From: mills37.fslife@gmail.com (Roger Mills)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Subject: Re: Matching trailer to Indespension units
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 14:31:56 +0100
 by: Roger Mills - Fri, 17 Jun 2022 13:31 UTC

On 16/06/2022 16:45, kalic...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hoping it's ok to post here, as it's kinda cars related.
>
> I need to replace the Indespenion units on my trailer. The new ones all seem to be a standard size with mounting holes 76mm apart. Fair enough, but the plates on my trailer that the old, knackered, ones are attached too have mounting holes that are slight off those centres.
>
> Any suggestions for the best way to mount the new units? Stikes me some options are:
>
> 1. Weld new plates on the trailer body, so they can be drilled with perfectly matching holes;
> 2. Drill out the exiting holes a bit, so they are oval-ish and should be able to accommodate the new units. I don't like this idea much as they could work lose in the bigger, oversized holes.
> 3. ???
>
> Is there a better solution? A right or wrong way? After all, I don't want the suspection coming loose at 70mph on the motorway.
>
> Thanks.

How much different are the centres? If only 2 or 3 mm, elongating the
holes shouldn't a problem. Use large 'penny' washers and self-locking
nuts - or castellated nuts and split-pins if you prefer.

Incidentally, you shouldn't be doing 70mph on a motorway when towing -
the limit is 60!
--
Cheers,
Roger