT
 by: TWP - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 23:09 UTC

On Wed, 27 Dec 2023 12:46:16 +0000, The Happy Hippy wrote:

> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-67825617
>
> <quotes>
>
> Driverless cars could be on some UK roads by the end of 2026, the
> transport secretary has told the BBC.
>
> Mark Harper also said he expected to see the owners of those vehicles
> being able to travel without having to watch where they're going by the
> end of that year.
>
> Mr Harper insisted the technology will be rolled out "gradually" and
> would be up to individuals if they want to use it.
>
> </quotes>
>
> But individuals will not be able to opt-out of being killed by an errant
> autonomous car.
>
> Seeing full self driving vehicles, with no need for driver attention
> arriving by the end of 2026 is highly unlikely, pure wishful thinking.
>
> Still, less wishful thinking than the government saying we would see
> them on our roads by the end of 2025, just a month ago.
>
> There is not a single Level 5 autonomous vehicle for sale to the public
> anywhere in the world. Analysts don't even expect Level 3 to be
> available in the US for several more years.

https://youtu.be/LuXbtGVhjp4?t=3250
"There's nobody in that car!"

It depends. They might be around on motorways where the roads are
straight and the layout is simple. I don't think you'll see them for a
while on some of our godless regular roads.

I've heard - and this may be wrong - that they'll still need a driver
holding the steering wheel so a human can quickly take over and also so a
human driver can take the blame if the car crashes for legal and insurance
reasons. It would have to be really quick and easy to turn off automation.

Re: Carmageddon 2026

<20231229003334.00007e33@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13937&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#13937

From: the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 00:33:34 +0000
 by: The Happy Hippy - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 00:33 UTC

On Thu, 28 Dec 2023 23:09:24 GMT
TWP <ngspammersad@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Dec 2023 12:46:16 +0000, The Happy Hippy wrote:
>
> > https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-67825617
> >
> > <quotes>
> >
> > Driverless cars could be on some UK roads by the end of 2026, the
> > transport secretary has told the BBC.
> >
> > Mark Harper also said he expected to see the owners of those
> > vehicles being able to travel without having to watch where they're
> > going by the end of that year.
> >
> > Mr Harper insisted the technology will be rolled out "gradually" and
> > would be up to individuals if they want to use it.
> >
> > </quotes>
> >
> > But individuals will not be able to opt-out of being killed by an
> > errant autonomous car.
> >
> > Seeing full self driving vehicles, with no need for driver attention
> > arriving by the end of 2026 is highly unlikely, pure wishful
> > thinking.
> >
> > Still, less wishful thinking than the government saying we would see
> > them on our roads by the end of 2025, just a month ago.
> >
> > There is not a single Level 5 autonomous vehicle for sale to the
> > public anywhere in the world. Analysts don't even expect Level 3 to
> > be available in the US for several more years.
>
> https://youtu.be/LuXbtGVhjp4?t=3250
> "There's nobody in that car!"
>
> It depends. They might be around on motorways where the roads are
> straight and the layout is simple. I don't think you'll see them for
> a while on some of our godless regular roads.
>
> I've heard - and this may be wrong - that they'll still need a driver
> holding the steering wheel so a human can quickly take over and also
> so a human driver can take the blame if the car crashes for legal and
> insurance reasons. It would have to be really quick and easy to turn
> off automation.

That's the ting; we are nowhere near what Harpers says we are nearing. Driver assist is already a thing for motorways but even then it's not safe without a driver with hands on steering wheel.

'Works on motorways' where things are very well defined is very different from what most roads are like.