Sinners can repent, but stupid is forever.

aus+uk / aus.electronics / Re: OT: Pedestal fan purchase

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Pedestal fan purchaseSylvia Else
+* OT: Pedestal fan purchaseXeno
|`* OT: Pedestal fan purchaseSylvia Else
| +- OT: Pedestal fan purchaseXeno
| `* OT: Pedestal fan purchaseComputer Nerd Kev
|  `- OT: Pedestal fan purchaseSylvia Else
`* OT: Pedestal fan purchaseRod Speed
 +- OT: Pedestal fan purchaseMighty Mouse
 `* OT: Pedestal fan purchaseSylvia Else
  +* OT: Pedestal fan purchaseComputer Nerd Kev
  |+* OT: Pedestal fan purchaseXeno
  ||+* OT: Pedestal fan purchaseSylvia Else
  |||+- OT: Pedestal fan purchaseKeithr0
  |||+- OT: Pedestal fan purchasePeter Jason
  |||`- OT: Pedestal fan purchaseRod Speed
  ||+* OT: Pedestal fan purchaseMighty Mouse
  |||`- OT: Pedestal fan purchaseXeno
  ||+* OT: Pedestal fan purchaseComputer Nerd Kev
  |||`* OT: Pedestal fan purchaseSylvia Else
  ||| `* OT: Pedestal fan purchaseDaryl
  |||  `- OT: Pedestal fan purchaseRod Speed
  ||`* OT: Pedestal fan purchaseRod Speed
  || `* OT: Pedestal fan purchaseXeno
  ||  +* OT: Pedestal fan purchaseMighty Mouse
  ||  |+- OT: Pedestal fan purchaseXeno
  ||  |`- OT: Pedestal fan purchaseRod Speed
  ||  `* OT: Pedestal fan purchaseRod Speed
  ||   `* OT: Pedestal fan purchaseXeno
  ||    `* OT: Pedestal fan purchaseRod Speed
  ||     `* OT: Pedestal fan purchaseXeno
  ||      `* OT: Pedestal fan purchaseRod Speed
  ||       `* OT: Pedestal fan purchaseXeno
  ||        +* OT: Pedestal fan purchaseSylvia Else
  ||        |`- OT: Pedestal fan purchaseXeno
  ||        `- OT: Pedestal fan purchaseRod Speed
  |`* OT: Pedestal fan purchaseSylvia Else
  | +- OT: Pedestal fan purchaseXeno
  | +* OT: Pedestal fan purchaseDaryl
  | |`* OT: Pedestal fan purchaseMighty Mouse
  | | `- OT: Pedestal fan purchaseXeno
  | +- OT: Pedestal fan purchaseComputer Nerd Kev
  | `- OT: Pedestal fan purchaseRod Speed
  `- OT: Pedestal fan purchaseRod Speed

Pages:12
Re: OT: Pedestal fan purchase

<op.2fnaq7zpbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1477&group=aus.electronics#1477

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.cars,aus.electronics
Subject: Re: OT: Pedestal fan purchase
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2023 04:55:45 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 17:55 UTC

Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote
> Computer Nerd Kev wrote
>> Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid> wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> If you like wall-warts everywhere, then fine.
>> Huh. I can see a few reasons why I wouldn't like a DC pedestal fan,
>> but I honestly never thought that anyone would be bothered by the
>> meer presence of a plugpack on a wall.
>> I suppose they can be awkward to use with extension lead though,
>> which a fan could often be used with.

> Wall Warts are a PITA.

Don't buy that.

> The company buys in a heap of wall warts that are already Aus certified
> for 230V so they don't need tohave the fan itself certified. Cheaping
> out is all it is.

Its bullshit to claim that that's all it is.

Re: OT: Pedestal fan purchase

<op.2fnau1sobyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1478&group=aus.electronics#1478

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.cars,aus.electronics
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2023 04:58:03 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 17:58 UTC

Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid> wrote
> Xeno wrote
>> Computer Nerd Kev wrote
>>> Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid> wrote

>>> Huh. I can see a few reasons why I wouldn't like a DC pedestal fan,
>>> but I honestly never thought that anyone would be bothered by the
>>> meer presence of a plugpack on a wall.
>>>
>>> I suppose they can be awkward to use with extension lead though,
>>> which a fan could often be used with.
>>>
>> Wall Warts are a PITA. The company buys in a heap of wall warts that
>> are already Aus certified for 230V so they don't need to have the fan
>> itself certified. Cheaping out is all it is.

> What puzzles me is how quickly the models change, which presumablymeans
> they have to be re-certified. Are consumers really so shallow that
> they'll refuse to buy something that was already available a year ago?

That's not what its about.

Re: OT: Pedestal fan purchase

<op.2fnawnofbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1479&group=aus.electronics#1479

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.cars,aus.electronics
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2023 04:59:01 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 17:59 UTC

On Fri, 08 Dec 2023 11:07:35 +1100, Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid>
wrote:

> On 08-Dec-23 8:26 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:

>>> If you like wall-warts everywhere, then fine.
>> Huh. I can see a few reasons why I wouldn't like a DC pedestal fan,
>> but I honestly never thought that anyone would be bothered by the
>> meer presence of a plugpack on a wall.
>> I suppose they can be awkward to use with extension lead though,
>> which a fan could often be used with.
>>

> I find that plug packs, especially the higher power ones, often take up
> more than their fair share of space on a power socket, and render the
> adjacent socket unusable.

That's no longer true with switch mode wall warts.

Re: OT: Pedestal fan purchase

<kthje8FmslmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1480&group=aus.electronics#1480

From: dwalford@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars,aus.electronics
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2023 09:25:12 +1100
 by: Daryl - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 22:25 UTC

On 8/12/2023 9:43 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
> On 08-Dec-23 5:18 pm, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:

>>> Wall Warts are a PITA. The company buys in a heap of wall warts that are
>>> already Aus certified for 230V so they don't need to have the fan itself
>>> certified. Cheaping out is all it is.
>>
>> Sure, my fans are all AC ones with chunky knobs to turn, so the
>> idea of DC seems like extra complication to me wherever the PSU is.
>>
>> Besides the certification issue, plugpacks also allow them to use a
>> cheap low-voltage cable running to the fan.
>
> But the cable has to handle a higher current, and will use more metal,
> even if it uses less plastic. It's not clear that there's a saving there.

Could be to do with a Govt regulation somewhere that states that
appliances must use less power, its that way in the automotive world,
some of the changes that manufacturers make don't seem to make any sense
at all until you look at the regulations they must comply with.

--
Daryl

Re: OT: Pedestal fan purchase

<kthrr4FontpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1481&group=aus.electronics#1481

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars,aus.electronics
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2023 11:48:36 +1100
 by: Xeno - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 00:48 UTC

On 9/12/2023 4:55 am, Rod Speed wrote:
> Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote
>> Computer Nerd Kev wrote
>>> Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid> wrote

>>>  Huh. I can see a few reasons why I wouldn't like a DC pedestal fan,
>>> but I honestly never thought that anyone would be bothered by the
>>> meer presence of a plugpack on a wall.
>>>  I suppose they can be awkward to use with extension lead though,
>>> which a fan could often be used with.
>
>> Wall Warts are a PITA.
>
> Don't buy that.

Yeah, I don't buy anything with wall warts either if there's an alternative.

>> The company buys in a heap of wall warts that are already Aus
>> certified for 230V so they don't need tohave the fan itself
>> certified. Cheaping out is all it is.
>
> Its bullshit to claim that that's all it is.

Ok, you enlighten us on *your* reasoning behind the wall wart plague!

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: OT: Pedestal fan purchase

<kti0brFpoeoU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1482&group=aus.electronics#1482

From: "squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.cars,aus.electronics
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2023 13:05:45 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 02:05 UTC

Xeno wrote:
> On 9/12/2023 4:55 am, Rod Speed wrote:
>> Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote
>>> Computer Nerd Kev wrote

>>> Wall Warts are a PITA.
>>
>> Don't buy that.
>
> Yeah, I don't buy anything with wall warts either if there's an
> alternative.
>>
>>> The company buys in a heap of wall warts that are already Aus
>>> certified for 230V so they don't need tohave the fan itself
>>> certified. Cheaping out is all it is.
>>
>> Its bullshit to claim that that's all it is.
>
> Ok, you enlighten us on *your* reasoning behind the wall wart plague!

industry requirements?

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: OT: Pedestal fan purchase

<op.2foekcttbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1483&group=aus.electronics#1483

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.cars,aus.electronics
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2023 19:15:38 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 08:15 UTC

On Sat, 09 Dec 2023 09:25:12 +1100, Daryl <dwalford@westpine.com.au> wrote:

> On 8/12/2023 9:43 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:

>>> Sure, my fans are all AC ones with chunky knobs to turn, so the
>>> idea of DC seems like extra complication to me wherever the PSU is.
>>>
>>> Besides the certification issue, plugpacks also allow them to use a
>>> cheap low-voltage cable running to the fan.
>> But the cable has to handle a higher current, and will use more metal,
>> even if it uses less plastic. It's not clear that there's a saving
>> there.

> Could be to do with a Govt regulation somewherethat states that
> appliances must use less power,

No such animal.

> its that way in the automotive world,

Bullshit it is.

> some of the changes that manufacturers make don't seem to makeany sense
> at all until you look at the regulations they must comply with.

Not true of pedestal fans.

Re: OT: Pedestal fan purchase

<ktim5tFtk51U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1484&group=aus.electronics#1484

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars,aus.electronics
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2023 19:18:04 +1100
 by: Xeno - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 08:18 UTC

On 9/12/2023 1:05 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
> Xeno wrote:
>> On 9/12/2023 4:55 am, Rod Speed wrote:
>>> Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote

>>> Don't buy that.
>>
>> Yeah, I don't buy anything with wall warts either if there's an
>> alternative.

>>> Its bullshit to claim that that's all it is.
>>
>> Ok, you enlighten us on *your* reasoning behind the wall wart plague!
>
> industry requirements?

I already made the Aus industry requirement known - see above.

If a device runs on 230 V AC, then the whole unit needs to be certified,
even if the manufacturer has a voltage converter inside the device. If
they put the voltage converter *outside* the device, buying it from a
company that builds and certifies the external converter, a number of
different devices can be run on the same converter (under its
certification) or changes can be made to the device, all without
triggering a recertification. That saves a hell of a lot of cost

Rod says there's more to it than that. Ok, let's see it.

Note, DC fans are more energy efficient than AC fans but energy
efficiency is not the point here because you can wire the fans direct to
AC mains when you have a built in converter. I have a ceiling fan here
that is direct wired to 230 AC. Obviously it will have a converter in
the case of the unit and, as a consequence, the entire unit will need to
have been certified. But the fact that the fan runs on DC is not the
point. The whole point is the use of a wall wart (plug pack) instead of
wiring the AC direct to the unit and using a built in converter. I have
stated it is cost and the majority of the cost savings would be in not
having a requirement for mains certification on the device (fan), just
on the wall wart.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: OT: Pedestal fan purchase

<op.2foeodcsbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1485&group=aus.electronics#1485

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.cars,aus.electronics
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2023 19:18:03 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 08:18 UTC

Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote
>>> Computer Nerd Kev wrote

>>> Wall Warts are a PITA.

>> Don't buy that.

> Yeah, I don't buy anything with wall warts either if there's an
> alternative.

More fool you, and that's not what I meant.

>>> The company buys in a heap of wall warts that are already Aus
>>> certified for 230V so they don't need tohave the fan itself
>>> certified. Cheaping out is all it is.

>> Its bullshit to claim that that's all it is.

> Ok, you enlighten us on *your* reasoning behind the wall wart plague!

There is no plague.

Its the sensible way to do things.

Re: OT: Pedestal fan purchase

<op.2foeqfjrbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1486&group=aus.electronics#1486

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.cars,aus.electronics
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2023 19:19:17 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 08:19 UTC

Mighty Mouse <squeak!@thecheesefactory.com> wrote
> Xeno wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote
>>> Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote

>>> Don't buy that.
>>
>> Yeah, I don't buy anything with wall warts either if there's an
>> alternative.

>>> Its bullshit to claim that that's all it is.
>>
>> Ok, you enlighten us on *your* reasoning behind the wall wart plague!
>
> industry requirements?

Nope.

Re: OT: Pedestal fan purchase

<ktim8hFtk51U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1487&group=aus.electronics#1487

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars,aus.electronics
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2023 19:19:29 +1100
 by: Xeno - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 08:19 UTC

On 9/12/2023 7:18 pm, Rod Speed wrote:
> Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote
>>> Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote

>>>  Don't buy that.
>
>> Yeah, I don't buy anything with wall warts either if there's an
>> alternative.
>
> More fool you, and that's not what I meant.

>>>  Its bullshit to claim that that's all it is.
>
>> Ok, you enlighten us on *your* reasoning behind the wall wart plague!
>
> There is no plague.
>
> Its the sensible way to do things.

There's a wall wart plague here. Damn near everything has a wall wart
these days.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: OT: Pedestal fan purchase

<op.2fo4x00sbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1488&group=aus.electronics#1488

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.cars,aus.electronics
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 04:45:26 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 17:45 UTC

Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> Yeah, I don't buy anything with wall warts either if there's an
>>> alternative.
>> More fool you, and that's not what I meant.

>>> Ok, you enlighten us on *your* reasoning behind the wall wart plague!
>> There is no plague.
>> Its the sensible way to do things.

> There's a wall wart plague here.

Nope. The same number of plugged in devices regardless
of whether there are powered with a wall wart or not.

> Damn near everything has a wall wart these days.

The same number of plugged in devices regardless
of whether there are powered with a wall wart or not.

Re: OT: Pedestal fan purchase

<ktkjmeFgki5U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1489&group=aus.electronics#1489

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars,aus.electronics
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 12:47:58 +1100
 by: Xeno - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 01:47 UTC

On 10/12/2023 4:45 am, Rod Speed wrote:
> Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote
>>> Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote

>>>  More fool you, and that's not what I meant.

>>>  There is no plague.
>>>  Its the sensible way to do things.
>
>> There's a wall wart plague here.
>
> Nope. The same number of plugged in devices regardless
> of whether there are powered with a wall wart or not.
>
>> Damn near everything has a wall wart these days.
>
> The same number of plugged in devices regardless
> of whether there are powered with a wall wart or not.

Your avoidance of the question noted!

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: OT: Pedestal fan purchase

<op.2fp86afebyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1490&group=aus.electronics#1490

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.cars,aus.electronics
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 19:14:24 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 08:14 UTC

Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> There's a wall wart plague here.

>> Nope. The same number of plugged in devices regardless
>> of whether there are powered with a wall wart or not.

>>> Damn near everything has a wall wart these days.

>> The same number of plugged in devices regardless
>> of whether there are powered with a wall wart or not.

> Your avoidance of the question noted!

No question was avoided, fuckwit.

Re: OT: Pedestal fan purchase

<ktlb9pFm84eU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1491&group=aus.electronics#1491

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars,aus.electronics
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 19:30:49 +1100
 by: Xeno - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 08:30 UTC

On 10/12/2023 7:14 pm, Rod Speed wrote:
> Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote
>>> Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote

>>>  Nope. The same number of plugged in devices regardless
>>> of whether there are powered with a wall wart or not.

>>>  The same number of plugged in devices regardless
>>> of whether there are powered with a wall wart or not.
>
>> Your avoidance of the question noted!
>
> No question was avoided, fuckwit.

I see Rod is back into Rod mode.
--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: OT: Pedestal fan purchase

<ktljigFp4qbU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1492&group=aus.electronics#1492

From: sylvia@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: aus.cars,aus.electronics
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 21:52:00 +1100
 by: Sylvia Else - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 10:52 UTC

On 10-Dec-23 7:30 pm, Xeno wrote:
> On 10/12/2023 7:14 pm, Rod Speed wrote:
>> Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> Your avoidance of the question noted!
>>
>> No question was avoided, fuckwit.
>
> I see Rod is back into Rod mode.

No, wait, he hasn't mentioned any flushing yet.

Sylvia.

Re: OT: Pedestal fan purchase

<ktllcdFo1a0U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1493&group=aus.electronics#1493

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars,aus.electronics
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 22:22:53 +1100
 by: Xeno - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 11:22 UTC

On 10/12/2023 9:52 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
> On 10-Dec-23 7:30 pm, Xeno wrote:
>> On 10/12/2023 7:14 pm, Rod Speed wrote:
>>> Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote

>>> No question was avoided, fuckwit.
>>
>> I see Rod is back into Rod mode.
>
> No, wait, he hasn't mentioned any flushing yet.
>
> Sylvia.

It will come, guaranteed!

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: OT: Pedestal fan purchase

<op.2fqz1xkzbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1494&group=aus.electronics#1494

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.cars,aus.electronics
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 04:54:59 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 17:54 UTC

You never left Xeno mode, gutless.

And there was never any question.