From: mike.swift@yeton.co.uk (Mike Swift)
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.misc
Subject: The Gallows Pole
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 15:37:14 +0100
 by: Mike Swift - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 14:37 UTC

What a pointless jumbled badly acted piece of crap this was, at least
for the first 15 minutes before I switched of.

I could have been brilliant, a historic story that the BBC made so well
in the past, well acted and informative.

Instead it was incoherent and filled with unnecessary effing and
blinding, I'm no prude but there was much more than was needed.

The Yorkshire accents were a joke straight from Monty Python's Three
Yorkshiremen sketch.

I see from comments elsewhere, non complementary, that the "author" lets
the "actors" choose their own words, this was evident in the
unintelligible 15 minutes I foolishly watched.

Very disappointed.

Mike

Yorkshire Halvard Lange

Re: The Gallows Pole

<u5ac3m$2qnab$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1467&group=uk.media.tv.misc#1467

From: me@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.misc
Subject: Re: The Gallows Pole
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 16:05:22 +0100
 by: NY - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 15:05 UTC

"Mike Swift" <mike.swift@yeton.co.uk> wrote in message

> What a pointless jumbled badly acted piece of crap this was, at least for
> the first 15 minutes before I switched of.
>
> I could have been brilliant, a historic story that the BBC made so well in
> the past, well acted and informative.
>
> Instead it was incoherent and filled with unnecessary effing and blinding,
> I'm no prude but there was much more than was needed.
>
> The Yorkshire accents were a joke straight from Monty Python's Three
> Yorkshiremen sketch.
>
> I see from comments elsewhere, non complementary, that the "author" lets
> the "actors" choose their own words, this was evident in the
> unintelligible 15 minutes I foolishly watched.

I've not watched it yet, but I've seen the end-credits sequence as I was
transcribing the cast for the entry on IMDB. And it looked like the creative
result of a very bad acid trip. The reviews are mixed: the Independent
loathed it
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/reviews/the-gallows-pole-review-shane-meadows-b2348985.html
but the Guardian loved it
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/may/31/the-gallows-pole-review-shane-meadowss-period-drama-is-an-absolute-must-see

I suppose I could have guessed that it was going to be an "arty" adaptation
from the number of "Supporting Artist" cast who had no previous credits,
especially children of the starring actors.

I was brought up on the Cragg Vale Coiners story from Phyllis Bentley's
novel for children Gold Pieces in which a fictional weaver's son gets to
know David Hartley's son and gets drawn into the coin-clipping conspiracy.
It was a while before I learned that the coiners were real and not something
that Bentley invented for her novel. The BBC would have done well to adapt
that novel instead...

Re: The Gallows Pole

<MPG.3ee33e42fd3a4f07989754@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1471&group=uk.media.tv.misc#1471

From: jim@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim the Geordie)
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.misc
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 00:46:47 +0100
 by: Jim the Geordie - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 23:46 UTC

In article <u5ac3m$2qnab$1@dont-email.me>, me@privacy.invalid says...

> "Mike Swift" <mike.swift@yeton.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> > What a pointless jumbled badly acted piece of crap this was, at least for
> > the first 15 minutes before I switched of.
> >
> > I could have been brilliant, a historic story that the BBC made so well in
> > the past, well acted and informative.
> >
> > Instead it was incoherent and filled with unnecessary effing and blinding,
> > I'm no prude but there was much more than was needed.
> >
> > The Yorkshire accents were a joke straight from Monty Python's Three
> > Yorkshiremen sketch.
> >
> > I see from comments elsewhere, non complementary, that the "author" lets
> > the "actors" choose their own words, this was evident in the
> > unintelligible 15 minutes I foolishly watched.
>
> I've not watched it yet, but I've seen the end-credits sequence as I was
> transcribing the cast for the entry on IMDB. And it looked like the creative
> result of a very bad acid trip. The reviews are mixed: the Independent
> loathed it
> https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/reviews/the-gallows-pole-review-shane-meadows-b2348985.html
> but the Guardian loved it
> https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/may/31/the-gallows-pole-review-shane-meadowss-period-drama-is-an-absolute-must-see
>
> I suppose I could have guessed that it was going to be an "arty" adaptation
> from the number of "Supporting Artist" cast who had no previous credits,
> especially children of the starring actors.
>

> I was brought up on the Cragg Vale Coiners story from Phyllis Bentley's
> novel for children Gold Pieces in which a fictional weaver's son gets to
> know David Hartley's son and gets drawn into the coin-clipping conspiracy.
> It was a while before I learned that the coiners were real and not something
> that Bentley invented for her novel. The BBC would have done well to adapt
> that novel instead...

I agree that the first half was incomprehensible and the swearing
unnecessary, but once past the rather touching dialog between the
blighted couple, it left me in the hope that it can only get better.
If you think of a grand prix after the first two laps then you feel it
may settle down.

--
Jim the Geordie

Re: The Gallows Pole

<kdsp03Fadu5U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1472&group=uk.media.tv.misc#1472

From: jenningsandco@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.misc
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 00:47:16 +0100
 by: JNugent - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 23:47 UTC

On 01/06/2023 03:37 pm, Mike Swift wrote:

> What a pointless jumbled badly acted piece of crap this was, at least
> for the first 15 minutes before I switched of.
>
> I could have been brilliant, a historic story that the BBC made so well
> in the past, well acted and informative.
>
> Instead it was incoherent and filled with unnecessary effing and
> blinding, I'm no prude but there was much more than was needed.
>
> The Yorkshire accents were a joke straight from Monty Python's Three
> Yorkshiremen sketch.
>
> I see from comments elsewhere, non complementary, that the "author" lets
> the "actors" choose their own words, this was evident in the
> unintelligible 15 minutes I foolishly watched.
>
> Very disappointed.
>
> Mike

Total agreement.

We managed about seven minutes before giving up and watching Episode 2
of the far superior "Poker Face" on Sky Max.