Chaos is King and Magic is loose in the world.

aus+uk / uk.games.video.misc / Re: Petrol With Battery Electricity (PWBE 18 Sep 2023)

SubjectAuthor
* Petrol With Battery Electricity (PWBE 18 Sep 2023)Kendrick Kerwin Chua
+- Petrol With Battery Electricity (PWBE 18 Sep 2023)Jaimie Vandenbergh
+- Petrol With Battery Electricity (PWBE 18 Sep 2023)Russell Marks
`* Petrol With Battery Electricity (PWBE 18 Sep 2023)Geeknix
 `- Petrol With Battery Electricity (PWBE 18 Sep 2023)Jaimie Vandenbergh

1
Petrol With Battery Electricity (PWBE 18 Sep 2023)

<mnednbwLEp8eDpr4nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1435&group=uk.games.video.misc#1435

Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Petrol With Battery Electricity (PWBE 18 Sep 2023)
From: kendrick@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 00:02:11 +0000
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 00:02 UTC

In America, the worry is that nobody wants to sell or buy electric cars,
creating a negative feedback loop of doom. But in Britain, the worry is
that domestic manufacturers won't ever be able to catch up to Chinese
firms that are two decades ahead in experience and product maturity.
With my global perspective hat on, I think you have it better off than I
do because having the option at all is much, much more appealing than
having no option at all.

Play:
--=--

Tokyo Xanadu EX+ (PS4) - It takes a really good game to get me to commit
for 61 hours, and to set all other games aside. I've finished the main
game (in what I assume was its form as released originally on the Vita)
and I'm now into the EX+ content, which is charming in a way that
balances being completely unnecessary with totally welcome anyway. It's
a rare RPG that has this setting and situation that makes you want to
spend more time with its characters, not less. Even with this extra
content I'm still left wanting just a little bit more, and I'm
compulsively playing every spare minute I get.

Want:
--=--

Other Xanadu games - I have Xanadu Next (on both the N-gage and the PC)
sitting around unfinished, and I wonder what I've missed in terms of
narrative that connects them to this newer one. Annoyingly, both of the
Legend of Xanadu game for Turbo CD never got released in the west, and I
wonder what it takes to get Falcom and Hudson to revisit old Xanadu
games with the same enthusiasm that they seem to reserve only for the Ys
series.

Bin:
-==-

Nothing game-related.

Expenditure:
-----=-----

Balance forward - $3,887

-KKC, who isn't looking forward to this week but can't remember why.

Re: Petrol With Battery Electricity (PWBE 18 Sep 2023)

<kmqksrF1915U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1436&group=uk.games.video.misc#1436

From: jaimie@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: 18 Sep 2023 09:51:23 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 09:51 UTC

On 18 Sep 2023 at 01:02:11 BST, "Kendrick Kerwin Chua"
<kendrick@nospam.io-nyc> wrote:

> In America, the worry is that nobody wants to sell or buy electric cars,
> creating a negative feedback loop of doom.

This might be a symptom of your locale, as everything else I ever hear
about EVs in the US is the obvious polarised "these seem nice, I'll take
two" and "fuck no, I roll coal" nonsense. I imagine your state is 99%
the latter, while the geek podcasts I listen to are naturally 99% the
former.

> But in Britain, the worry is
> that domestic manufacturers

don't exist. FTFY :)

> Play:
> --=--

Uh. Nothing. Had a bad week, wasn't even up to PMG.

> Want:
> --=--

A better week. Got not only Episode 2 of the Monkey Islands tale in Sea
of Thieves queued up, but there's also a month of free access to a new
episode of We Were Here that needs to be done.

> Bin:
> -==-
>
> Nothing game-related.

Yerp.

> -KKC, who isn't looking forward to this week but can't remember why.

Mondays, eh?

Cheers - Jaimie

--
"the first successful time machine will be used to retrieve
lost Doctor Who episode footage." - KKC, ugvm

Re: Petrol With Battery Electricity (PWBE 18 Sep 2023)

<0rYNM.36857$MU78.11274@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1437&group=uk.games.video.misc#1437

From: zgedneil@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com (Russell Marks)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 13:40:12 GMT
 by: Russell Marks - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 13:40 UTC

> Play:

Minecraft (PS4) - with this version hopefully having a better chance
of remembering what I did from one minute to the next. Mostly I was
checking a previously-unexplored area, and ended up looting an Illager
Outpost I found. I was so careful to not kill the standard-bearer
which would result in a raid starting the next time I entered a
village, until I managed to get myself trapped in a corner while
trying to block the stairs - after that it just seemed unavoidable. So
I headed for the nice flat coastal village I'd discovered earlier to
get the raid over with, only to discover on the way a really awkward
village in a snowy forest with crap visibility, hilly terrain, and
various pits around. Helpfully, the raid triggered there instead.

Raids are simple enough in theory, just defend against several waves
of attackers (using a crossbow from the roof of one of the houses is
how I've mostly approached it), but some of those attackers can hit
pretty hard as well as having some annoying attacks. In particular,
due to an update after raids were added, Evokers can summon flying
baddies which seem to (perhaps somewhat glitchily like polar bears)
hit you even through walls. That last detail I discovered just after
taking cover inside a small house with basically no health, which
quickly became actually no health. Which is when I was reminded that
I'd removed the bed I previously set as a spawn point and hadn't
bothered using one in the village, so I respawned with nothing roughly
2000 blocks away, not even knowing for sure where the village had
been. Ugh. I did eventually sort the mess out and get back most of my
gear (so for once I didn't lose a full set of armour) and even ended
up clearing the raid, but, yeah. Not the biggest fan of raids TBH.

> Want:

Nothing.

> Bin:

PS4 Minecraft performance seemingly getting just a little worse with
each update, though I suppose that's a bit of a software-in-general
thing.

-Rus.

Re: Petrol With Battery Electricity (PWBE 18 Sep 2023)

<slrnugv813.aao.usenet@raspberrypi.geeknix.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1438&group=uk.games.video.misc#1438

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder6.news.weretis.net!border-2.nntp.ord.giganews.com!border-1.nntp.ord.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!tr2.iad1.usenetexpress.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr2.eu1.usenetexpress.com!feeder3.usenet.farm!feeder4.usenet.farm!feeder1.feed.usenet.farm!feed.usenet.farm!peer02.ams4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!peer01.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!fx08.ams1.POSTED!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
From: usenet@apple.geeknix135.net (Geeknix)
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2023 03:00:03 GMT
 by: Geeknix - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 03:00 UTC

On 2023-09-18, Kendrick Kerwin Chua <kendrick@nospam.io-nyc> wrote:

> In America, the worry is that nobody wants to sell or buy electric cars,
> creating a negative feedback loop of doom. But in Britain, the worry is
> that domestic manufacturers won't ever be able to catch up to Chinese
> firms that are two decades ahead in experience and product maturity.
> With my global perspective hat on, I think you have it better off than I
> do because having the option at all is much, much more appealing than
> having no option at all.

I have nothing to add here. Just want to say thanks for the read and
tips what I should play, or not, in future.

--
Don't be afraid of the deep...
--[ bbs.bottomlessabyss.net | https | telnet=2023 ]--

Re: Petrol With Battery Electricity (PWBE 18 Sep 2023)

<knagrpFjm5bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1439&group=uk.games.video.misc#1439

From: jaimie@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: 24 Sep 2023 10:20:41 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Sun, 24 Sep 2023 10:20 UTC

On 24 Sep 2023 at 04:00:03 BST, "Geeknix" <usenet@apple.geeknix135.net>
wrote:

> On 2023-09-18, Kendrick Kerwin Chua <kendrick@nospam.io-nyc> wrote:
>>
>> In America, the worry is that nobody wants to sell or buy electric cars,
>> creating a negative feedback loop of doom. But in Britain, the worry is
>> that domestic manufacturers won't ever be able to catch up to Chinese
>> firms that are two decades ahead in experience and product maturity.
>> With my global perspective hat on, I think you have it better off than I
>> do because having the option at all is much, much more appealing than
>> having no option at all.
>
> I have nothing to add here. Just want to say thanks for the read and
> tips what I should play, or not, in future.

It's an odd sort of permanent record, but glad it's being useful.

There's a soundtrack to this as well - https://ugvm.org.uk/podcast/

Cheers - Jaimie

--
If you think it's simple, then you have misunderstood the problem
-- Bjarne Stroustrup

aus+uk / uk.games.video.misc / Re: Petrol With Battery Electricity (PWBE 18 Sep 2023)