From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Subject: Google Home/nest actions removed
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 10:03:13 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 16 Jun 2023 09:03 UTC

A lot of blind folk tended to use these devices as they were cheap An action
was written by Wireless for the Blind to enable it to play the talking
newspapers for the Blind. For some years this has been working well.
For no apparent reason, Google have decided to no longer allow third party
written actions on the platform. This has not only meant no more access to
talking newspapers, but also many foreign radio stations, since all you can
use now is Tune in UK and as we all know a legal ruling will not allow them
to put a link to a station not paying a uk licence fee.
Thus far, however, Amazon on their Echo devices still allow third party
skills, and indeed some are subscription only. However the talking newspaper
one is free, and there is also a skill for mushroom fm the blind run radio
station, which has become a casualty of the removal of a Google action on
the speaker as well. All because its servers are not in the UK.

I just wondered if Google actually thought of the bad publicity this move
creates?
Brian

--

--: