From: rightwing@oldfarts.co.uk (Johnny Jick)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Subject: mass air flow sensor query (flow straightener)?
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 15:31:04 +0800
 by: Johnny Jick - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 07:31 UTC

I was troubleshooting a friend's car, that was hard to start. Also
lacked power going up steep hills. Checked the usual stuff: ignition,
fuel filter, air filter, exhaust sensors blah blah. The only defect I
found was the honeycomb laminar flow straightener was missing from the
MAF sensor.
I obtained a replacement (cheap Chinesium copycat) and behold, it now
starts fine.
So does the missing honeycomb cause the airflow to be under-estimated?

Re: mass air flow sensor query (flow straightener)?

<tg1dej$3lppo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1445&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#1445

From: fred@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Subject: Re: mass air flow sensor query (flow straightener)?
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 09:51:31 +0100
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Fri, 16 Sep 2022 08:51 UTC

On 16/09/2022 08:31, Johnny Jick wrote:
> I was troubleshooting a friend's car, that was hard to start. Also
> lacked power going up steep hills. Checked the usual stuff: ignition,
> fuel filter, air filter, exhaust sensors blah blah. The only defect I
> found was the honeycomb laminar flow straightener was missing from the
> MAF sensor.
> I obtained a replacement (cheap Chinesium copycat) and behold, it now
> starts fine.
> So does the missing honeycomb cause the airflow to be under-estimated?

My guess is .. yes

I suspect that the "straightener" might increase the air velocity as it
goes past the sensor - a bit like wot a venturi does in a carburettor ?

The sensor probably cannot measure volume, so has to work it out from
velocity and throttle angle.

Also, most petrol engines are designed to operate with an air filter in
place - and as soon as its removed the fuel/air mixture will be
compromised.

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: mass air flow sensor query (flow straightener)?

<tg3c6l$19ld$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1449&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#1449

From: jj@gurlsquad.org (Johnny JIck)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 10:42:26 +0800
 by: Johnny JIck - Sat, 17 Sep 2022 02:42 UTC

Abandoned_Trolley wrote:
> On 16/09/2022 08:31, Johnny Jick wrote:
>> I was troubleshooting a friend's car, that was hard to start. Also
>> lacked power going up steep hills. Checked the usual stuff: ignition,
>> fuel filter, air filter, exhaust sensors blah blah. The only defect I
>> found was the honeycomb laminar flow straightener was missing from the
>> MAF sensor.
>> I obtained a replacement (cheap Chinesium copycat) and behold, it now
>> starts fine.
>> So does the missing honeycomb cause the airflow to be under-estimated?
>
> My guess isĀ  .. yes
>
> I suspect that the "straightener" might increase the air velocity as it
> goes past the sensorĀ  - a bit like wot a venturi does in a carburettor ?

I found more to confirm this on website of V8 performance accessories.
They said lack of honeycomb may cause "too lean" ECU error codes. Some
revheads remove it, believing it restricts airflow, but end up with less
petrol from the injectors.
Without the straightener, flow becomes turbulent. So the air going past
the hot wires must be less than the average air flow.

Re: mass air flow sensor query (flow straightener)?

<tg40ce$4dnl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1450&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#1450

From: fred@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 09:26:54 +0100
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Sat, 17 Sep 2022 08:26 UTC

> Without the straightener, flow becomes turbulent. So the air going past
> the hot wires must be less than the average air flow.

To confuse matters yet more, I suspect that there might be another
sensor on the other side of the throttle plate to measure the manifold
depression.

And the moral of this story is ... removing random bits from motor
vehicles will reduce weight but may not improve performance.

--
random signature text inserted here