From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Subject: Groove scrape
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 11:06:16 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 10:06 UTC

I was thinking the other day about a phenomenon. As a stereo groove is
played, the width must reduce due to the two signals in each side of the
groove, IE anti phase sound is vertical modulation, So this will tend to
push the stylus up and down the opposite wall if one channel is almost
silent. Some records and cartridges do show this as a kind of grainy sound.
The better the lubrication or damping the less it seems to occur, which is
why if I get a rare release on vinyl, I play it under a layer of water and
washing up liquid .
It also helps to stop static and can be used to help get the worst of the
muck off if used in a knowin bath. Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...