From: 43f66bf27371548b34e97a2ada87737f@example.com (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Subject: Re: Autoglass Refunds
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2022 03:31:13 +0000
 by: Brian - Sun, 24 Jul 2022 03:31 UTC

I booked a new windscreen, a few days before the appointed day and i hadn't heard anything I phoned autoglass. they claimed they had tried to contact me but couldnt?? Basically they needed some more details on the type of windscreen as there are a few different types. eventually they said they didint have it in stock, would contact all the depots to see if anyone had one, and if not would order one. Of course no depot had one in stock but this time I did receive a text to say it was now on back order with no ETA!! That was 2 weeks ago and they took my £95.00 insurance. Im not sure if I can cancel and 'shop' elsewhere or just wait for an indefinite time in the hope my windscreen arrives. its only a Hyundai Kona (2020) nothing special.

--
For full context, visit https://www.motorsforum.com/maintenance-uk/autoglass-refunds-6658-.htm

Re: Autoglass Refunds

<tbj9kk$ihce$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1436&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#1436

From: fred@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2022 12:15:32 +0100
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Sun, 24 Jul 2022 11:15 UTC

On 24/07/2022 04:31, Brian wrote:
> I booked a new windscreen, a few days before the appointed day and i
> hadn't heard anything I phoned autoglass. they claimed they had tried to
> contact me but couldnt?? Basically they needed some more details on the
> type of windscreen as there are a few different types. eventually they
> said they didint have it in stock, would contact all the depots to see
> if anyone had one, and if not would order one. Of course no depot had
> one in stock but this time I did receive a text to say it was now on
> back order with no ETA!! That was 2 weeks ago and they took my £95.00
> insurance. Im not sure if I can cancel and 'shop' elsewhere or just wait
> for an indefinite time in the hope my windscreen arrives. its only a
> Hyundai Kona (2020) nothing special.

Some relatively mundane pieces of glass are surprisingly rare.

I once had a Ford Escort in a strange green colour, with a slight tint
on all the glass.

I had to wait for more than a month before anybody could find a
replacement rear quarter light tinted in the correct colour.

I also recently had a replacement windscreen fitted by Autoglass (also
£95) and found them very helpful and efficient so ...

Have you checked your junk email box ?

And, you might get a few more responses if you start your own thread,
instead of tacking something on to a completely unrelated post.

AT

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: Autoglass Refunds

<1373749418.680355576.996215.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1437&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#1437

From: tim.downie@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: 24 Jul 2022 11:41:34 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Sun, 24 Jul 2022 11:41 UTC

Abandoned_Trolley <fred@fred-smith.co.uk> wrote:
> On 24/07/2022 04:31, Brian wrote:
>> I booked a new windscreen, a few days before the appointed day and i
>> hadn't heard anything I phoned autoglass. they claimed they had tried to
>> contact me but couldnt?? Basically they needed some more details on the
>> type of windscreen as there are a few different types. eventually they
>> said they didint have it in stock, would contact all the depots to see
>> if anyone had one, and if not would order one. Of course no depot had
>> one in stock but this time I did receive a text to say it was now on
>> back order with no ETA!! That was 2 weeks ago and they took my £95.00
>> insurance. Im not sure if I can cancel and 'shop' elsewhere or just wait
>> for an indefinite time in the hope my windscreen arrives. its only a
>> Hyundai Kona (2020) nothing special.
>>

> Some relatively mundane pieces of glass are surprisingly rare.
>
> I once had a Ford Escort in a strange green colour, with a slight tint
> on all the glass.
>
> I had to wait for more than a month before anybody could find a
> replacement rear quarter light tinted in the correct colour.

Well I wouldn’t expect a tinted quarter-light to part of any company’s
regular stock but we’re talking about a windscreen here. A Kona isn’t a
particularly exotic car…

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Autoglass Refunds

<tbjnj3$m24j$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1438&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#1438

From: fred@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2022 16:13:38 +0100
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Sun, 24 Jul 2022 15:13 UTC

>A Kona isn’t a particularly exotic car…

and a Ford Escort is even less exotic

but as I suggested earlier, you might get a few more sensible responses
by starting a thread of your own

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: Autoglass Refunds

<tbk87l$pvcl$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1439&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#1439

From: noinv@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2022 19:57:41 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:RN6cWvDeyYJDTdm0+3bBvIYMpr8=
 by: Brian - Sun, 24 Jul 2022 19:57 UTC

Brian <43f66bf27371548b34e97a2ada87737f@example.com> wrote:
> I booked a new windscreen, a few days before the appointed day and i
> hadn't heard anything I phoned autoglass. they claimed they had tried to
> contact me but couldnt?? Basically they needed some more details on the
> type of windscreen as there are a few different types. eventually they
> said they didint have it in stock, would contact all the depots to see if
> anyone had one, and if not would order one. Of course no depot had one in
> stock but this time I did receive a text to say it was now on back order
> with no ETA!! That was 2 weeks ago and they took my £95.00 insurance. Im
> not sure if I can cancel and 'shop' elsewhere or just wait for an
> indefinite time in the hope my windscreen arrives. its only a Hyundai
> Kona (2020) nothing special.

Years ago, I needed a new windscreen. While it was covered by insurance, I
enquired at the local main dealer ( the screen was heated and tinted, a Mk3
Escort Ghia) Their price was a fraction of Autoglass and they did it all
but immediately. (I think 60% + cheaper)

The insurance company were a bit difficult. I assume they had a deal with
autoglass which massively undercut the price the quoted me but they coughed
up.

Re: Autoglass Refunds

<5a0e9ff61edave@davenoise.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1440&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#1440

From: dave@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 16:23:28 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 15:23 UTC

The rear screen on my SD1 shattered some years ago. No idea why.

Was insured, and the insurance insisted I use Autoglass.

They said the correct colour one (bronze) was NLA. A pal in the trade
found one in the Autoglass central warehouse. Auto glass said it was only
for a Vitesse. (All S2 are the same, apart from colour and bronze used on
several models)

They eventually agreed to have it sent. It was replaced at home while I
watched. It was fitted bone dry using the old rubber seal (which is easy
to get new)

Of course it leaked.

Had to take it do a depot. They agreed to fit a new seal if I bought and
paid for it.

Wasn't allowed to see them fit it. But they scratched the paint badly in
two places removing it. And it leaked again afterwards too.

Ended up paying a local company to do the job properly - as per the BL
manual - using a sealer between body and seal, and seal to glass.

Bunch of absolute wankers.

--
*Some days we are the flies; some days we are the windscreen.*

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.